• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

cnjb8

Established Member
Let's just say, it's the a**e end of Slough. Having had a few jobs at the station and dealing with some of the locals, it's not an area I'm in a rush to go back to!

Although, linking this back to the thread, the last time I had to go to Slough for work purposes, the FK / GW Timetable / Bike Bus dart was parked outside. :lol:
I know what youre saying. I've been to Slough about six times visiting family in Windsor and have vowed never to return again :lol: :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Although by no means full up, saw two quite good loads on the A2 this afternoon in the going to St Ives direction - the first one, mid afternoon, I could only see downstairs but it was about a third full just outside Pz, and a late afternoon trip down Marazion By-Pass saw the open part about half full. My proportions are based on the traditional seating arrangements, as I can't quite get my head around what is verboten now.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Although by no means full up, saw two quite good loads on the A2 this afternoon in the going to St Ives direction - the first one, mid afternoon, I could only see downstairs but it was about a third full just outside Pz, and a late afternoon trip down Marazion By-Pass saw the open part about half full. My proportions are based on the traditional seating arrangements, as I can't quite get my head around what is verboten now.
The open section of the buses has no taped off seats. I guess this makes the capacity around 50.

Blackpudding

At least they’re a bit tidier than most 18/19 yr old deckers. Just a little oddity is that they’re sending ones in blue unibus livery rather than those in Urban (albeit with purple fronts from the 3/4)

My posting was based on information posted elsewhere from somebody who was based at Bath. It may well be that the vehicles from the 3/4 may also go but that's a case of wait and see.

Whiteway215

Established Member
My posting was based on information posted elsewhere from somebody who was based at Bath. It may well be that the vehicles from the 3/4 may also go but that's a case of wait and see.
I checked on the Government website and all of the Bath Spa Uni service B7TLs 32069/70/75/76/83/96 are taxed so this may add to the expectation they are Kernow bound. Good luck to the Kernow drivers who are reportedly collecting vehicles from Bath today, whatever those buses prove to be!

Lizard1324

I'm surprised that first haven't yet restarted the L1 becuase today the village was heaving and saw a few tfc buses busy and saw an 03 dart and 57 plate enviro nearly full to the brim, but no social distancing but what do you expect its tfc

Goldfish62

Established Member
I'm surprised that first haven't yet restarted the L1 becuase today the village was heaving and saw a few tfc buses busy and saw an 03 dart and 57 plate enviro nearly full to the brim, but no social distancing but what do you expect its tfc
Personally I'd be surprised if it ever sees the light of day. As with all operators FK are going to have enough challenges with the viability of their core network without taking a further risk with a new commercial route.

Lizard1324

Personally I'd be surprised if it ever sees the light of day. As with all operators FK are going to have enough challenges with the viability of their core network without taking a further risk with a new commercial route.
Ye i agree but shorely there are drivers still not working from the helston depot and while driving past yesterday there was a group of unused solo sr and old darts that could be put to use, but probaly wont

MB162435

Established Member
I would personally prefer Kernow increase the frequency of services on other routes like the T1/T2/U2 first, before launching new commercial services

The Lizard services will carlm down once the tourist season ends and who knows what the tourist season will look like next year, so could be years before Kernow can successfully launch the L1 and the other new commercial services if they ever can

Lizard1324

I would personally prefer Kernow increase the frequency of services on other routes like the T1/T2/U2 first, before launching new commercial services

The Lizard services will carlm down once the tourist season ends and who knows what the tourist season will look like next year, so could be years before Kernow can successfully launch the L1 and the other new commercial services if they ever can
Ye probaly true will have to wait till college buses return to the village to photograph kernow here again, but i should be able to get a real good mix come September with trident east lance, presidents and maybe a few alx400 and of course the geminis which have only been to the village maybe one time when the first 07 plate gemini joined kernow last year and spend a week at the helston depot.

richw

Veteran Member
L1 will happen, it’s pretty much off peak between schools and colleges remember from the timetable, so would have little financial risk.
Schools and colleges are back in 4 weeks.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Agreed, but looking at the loadings on the T1 / T2, which will probably only get worse once the tourists have gone home, I wouldn't be surprised if they are never restored.

Much will depend on how long emergency government funding lasts.

83G/84D

Established Member
Regarding the loadings on the T1/T2: my general feeling is that despite the restrictions in place regarding bus capacity / social distancing most buses have plenty of room on board. I have yet to see a bus full or anything like as busy as prior to covid 19. Having said that I am not sure many holidaymakers use the T1 or T2, it seems to be people going to or coming from Truro (shopping, college or hospital) or short hops such as Camborne to Hayle or Redruth.

Given that some people may still be working from home and some older people are not venturing out so much for social occasions I am not convinced that the Tinner routes need an increase in frequency.

I just don't think that people at least in Camborne / Redruth are using the buses as much as they used to, the TfC buses are nearly empty in and out of Camborne.

Perhaps some people are still confused by the changes to bus services or just aren't going out so much?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Regarding the loadings on the T1/T2: my general feeling is that despite the restrictions in place regarding bus capacity / social distancing most buses have plenty of room on board. I have yet to see a bus full or anything like as busy as prior to covid 19. Having said that I am not sure many holidaymakers use the T1 or T2, it seems to be people going to or coming from Truro (shopping, college or hospital) or short hops such as Camborne to Hayle or Redruth.

Given that some people may still be working from home and some older people are not venturing out so much for social occasions I am not convinced that the Tinner routes need an increase in frequency.

I just don't think that people at least in Camborne / Redruth are using the buses as much as they used to, the TfC buses are nearly empty in and out of Camborne.

Perhaps some people are still confused by the changes to bus services or just aren't going out so much?

Can't speak for Cornwall but it is apparent elsewhere that bus ridership is well down, probably at only 30-40% of typical pre-Covid levels. There have been some instances of substantial frequency increases on certain routes to allow for social distancing but otherwise, there's been a mirroring of reduced capacity and reduced demand.

I wasn't expecting First Kernow to be introducing a raft of new links and services prior to Covid and certainly not now. Prior to Covid, the only real surprise was the registering of the L1 (and even then, it's not a big punt) plus the X19. The other registrations (A5, 47) were not a huge shock. In relation to the Tinners, I appreciate that the between Hayle and St Ives you're going to have quite a few holidaymakers but on the rest of the routes....? I'm with @83G/84D in that most of the trade is actually locals doing a selection of short hops, rather than visitors enjoying the tourist hotspots of 'druth and Camborne.

MB162435

Established Member
Although I would like to see all Kernow services return to their Pre- Covid frequencies as many of you say the need to is pretty low at present, will likely be towards the end of next year at the earliest depending on how bad the second wave is

But I can't see places like The Lizard needing anymore services at present, with many of the TfC services likely to nearly empty during the Winter months

83G/84D

Established Member
Can't speak for Cornwall but it is apparent elsewhere that bus ridership is well down, probably at only 30-40% of typical pre-Covid levels. There have been some instances of substantial frequency increases on certain routes to allow for social distancing but otherwise, there's been a mirroring of reduced capacity and reduced demand.

I wasn't expecting First Kernow to be introducing a raft of new links and services prior to Covid and certainly not now. Prior to Covid, the only real surprise was the registering of the L1 (and even then, it's not a big punt) plus the X19. The other registrations (A5, 47) were not a huge shock. In relation to the Tinners, I appreciate that the between Hayle and St Ives you're going to have quite a few holidaymakers but on the rest of the routes....? I'm with @83G/84D in that most of the trade is actually locals doing a selection of short hops, rather than visitors enjoying the tourist hotspots of 'druth and Camborne.

Is there really a number of holidaymakers between Hayle & St Ives? Any that are staying at Gwithian or Hayle Towans aren't going to walk to the nearest bus stop to go to St Ives or anywhere else, they'll get in the car. Same for people staying in St Ives or Carbis Bay area, why would they get the bus to Hayle to go to the town or beach?

The A4 is useful but infrequent.

Goldfish62

Established Member
As @richw says, much of the fixed cost is already covered by the schools contracts so the marginal operating costs aren’t that great.
Yes, but the revenue still needs to exceed the marginal costs and I'd have thought that was a pretty tall order for a new speculative commercial route competing with other services in the current circumstances.

Goldfish62

Established Member
It doesn't help that the largest operator of local bus services in Cornwall hasn't bothered posting any timetables.

On the GCB thread someone also cited two examples of previous regular bus users now going by car.

83G/84D

Established Member
The publicity to the wider audience about the changes was virtually non existent, a couple of articles in local newspapers was all I saw.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Yes, but the revenue still needs to exceed the marginal costs and I'd have thought that was a pretty tall order for a new speculative commercial route competing with other services in the current circumstances.

Indeed though that marginal cost is really derv plus perhaps a ppm for tyres and maintenance. You're probably looking at £6/7 per hour in terms of costs, as the fixed costs of the vehicle and driver and local/central overheads are already paid for.

Is there really a number of holidaymakers between Hayle & St Ives? Any that are staying at Gwithian or Hayle Towans aren't going to walk to the nearest bus stop to go to St Ives or anywhere else, they'll get in the car. Same for people staying in St Ives or Carbis Bay area, why would they get the bus to Hayle to go to the town or beach?

The A4 is useful but infrequent.

I've definitely seen folks holidaying getting the bus from Hayle, Lelant and Carbis Bay into St Ives. Also, on the A4, it's surprisingly popular from the Holiday Park near Gwithian into St Ives; after all, most people have now twigged that you don't take a car to St Ives. Going the other way.... Hayle ain't the greatest draw, granted.