• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First TPE - Conductor - Glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

apestyler

Hi everyone,

I'm quite interested in applying for the following conductor vacancy based @ Glasgow: https://firstgroup.hua.hrsmart.com/ats/js_job_details.php?reqid=427

Being an outsider to the rail industry I do have a few queries which I'm hoping someone on this helpful forum might be able to answer:

- What routes would I be on (I assume Glasgow Central -> Manchester Airport)?
- What is the training and full salary for this position?
- I have high ambitions of becoming a driver at some point, as I understand First TPE use drivers from a Freight company? How does this effect my chances of getting a driving job within First?
- What are the shifts like?
- Finally what is company morale like?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can advise

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
Although based in Glasgow the trains also operate between Edinburgh and Manchester
Equally, overnight stays in Manchester would be required
You could also be asked to work out of region (although very unlikely) on the other FPTE routes
As an example Hull staff have covered the Glasgow - Manchester over the last few weeks

Conductor training is about 6 months
The first two weeks are spent learning rules, regulations, safety, first aid, and so on
The next two weeks are learning about fares, timetables, and ticket machines
One day is then spent on the rolling stock and equipment
You are then finally let loose on the public, supervised for the first two weeks
Once the six months is over the standard pay rate commences

Shifts are typically ten hours, as this allows one complete return trip
However the end of day trips make this back to back fifteen hour shifts

Once you have been with First Group for two years, advancement to a driver training position is possible
From there you can then transfer to any other company, as you are then familiar in most of the rules and regs, just need traction training

CarterUSM

Established Member
I'd advise you to bide for a scotrail position, better salary, better commission, an extra week operational training, many more routes to cover, and exceedingly more future driving positions to choose from. With regards to company morale, TPE's is far better than scotrail, though this should situation should resolve itself within the next few months with a bit of luck. :)

apestyler

Thank you both rail-britain & CarterUSM - Both very useful information that I'll put into my decision making process.

Does anyone know what the training / full salaries are? I'm not keen on phoning up HR and asking as they might think I'm just in it for the money (which certainly isn't true) I just need to see if it is finanacially viable for me to drop to whatever the training wage is for 6 months.

In regards to driving, was I correct that another company provides drivers for TPE between Glasgow/Edinburgh -> Manchester, and have they promoted internal staff to this position before on this route?

Yes my ideal employer would be ScotRail but I'm having a hard time getting past the application sift for Trainee Driver roles (last one being Helensburgh in May/June 2009) - I'm quite honestly happy to work for either company

Bellwater

Glasgow sign Glasgow Central - Preston and Carstairs - Edinburgh plus some diversions. They might go to Airport, not sure.

One Traction, 185.

Training Wage is £15896, when Qualified it goes up to £21940. this might change soon with Harmonisation(Kwvr45 will know better than me on this).

5% Commission on Ticket Sales, not that you'll sell many on trains.

You could also be asked to work out of region (although very unlikely) on the other FPTE routes

As an example Hull staff have covered the Glasgow - Manchester over the last few weeks

You mean the Trolley Staff?

Hull Crew don't go north of Castlefield Junction. No chance of 15 hr shifts with Railway Group Standards, the maximum you can work is 12 and on the Western side of TPE no shifts are longer than 11.

Last edited:

CarterUSM

Established Member
Additionally apestyler,you were quite correct about the drivers. It is freightliner heavy haul chaps currently working the route. No internal staff have been working this service and as far as i've heard that's the way it will be for some time. Also, as said the guards are routed to manchester airport,though generally only go as far as preston. Best of british in whatever you decide though. :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I know also that the earliest book on is around half 3ish and the latest finish about half ten or so. :)

apestyler

Thanks for the salary info Bluewater - Must admit it will be very tight on the training wage but it is something I'm very keen on doing so I'll look into what I can do budget wise. It'll be interesting to see what this harmonisation does to each salary as a couple more K on each one would make it alot more realistic for me in my current circumstances.

The only area concerning me now is promotion prospects to driving grade, going on what CarterUSM has said it looks like that's out of the question to TPE for the foreseable future. How would First react to myself applying to ScotRail for a trainee driver after a couple of years, would they treat it as an internal applicant or off the street as it's 2 different franchises?

CarterUSM

Established Member
I know quite a few people who applied to TPE from scotrail and they were all treated as external applicants apestyle. As other threads on the forum will tell you, it's debatable whether this is an advantage or not as compared to being an internal applicant anyway. But in any case it's good to get your foot in the door. I think the railway is a great career path to take, and there are a multitude of jobs to suit most people. Let us know how you go regardless. :)

Last edited:

apestyler

Will keep you informed - filling out application atm, nearly finished! Really appreciate all the responses and input from everyone :D

rail-britain

Established Member
Hull Crew don't go north of Castlefield Junction. No chance of 15 hr shifts with Railway Group Standards, the maximum you can work is 12 and on the Western side of TPE no shifts are longer than 11
Back to back shifts of 15 hours, not straight through!
Example :
Monday 10 hours
Overnight rest in hotel 21:00 to 05:00
Tuesday 5 hours

apestyler

Just a quick update, no response from TPE yet, have chased HR twice, just getting the response "Still awaiting outcome of shortlisting" ... been over a month since the closing date so a bit concerned :|

Although based in Glasgow the trains also operate between Edinburgh and Manchester
Equally, overnight stays in Manchester would be required

Conductor training is about 6 months
The first two weeks are spent learning rules, regulations, safety, first aid, and so on
The next two weeks are learning about fares, timetables, and ticket machines
One day is then spent on the rolling stock and equipment
You are then finally let loose on the public, supervised for the first two weeks
Once the six months is over the standard pay rate commences

Once you have been with First Group for two years, advancement to a driver training position is possible
From there you can then transfer to any other company, as you are then familiar in most of the rules and regs, just need traction training

Sorry pal, but you really do not have a clue here, do you even work for TPE?

1) TPE crew do not lodge
2) Glasgow Guards go as far as Preston, again like the other poster, I am not sure if they sign south of Preston, I am 90% certain they don't.
3) TPE Hull staff, drivers and guards do not sign North of Manchester, and thus could not work trains to Edinburgh. TPE do not have catering staff based at Hull.
4) Typically a guards training programme is 3-4 months, with a lot longer than a fortnight on rules, and a hell of a lot longer than one day traction training!
5) First have no defined policy on how long you must have been employed with them prior to applying for a driving job, you can apply for one at anytime, providing you meet the standards laid out in the assessments, interview and medical, if you are good you are welcome, however, on a personal level, I would say that 2 years is a good length of time to be in a role like a guard to get a feel and an understanding for the operational railway.

apestyler

Thanks for the additional / updated information 91101, I do have a few concerns in regards to driving prospects within TPE.

- Are all TPE trains to Glasgow operated by Freightliner HH drivers? If so would they look at recruiting from First if the need arose (has this happened before)?

- I cannot currently relocate so a base depot has to be in the Glasgow area for me, do TPE have a drivers depot or share one with Virgin or ScotRail?

If I remember correctly FTPE use Freighliner drivers for the first and last services of the day from Glasgow with all others being FTPE drivers from down south (Preston perhaps?). Only conductor depot at Glasgow, no drivers (if i remember correctly).

driver9000

Established Member
If I remember correctly FTPE use Freighliner drivers for the first and last services of the day from Glasgow with all others being FTPE drivers from down south (Preston perhaps?). Only conductor depot at Glasgow, no drivers (if i remember correctly).

Blackpool North and Manchester Piccadilly drivers work the Scottish services, there is no TPE depot at Preston.

Status
Not open for further replies.