• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

richw

Veteran Member
From various local news media, reports of armed police storming a bus between Trispen a nd Truro yesterday afternoon at about 14.45 to take off a passenger allegedly involved in an assault using a weapon in Newquay earlier. Would this have been a First or WG bus? Don't know the current pattern of routes well enough to tell.

One media source quoted it being a First bus driver who contacted police to alert them to the suspect.

I had a day ticket today and travelled some of the First Kernow network including two of the new routes (21 & 91). Whilst travelling I observed that Solo's 53403 & 53404 have received new style "First Kernow" branding which compliments the livery quite well. Here are some views of 53404 at Newquay.

The Solo livery looks very nice in my opinion.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LateThanNever

The Solo livery looks very nice in my opinion.
Always feel First Kernow is a bit of a fraud. After all head office is in er... Aberdeen. (Still I suppose at least Aberdeen is a granite city - albeit of an unCornish colour...)

richw

Veteran Member
Always feel First Kernow is a bit of a fraud. After all head office is in er... Aberdeen. (Still I suppose at least Aberdeen is a granite city - albeit of an unCornish colour...)

Yes, although more control is now passed to local managers to run as they see fit for their area.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I had a day ticket today and travelled some of the First Kernow network including two of the new routes (21 & 91). Whilst travelling I observed that Solo's 53403 & 53404 have received new style "First Kernow" branding which compliments the livery quite well. Here are some views of 53404 at Newquay.

Has more than a hint of the final WN livery before barbie 2 came in. Did a B7RLE make it to Newquay judging by your photo?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Unlike in the olden days when it was a Badgerline subsidiary (Weston), or NBC and Tilling (London). Bizarrely for much of its existence, WNOC had their head office in Exeter where their vehicles were only infrequent visitors

richw

Veteran Member
Has more than a hint of the final WN livery before barbie 2 came in. Did a B7RLE make it to Newquay judging by your photo?

A Flickr contact of mine has a photo of a B7RLE working to newquay earlier this week.
My observations are predominantly the Redruth to truro routes, and it seems anything goes on the 14/18 and the b7RLEs have been escaping to other routes

Well quite a lot of control seems to have passed to Alex, but he seems to be doing a good job so far

From what i have seen i cant praise Alex enough for the turn around he has made down here. Unfortunately too many people are judging the current first Kernow on historic reputation

freetoview33

Established Member
From what i have seen i cant praise Alex enough for the turn around he has made down here. Unfortunately too many people are judging the current first Kernow on historic reputation

I can only really talk about the Somerset operations but I have had a read and a look at things down in Cornwall and I'm amazed by what has/what will change! I just hope the expansion continues or at least doesn't start to decline again.
It is just not easy undoing the years and years of decline and as said undo the reputation they have received. But if the people only knew what has been done with the limited money they might just realise how amazing this actually is!

83G/84D

Established Member

Unlike in the olden days when it was a Badgerline subsidiary (Weston), or NBC and Tilling (London). Bizarrely for much of its existence, WNOC had their head office in Exeter where their vehicles were only infrequent visitors

Yes a B7RLE arrived on the 21 from St Austell and after a short break departed on the 91 to Truro. A B7RLE has been on the 27 quite a lot in recent weeks and tends to be one of the recent arrivals from Oldham going on my observations.

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
Both of the Scania's to arrive at Camborne from Reading Transport are now in use.

65764 only entered service recently and here is working the 18 to Penzance.

Attachments

• ED2A7000.jpg
    ED2A7000.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 86

richw

Veteran Member
Both of the Scania's to arrive at Camborne from Reading Transport are now in use.

65764 only entered service recently and here is working the 18 to Penzance.

I saw 65764 in Chacewater yesterday morning, and quite like the livery on this one. Bought back memories of Truronian!

83G/84D

Established Member
I saw 65764 in Chacewater yesterday morning, and quite like the livery on this one. Bought back memories of Truronian!

Yes does look similar, I thought the Truronian silver and red looked good especially on the Dart's.

65763 now has a rail replacement sticker in the window so expect to see it at Penzance or Truro railway station's over the coming days along with a number of Scania coaches.

Just in case anyone is unaware the railway line between St Erth and Truro closes tomorrow until 23rd November with replacement road services operating between Penzance / St Erth and Truro.
Some replacement buses will also operate between Plymouth & Cornwall. Branch line services to Falmouth are running normally and a revised timetable is in operation on the St Ives line.

Full details are on the First Great Western website.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Adding to 83g/84d comment, it appears all st Ives branch services are running through to penzance.

83G/84D

Established Member
Adding to 83g/84d comment, it appears all st Ives branch services are running through to penzance.

Not quite, the St Ives train will run to/from Penzance in the morning and evening and for the remainder of the day will be only on the branch line with a Penzance - St Erth - Penzance shuttle train.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

On the 18 again today - only saw it from the back at first, and if it had been in Truro I might have thought it was a WG ex-London bus still in its original livery. Drew alongside and saw the silver stripe: the red did look Londonesque though rather than the Truronian shade.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Not quite, the St Ives train will run to/from Penzance in the morning and evening and for the remainder of the day will be only on the branch line with a Penzance - St Erth - Penzance shuttle train.
Interesting. I wonder why they simply don't run it as a through service.

Dave

richw

Veteran Member

The initial communication showed as a Penzance to St Ives shuttle all day. I guess they've changed the plan then.

83G/84D

Established Member
As some of you will know the 18 has started serving the West Cornwall shopping Park at Hayle (in both directions) which is where M&S and Boots are located (amongst others). I am not sure what route the bus is supposed to take to serve this site but last week a bus actually went right into the car park which is not supposed to happen apparently, and it got stuck.

I was told by someone who was on the bus that it took around 30 minutes for the bus to get out of the car park!

Locals who know the site will understand the problems of taking a bus in there!

:oops:

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
As some of you will know the 18 has started serving the West Cornwall shopping Park at Hayle (in both directions) which is where M&S and Boots are located (amongst others). I am not sure what route the bus is supposed to take to serve this site but last week a bus actually went right into the car park which is not supposed to happen apparently, and it got stuck.

I was told by someone who was on the bus that it took around 30 minutes for the bus to get out of the car park!

I got a LWB Transit stuck in there when it was very busy. Cant even imagine taking a bus in there!
I'm guessing its meant to swing around the roundabout by the rugby club and stop on the bus stop.

83G/84D

Established Member
I got a LWB Transit stuck in there when it was very busy. Cant even imagine taking a bus in there!
I'm guessing its meant to swing around the roundabout by the rugby club and stop on the bus stop.

I would think you are correct although turning a bus on the roundabout would be quite a challenge I'd suspect. I have not been on the 18 recently but I think only every other journey goes in there. Probably a briefing going up in the drivers mess rooms after that episode.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
I would think you are correct although turning a bus on the roundabout would be quite a challenge I'd suspect. I have not been on the 18 recently but I think only every other journey goes in there. Probably a briefing going up in the drivers mess rooms after that episode.

Western Greyhound always used to turn their President Tridents on the roundabout, and after their fire their routemaster was operating that route. I guess it just requires going as wide as possible.

SWTH

Not a struggle on the rugby club roundabout - turned everything from Citaros to VR's to Olympians there. Can't understand why anyone would head into the retail park though - definitely a navigational error!

Busaholic

Veteran Member

Even two cars passing on the bend before the car park have to take care! It is only in recent days that a bus stop sign has been fixed to the lamp standard plus timetable information: before that the only indication that it might be a bus stop was an old Western Greyhound (empty) timetable frame. No bus stop marked out on the road and double yellow lines covering the whole road! I pointed all this out to Cornwall Council months ago, when Help the Aged, Hayle, took over from Western Greyhound on the backroad route to Penzance and no timetable info was ever displayed.

I know one of the two minders in the car park and I'll ask him about the bus next time I see him.
IMO, and never having been a bus driver, the roundabout is just about negotiable for a u-turning 14 or 18 so long as the other traffic is aware what the driver is trying to do - although it is a mini roundabout in the sense of the raised bit it has extra space on all sides to turn it into a full roundabout, but would still be tight, given there'd be a good chance of a car waiting to come out of the car park right up to or even slightly over the give-way lines on its final bit of the turn.

83G/84D

Established Member
Eden Bendy bus No 11085 on the Truro Park & Ride today although only doing the Langarth P&R to Treliske Hospital service. The driver said the plan is to use at least one of these on the full service on days of late night shopping in the run up to Christmas.

richw

Veteran Member
Eden Bendy bus No 11085 on the Truro Park & Ride today although only doing the Langarth P&R to Treliske Hospital service. The driver said the plan is to use at least one of these on the full service on days of late night shopping in the run up to Christmas.

There has been a bendy on the Treliske shuttle nearly every day for at least 3 weeks. There should be a bendy on the Treliske permanently once the East park and ride site opens.

LateThanNever

There has been a bendy on the Treliske shuttle nearly every day for at least 3 weeks. There should be a bendy on the Treliske permanently once the East park and ride site opens.

Surely a bendy wouldn't fit through Truro!

Surely a bendy wouldn't fit through Truro!

One of the Park and Ride Scania lines has already been swapped for a bendi and the Scania reallocated to commercial services. This will stay in place until Cornwall Council complete their purchase of a new fleet of 9 - 3 being for the extra buses required to serve the new site when it comes on stream.

LateThanNever

One of the Park and Ride Scania lines has already been swapped for a bendi and the Scania reallocated to commercial services. This will stay in place until Cornwall Council complete their purchase of a new fleet of 9 - 3 being for the extra buses required to serve the new site when it comes on stream.

So are you saying it will??!!