• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
I don’t recall it mentioned previously but It may have been, but 32179 has lost its Falmouth Coaster branding and is now in base Coaster colours.

Andyh82

Established Member
I’m visiting Cornwall next week, staying in Wadebridge.

Besides the Truro College service 900/950 do Cornwall by Kernow serve Wadebridge in any other capacity now? The hotel is quite near the school so if they did I might observe the school workings before breakfast, if it’s just a load of random coach firms I probably wouldn’t.

richw

Veteran Member
I’m visiting Cornwall next week, staying in Wadebridge.

Besides the Truro College service 900/950 do Cornwall by Kernow serve Wadebridge in any other capacity now? The hotel is quite near the school so if they did I might observe the school workings before breakfast, if it’s just a load of random coach firms I probably wouldn’t.
I don’t believe any school services there. Go Cornwall and Group travel last time I observed Wadebridge.
Also a Closed door duchy college.

44078 left Cornwall for BoS today, to join 44076 for the Ilfracombe services

83G/84D

Established Member
Open top President 32102 (MIG 3842) is now yellow for Sunseeker services albeit believed to be unbranded awaiting vinyls.

GBM

I thought the Council wanted Camborne bus station to be redeveloped, and a new station and depot be built elsewhere.
Not heard anything more about that, or was it just a rumour?

83G/84D

Established Member
I thought the Council wanted Camborne bus station to be redeveloped, and a new station and depot be built elsewhere.
Not heard anything more about that, or was it just a rumour?
I did post something a while ago but you may have missed it. Basically it appears that the depot will remain where it is. Here is the article I posted last Autumn.

Link:- Creating a buzz in Camborne - Camborne Town Deal

Work to regenerate Camborne town centre is continuing at pace with progress being made on the eight projects selected for Town Deal funding of £23.7m.

First Bus has decided to stay at its existing town depot, so empty sites throughout the town are actively being considered as alternative locations for the flagship buzz station development. These will be discussed at the next Town Deal board meeting on the 1st November and hopes are running high that the transformational concept can be realised elsewhere in the town.

Business plans for building the Fibre Park, implementing Project A-Void Phase 2, renovating the recreation ground, creating a sport and community hub at Park Gerry, developing food and farming enterprise and contemporary crafts hubs and installing a cycling and walking network are all being advanced.

“A lot has been happening in the last few months since the Government announcement and we’re all very excited about the opportunities ahead,” said Val Dalley, Chair of the Camborne Town Deal Board.

“There are quite a few empty sites in the town which could be used to house the Buzz Station and we are actively exploring all options. It’s good news that First wants to retain its central Camborne base and we wish them ongoing success there.

“I’m delighted with the time and energy that board members are devoting to bringing about positive change for Camborne and look forward to further developments in the months ahead.”

The Town Deal board comprises a group of individuals from the private and public sectors who work alongside Cornwall Council officers to develop Camborne’s vision and plan.

Cornwall Council cabinet portfolio holder for the economy Stephen Rushworth said: The Camborne Town Board had proposed a really creative redevelopment for the bus station in the centre of Camborne. This is, however, a site owned by a commercial organisation and for very clear operational reasons they cannot move at this time.”

“The Council believes that Camborne will play a pivotal role in boosting Cornwall’s economy in the coming years – and we will continue to work closely with the town board to deliver a Town Deal that maximises the opportunity to boost the economic, social and environmental revitalisation of the town centre.”

Last edited:

GBM

First wants to keep its depot where it is. So the bus station/interchange will need to move somewhere else then.
Or will the station remain as it is; but it certainly needs to be enlarged, as its not uncommon to see vehicles queuing outside, waiting for a stand.
Noted the next meeting of the "Buzz Project" was due in November 2021.

83G/84D

Established Member
The way I read the article was that the bus station stays where it is as well as the garage.

Hopefully it gets a much needed revamp if that’s the case.

There is nowhere in the centre of town suitable for a number of buses to stop.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The way I read the article was that the bus station stays where it is as well as the garage.

Hopefully it gets a much needed revamp if that’s the case.

There is nowhere in the centre of town suitable for a number of buses to stop.
It says "First Bus has decided to stay at its existing town depot, so empty sites throughout the town are actively being considered as alternative locations for the flagship buzz station development."

That sounds like they are looking to have a new facility and the current bus station has had little money spent on it in many years. Might be a new location (Rosewarne Car Park as an example) and that First can use the space freed up at Chapel Street more effectively.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
No no no. No new bus station. No leaving out site. No selling up.
Oooh.... I don't know. Could you be a little more definitive? :lol:

I knew the whole buzz station concept was a multi-faceted retail and cultural location and that a bus terminus was to be part of this. So it appears that they are looking for an alternative site but as Union Street isn't being redeveloped, a new bus station isn't now part of it

On the Buses

Oooh.... I don't know. Could you be a little more definitive? :lol:

I knew the whole buzz station concept was a multi-faceted retail and cultural location and that a bus terminus was to be part of this. So it appears that they are looking for an alternative site but as Union Street isn't being redeveloped, a new bus station isn't now part of it
I’m not sure there was a bus station. Anyway stays quo remains, although we are gradually sprucing up Camborne

83G/84D

Established Member
I’m not sure there was a bus station. Anyway stays quo remains, although we are gradually sprucing up Camborne

Good to hear, a bus station revamp is good for visitors, locals and of course the staff who work there. Bring it on!

The green Solo 53865 with added embellishments was on the St Erth station car park shuttle today, as seen from the train.

Last edited:

Andyh82

Established Member
Out of interest, where does the Exmoor Sunseeker run out of? Minehead or Taunton? There looks to be quite considerable dead running from either.

Andyh82

Established Member
What depot does Truro College 500 run out of? Finishing at St Mawes it is quite a distance from them all

richw

Veteran Member
Thanks for that, I hadn’t factored in Truro, as I thought it was just the Park and Ride and the Truronian coaches
A few Truro college services are covered by drivers who report to Truronian.

Truro also has 2-3 service duties a day based there with those drivers reporting to Summercourt control.

Callum15632

Does anybody know if 37388, 37396 and 37416 are transferring to Buses Of Somerset from Bristol? I thought they were going to Norwich but somebody changed them to be on Buses Of Somerset fleet list.

Last edited by a moderator:

83G/84D

Established Member
Is the Falmouth Park & Ride / Float operating this summer? Nothing obvious on First website or bustimes.