• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Goldfish62

Established Member
Given that they have produced a full quality timetable book, shows that they won't be making any changes to the TfC timetable for the foreseeable future, otherwise it would be a complete waste of time and money, the same reasons why Kernow are keeping to leaflets for the time being so they probably are just keeping to what the council deems necessary

The 2020 Vision is certainly dead in the water for this year, but hopefully the post Covid world still allows it to be sustainable in full
The TfC timetable book is for the Summer. There will be changes later in the year when FK deregister or reduce services. The current FK registrations expire on 30 September.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The 2020 Vision is certainly dead in the water for this year, but hopefully the post Covid world still allows it to be sustainable in full

Best will in the world, none of us can say that as we don't know what was in 2020 Vision. There are undoubtedly things that will change with CV19 but similarly, other objectives may progress (and even accelerate) such as the recent schools and college wins.

MB162435

Established Member
Best will in the world, none of us can say that as we don't know what was in 2020 Vision. There are undoubtedly things that will change with CV19 but similarly, other objectives may progress (and even accelerate) such as the recent schools and college wins.

I agree, like everyone is pretty much saying, some things for better or worse will never return to the way it was and Transport is really one of the main sectors effected, and us outsiders will likely never know what could of been with Kernow's 2020 Vision

Kernow will more than likely focus on the school and college contracts more now then before, as it is one of the more stable forms of income going forward with tourism and leisure travel despite increasing, is unpredictable long term unlike schools and colleges, who the Government has confirmed will return in full in September

MB162435

Established Member
The TfC timetable book is for the Summer. There will be changes later in the year when FK deregister or reduce services. The current FK registrations expire on 30 September.
Ah right thanks for the info, be interesting to see what Kernow keeps or get rid of for the Winter, unless it's just what was originally intended to be introduced for the 29th March?

richw

Veteran Member
Most of the current TFC registrations have an end date end of August.

MB162435

Established Member
Government now looks to be actively encouraging use of public trainsport again now, so might allow Kernow to increase service levels if passenger levels increase as a result

TfC looks like they aren't planning any changes till the Winter timetable now

Goldfish62

Established Member
Government now looks to be actively encouraging use of public trainsport again now, so might allow Kernow to increase service levels if passenger levels increase as a result

TfC looks like they aren't planning any changes till the Winter timetable now
I think it's more not discouraging it rather than encouraging it.

Buses around Penzance today are pretty busy. I think they're going to struggle with 50% capacity.

richw

Veteran Member
Buses around Penzance today are pretty busy. I think they're going to struggle with 50% capacity.

The 50% can be increased at driver discretion, so if people in “bubbles“ or households sit together it frees another row up. It’s basically one household or bubble per row.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The 50% can be increased at driver discretion, so if people in “bubbles“ or households sit together it frees another row up. It’s basically one household or bubble per row.
And of course a lot of tourists travel as groups.

MB162435

Established Member
I think it's more not discouraging it rather than encouraging it.

In particular during the peak times, people can now use transport at any time of day now so no longer saying avoid the peaks, but they aren't gonna encourage traveling then

Certainly distancing on buses is becoming tougher as time goes on, looks to be just advised now instead of enforced, although yet to see a service with 'bus full' displayed yet

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A 'Lizard' single decker on the A17 at lunchtime, preceded by a 16. The former had passengers on, and took on more at Green Market. The A17 arrived there with none, and left in the same condition.

MB162435

Established Member
Poppy Solo 53803 has found a new home with Essex Independent Trustybus, entered service still wearing it's Poppy livery

Goldfish62

Established Member
A 'Lizard' single decker on the A17 at lunchtime, preceded by a 16. The former had passengers on, and took on more at Green Market. The A17 arrived there with none, and left in the same condition.
I saw the Solo heading towards St Ives earlier in the morning and I haven't seen such a full bus for months.

I note the open toppers have no social distancing in the open top section which I reckon makes their capacity around 55.

At Penzance bus station FK timetables in the standard panel format are on display rather than the usual full poster, while for TfC there's no indication of its existence except for an outdated Covid-19 timetable notice and departures on the real time screen. The NT information Office remains closed (why?) which means there's no way of obtaining FK timetables.

The bus station toilets are open, but unhelpfully at a time when many people have stopped carrying cash, are charging 20p with coins only. The railway station toilets are out of bounds because there are staff at the station entrance preventing people entering (unless, presumably, you're catching a train, which GWR doesn't want you to do anyway).

Last edited:

Yarp1

New FK timetables in the form of an open out leaflet are being put on all buses in sumnercourt Not sure about buses down west but expect the same today or over next few days

MB162435

Established Member
I saw the Solo heading towards St Ives earlier in the morning and I haven't seen such a full bus for months.

I note the open toppers have no social distancing in the open top section which I reckon makes their capacity around 55.

At Penzance bus station FK timetables in the standard panel format are on display rather than the usual full poster, while for TfC there's no indication of its existence except for an outdated Covid-19 timetable notice and departures on the real time screen. The NT information Office remains closed (why?) which means there's no way of obtaining FK timetables.

The bus station toilets are open, but unhelpfully at a time when many people have stopped carrying cash, are charging 20p with coins only. The railway station toilets are out of bounds because there are staff at the station entrance preventing people entering (unless, presumably, you're catching a train, which GWR doesn't want you to do anyway).
Provision of toilets at the moment is not that good in many areas, they are closed at Camborne bus station as well, believe the nearest ones would be Wetherspoons

Not only can you not get a bus timetable in Penzance but as you say staff provent you even to go in and get a train one, how staff crowding around the entrance enables distancing I don't know, and not ideal trying to find 20p when you are using card all time

Yarp1

Provision of toilets at the moment is not that good in many areas, they are closed at Camborne bus station as well, believe the nearest ones would be Wetherspoons

Not only can you not get a bus timetable in Penzance but as you say staff provent you even to go in and get a train one, how staff crowding around the entrance enables distancing I don't know, and not ideal trying to find 20p when you are using card all time
Have a look on a bus or ask a FK driver for a timetable as they are available from buses based our of sumnercourt today.
With ref to toilet, in st austell the first day the toilets were open on the station platform to the public the urinal had paper shove in it to block it and was upto station staff to clear it. Any wonder staff dont want the public to use toilets as they get miss used and blocked because some numpty thinks its funny

MB162435

Established Member
Have a look on a bus or ask a FK driver for a timetable as they are available from buses based our of sumnercourt today.
With ref to toilet, in st austell the first day the toilets were open on the station platform to the public the urinal had paper shove in it to block it and was upto station staff to clear it. Any wonder staff dont want the public to use toilets as they get miss used and blocked because some numpty thinks its funny
Thanks for the heads up, will ask next time I'm on a 87 or 91, unless the Uni services have them on board before hand

To be fair a passenger could of done it, but let's face it in St Austell it could been anyone more likely youths tho, still no reason to punish everyone for it

Yarp1

Thanks for the heads up, will ask next time I'm on a 87 or 91, unless the Uni services have them on board before hand

To be fair a passenger could of done it, but let's face it in St Austell it could been anyone more likely youths tho, still no reason to punish everyone for it
I know all 87s and 91s and A5s have timetables on them unless they have run out as they seem to be going quick. Probably have them in truro bus station today I expect but cant be certain

MB162435

Established Member
I know all 87s and 91s and A5s have timetables on them unless they have run out as they seem to be going quick. Probably have them in truro bus station today I expect but cant be certain
Imagine they would be going like hot cakes at the moment, everyone wants one at the same time

Is Truro's waiting room open to passengers now?

Goldfish62

Established Member

All the public toilets in Penzance are now open according to the council website, and also near the station is the Longboat Inn, which is part of the free community toilet scheme, so there are options even if the railway station is guarded like Fort Knox.

MB162435

Established Member
All the public toilets in Penzance are now open according to the council website, and also near the station is the Longboat Inn, which is part of the free community toilet scheme, so there are options even if the railway station is guarded like Fort Knox.
I must admit everywhere is getting better, good job with places getting busier, bus rides are not the most enjoyable thing when a visit is necessary!

Penzance is the only station that seems to be guarded at the moment, Truro obviously has the barriers, just presumed it was related to suspension of ticket checks

83G/84D

Established Member
Imagine they would be going like hot cakes at the moment, everyone wants one at the same time

Is Truro's waiting room open to passengers now?

Yes as I posted previously it is open HOWEVER you must wear a face mask inside it.

83G/84D

Established Member
The "Tic - Tac" Gemini 32637 is out on Tinner duties but not tracking as itself, in fact I am unsure what it is tracking as or if it is at all.

MB162435

Established Member
Yes as I posted previously it is open HOWEVER you must wear a face mask inside it.
Sorry forgot you posted about it the other day, perfectly understandable about wearing a mask, just a way of life now for everyone, would be quicker to list where it's not compulsory then where it is now tho

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I wasn't even allowed into the station to pick up a train timetable (and, if I was able to, ask at their enquiry office about bus timetables, acting the innocent as always) though the friendly enough woman who turned me away said the printed train timetable was pure fiction anyway, and I needed to go online. Glad to hear the Longboat is part of the community toilet scheme, as the two I know of in Market Jew Street involve a lot of stairs to negotiate, which I don't think is true of the Longboat.

Re the travel info office, it's always been a drawback imo being operated by the National Trust, and until its main Cornish properties reopen I'd imagine the Visitor Centre is closed too.No info on website.

Would be an excellent idea for buses to carry stocks of timetables for the summer season: no lack of space now!

TechDan2002

I had to sprint up to Tesco last time I was in Camborne to go, it’s awkward queuing to enter a supermarket only to leave 2 minutes later having not purchased anything. I understand the reason for the 20p barriers at Penzance but given the discouragement of cash use right now it’s irritating having to have small change on you to get in.

MB162435

Established Member
I had to sprint up to Tesco last time I was in Camborne to go, it’s awkward queuing to enter a supermarket only to leave 2 minutes later having not purchased anything. I understand the reason for the 20p barriers at Penzance but given the discouragement of cash use right now it’s irritating having to have small change on you to get in.
Definitely we all have our locations wether ideal or not, Bodmin I use to use Morrisons when using the 27, Penzance the railway station and so on

Falmouth thankfully got rid of the 20p charge for their toilets, only Penzance and St Mawes I know of that still charge, shame toilets have never taken off on buses although would be tricky going on our roads!