• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

83G/84D

Established Member
Volvo B7TL 32052 seen at Camborne today along with Solo 53107 showing signs of damage on the rear.

Finally this Scania arrived from Truro this afternoon with a rather unseasonal message displayed and was taken out of service!

Attachments

• DSC02885.jpg
    DSC02885.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC02884.jpg
    DSC02884.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 80
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

THarris123

Established Member
Volvo B7TL 32052 seen at Camborne today along with Solo 53107 showing signs of damage on the rear.

Finally this Scania arrived from Truro this afternoon with a rather unseasonal message displayed and was taken out of service!

Is 32052 a new addition to Kernow?

Penwithian

They were certainly the last new deckers. I believe there were some 56 plate Darts new for the old 41 route with wheel to coast branding.

SN53KKE is now sporting a all over Heart advert. Seen on the 18 this morning.

LN51GLF is currently playing dead on the A30 between Camborne and Redruth.

Saw 42875 (SN53KKE) this morning in Pendeen on the 10, the first time I have seen it since its advertising for Heart FM. It does carry this all over advert except for the front which is still in (old) First colours.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Saw 42875 (SN53KKE) this morning in Pendeen on the 10, the first time I have seen it since its advertising for Heart FM. It does carry this all over advert except for the front which is still in (old) First colours.

I followed it in my car past Penzance Police Station today about 12.15 p.m., going in Pendeen direction, so it may not have worked onto the 17 on this occasion.

Accelerator59

Random question but how come they've stopped the destination display scrolling across like it used to? It did look better like that.

83G/84D

Established Member
23317 at Camborne today in an overall dark green colour with no branding of any sort.FSW legals carried. The shade of green was close to,if not the same as that used by GWR on their refurbished / repainted trains.

richw

Veteran Member
23317 at Camborne today in an overall dark green colour with no branding of any sort.FSW legals carried. The shade of green was close to,if not the same as that used by GWR on their refurbished / repainted trains.

I thought it looked like the train shade of green on Flickr photos I've seen.
They did a few coaches in dynamic lines previously as well to match the trains.
23317 is pretty much limited to rail replacement these days.

Last edited:

THarris123

Established Member
Do we know if any Olympians are going to be left by end of April? I'm hoping to take a trip to Kernow in the last week of April, but want to try to avoid the dreaded Tridents.

Was thinking of doing a similar thing as last year:-
Wells-Taunton 29
Taunton-Tiverton 22
Tiverton-Exeter Stagecoach
Exeter- -Bodmin?
Bodmin-Truro 27
Truro-Penzance 18
Then on a day excursion 1/1A to Lands End

What's now on 27 and 1?

Anyone any better suggestions to head to Penzance by bus?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Do we know if any Olympians are going to be left by end of April? I'm hoping to take a trip to Kernow in the last week of April, but want to try to avoid the dreaded Tridents.

Wells-Taunton 29
Taunton-Tiverton 22
Exeter- -Bodmin?
Bodmin-Truro 27
Truro-Penzance 18

What's now on 27 and 1?

The Kernow crowd will be able to clarify what works what but you may even be too late for late April to get Olympians :(

However, from what I saw/experienced last week in Devon...

Tiverton to Exeter is e400 and Tridents
Exeter to Plymouth is e400
Plymouth to Bodmin is e400 with PCB

However, what I would say is that the Stagecoach Tridents aren't like the BoS/First ones. Firstly, they're not London spec with the torturous sloth like performance. They're the better Trident 2s (usually 04 plate). Also, the seating is comfy Stagecoach spec not the back breaking First 1999 to 2002 type.

Hope this helps :D

CD

Wells-Taunton 29
Taunton-Tiverton 22
Exeter- -Bodmin?
Bodmin-Truro 27
Truro-Penzance 18

What's now on 27 and 1?

You are 95% likely to get a Trident on the Tiverton 22.

Obviously 0640 29 to Taunton for 0900 22 to Tiverton arr 1007.

Going from Tiverton to Exeter on any frequent Stagecoach (Trident) you make the 1245 X38 to Plymouth arr 1427.

1450 Plymouth citybus 11a gets to Bodmin 1640 where you just miss the FK 27 to Truro.

Why not catch the 29 to the bus gate in Taunton and do Stagecoach Falcon to Plymouth? Will save plenty of time. Also while in Plymouth you could buy a Ride Cornwall day ticket (£10 or less with a railcard) which covers you for all bus and trains. A train from Plymouth to St.Austell or Truro then by bus saves the hassle of having to go via Bodmin. :lol:

richw

Veteran Member
Tiverton to Exeter is e400 and Tridents
Exeter to Plymouth is e400
Plymouth to Bodmin is e400 with PCB

Exeter to Plymouth X38 service is E200 with leather seating
Plymouth to Bodmin is never an e400 as only single deckers can get under the rail bridge at Bodmin Parkway and only shorter wheelbase vehicles can cope in Padstow further down the route. It's been mid length Darts every day this week.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

1450 Plymouth citybus 11a gets to Bodmin 1640 where you just miss the FK 27 to Truro:

Stay on the 11a to Padstow and the 11a connects perfectly to some FK 56 services to Newquay at Padstow harbour, the 56 is a beautiful route,

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Exeter to Plymouth X38 service is E200 with leather seating
Plymouth to Bodmin is never an e400 as only single deckers can get under the rail bridge at Bodmin Parkway and only shorter wheelbase vehicles can cope in Padstow further down the route. It's been mid length Darts every day this week.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Stay on the 11a to Padstow and the 11a connects perfectly to some FK 56 services to Newquay at Padstow harbour, the 56 is a beautiful route,

You're right, of course. Getting confused with the other Saltash services that have the new e400s!! :oops:

Sure I saw an e400 on X38 last Monday but might have been mistaken.

Agree with you - the 56 is a lovely route

FSW Official

There are no Olympians left in BoS
Kernow has twelve of which four are due off next week. Six of the eight left are already sold and will come off as soon as possible. The two Leylands will probably last into the Spring.
All the PBs are going green into a specific new First Kernow coach livery. One is already fully signwritten.

83G/84D

Established Member

matt_splat

Wells-Taunton 29
Taunton-Tiverton 22
Exeter- -Bodmin?
Bodmin-Truro 27
Truro-Penzance 18

What's now on 27 and 1?

Not sure if timings work but you might be better doing.....

6 Exeter 11:40 Bude 13:39
595 Bude 15:27 Wadebridge 17:14 / 17:20
94 Wadebridge 17:27 St Columb 17:51
93 St Columb 17:55 Truro 18:38

you'd need to make sure you got off in the town in Wadebridge and not the bus station.

iantherev

You're right, of course. Getting confused with the other Saltash services that have the new e400s!! :oops:

Sure I saw an e400 on X38 last Monday but might have been mistaken.

Agree with you - the 56 is a lovely route

Since Plymouth opened, Exeter and Plymouth have one working each on the X38. The Exeter working can produce an ALX400 Trident, an E400 or a MAN E300 while the Plymouth contribution is usually an 04 plate Trident.

I echo the point about the Ride Cornwall railcard. I've been down there today and did Falmouth and Penzance on a combination of Devon Day Ranger (£10) and Ride Cornwall tickets. One other option is a 30 to Axminster and the train from there - the ticket office will happily issue you a RC ticket with no hassle.

THarris123

Established Member
Thanks for all suggestions.

The way I did it last year was 29 to Taunton, 22 to Tiverton, Stagecoach to Exeter (can't remember number), X38 to Plymouth, day out in Plymouth, 593 to Liskeard (Citybus), then an m hour long wait for Western Greyhound to turn up with 593 to Bodmin, then 27 to Truro, 18 to Penzance. Then coming back caught the train to Bristol.

Although I like the train, I'm going for all the way to Penzance by bus and back by bus. Don't really want to go via Plymouth. Think I'll go via Wadebridge as someone suggested and then via St Ives and Newquay on the way back.

Looks like there won't be any Olympians left by the time I get there - maybe something will be on 1/1A? Also thanks for responding FSW - have you got the fleet numbers of the Olympians up for sell and what's left/going to be left? Have you got an up-to-date list of what's in Kernow now?

Have we now got the 3 solos in Taunton or are they on their way?

FSW Official

Thanks for all suggestions.

The way I did it last year was 29 to Taunton, 22 to Tiverton, Stagecoach to Exeter (can't remember number), X38 to Plymouth, day out in Plymouth, 593 to Liskeard (Citybus), then an m hour long wait for Western Greyhound to turn up with 593 to Bodmin, then 27 to Truro, 18 to Penzance. Then coming back caught the train to Bristol.

Although I like the train, I'm going for all the way to Penzance by bus and back by bus. Don't really want to go via Plymouth. Think I'll go via Wadebridge as someone suggested and then via St Ives and Newquay on the way back.

Looks like there won't be any Olympians left by the time I get there - maybe something will be on 1/1A? Also thanks for responding FSW - have you got the fleet numbers of the Olympians up for sell and what's left/going to be left? Have you got an up-to-date list of what's in Kernow now?

Have we now got the 3 solos in Taunton or are they on their way?

The last Olympian stronghold will probably be the 56. The two L regs are not sold and for now we are keeping them in fleet.

There is one Solo in BoS. The other two may or may not move. The Caetano Darts will move to Cornwall though as will a number of Tridents. The three non DDA MPDs are awaiting DDA conversion.

I'll post a current fleet list when I'm at a pc.

83G/84D

Established Member
YN06CGY outside Exeter St David's in fully branded green coach livery looking very nice!??????
32760,32762,23009,23316,56000 & 33660 on rail replacement duties.

Last edited:

THarris123

Established Member
The last Olympian stronghold will probably be the 56. The two L regs are not sold and for now we are keeping them in fleet.

There is one Solo in BoS. The other two may or may not move. The Caetano Darts will move to Cornwall though as will a number of Tridents. The three non DDA MPDs are awaiting DDA conversion.

I'll post a current fleet list when I'm at a pc.

56 is the one i'll go for then :) What's going to be generally on 1?

Didn't see the solo, nor any of the B7ls today at BoS. Good to hear that 43821-3 will be back, but surprised it's taken so long to convert. What Tridents are you sending down - is it the non DDA ones or the others? Or even worse is it my favourites 33377-82? Is BoS getting anything in return?

henairs

53505 is on Taunton Depot but very hard to see from the road. It's rear is visible adjoining the football ground fence at the top of the park side of the Depot.
Don't think it's done anything yet as in similar position last week.
Cheers Mike R

busconductors

You are 95% likely to get a Trident on the Tiverton 22.

Obviously 0640 29 to Taunton for 0900 22 to Tiverton arr 1007.

Going from Tiverton to Exeter on any frequent Stagecoach (Trident) you make the 1245 X38 to Plymouth arr 1427.

1450 Plymouth citybus 11a gets to Bodmin 1640 where you just miss the FK 27 to Truro.

Why not catch the 29 to the bus gate in Taunton and do Stagecoach Falcon to Plymouth? Will save plenty of time. Also while in Plymouth you could buy a Ride Cornwall day ticket (£10 or less with a railcard) which covers you for all bus and trains. A train from Plymouth to St.Austell or Truro then by bus saves the hassle of having to go via Bodmin. :lol:

CD, I only just found out about the Stagecoach Falcon myself. It started 14th February. I want to try it on Saturday travelling Weston-Super-Mare to Bodmin. The suggestion on Traveline is to take First bus A2 to some place called Churchill Gate (a place I have never heard of, but it sounds straightforward) and catch the Stagecoach Falcon there and get off at Plymouth bus station and take the Plymouth City Bus number 50 to St Budeaux and change there onto the Plymouth City Bus 11A which will take me to Bodmin. I do not understand the necessity of going to St Budeaux to catch the 11A - surely the 11A would start out from Plymouth bus station?

The Stagecoach Falcon sounds unbelievable - a cheap, long distance, hourly service and with wi-fi, too!

THarris123

Established Member
CD, I only just found out about the Stagecoach Falcon myself. It started 14th February. I want to try it on Saturday travelling Weston-Super-Mare to Bodmin. The suggestion on Traveline is to take First bus A2 to some place called Churchill Gate (a place I have never heard of, but it sounds straightforward) and catch the Stagecoach Falcon there and get off at Plymouth bus station and take the Plymouth City Bus number 50 to St Budeaux and change there onto the Plymouth City Bus 11A which will take me to Bodmin. I do not understand the necessity of going to St Budeaux to catch the 11A - surely the 11A would start out from Plymouth bus station?

The Stagecoach Falcon sounds unbelievable - a cheap, long distance, hourly service and with wi-fi, too!

Can't see any point of going from Weston to Churchill (which is in the middle of nowhere). Maybe the A2 to Bristol Airport and then catch it from there? Or go to Bristol or Taunton and catch it from those places.

LAIRA

PCB Service 11A now starts fron Royal Parade near the Theatre Royal