• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

83G/84D

Established Member
Yes, that's not been out and about for a while.

Any route which is 50km or more has to run under EU hours and with a tachograph. The way around this, and it's a fiddle that is allowed due to the wording of the regulations rather than something that is explicitly granted, is to register a route in separate sections of less than 50km. The traffic commissioners are aware that this happens and their minimum requirements are that each section is shown on timetables as separate journeys, but an indicator stating "guaranteed connection - remain on same bus" or words to that effect is allowable. Through fares are allowed.

What has happened in your example is that the driver has selected short working displays. What he/she should have done is selected:
"Newquay, then St Agnes"
"St Agnes, then St Ives"

I have also seen this on the Land's End Coaster, which should show:
"Land's End, then St Ives"
"St Ives, then Penzance"
"Penzance, then Land's End"
and in reverse.

I knew about the 50km running you mentioned but wasn’t aware that the displays could could be set as you explained. I wonder if the couple I saw waiting at Newquay made any enquiries with First regards their journey?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
The revised Atlantic Coaster timetable is now on line. It's five return journeys between Newquay and Padstow, with one back-projected from Perranporth.

Also the Dartmoor Explorer is back to two return journeys from either end.

If the timetables are to be believed the Mousehole has had its Sunday service completely withdrawn, although as it was running yesterday I assume this is an error.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The revised Atlantic Coaster timetable is now on line. It's five return journeys between Newquay and Padstow, with one back-projected from Perranporth.

Also the Dartmoor Explorer is back to two return journeys from either end.

If the timetables are to be believed the Mousehole has had its Sunday service completely withdrawn, although as it was running yesterday I assume this is an error.
That on bustimes?

The First Kernow website has the winter timetable booklet. Atlantic Coaster times are listed until 30th Oct, as is the Lands End timetable, whilst Falmouth and D5 have no end dates on them.

Mousehole has a 20 min daytime service, hourly evenings, and half hourly Sunday daytimes - very impressive.

Goldfish62

Established Member
That on bustimes?

The First Kernow website has the winter timetable booklet. Atlantic Coaster times are listed until 30th Oct, as is the Lands End timetable, whilst Falmouth and D5 have no end dates on them.

Mousehole has a 20 min daytime service, hourly evenings, and half hourly Sunday daytimes - very impressive.
No, on the First website under timetables. Ignore the book.

Callum15632

But then 32277 was off road for about a month or two yet made a swift return.
Yeah I know but 33158 has been off for nearly a month. Yes I get what you are saying but they might have enough buses to see off the plaxton presidents 1 by 1. 33176 LR02 LYV the vamooz one is gone off fleet I think it's gone for scrap. Do you know about 33158 any chance OTB?

On the Buses

Yeah I know but 33158 has been off for nearly a month. Yes I get what you are saying but they might have enough buses to see off the plaxton presidents 1 by 1. 33176 LR02 LYV the vamooz one is gone off fleet I think it's gone for scrap. Do you know about 33158 any used a parts donor.
Yeah I know but 33158 has been off for nearly a month. Yes I get what you are saying but they might have enough buses to see off the plaxton presidents 1 by 1. 33176 LR02 LYV the vamooz one is gone off fleet I think it's gone for scrap. Do you know about 33158 any chance OTB?
Yes. 33158 is VOR at Summercourt. 33176 is VOR at Camborne but beyond economic repair and donating parts to one of the Lizard open tops
VOR = Vehicle off road

83G/84D

Established Member
I noticed the following today:-

Truronian Volvo 20804 on the southbound M5 motorway near Avonmouth at around 1735.

Solo SR 53254 on the southbound M5 at Sedgemoor around 25 minutes later.

20805 on the eastbound A30 near Okehampton at 1850 and displaying service number 890.

Busgeek

All bar one of the E500s heading to Kernow have been repainted in the last 10 months.

38201 - December 2019
38202 - May 2021
38208 - April 2021
38225 - July 2021

38206 would've been repainted by now too had it not been off the road with engine issues, it only "properly" returned to service at the end of August.
Engine issues... More cruddy buses for the Kernow fleet then?!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Sometimes vehicles have unit failures - it happens. These are 12 year old vehicles so not brand new but neither are they archaic.

First Kernow are pursuing a sensible policy of vehicle replacement and have replaced significant elements of the fleet with new vehicles that constitute a fairly high proportion of the all day PVR. Aside from the Mousehole, there aren't too many major routes that have "cruddy buses"?

vla50

Sometimes vehicles have unit failures - it happens. These are 12 year old vehicles so not brand new but neither are they archaic.

First Kernow are pursuing a sensible policy of vehicle replacement and have replaced significant elements of the fleet with new vehicles that constitute a fairly high proportion of the all day PVR. Aside from the Mousehole, there aren't too many major routes that have "cruddy buses"?
Well said and the fleet has certainly improved through the constant investment put in especially when you compare it to what it was like 10 years ago.

Accelerator59

I noticed the following today:-

Truronian Volvo 20804 on the southbound M5 motorway near Avonmouth at around 1735.

Solo SR 53254 on the southbound M5 at Sedgemoor around 25 minutes later.

20805 on the eastbound A30 near Okehampton at 1850 and displaying service number 890.
I also saw 20805 leaving Newham, Truro around 3pm as I was leaving Tesco. Must of been heading to where you saw it.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The E500s are good buses. The most common major part to fail on them is the drive axles, although hopefully First should have that under control now. The engine issues are not that common, 38206 had a fuel injector issue which was causing the engine to run rough and put out thick clouds of black smoke. However it's fixed now.

If anything Kernow have been lucky as 38202 and in particular 38225 are two of the best E500s in the fleet.

They're generally still in good condition, they could do with a interior retrim, but at the same time they're still presentable.

Callum15632

Does anyone know if 37182/37183 and 37185 on their way to Cornwall now? Also does anyone know if 33420/21/22 are on their way to Bristol now?

83G/84D

Established Member
There has been a recent report of a Envoro 500 on tow on the M5 motorway heading towards Cornwall, where it will be taken to wasn’t revealed.

It was on social media but I am unable to access it to do a link, sorry!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
They're generally still in good condition, they could do with a interior retrim, but at the same time they're still presentable.
First SW received B7TL Geminis to update the fleet. Some had benefitted from mid-life refurbs in Bristol whilst others hailing from other OpCos hadn't been so treated; they have retrimmed the worst examples AFAIK. It may be that similarly, they will assess and take a view.

However, receiving some 12 year old vehicles is a world away from the past where they would receive 15 yr old Tridents to dislodge the last Olympians, and even that's better than when 18-20 year old Atlanteans (albeit in a condition that belied their years) to Devon from Aberdeen.

As it is, FSW is fast approaching a fairly balanced age profile where once the last ex London Tridents go, there will be a number of 2005 Tridents joined by 2004-2007 B7TLs and the 2009 e500s concentrated on the "tertiary" network (for want of a better phrase). There's a slew of 2016-2018 e400mmcs augmented by 2018 e200mmcs and Solos concentrated on the "primary" network. Yes, there's a gap in the 2010-2015 age bracket but there's a dearth of suitable vehicles in First Bus in that age bracket for various reasons, and arguably they don't need vehicles of that vintage at the moment in Kernow.

It'll be interesting to see what Somerset receive to oust their remaining Tridents when that cascade begins - more B7TLs?

volvob12

Does anyone know if 37182/37183 and 37185 on their way to Cornwall now? Also does anyone know if 33420/21/22 are on their way to Bristol now?
Both 37185 and 33422 are out in service with their current respective opcos, so not on their way between opcos today.

On the Buses

First SW received B7TL Geminis to update the fleet. Some had benefitted from mid-life refurbs in Bristol whilst others hailing from other OpCos hadn't been so treated; they have retrimmed the worst examples AFAIK. It may be that similarly, they will assess and take a view.

However, receiving some 12 year old vehicles is a world away from the past where they would receive 15 yr old Tridents to dislodge the last Olympians, and even that's better than when 18-20 year old Atlanteans (albeit in a condition that belied their years) to Devon from Aberdeen.

As it is, FSW is fast approaching a fairly balanced age profile where once the last ex London Tridents go, there will be a number of 2005 Tridents joined by 2004-2007 B7TLs and the 2009 e500s concentrated on the "tertiary" network (for want of a better phrase). There's a slew of 2016-2018 e400mmcs augmented by 2018 e200mmcs and Solos concentrated on the "primary" network. Yes, there's a gap in the 2010-2015 age bracket but there's a dearth of suitable vehicles in First Bus in that age bracket for various reasons, and arguably they don't need vehicles of that vintage at the moment in Kernow.

It'll be interesting to see what Somerset receive to oust their remaining Tridents when that cascade begins - more B7TLs?
All the Geminis that hadn’t been previously retrimmed in e leather have been retrimmed in moquette now, and a few that were already in e leather

Both 37185 and 33422 are out in service with their current respective opcos, so not on their way between opcos today.
Starting this next week and spread out. At least one E400 is awaiting an engine before, one a rebuild.