• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On the Buses

Andyh82

Established Member
You’d have thought they might have publicallu announced what the summer network is going to be by now, now that staycations are in everyone’s mind

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
You’d have thought they might have publicallu announced what the summer network is going to be by now, now that staycations are in everyone’s mind
I don't know if your choice of holiday destination is going to be hugely influenced by the local bus network but once you're there, you'll look to explore. I guess the other consideration was getting through this last Covid "gate" on Monday and how things look moving forward

Given how good First South West is with publicity, I'm sure that the release will be timed appropriately.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I don't know if your choice of holiday destination is going to be hugely influenced by the local bus network but once you're there, you'll look to explore. I guess the other consideration was getting through this last Covid "gate" on Monday and how things look moving forward

Given how good First South West is with publicity, I'm sure that the release will be timed appropriately.
And the good news is that the Penzance National Trust information office is back open, so people will be able to get timetables in the area this year. No idea if GCB ones will be stocked.

Andyh82

Established Member

Just that we’ve seen Transdev announce what they are planning for the summer on Coastliner, and Go North East announce the X11 bus to Scarborough, and various similar situations. Therefore I’m surprised First South West didn’t announce what they are doing this summer on Monday to tie in with the restrictions easing

On the Buses

Just that we’ve seen Transdev announce what they are planning for the summer on Coastliner, and Go North East announce the X11 bus to Scarborough, and various similar situations. Therefore I’m surprised First South West didn’t announce what they are doing this summer on Monday to tie in with the restrictions easing
Because we’ve determined that the appropriate time to introduce is 17 May not last Monday.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Due to the relative remoteness of the territory it's not going to get daytrippers from elsewhere, unlike the south coast and Scarborough, for example. Any services that started now would be reliant on locals and those in self-contained holiday accommodation. The big influx of tourists won't start until 17 May.

Andyh82

Established Member
I did say announce what they are doing on Monday, not actually starting on Monday

To cash in on the general anticipation of a good summer

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I did say announce what they are doing on Monday, not actually starting on Monday

To cash in on the general anticipation of a good summer
Unlike say trips to Scarborough from folks in Middlesbrough, the various First South West ones are likely to be people who are from out of area that won't be there til nearer the 17th May. In that respect, it's probably more likely that they will appear perhaps early May, possibly just after the bank holiday.

83G/84D

Established Member
Some new service registrations for First Kernow have appeared today:-

Bus registration details

· Registration number
PH0004983/608
· Licence Number
PH0004983
· Variation number
· Status
New
· Service number.
Falmouth Coaster
· Service type
Normal Stopping
· Start point
Falmouth, The Moor
· Finish point
Falmouth, The Moor
· Via
Pendennis Point, Swanpool
· Date received
02 Apr 2021
· Effective date
16 May 2021
· End date
· Supported by subsidies?
No
· Local authorities covered by route
CornwallAndScillies
· TAOs covered by route
West of England

Bus registration details

· Registration number
PH0004983/609
· Licence Number
PH0004983
· Variation number
· Status
New
· Service number.
18, 19
· Service type
Normal Stopping
· Start point
Penzance Bus Station
· Finish point
Pendeen, Boscaswell Estate
· Via
Madron, Trelawney Estate
· Date received
02 Apr 2021
· Effective date
16 May 2021
· End date
No
CornwallAndScillies
· TAOs covered by route
West of England

Bus registration details

· Registration number
PH0004983/610
· Licence Number
PH0004983
· Variation number
· Status
New
· Service number.
L5
· Service type
Normal Stopping
· Start point
Helston Sainsburys
· Finish point
St Ives, Malakoff Bus Station
· Via
Hayle
· Date received
02 Apr 2021
· Effective date
16 May 2021
· End date
No
CornwallAndScillies
· TAOs covered by route
West of England

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Some new service registrations for First Kernow have appeared today:-

Bus registration details

· Registration number
PH0004983/608
· Licence Number
PH0004983
· Variation number
· Status
New
· Service number.
Falmouth Coaster
· Service type
Normal Stopping
· Start point
Falmouth, The Moor
· Finish point
Falmouth, The Moor
· Via
Pendennis Point, Swanpool
· Date received
02 Apr 2021
· Effective date
16 May 2021
· End date
No
CornwallAndScillies
· TAOs covered by route
West of England

Bus registration details

· Registration number
PH0004983/609
· Licence Number
PH0004983
· Variation number
· Status
New
· Service number.
18, 19
· Service type
Normal Stopping
· Start point
Penzance Bus Station
· Finish point
Pendeen, Boscaswell Estate
· Via
Madron, Trelawney Estate
· Date received
02 Apr 2021
· Effective date
16 May 2021
· End date
No
CornwallAndScillies
· TAOs covered by route
West of England

Bus registration details

· Registration number
PH0004983/610
· Licence Number
PH0004983
· Variation number
· Status
New
· Service number.
L5
· Service type
Normal Stopping
· Start point
Helston Sainsburys
· Finish point
St Ives, Malakoff Bus Station
· Via
Hayle
· Date received
02 Apr 2021
· Effective date
16 May 2021
· End date
No
CornwallAndScillies
· TAOs covered by route
West of England

Mods:- Apologies have been unable to put this in quotes as required.
And there's me only just got used to the Penzance to Truro not being the 18! I like the idea of the 15 - wonder whether it will stand in Sainsbury's car park, or go oos into the Flambards area.

On the Buses

And there's me only just got used to the Penzance to Truro not being the 18! I like the idea of the 15 - wonder whether it will stand in Sainsbury's car park, or go oos into the Flambards area.
L1/2/5 a d U4 in both directions should all connect in Helston itself offering a five way interchange.

Goldfish62

Established Member
L1/2/5 a d U4 in both directions should all connect in Helston itself offering a five way interchange.
Excellent - a bus network as it should be!

Variations for the D1/2, M6, U1, U2, U4, 87 and 91 have appeared for 16 May.

"Limited Service on the A2
14 Apr 2021All Areas
Limited Service A2 commences from Saturday 17th April 2021
We will be operating a limited service on the A2 between St.Ives Malakoff, Carbis Bay, Lelant and St. Ives Holiday Village."

Sorry mods, couldn't put this in proper quotes.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
Nice that the A2 starts this weekend albeit in a altered format. With good weather forecast it will be interesting to see how well used it is.

83G/84D

Established Member
You had me thinking I had missed something or got it wrong.

Partial open top Trident MIG 3844 seen in Camborne very early this morning in base Atlantic Coaster type colours.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Excellent - a bus network as it should be!
Agreed. Outside the terms of this thread, but I've had to visit Helston for medical reasons several times over last year and have noticed signs of resurgence in the town once things get more normalised, led by independent businesses. In the unfortunate absence of a railway connection, hope FK can capitalise on this.

vla50

As @On the Buses says, when you're looking at vehicles of "a certain age" then it makes sense both financially and timewise to get ones that are already converted.

Not certain about the reference to not being spares but might be that the deal to sell the ALXs to Ensign has details that us mortals don't know (and nor should we).
That is very interesting. I wonder whether people will buy the Original Tour open toppers in Ensignbus at the moment.

swifty

Established Member
That is very interesting. I wonder whether people will buy the Original Tour open toppers in Ensignbus at the moment.
I should imagine so seeing as the DLPs (DAF, Long, President) they’ve got for sale have been re-engined and upgraded to Euro 6.

Lizard1324

From the registration the new L routes are (correct me if wrong or missed any)
L1 - Lizard to Redruth (like before Tfc)
L3 - Helston to Truro
L5 - Helston to St ives
So is there a L2 and L4 still waiting for registration?

Also interestingly the L1 is supported by subsidies? Does that mean the L1 will replace the Tfc 34 as they both do the same route.

Sleepy

Established Member
Due to the relative remoteness of the territory it's not going to get daytrippers from elsewhere, unlike the south coast and Scarborough, for example. Any services that started now would be reliant on locals and those in self-contained holiday accommodation. The big influx of tourists won't start until 17 May.
I understand what you mean about daytrippers but remember years ago when Lands End - St Ives open top service was at risk a holiday accommodation provider on North coast reported that car free holiday makers were considering whether to book in view of the lack of busses.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I understand what you mean about daytrippers but remember years ago when Lands End - St Ives open top service was at risk a holiday accommodation provider on North coast reported that car free holiday makers were considering whether to book in view of the lack of busses.
Well I'm sure that if FK thought there would be enough potential customers they would have started the summer services before mid-May.