• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
An amazing website, totally ignoring what is going on around it. The excuse that it hasn't been amended in the last few days doesn't wash, because their latest tweet on it was today, announcing 'only nine days to go'. Does Neville Chamberlain head this organisation? I'd say it was unbelievable, but this is a Council that can inform me by letter that the reason my car received a parking ticket the other week was because it had been 'over three hours' in a disabled parking zone 'between 9 a.m. and 10.24 a.m.' which wasn't a misprint as my parking ticket was dated 10.24, and the disabled bay only functions from 9 a.m.!

richw

Veteran Member
I see the timetable planned to be effective from 29 March has been removed. Not in the least surprising.

hard copies now available.

as of now no changes to FK published services for Corina. Told due to life line nature to key workers and low frequencies on majority of routes

Last edited:

MB162435

Established Member
hard copies now available.

as of now no changes to FK published services for Corina. Told due to life line nature to key workers and low frequencies on majority of routes
Quickly got one this morning during a connection after reading your post, so thanks for the heads up

Not use to it being so thin and the map so empty in the middle of the county

Apparently Kernow mentioned in a comment on Facebook that the 102 won't be returning this year now as originally planned, and is now part of the revised 24 route

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Quickly got one this morning during a connection after reading your post, so thanks for the heads up

Not use to it being so thin and the map so empty in the middle of the county

Apparently Kernow mentioned in a comment on Facebook that the 102 won't be returning this year now as originally planned, and is now part of the revised 24 route
An interesting one - a complete timetable booklet of services which may never work to these times! I find it completely unfeasible that, like the squaddie who was 'the only man in step', Cornwall can buck the trend and not only have much reduced bus services but actual increases come 30th March. I can see why FK are still taking the official position in the current climate, but in reality Cornwall is probably going to be worse affected economically than most because the visitors will in the main be no longer coming, any in doubt being told to stay away by tourism chiefs and local MPs fearful for Treliske Hospital being unable to cope with ANY increase in admissions by those who don't live here. First should be contracted by the council to operate more park and ride buses serving the Royal Cornwall, either shorts from Langarth or the full route, with double deckers as necessary. It'd be a good gesture to make it free travel too. Those open toppers really are going to be carrying an awful lot of fresh air!!

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member

All day time 24 visiting Heligan. 24 had 30 mins spare each direction so makes sense

MB162435

Established Member
An interesting one - a complete timetable booklet of services which may never work to these times! I find it completely unfeasible that, like the squaddie who was 'the only man in step', that Cornwall can buck the trend and not only have much reduced bus services but actual increases come 30th March. I can see why FK are still taking the official position in the current climate, but in reality Cornwall is probably going to be worse affected economically than most because the visitors will in the main be no longer coming, any in doubt being told to stay away by tourism chiefs and local MPs fearful for Treliske Hospital being unable to cope with ANY increase in admissions by those who don't live here. First should be contracted by the council to operate more park and ride buses serving the Royal Cornwall, either shorts from Langarth or the full route, with double deckers as necessary. It'd be a good gesture to make it free travel too. Those open toppers really are going to be carrying an awful lot of fresh air!!
Kernow is quite unfortunate with their new network built around Truro College and tourist destinations, college is finished until September now and who knows when the tourists will come

richw

Veteran Member
Kernow is quite unfortunate with their new network built around Truro College and tourist destinations, college is finished until September now and who knows when the tourists will come

I’m led to believe the college buses are (as of this morning) still running...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Why, for .... sake?

Edit - I realise why, I guess, because FK haven't heard anything from Cornwall about cancelling them. Still, it's only Council Taxpayers' money, isn't it?

Last edited:

Andyh82

Established Member
I’m surprised they’ve done a printed book, although I’m guessing it’s a short print run, as there were supposed to be further improvements at spring bank so presumably another book.

Does the government keeping open schools for children of key workers include sixth form colleges. I would have thought over 16s could stay at home on their own, so the vast network of Truro College buses wouldn’t be needed.

I’ve got a week booked to come down and visit early June, perfectly scheduled so it’s the summer season but the college buses are still operational which I haven’t seen before when I last visited a few years ago in August. Best laid plans and all that. I’m hoping to rebook for September, let’s hope it’s a heatwave.

MB162435

Established Member
Believe some students are still going in but only a handful I hear from people I know who work there

Removing services at such short notice would surely muck up drivers rotas, so easier to carry on as normal until the scheduled Easter break next week

richw

Veteran Member
There is also no provision for this in law for short notice changes for route registration and timetable changes. I’d hope common sense prevailed but the traffic commissioner is there to enforce legislation, which hasn’t been changed. So in theory the full notice period needs to be given to made amendments

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There is also no provision for this in law for short notice changes for route registration and timetable changes. I’d hope common sense prevailed but the traffic commissioner is there to enforce legislation, which hasn’t been changed. So in theory the full notice period needs to be given to made amendments
There is provision, specifically the Statutory Guidance issued by the Traffic Commissioners of Great Britain on 17/3/20 entitled 'contingency and emergency planning, COVID-19', with the express aim of seeking to support the industry through flexible working practices and a proportionate approach. I fail to see why Cornwall would be treated any differently in this regard. Looking through the document, with all its legalese, it makes clear that the T.C.s would only be taking action if road safety was compromised.

richw

Veteran Member
There is provision, specifically the Statutory Guidance issued by the Traffic Commissioners of Great Britain on 17/3/20 entitled 'contingency and emergency planning, COVID-19', with the express aim of seeking to support the industry through flexible working practices and a proportionate approach. I fail to see why Cornwall would be treated any differently in this regard. Looking through the document, with all its legalese, it makes clear that the T.C.s would only be taking action if road safety was compromised.

I missed this guidance amongst everything else.

places that are reducing frequency are reducing from 5-10 min frequencies to hourly. Most routes here are already hourly or less. How far do we cut them whilst still providing that essential service to get key workers to work? There’s one chap I talk to often on the 1725 st Austell to Bodmin on his way home, he needs To catch the first bus every morning to get to work from Bodmin to st Austell. He’s in a so called key worker role

Goldfish62

Established Member
Removing services at such short notice would surely muck up drivers rotas, so easier to carry on as normal until the scheduled Easter break next week
It's being done seemingly everywhere else in the UK. Companies are facing an existential crisis, hence why the trade unions are agreeing to rota changes in a matter of a few days notice.

Andyh82

Established Member

places that are reducing frequency are reducing from 5-10 min frequencies to hourly. Most routes here are already hourly or less. How far do we cut them whilst still providing that essential service to get key workers to work? There’s one chap I talk to often on the 1725 st Austell to Bodmin on his way home, he needs To catch the first bus every morning to get to work from Bodmin to st Austell. He’s in a so called key worker role
I think in Kernow’s case it’s probably that they should stick on the winter timetable. Don’t introduce the improvements and don’t introduce the summer Atlantic Coasters. Also no need for the U3 or T3, and maybe the U1/U2 and T1/T2 could be halved in frequency? I know that’d be hourly at Penzanace and St Ives ends though.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

I wouldn't presume to know the answer to that one: whatever you cut is going to affect someone. However, those open top tourist-oriented services, the Lizard to Truro College, the 15 minute frequency on the M6, and some services on the Falmouth-Truro-Newquay corridor are obvious ones to me, but it's really many of the newly-contracted GCB routes (and journeys) that'd justify pruning, or culling, even before they start. There's plenty of scope to introduce them at a later stage, though only a rose-tinted optimist would think that's 2020.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I think in Kernow’s case it’s probably that they should stick on the winter timetable..
As I posted a few days ago - it'd mean some evening journeys operated by GCB, but locals are used to buses in every conceivable livery anyway and wouldn't care!

Goldfish62

Established Member
I wouldn't presume to know the answer to that one: whatever you cut is going to affect someone. However, those open top tourist-oriented services, the Lizard to Truro College, the 15 minute frequency on the M6, and some services on the Falmouth-Truro-Newquay corridor are obvious ones to me, but it's really many of the newly-contracted GCB routes (and journeys) that'd justify pruning, or culling, even before they start. There's plenty of scope to introduce them at a later stage, though only a rose-tinted optimist would think that's 2020.
Certainly don't need the 3bph weekdays and 2bph Sundays on the M6 from next week. The A2 surely isn't needed at all and surely the A1 doesn't need to be hourly. The A3 would still be needed in some form if TfC aren't running the 7.

It's of course not only what's needed for passengers, but the survival of the company, as with most others, is at stake. You can't run empty buses around with no revenue coming in for very long before your cash starts running out.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Certainly don't need the 3bph weekdays and 2bph Sundays on the M6 from next week. The A2 surely isn't needed at all and surely the A1 doesn't need to be hourly. The A3 would still be needed in some form if TfC aren't running the 7.

It's of course not only what's needed for passengers, but the survival of the company, as with most others, is at stake. You can't run empty buses around with no revenue coming in for very long before your cash starts running out.

Yup - you're probably looking at a reduced frequency on the Tinners, the U lines, the M6 and pulling some of the A1s whilst cancelling stuff like the A2 and A3s. In other areas, there's not much to reduce down

Busaholic

Veteran Member

Cornwall Council could well step in to support some journeys for the time being if First were to go to them and tell them that they'd be otherwise withdrawn.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Cornwall Council could well step in to support some journeys for the time being if First were to go to them and tell them that they'd be otherwise withdrawn.
Yes can be done under de minimis arrangements without tendering.

MB162435

Established Member
44967 now on U1/U2 duties after coming off Falmouth locals, normally something that would be extremely surprising but currently something very sensible

richw

Veteran Member
44967 now on U1/U2 duties after coming off Falmouth locals, normally something that would be extremely surprising but currently something very sensible

personally I’d rather a decker can have more space between me and the passengers!

MB162435

Established Member
personally I’d rather a decker can have more space between me and the passengers!
Very true, good time to be a train driver at the moment or to drive the U3, I always try to sit a good distance from the nearest other passenger, until someone gets on and sit right in front or behind me!

Luckily yesterday I had the top deck to myself on the U1, a novelty for me on the U1, especially this time of year

GBM

Some College services were registered for public use, thus appear in the public timetable, so need to (currently!) run as scheduled.
Likewise the U1 to/from Richard Lander school.