• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First to pull out in Clacton area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony ross

Looks like all local Clacton services will be withdrawn leaving only the Colchester to Clacton and Clacton to Walton services which will move to Colchester depot

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
Here is the Press release : It only seems to have turned up on facebook group as of yet.. I would not be surprised if Go-ahead make some minor adjustments to take full control of Clacton.

FIRST ESSEX ANNOUNCES PROPOSAL TO CLOSE
CLACTON BUS DEPOT

Bus operator, First Essex, has announced proposals to close its
operating base in Clacton and discontinue running local bus services 2, 3, 4/4a, 5/5a and 6. Services between Clacton and Colchester and between Clacton and Walton on the Naze will continue to be operated by First Essex, seven days per week.

First Essex has said that its bus operation in Clacton has not been viable for several years.

Despite working hard to turn the business around, there has been insufficient passenger demand to use the network of bus services that are in place. The continuing challenging economy has also been a factor to First Essex's proposed withdrawal.

Steve Wickers, Managing Director of First Essex said; "I'm
disappointed that we are proposing to withdraw services in Clacton, but regrettably, we see no alternative. Despite our best efforts and hard work to encourage people to use the service network in the town, customers have declined gradually over the last couple of years.

"Unfortunately, the level of demand is not enough to warrant a
stand-alone bus operation in Clacton.

"We are proposing to continue running services as normal, however, we are engaging with Essex County Council on the future of bus services in the area. Given the volume of other bus operators that operate in and around Clacton, I'm confident that customers shouldn't be left without a service."

In line with the proposed closure of the Clacton business, First
Essex has started the collective consultation process with trade
unions on the possibility of redundancies, which could involve around 60 jobs being at risk.

Steve Wickers added: "Our proposals do not, in any way, reflect on the commitment of our colleagues in Clacton who have worked tirelessly to provide the best possible service to the local
community. I'd like to thank each and every one, for their hard work and loyalty.

"We will be doing everything we can to assist everyone affected and will actively support any of our employees who may wish to transfer to other First Bus operations

Sounds like First have announced the closure of Clacton depot, and withdrawal of the local services. Can anyone confirm ?

Yes, this is correct. Staff were informed on Friday. Some services will be operated from Colchester and some staff will be transferred, but unfortunately it seems there will be some redundancies and route losses as well.

Staff at Braintree (currently an outstation of Chelmsford) are also being consulted on closure. The 70 will still run, operated by Chelmsford directly, but the evening 352 contract (Chelmsford-Braintree-Halstead) is planned to be handed back to Essex County Council after closure.

Hedingham's statement on Clacton services.

https://www.hedingham.co.uk/news/clacton/

Clacton Town Bus Network
Hedingham buses have learned that First in Essex intends to withdraw routes 3 (Harwich-Clacton), 4/4A (Clacton-Jaywick-Burrsville Park/Bocking's Elm circular), 5/5A (Clacton-Flatford Drive) and 6 (Clacton-St Osyth-Point Clear) in Clacton.

Hedingham will be providing replacement bus services running at roughly the same frequency as soon as First finishes so that there is no break in public service. We will be posting proposed timetables for you to comment on soon, and would welcome your feedback.

We have already won the contract from Essex County Council for evening buses in Clacton town from 29th July and look forward to being the major operator within the town as the summer arrives.

Surreyman

Quote from First Re Clacton Closure: -
First says its Clacton operation “has not been viable for several years.”
This is an interesting admission, I had assumed that First had now 'sorted out' all its UK bus operations. There was a statement back in the Autumn I think, something along the lines that that all bus operations were profitable, this seems not to be the case, I wonder how many other parts are 'not viable?'

overthewater

Established Member
We already know the points: First scotland east? I'm sure that now sorted, Parts of Manchester, Stoke on trent, Berkshire and Devon and Cornwall. I would be surprised if anywhere else is in trouble.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
We already know the points: First scotland east? I'm sure that now sorted, Parts of Manchester, Stoke on trent, Berkshire and Devon and Cornwall. I would be surprised if anywhere else is in trouble.

If you look back through this thread you'll find the likely problem areas - in particular you've overlooked South Yorkshire - and why only parts of Manchester ?. Potteries has improved but Essex is not looking too good.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Devon was sold a few years ago. .

If you mean First South West, as I understand it BoS is in poor shape, but FK is quite healthy, having had massive investment. I suppose there's no reason why BoS couldn't be sold/closed down and First Kernow retained as a company in its own right.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Quote from First Re Clacton Closure: -
First says its Clacton operation “has not been viable for several years.”
This is an interesting admission, I had assumed that First had now 'sorted out' all its UK bus operations. There was a statement back in the Autumn I think, something along the lines that that all bus operations were profitable, this seems not to be the case, I wonder how many other parts are 'not viable?'

Erm.... Essex being profitable but an individual depot might not be?

Surreyman

Erm.... Essex being profitable but an individual depot might not be?
OK fair point, so each company/separate trading unit is profitable overall but individual depots/areas within it might not be, oh the scope for speculation........:smile:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Profitable, but not *enough* ?

Indeed - especially if you have an aim to make certain margins although it’s all got to be taken “in the round”. I’d suggest that Clacton may not have profitable and they’ve taken steps to improve things but perhaps it’s reached a certain point.

OK fair point, so each company/separate trading unit is profitable overall but individual depots/areas within it might not be, oh the scope for speculation........:smile:

Indeed, and something that you’re not going to get from the financial statements that are aggregated.

overthewater

Established Member
Mods please delete

No, lets keep it, it will stop the main First thread getting cluttered. To be fair first are not pulling completely out of the clacton area since there will still have 7/8 to walton. and the 76 to colchester.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
No, lets keep it, it will stop the main First thread getting cluttered. To be fair first are not pulling completely out of the clacton area since there will still have 7/8 to walton. and the 76 to colchester.
In which case, move the Clacton related posts out of that general thread?

Aren’t they also keeping the 74 group to/from Colchester?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mods please delete
Please contact moderators by using the 'report' button on the relevant post (or the first applicable post, if it refers to several). Messages left for moderators within threads are not picked up on.

Agreed. I have split the posts into a new thread on this occasion, as overthewater kindly provided a list of posts to be moved. If we have missed any, or moved any by mistake, please do contact us directly (but don't reply here), thanks :)

It can be time consuming to move posts from one thread to another so the best thing is if people create new threads themselves where possible though ;) Many thanks!

Anyway enough of that, back on topic! :)

I doubt Hedingham will add ten extra buses, it will most likely look for the cheapest option to combine the two networks.

Hedingham are making changes from 1st July, this may free up some buses.

https://www.hedingham.co.uk/news/changes-hedin/

Hedingham Times review

We are making a number of changes to our timetables from the 1st of July.

We are making a number of changes to our timetables. If you think we’ve got something wrong then tell us by 15th May and we may be able to make an adjustment.
  • It is a year since we introduced our new X76 route. Unfortunately the levels of use are not as good as we had hoped for and we have had to remove some of the least well used journeys that cost us extra resource without good payback.
  • We have also needed to remove a small number of journeys where there are insufficient people using them to cover the costs of operation on routes 87, 88 and 89.

• We have been conscious for some time of poor punctuality on route 137. We have also wanted to provide a link to the new ASDA supermarket. To do this on Mondays to Saturdays and improve time-keeping we have revamped the schedule to provide more journeys and given the bus more time to complete its schedule. We hope everyone will see this as an altogether better service!
And there will be more good news coming soon for Clacton, where we have committed to taking over routes 3, 4/4A, 5/5A and 6 from First – though we don’t know when First intend to finish.

Here are the details of our changes:-

Route X76

The following journeys will change on Mondays to Fridays:-

1419, 1519, 1755 and 2100 from Colchester Head Street to Clacton will no longer run. Hedinghamtickets are accepted by First on evening journeys subsidised by Essex County Council.

1623 from Clacton to Jaywick will no longer run

0616 and 1639 from Jaywick – Clacton – Colchester

1333 from Clacton to Colchester will only go as far as Brook Retail Park

1433 school holiday journey from Clacton to Colchester will only go as far as Brook Retail Park

The 1725 from Colchester to Clacton to Jaywick will run 10 minutes later, as will the 1840 from Jaywick to Great Clacton.

X76 buses will replace 130 buses between Jaywickand Brook Retail Park, although times will change slightly.

The following journeys will change on Saturdays:-

1419, 1519 from Colchester Head Street to Jaywickwill no longer operate.

1540 from Jaywick to Clacton will no longer operate

1333 and 1433 from Clacton to Colchester will only go as far as Brook Retail Park

The 1725 from Colchester to Clacton to Jaywick will run 10 minutes later.

Route 87

A new Sunday timetable will be introduced following consultation earlier in the year.

The following journeys will no longer run on Mondays to Fridays:-

0636, 0757, 1431, 1531 and 1903 departures from Colchester to Brightlingsea will be withdrawn

0617, 1527, 1630 and 2000 departures from Brightlingsea to Colchester will be withdrawn

The 0647 and 1427 journeys from Brightlingsea will terminate at Colchester Osborne Street and not continue to Head Street.

The following journeys will no longer run on Saturdays:-

1903 from Colchester will be withdrawn

0632 and 2000 from Brighlingsea will be withdrawn

Route 88 (changes apply on Mondays to Saturdays)

The 1704 from Colchester High Street to Halstead is extended to Sible Hedingham Sugar Loaves. The 1804 from Colchester High Street to Great Yeldamwill only run as far as Sible Hedingham Sugar Loaves – passengers for Castle and Yeldham should change to route 89 in Halstead.

The 1808 from Halstead to Colchester will no longer operate – there is a First departure about 10 minutes later on Mondays to Fridays.

Route 89 (changes apply on Mondays to Saturdays)

The 1937 from Braintree to Great Yeldham will no longer operate.

Route 130

All the journeys currently operating on route 130 will be covered by route X76 instead.

Route 137 (changes apply on Mondays to Saturdays; the existing Sunday timetable will continue)

This route will operate every 20 minutes for most of the day – slightly less frequently during the school peaks. After 0900 on Mondays to Saturdays buses will serve ASDA superstore

overthewater

Established Member
Its been four weeks now, has the company set a date yet when it wants to pull out?

DaveHarries

Established Member
Its been four weeks now, has the company set a date yet when it wants to pull out?
Not sure if it will be the date of pulling out (and they are not completely giving up on Clacton anyway) but the current timetables on the First Essex website are given as being valid until 28-Jul-2018.

Dave

Volvodart

Established Member
The recent bus depot closure dates have taken 4 months or slightly.more after the initial announcement

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The recent bus depot closure dates have taken 4 months or slightly.more after the initial announcement
The initial announcement was to begin the consultation with staff that you are legally obliged to do. For >100 employees, it is not stipulated but usually takes a month to consult collectively and then individually before making the final announcement.

overthewater

Established Member
Strange in other cases the date or a rough date was given 4months in advance in other loctions.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Strange in other cases the date or a rough date was given 4months in advance in other loctions.
When you enter in consultation with employees, you say what you plan to do and that can include the timescale. However, you must go through the consultation process and not say anything to prejudice that (even if it is a fait accompli).

Status
Not open for further replies.