• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Goldfish62

Established Member
I assume that will help the purge of B7TLs from First, and at 15/16 years, have little book value left on them. The real downside is that I think they've never had any internal refurb (unless someone can clarify); quite a number of the B7TLs that arrived in 2020 had been refurbished in Glasgow and Bristol and those that hadn't, were retrimmed IIRC.
Don't know whether any refurbishment has ever been done. If it hasn't I can't see it happening in these lean times for what's going to be another 4-5 years life at the most.

Some of the B7TLs in Cornwall are now 20 years old and a couple 21 years old. As a driver remarked on Facebook they've had it and most smell like mushroom farms internally. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mic

Unconfirmed reports of 30 B9TLs heading to Cornwall from Oldham at the end of March to displace most of the B7TLs. Unfortunately they're early examples no younger than the B7TLs were when they arrived in Cornwall. Also, most are in Olympia livery and it remains to be seen whether they'll be repainted.
There are 58 and 09 reg ones at Oldham. They've got 4 ex York ones as well. Some of them sound tired these days and all are Euro 6 spec.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Don't know whether any refurbishment has ever been done. If it hasn't I can't see it happening in these lean times for what's going to be another 4-5 years life at the most.

Some of the B7TLs in Cornwall are now 20 years old and a couple 21 years old. As a driver remarked on Facebook they've had it and most smell like mushroom farms internally. :D
The old ones are the open toppers. Of the closed tops, there's two that are short wheelbase that are needed for a tight turn at Malpas (?) and they're 20 years old. The others are marginally newer - the oldest of those were new in Nov 2004 whilst some are 2007 vintage.

TBH, Cornwall has always been the home of superannuated deckers. Remember how old the VRs were when they finally came off ;) Even in NBC days, to get rid of crew operated FLFs, they got some very pre-enjoyed Atlanteans.

Accelerator59

58 and 09 reg ones at Oldham they got 4 ex York ones aswell some of them sound tried these days and all are Euro 6 spec
They’ll probably be the 58 plates as there are 30 of them and around a dozen or so 09 plates plus the ex-York ones you mentioned.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Looking on BusTimes for First Kernow I see there are just under 50 B7TLs listed as in service so with 30 B9 replacements there would still be around 20 B7TL survivors.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Looking on BusTimes for First Kernow I see there are just under 50 B7TLs listed as in service so with 30 B9 replacements there would still be around 20 B7TL survivors.
Indeed, although there may be more currently in the fleet than would normally required for PVR + spares to cover for an increasingly unreliable fleet of B7s.

cnjb8

Established Member

Indeed, although there may be more currently in the fleet than would normally required for PVR + spares to cover for an increasingly unreliable fleet of B7s.
Also there may be B9's displaced by new Electroliners at Leeds and Norwich

Andyh82

Established Member
I assume that will help the purge of B7TLs from First, and at 15/16 years, have little book value left on them. The real downside is that I think they've never had any internal refurb (unless someone can clarify); quite a number of the B7TLs that arrived in 2020 had been refurbished in Glasgow and Bristol and those that hadn't, were retrimmed IIRC.
Ideally if any B7TLs have been retrimmed, couldn’t they swap the seats with those worn out ones in the B9TLs? The seats are identical are they not?

Ideally if any B7TLs have been retrimmed, couldn’t they swap the seats with those worn out ones in the B9TLs? The seats are identical are they not?

Sadly this wasn’t done on buses with retrimmed seats that have been scrapped already, including some B7TLs, so one is doubtful they’d do it this time.

A real shame to see how standards have slipped at Kernow, the refurbishment and repaints done on the B7TLs lifted a few years off them cosmetically, but now it’s seemingly back to down at heel cast offs with no effort to tidy them up.

richw

Veteran Member
Unconfirmed reports of 30 B9TLs heading to Cornwall from Oldham at the end of March to displace most of the B7TLs. Unfortunately they're early examples no younger than the B7TLs were when they arrived in Cornwall. Also, most are in Olympia livery and it remains to be seen whether they'll be repainted.
The person who first posted it on Facebook will be in the know, and can be taken as factual.
They’ve surrendered approx 10 school services from February half term, reducing requirement

OptareOlympus

What is the split of B7TL Geminis in Cornwall between MK1 and MK2/ I'd imagine 30 would easily see off all the MK1s. The MK2 are basically B9TLs anyway with the B7 engine.

Goldfish62

Established Member
What is the split of B7TL Geminis in Cornwall between MK1 and MK2/ I'd imagine 30 would easily see off all the MK1s. The MK2 are basically B9TLs anyway with the B7 engine.
Given that Mk2 production started mid 2004 only a couple are older than that.

buscoaster

With no allocated vehicle yet, and observed low passenger numbers in previous years, rumour has it that the Falmouth Coaster may not return this year. This just rumour I emphasise, but what would people suggest could be a good way to give it a boost (route changes etc) in order to increase patronage?

Goldfish62

Established Member
With no allocated vehicle yet, and observed low passenger numbers in previous years, rumour has it that the Falmouth Coaster may not return this year. This just rumour I emphasise, but what would people suggest could be a good way to give it a boost (route changes etc) in order to increase patronage?
The other rumour is that given that the Southsea Coaster B9TL has just turned up at Camborne that'll be the new allocated vehicle.

There are still also six unbranded vehicles, two in Sunseeker yellow and four in unbranded Coaster.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
In a small queue on Chyandour Cliff in Penzance at the temporary lights at lunchtime were two T1s and a U4, all d/d. The first T1 got through the first green, the others on the next. Needless to say, probably, but each bore completely different liveries, only one of which was correct for the allocation.

fgwrich

Established Member
The other rumour is that given that the Southsea Coaster B9TL has just turned up at Camborne that'll be the new allocated vehicle.

There are still also six unbranded vehicles, two in Sunseeker yellow and four in unbranded Coaster.
So I wonder if that means First have given up the Southsea Coaster then? Shame if so.

83G/84D

Established Member
I think they have given up on Southsea and Falmouth to be honest
The adventures by bus website says both will return in spring 2024. To be honest I am not sure when that page was put up however things do change and I guess we will have to wait and see what happens to the network for this year.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The adventures by bus website says both will return in spring 2024. To be honest I am not sure when that page was put up however things do change and I guess we will have to wait and see what happens to the network for this year.
The Adventures by Bus website is notoriously inaccurate and out of date most of the time.

richw

Veteran Member
The Adventures by Bus website is notoriously inaccurate and out of date most of the time.
I wonder if we will still see the enthusiasm from within the company towards the Adventures By Bus branding and projects. All of the management behind ABB have left the business, and the current incumbents don’t seem to have the passion of the predecessors and it looks like an accountants business right now. Everything is about the pound. Marc m-Huws had passion and enthusiasm for the industry as well as experience, and performed the marketing side very well. That element seems to have been lost now.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I wonder if we will still see the enthusiasm from within the company towards the Adventures By Bus branding and projects. All of the management behind ABB have left the business, and the current incumbents don’t seem to have the passion of the predecessors and it looks like an accountants business right now. Everything is about the pound. Marc m-Huws had passion and enthusiasm for the industry as well as experience, and performed the marketing side very well. That element seems to have been lost now.
Well indeed. Marc Huw's replacement has no prior public transport experience and all we've seen from him to date is cuts. Whether it's because he thinks that's the way to go or he's being told from above to cut I don't know. Certainly as far as Cornwall is concerned it feels like we're back in the Lockhead era.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I think you've answered your own question.

I don't think Simon Goff and the team are bad people. However, Alex Carter and Marc Morgan-Huws were clearly very committed to the growth and marketing of the Kernow business. That's an important distinction - never felt Somerset had quite the focus. Clearly under their control, they were prepared to experiment much more. Some of those were very successful - Atlantic and Exmoor Coasters - but some were not. I was very unsure about the Lizard network and the open toppers. Similarly, DayTripper was another idea that had some fundamental flaws.

Still, I'd hope to see them properly market and manage the remaining Coasters in 2024 (Falmouth arguably being the weakest of the services) as yes, the mojo seems to have left with MMH. Arguably, the focus on marketing went too far with too many liveries and brands in a network/operation that demands levels of interworking etc to cycle vehicles through depots.