• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
You’d be thinking that having renewed so much fleet and on services with lower profiles, the M6 will be due something new soon.

Guess that’ll be somewhat dependent on the tender exercise and Superbus network etc
Yes, I agree. The Mousehole Solos really are knackered, and look it as well. The pink paintwork hasn't worn well and is now faded matt.

henairs

Yes, I agree. The Mousehole Solos really are knackered, and look it as well. The pink paintwork hasn't worn well and is now faded matt.
If there that bad better send them up to Yeovil as we are the centre of all things knackered.
Also includes buses !
Mike R

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
If there that bad better send them up to Yeovil as we are the centre of all things knackered.
Also includes buses !
Mike R

You being a bit hard on yourself Mike? :p

It's fair to say that Kernow has done rather well with investment, with a constructive local authority and better operating territory. First Yeovil is destined to rely on rather mature cascades.

henairs

You being a bit hard on yourself Mike? :p

It's fair to say that Kernow has done rather well with investment, with a constructive local authority and better operating territory. First Yeovil is destined to rely on rather mature cascades.
Hi Wazoo,
Like to have a laugh at myself now and again to keep sane so to speak.
We have two extremes as such in Yeovil with BOS bangers and SWC with more modern stock so plenty of choice. As I like to use the train now and again SWC are very handy as they serve both stations.
And SWC are our biggest operator nowadays with more routes in and around the town.
Kernow have improved a lot the last few years which is only right for a busy county.
Mike R

MB162435

Established Member
Tinner 33451 at Falmouth Moor in between duties today at 13:40 after working a 231 service to Truro College earlier in the day

Fellow Tinner 33452 was on U3 services and 33467 on U4 duties, so a bit of red amongst the sea of blue today

Whereas Uni MMC 33471 has spent the day on T1/T2 services, currently finishing it's day on the 19:05 T1 service from Truro to Camborne

Attachments

• IMG_20191008_134850.jpg
    IMG_20191008_134850.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Hi Wazoo,
Like to have a laugh at myself now and again to keep sane so to speak.
We have two extremes as such in Yeovil with BOS bangers and SWC with more modern stock so plenty of choice. As I like to use the train now and again SWC are very handy as they serve both stations.
And SWC are our biggest operator nowadays with more routes in and around the town.
Kernow have improved a lot the last few years which is only right for a busy county.
Mike R
Too right - a bit of self deprecation is good for the soul.

In general, SWC seem a decent operation though I’ve not traveled on them much. Fleet is fairly modern with Solos and e200s.

First seem to be bumping along with an average fleet age that seems fairly mature. Newest is a single 10 year old Solo with most being 2006 Darts, or do they have newer fleet that I’ve not seen?

henairs

Too right - a bit of self deprecation is good for the soul.

In general, SWC seem a decent operation though I’ve not traveled on them much. Fleet is fairly modern with Solos and e200s.

First seem to be bumping along with an average fleet age that seems fairly mature. Newest is a single 10 year old Solo with most being 2006 Darts, or do they have newer fleet that I’ve not seen?
Afraid First Yeovil's newest ! Vehicle is 12 years old being Solo 53209 an 07 vintage machine.
Oldest will be the 52 reg 43906 for now with two 03 reg Solo's close behind.
In comparison SWC have a 19 reg Streetlight short variant but still operate an 04 Solo on a regular basis. Coaches in their fleet vary from a couple of ex Safeway, South Petherton coaches one being K835 HUM still in later Safeway silver livery up to an 18 reg Scania touring coach.
Quite a few of the ex Dorset County Council vehicles have also found their way into the SWC fleet.
Cheers, Mike R

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Afraid First Yeovil's newest ! Vehicle is 12 years old being Solo 53209 an 07 vintage machine.
Oldest will be the 52 reg 43906 for now with two 03 reg Solo's close behind.
In comparison SWC have a 19 reg Streetlight short variant but still operate an 04 Solo on a regular basis. Coaches in their fleet vary from a couple of ex Safeway, South Petherton coaches one being K835 HUM still in later Safeway silver livery up to an 18 reg Scania touring coach.
Quite a few of the ex Dorset County Council vehicles have also found their way into the SWC fleet.
Cheers, Mike R

Ah 53209.... maybe that's where the 09 Solo bit came in :) So average age is probably about 14 years old. Mind you, they do have a bit of modernity with the associated SPS fleet that gets garaged at Reckleford - think I saw some in there. In fact, the depot is a real throwback and you walk up and could easily expect to see a leaf green National on the pits!

The SWC fleet does seem a lot newer though with some older examples. When they're tidy, they're good but the odd one is a little battle scarred. However, still considerably better than First.

MB162435

Established Member
Tridents 33067 and 33084 along with 'The Lizard' East Lanc 32758, were helping out on T1/T2 services today

Accelerator59

Tridents 33067 and 33084 along with 'The Lizard' East Lanc 32758, were helping out on T1/T2 services today
Funny you should mention that, I came head to head with 33084 about 20 minutes ago (10:05pm)at the top of Redruth so had to reverse back a good 50 yards or so :lol:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Yellow Boardmasters on the U4 and a Dart on the A17 (the four buses I've seen on the latter today were all different types, different colours, two s/d, two d/d, just to keep passengers peering through the gloom at bus stops, on their toes!)

Whiteway215

Established Member
When are Cornwall Council due to announce the result of putting their network out to tender?