• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Marc Huws has now teased that 4 E400s are being converted to open top to allow the full Watchet to Ilfracombe route to become open top for next season. This will most likely be the 4 59 plates which were confirmed to become open top a few weeks back.

This will make you wonder what the future plans are for the two open back E200s currently on the Sunseeker between Lynmouth and Ilfracombe.
Not really a tease :D
With our @adventuresbybus Exmoor Coaster snd Sunseekers packed this Summer, we’ve commissioned another 4 open top E400s from @ThorntonsBus which are now in build to allow the full Watchet to Ilfracombe route to become open top in 2023

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
Just looking on bus times (with all the caveats that brings) but 37791 and 37792 weren't out in service until 3 weeks ago, 37793 is still not out, but the others seem to be reasonably ok with only 37796 having about 10 days VOR in one spell.

37793 was being worked on in Camborne yesterday.

RPI

Established Member
Did a trip on the Lands end coaster yesterday, was rammed but did my usual trick by getting on at St Erth so that when the masses alight in St Ives I go upstairs before the next lot get on.

Great trip and at £10 for a family of 5 of us its a cheap day out, Lands End is an even bigger disappointment than the last time I went and a rip off, next time we'll bail out at Sennen Cove and go to the beach! The trip back on the 16:40 from Lands End was a great trip, the driver giving regular commentary (didn't realise they had a PA system) and was generally quite a funny chap, it made the trip all the more enjoyable.

And getting stuck in a traffic jam of cows at Gurnards Head was the highlight of the day for my 5 year old lad :lol:

Helped that it was perfect weather mostly, sunny but a nice breeze.

E-Rail

Rough PVR calculation for an hourly service end-to-end is 7, so with the current four vehicles plus the four new ones gives one spare. So just right.
Presumably though the 4 extra E400s would then be for the Land's End Coaster allowing B9s to move to the Exmoor Coaster

Presumably though the 4 extra E400s would then be for the Land's End Coaster allowing B9s to move to the Exmoor Coaster
I doubt that very much as the B9s have now finally started being branded up for the Land's End Coaster.
Rough PVR calculation for an hourly service end-to-end is 7, so with the current four vehicles plus the four new ones gives one spare. So just right.
Yes this looks to be an extension of the Exmoor Coaster for next year. I imagine the open back E200s will move onto a different Sunseeker elsewhere but we'll just have to wait and see on that one.

richw

Veteran Member
Marcs tweet in the link shared above that you’ve replied says the 4 e400 are for Exmoor.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I imagine the open back E200s will move onto a different Sunseeker elsewhere but we'll just have to wait and see on that one.
Given by then the operating territory will stretch from Land's End to Heathrow Airport they shouldn't have much problem finding a home!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
@richw has said that the aim is to standardise the Buses of Somerset fleet on enviros so could be an e400 fleet on there with those four
Yes this looks to be an extension of the Exmoor Coaster for next year. I imagine the open back E200s will move onto a different Sunseeker elsewhere but we'll just have to wait and see on that one.
There’s enough scope for additional Sunseekers, that’s for certain.

E-Rail

Marcs tweet in the link shared above that you’ve replied says the 4 e400 are for Exmoor.
He doesn't actually say that though! He says they'll enable the full route to become open top next year. That's different from saying they are destined for the Exmoor Coaster themselves.

embers25

Established Member
Given by then the operating territory will stretch from Land's End to Heathrow Airport they shouldn't have much problem finding a home!
Quite a long way by open top tho lol. Would be great seeing Kernow in Heathrow tho but not very scenic!

83G/84D

Established Member
Can anyone tell me what services First Kernow will be operating tomorrow ( Bank holiday Monday)? Saturday or Sunday service? I can’t find it on the website. Thanks.

83G/84D

Established Member
Thanks @richw . I'm not sure when 32207 will be out in service again. I saw it today with bodywork damage on the lower side behind the door, which had been covered with black tape. Looked enough to keep it out of service until or if repairs are carried out.

Last edited:

E-Rail

Sorry if I missed it but does the Exmoor Coaster have an end date or is it continuing into autumn?

@richw has said that the aim is to standardise the Buses of Somerset fleet on enviros so could be an e400 fleet on there with those four
From what I understand Marc said in one of his tweets Somerset will be mainly E200/300/400s along with some SRs. I also wonder when they will start getting round to painting the E400s as well...

Sorry if I missed it but does the Exmoor Coaster have an end date or is it continuing into autumn?
It will continue into Autumn and from the end of October it will have a winter timetable.

E-Rail

From what I understand Marc said in one of his tweets Somerset will be mainly E200/300/400s along with some SRs. I also wonder when they will start getting round to painting the E400s as well...

It will continue into Autumn and from the end of October it will have a winter timetable.
Thanks for that. Fancied an outing but not in the school holidays!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Thanks @richw . I'm not sure when 32207 will be out in service again. I saw it today with bodywork damage on the lower side behind the door, which had been covered with black tape. Looked enough to keep it out of service until or if repairs are carried out.
I'd have though it would be curtains for it. No point in repairing a 22 year bus whose days would otherwise be numbered anyway.

farwest

Standing room only on the coaster to Lands end from St.Ives at 1005 this morning. I had to use the centre door to get off at Zennor.

RELL6L

The Lands End Coaster timetable from next week as posted on First Kernow's own website is utterly incomprehensible. There appear to be three variations of the timetable but something is wrong with the notes.

Clockwise, for example the 10.30 from Penzance to Lands End, St Ives, Penzance.
Note 1 - all the way round via St Ives Holiday Village - shown as from 1 November
Note 2 - all the way round not via St Ives Holiday Village - shown as until 31 October
Note 3 - only as far as Sennen Cove - shown as from 1 November

Anti-clockwise, eg 09.30 from Penzance via St Ives, Sennen (11.55), Lands End to Penzance
Note 1 - all the way round via St Ives Holiday Village - shown as from 1 November
Note 2 - all the way round not via St Ives Holiday Village - shown as 28-December only
Note 3 - starting at Sennen Cove at 11.55 - shown as until 31 October

So the two directions are different, in both cases it only goes via St Ives Holiday Village when it is closed, and at some point it only goes to Sennen Cove.
It is just 28-31 December when it only goes to Sennen Cove? Or throughout from 1 November? Good if it runs round all winter.
And assuming it runs via St Ives Holiday Village only when it is open then we should have:
Note 1 - until 31 October
Note 2 - from 1 November but not 28-31 December (assuming these are not duplicates!)
Note 3 - 28-31 December only

There are also notes 0 and 4 up to 9 repeating the various options but no journeys are actually headed with any of these notes.

The L5, meanwhile, has two journeys at all times, one via St Ives Holiday Village and one not. Guessing some notes are required here.

The 17 has notes 1 and 2 for journeys which sometimes run via St Ives Holiday Village and these appear correct, although they also have notes 0 and 3 up to 9 (Sundays) which are not used!

Confusing! Please - someone with influence - get this put right.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The Lands End Coaster timetable from next week as posted on First Kernow's own website is utterly incomprehensible. There appear to be three variations of the timetable but something is wrong with the notes.

Clockwise, for example the 10.30 from Penzance to Lands End, St Ives, Penzance.
Note 2 - all the way round not via St Ives Holiday Village - shown as until 31 October
Note 3 - only as far as Sennen Cove - shown as from 1 November

Anti-clockwise, eg 09.30 from Penzance via St Ives, Sennen (11.55), Lands End to Penzance
Note 2 - all the way round not via St Ives Holiday Village - shown as 28-December only
Note 3 - starting at Sennen Cove at 11.55 - shown as until 31 October

So the two directions are different, in both cases it only goes via St Ives Holiday Village when it is closed, and at some point it only goes to Sennen Cove.
It is just 28-31 December when it only goes to Sennen Cove? Or throughout from 1 November? Good if it runs round all winter.
And assuming it runs via St Ives Holiday Village only when it is open then we should have:
Note 1 - until 31 October
Note 2 - from 1 November but not 28-31 December (assuming these are not duplicates!)
Note 3 - 28-31 December only

There are also notes 0 and 4 up to 9 repeating the various options but no journeys are actually headed with any of these notes.

The L5, meanwhile, has two journeys at all times, one via St Ives Holiday Village and one not. Guessing some notes are required here.

The 17 has notes 1 and 2 for journeys which sometimes run via St Ives Holiday Village and these appear correct, although they also have notes 0 and 3 up to 9 (Sundays) which are not used!

Confusing! Please - someone with influence - get this put right.
It all makes much more sense in the new TfC timetable book.

Bill Badger

Thanks for the link.

Interesting that just on a cursory glance at services I use there are a number of changes that don't appear to have been advertised in the pre-change publicity.

A major recast of 315 Hopley's Redruth to St Agnes timetable and the withdrawal of 75 link to Liskeard Station are just two I've picked up.

The timetables for Tin Coaster seems to be missing from the book entirely!

RELL6L

It certainly does! Thanks - I didn't know that existed.
The timetables for Tin Coaster seems to be missing from the book entirely!
Agreed - that's a shame.

i also note that the Atlantic Coaster says it runs daily until 1 October, implying that it stops then. Other services continue somewhat longer, even the S2, and - good to see - the land End Coaster is running throughout the winter. Is that right? didn't the Atlantic Coaster run through last year? First's own website just shows the timetable as 5/9/22 until further notice.

Paperyostrich

E400s are due to get a new BoS livery so we have been told

Solo SR's also due to go on Taunton P&R