• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

MarkC

I had a blast from the past Monday night when I was passed on the A38 near Plymouth by a fully livered First Plymouth Ugobus single decker. Those were the days!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busgeek

Very rare occurrence but can happen to anyone. Faulty fuel guage for example
It seems to have happened a lot this week though, as I gathered from the drivers' conversation. That one caused chaos at Helston Tesco breaking down on the entrance.

We don’t fuel at Helston so you’re getting the wrong end of the stick
Didn't you used to fuel at Helston? Why stop? It must be some financial move I guess.

83G/84D

Established Member
A Tinner E400MMC 33469 went from Camborne to Helston late morning before working the L5; it might be connected with this.

richw

Veteran Member
I had a blast from the past Monday night when I was passed on the A38 near Plymouth by a fully livered First Plymouth Ugobus single decker. Those were the days!
Owned by a Parks National express driver in preservation. His face was the little boy on the nearside on that particular one, he’s grown a little since then though! I Believe he’s part of the Plymouth City Transport Preservation group too

37011 (pictured) and 68301 found themselves at short notice at Roseland school this afternoon, a school we don’t normally cover. A local independent had several staff go sick, and requested help. The Timings and locality to Truro College allowed 2 of us to go up and help out with the afternoon run. A fine example of how things should be, with operators helping each other out, in these difficult times with short staffing and lots of sickness.

Attachments

• CAA8061C-8BD2-4DC1-9033-1227A1DD2F5A.jpeg
    CAA8061C-8BD2-4DC1-9033-1227A1DD2F5A.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There simply no mention or requirement for via points in the legislation:

So there has to be a route number display, but does there have therefore to be a route number? I'm probably not the only person to be less than thrilled by the abandonment of route numbers in certain cases in favour of a generalised description of the service. This is not because I'm a natural traditionalist, because in many ways I'm not, which was the reason my career in public transport ended almost before it had begun. I equally don't believe in change for change's sake, though. I can see why the Atlantic Coaster and Land's End Coaster were so named, together with abandonment of route numbers, but I believe the arrangement has as many minuses as pluses. You commented on the closed top doubledecker with the only information being the St Ives destination - I too saw this occurrence on the Marazion By-Pass the last two days, with not even a cardboard cut-out saying 'Land's End Coaster' on the dashboard. If you'd been waiting on Jelbert's Way when that bus approached how would you know it wasn't a 17, particularly as it was the type of bus currently associated with the route?

I'm really not happy with the M6 becoming ''the Mousehole'' though. It was a different matter when Harvey's of Mousehole ran their famous blue buses on their only route. With a large company like First Cornwall how does the timetable fit in with the numeric sequence seen in both traditional timetable booklets and online listings? Even bus stop information can become compromised, particularly when two different types of branding mix with traditional numbers at the same stop. Strangers tend to ask ''which number bus do I get to x?'' and it's so much easier, especially with foreigners, to give a number, or even write it down: anything else can become over-complicated and might even lead to a decision not to use the bus. Just my opinion, honestly expressed. I'm not saying I'm 'right.' :)

MarkC

Owned by a Parks National express driver in preservation. His face was the little boy on the nearside on that particular one, he’s grown a little since then though! I Believe he’s part of the Plymouth City Transport Preservation group too

37011 (pictured) and 68301 found themselves at short notice at Roseland school this afternoon, a school we don’t normally cover. A local independent had several staff go sick, and requested help. The Timings and locality to Truro College allowed 2 of us to go up and help out with the afternoon run. A fine example of how things should be, with operators helping each other out, in these difficult times with short staffing and lots of sickness.
Good to know thank you. It is good to see a reminder of Firsts' once proud network in the city of Plymouth. UGOBUS was a great concept and really could have worked well IMO of First had been more willing to keep at it at the time

matt_splat

Whereabouts is the Padstow outstation these days?

It was great to see an almost full Atlantic coaster today and a 900 pulling into Padstow with a few pass holders on board as well.

Volvo142

I'm glad I managed to get a trip on the Atlantic Coaster on Tuesday. It was glorious weather for a trip from Newquay to Padstow and back with some spectacular views.

(The attached images show views from my trip)

Attachments

• IMG_20210907_134726.jpg
    IMG_20210907_134726.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20210907_134749.jpg
    IMG_20210907_134749.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20210907_135850.jpg
    IMG_20210907_135850.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20210907_140018.jpg
    IMG_20210907_140018.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20210907_140413.jpg
    IMG_20210907_140413.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20210907_141100.jpg
    IMG_20210907_141100.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20210907_142025.jpg
    IMG_20210907_142025.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210907_145004.jpg
    IMG_20210907_145004.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210907_160217.jpg
    IMG_20210907_160217.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20210907_170214.jpg
    IMG_20210907_170214.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 42

richw

Veteran Member

It was great to see an almost full Atlantic coaster today and a 900 pulling into Padstow with a few pass holders on board as well.
I carried a few regular paying passengers on the Callington to Truro College 271 yesterday.
Last year the only non college passenger I carried all year was a Liskeard based enthusiast travelling on Mtickets on a few occasions.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Has it moved from the delightful "field next door to Tesco", as it was on the O license IIRC?

BTW, not heard mention but have First South West now vacated the site near Newquay (was it near Lappa Valley?) that was used when works were being carried out at Summercourt? Also, with the many changes that seem to have gone on with the FSW business including vintage coaches and service developments, how is space at the current depots? Bodmin was quite cosy as last mentioned by @richw and Truro always struck me as being a bit restricted though it may be larger than I give it credit.

I'm glad I managed to get a trip on the Atlantic Coaster on Tuesday. It was glorious weather for a trip from Newquay to Padstow and back with some spectacular views.

(The attached images show views from my trip)
Great photos - you got the weather for it!

richw

Veteran Member
Has it moved from the delightful "field next door to Tesco", as it was on the O license IIRC?

BTW, not heard mention but have First South West now vacated the site near Newquay (was it near Lappa Valley?) that was used when works were being carried out at Summercourt? Also, with the many changes that seem to have gone on with the FSW business including vintage coaches and service developments, how is space at the current depots? Bodmin was quite cosy as last mentioned by @richw and Truro always struck me as being a bit restricted though it may be larger than I give it credit.

Great photos - you got the weather for it!
Yes still “field next to Tesco” (that’s the actual address on the operator licence!). At a guess will be at least 2-3 vehicles each night there.
The yard at Dairyland is still in use, school buses mainly.
Most yards are quite full overnight.

vla50

Will the E500s be painted before they enter service or will they be entered straight into service and then get painted when the time is available (so like half term let's say?). As has been mentioned there is a bit of a refurbishment queue so I was wondering.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Will the E500s be painted before they enter service or will they be entered straight into service and then get painted when the time is available (so like half term let's say?). As has been mentioned there is a bit of a refurbishment queue so I was wondering.
The E500s are over 10 years old and could be doing with a bit of a refurb inside themselves. They have those awful seat coverings that fade very quickly which doesn’t help.

S.Jacket

Good evening chaps, I wonder if any of you can advise me if any of the following have had their vinyls added yet please?

32027 Lands End or Generic Coaster
32525 Kerdroya
32757 Lizard
32761 Lizard
32799 Generic Coaster
33800 Generic Coaster
33600 Generic Coaster
33601 Generic Coaster
37045 Lizard

Goldfish62

Established Member
Good evening chaps, I wonder if any of you can advise me if any of the following have had their vinyls added yet please?

32525 Kerdroya
32757 Lizard
32761 Lizard
32799 Generic Coaster
33800 Generic Coaster
33600 Generic Coaster
33601 Generic Coaster
37045 Lizard
32027 still has original-style Atlantic Coasters vinyls and 33600 is still unbranded (based on observations on Monday).

Busgeek

32525 Kerdroya
32757 Lizard
32761 Lizard
32799 Generic Coaster
33800 Generic Coaster
33600 Generic Coaster
33601 Generic Coaster
37045 Lizard
32525 no
32757 no
32761 no
33601 no
37045 no

The others I have not seen about for a while so can't comment... Feel that some of the generic coasters should just go to Kernows plane green for use on any open top service. That way no mixing of brands.

GBM

Yes still “field next to Tesco” (that’s the actual address on the operator licence!). At a guess will be at least 2-3 vehicles each night there.
Most yards are full and standing at night.

fgwrich

Established Member

I can’t imagine they’ll be of an immediate priority to repaint - examples such as 38225 were (according to this caption) only just put into First Aberdeen livery as recent as 9 weeks ago. (Link to photo by Prisma Aberdeen below)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Most yards are full and standing at night.
Thanks for the updates on Dairyland. It's hard to keep up with the new developments of tourist services, college wins etc and the impact on PVR but was thinking that some of those sites must be getting tight on space.

The E500s are over 10 years old and could be doing with a bit of a refurb inside themselves. They have those awful seat coverings that fade very quickly which doesn’t help.

I can’t imagine they’ll be of an immediate priority to repaint - examples such as 38225 were (according to this caption) only just put into First Aberdeen livery as recent as 9 weeks ago.

Good as Kernow are in getting vehicles reliveried, they do have a fair programme to get through. Agree with @fgwrich that they will have greater priorities to sort first. As regards internal refurbs, again they have done a good job at getting the worst offenders in terms of Geminis sorted and should they feel that they need doing, then doubtless they will look at sorting them.

vla50

Thanks for the updates on Dairyland. It's hard to keep up with the new developments of tourist services, college wins etc and the impact on PVR but was thinking that some of those sites must be getting tight on space.

Good as Kernow are in getting vehicles reliveried, they do have a fair programme to get through. Agree with @fgwrich that they will have greater priorities to sort first. As regards internal refurbs, again they have done a good job at getting the worst offenders in terms of Geminis sorted and should they feel that they need doing, then doubtless they will look at sorting them.
Never knew it was done in that order! You learn something new every day.

Andyh82

Established Member
I can’t imagine they’ll be of an immediate priority to repaint - examples such as 38225 were (according to this caption) only just put into First Aberdeen livery as recent as 9 weeks ago.

With the First Aberdeen livery being two tone green and white, they could probably do something with that and make it their own, in the medium term, and only enthusiasts would know it’s a previous operators livery.

Goldfish62

Established Member
With the First Aberdeen livery being two tone green and white, they could probably do something with that and make it their own, in the medium term, and only enthusiasts would know it’s a previous operators livery.
Bit of Truro College branding on it and most people would be none the wiser.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

All bar one of the E500s heading to Kernow have been repainted in the last 10 months.

38201 - December 2019
38202 - May 2021
38208 - April 2021
38225 - July 2021

38206 would've been repainted by now too had it not been off the road with engine issues, it only "properly" returned to service at the end of August.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I doubt that they need to do much at all - they've had plenty of urban liveried vehicles trotting around for some time as they've worked through various challenges.

Goldfish62

Established Member
53505 (?) joined 53826 in ensuring the continued existence of the M6 today.
Yes, that's not been out and about for a while.

The Atlantic Coaster when I rode on it from near Newquay to St Ives last week first showed Newquay. It then changed to St Agnes before showing St Ives.

Is this something to do with regulations regarding services over a certain distance? I recall something mentioned previously.

Two people with apparent intention to travel on the service as they were browsing the Atlantic Coaster timetable didn't, at the stop I was waiting with them. Maybe they were confused by the destination display?

In any case they could have asked me or the driver but chose not to do so and the bus left without them.
Any route which is 50km or more has to run under EU hours and with a tachograph. The way around this, and it's a fiddle that is allowed due to the wording of the regulations rather than something that is explicitly granted, is to register a route in separate sections of less than 50km. The traffic commissioners are aware that this happens and their minimum requirements are that each section is shown on timetables as separate journeys, but an indicator stating "guaranteed connection - remain on same bus" or words to that effect is allowable. Through fares are allowed.

What has happened in your example is that the driver has selected short working displays. What he/she should have done is selected:
"Newquay, then St Agnes"
"St Agnes, then St Ives"

I have also seen this on the Land's End Coaster, which should show:
"Land's End, then St Ives"
"St Ives, then Penzance"
"Penzance, then Land's End"
and in reverse.

Last edited: