• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First TransPennine Express - First Class - worth doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invincibles

I have always thought the first class on TPE worth getting when the difference is not too much.

Manchester - Sheffield is a bit busy, and last time I was on a 170 on that route it was too full really, but the seat in first class did help. The trolley was at the other end of the train so could not get to the first class section to give out the freebies. I was not too bothered and was able to get a bottle of water at Sheffield as I got off the train (next train was EMT standard class) and the woman working the trolley was very helpful with that.

Yes they only offer that bag of standard prepacked biscuits and coffee/water but that is fine for me, especially as most journeys are not that long.

One thing is certain, the seats are definitely much better than standard class.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

harz99

Does anyone know whether first class is busy on edinburgh - manc services?

If it is the one that couples to a Glasgow-Manchester unit at Carlisle (around 1130 ex CAR from memory) then no as two first class sections on one train from CAR onwards. Otherwise varies with TOD, DOW, month, events etc.

cuccir

Established Member
Certainly don't bother buying a first class ticket at the weekend, given how cheap it is to upgrade on train. My main use of TPE is at weekends and if a TPE train looks really busy coming out of Manchester I tend to head straight for first class as it's almost always declassified, though often few passengers actually then come through and sit there. In the event that it isn't, then it only costs £6

premier01

lol - can't see that happening. Unless they close 1st Class and keep it as a unofficial staff rest zone!!!

I think it means that no service is offered between Preston and Blackpool-no trolley etc-but First Class is available.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have always thought the first class on TPE worth getting when the difference is not too much.

Manchester - Sheffield is a bit busy, and last time I was on a 170 on that route it was too full really, but the seat in first class did help. The trolley was at the other end of the train so could not get to the first class section to give out the freebies. I was not too bothered and was able to get a bottle of water at Sheffield as I got off the train (next train was EMT standard class) and the woman working the trolley was very helpful with that.

Yes they only offer that bag of standard prepacked biscuits and coffee/water but that is fine for me, especially as most journeys are not that long.

One thing is certain, the seats are definitely much better than standard class.

The 170 1st is just as pleasant as the 185 however on busy services the small 1st section becomes full very quickly-I have had to stand up with a 1st class ticket on many occasions on peak services from Manchester to Leeds and Hull-not really worth the hassles of claiming refund-think u can though.

xtradj

AFAIK you don't get free sandwiches, only drinks and nibbles. It might be worth it if you want to have better legroom and a quieter carriage, but think that the money saved by going in standard you could go to a nice restaurant, which would certainly please the gf!

you dont get free sandwiches?

if you go to first class to get a free sandwich, you could buy one for £2 rather than doubling your ticket price. ha your nuts

Flying Snail

Established Member
you dont get free sandwiches?

if you go to first class to get a free sandwich, you could buy one for £2 rather than doubling your ticket price. ha your nuts

But they are FREE nuts. ;)

The main reason why I prefer 1st is for the space and relative peace, not that that is guaranteed even in 1st these days. Free stuff is fine but some of the best 1st class journeys I have taken have been on trains without any at-seat service.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
AFAIK sandwiches are only included in the FC offer on TPE services to/from Scotland.

WillPS

Established Member
Crackers I think.

I was extremely disappointed with TPE First Class. Frankly, it shouldn't exist - there's not enough capacity nor an acceptable level of service.

Class 33

Established Member
Earlier this year I booked a standard class ticket from Manchester-York on a Saturday afternoon. Upon departure from Manchester it soon became apparant that there were a large crowd of noisy football fans in the carriage I was booked in, and elsewhere in the other two carriages too. Soon after the conductor announced on the PA system that a 1st Class upgrade was available for just £6. As I was not enjoying the noisy atmosphere onboard this train, I made my mind up straight away that I would goto 1st Class and upgrade.

Anyway, I found the £6 1st Class upgrade fee excellent value. Peace and quiet during my 1 hour 25 minute journey away from those noisy football fans. There was only a few other people in 1st Class on that journey, and I had a 4-seat table seating to myself. Plus I got free orange juice and biscuts too. Excellent value. For £6 you certainly can't complain at that. Well done First Transpine Express!

WillPS

Established Member
My observations from a First class TPE trip in Feb:

Friday afternoon:
Sheffield - Manchester Piccadilly
Train packed as expected. Standard class came in to First Class because there was literally nowhere else for them to go on board. Upon inspection of our 1st tickets, we were offered a cup of tea and a biscuit by the catering host. All credit to the conductor here, he fought his way through the train (First was in the leading end) and personally apologised to the 3 groups of 1st class passengers and gave us the relevant forms to claim for compensation.

Manchester Piccadilly - Blackpool North
Platform 14 was absolutely rammed, so we knew it was going to be tough just to get in to First Class. Eventually we did, and just as we took our seats and were offered a cup of tea, the conductor announced that First Class was now declassified as far as Bolton only, naturally the compartment filled right out. Bolton came and went, and none of the Standard Class passengers were asked to move by the conductor, nor the catering/first class lady, nor the 2 'G4S' Security guards who just stood in First Class. Our tickets were not checked once and we were not offered an apology of any sort.

Sunday afternoon:
Blackpool North - Preston
Rail replacement bus (shudders). No first class, obviously - but the situation at BPN wasnt great; they'd turned off the bloody departures screen (well, replaced it with a "SPECIAL NOTICE") so it was impossible to keep up with what was going on. We were erroneously shoved on an earlier bus to Preston.

Preston - Manchester Piccadilly
I asked a member of staff at Preston if we'd be alright to get an earlier train to Manchester Piccadilly, and he said there'd be no problem. I neednt have wasted his time, the train arrived with a (nearly) empty First Class compartment which was filled by standard class passengers before we could even get on. An awful, awful family (think Shameless, without any endearing traits) from Bolton occupied 6 seats, the father figure explaining to his children (loudly) that First Class is for mugs, ripping the First Class headrest cover-things off and generally trashing that area of the train. Coach A was freezing cold, the engine beneath sounded as though it was revving every 3 seconds or so. There was absolutely no presence from on board staff; no catering trolley. Not impressed.

Manchester Piccadilly - Sheffield
Lo and behold - that very same 185 showed up to form our return to Sheffield, even more trashed than before. Our reserved seats (not that there was any ticket to show that) were on the table trashed by the Gallagher's, but we found the next table only had discarded (but sealed?) packet sandwiches covering it, - we moved them to the trashed table and took that one. BOTH toilets were locked out of use. Once again Standard Class passengers came in and remained there unchallenged for the duration of our journey. Once again, no on-board staff presence; no catering trolley.

Other general observations:
Class 185s layout is screwed - why the hell have they wedged First Class in the MIDDLE of a coach, which flip down seats and a toilet the other side? Why isn't First Class against the cab with its own door?
Class 185s already look knackered - particularly on the 'trashed' unit; skirting was chipped, seats were clearly fading/lacking padding.
Class 185s have totally ineffective heating.

Overall assessment:
From a passenger point of view: no point paying for a first class ticket. Just go and sit in there, you'll be fine.
From a corporate/governmental point of view: don't offer fist class unless you're going to staff/enforce it. As it stands, I just felt completely ripped off.

Ironically, the only journey which I felt we were offered a First Class service was the first one where the conductor apologised profusely. This was possibly the most packed train; why on earth did the other conductors not bother?

tl;dr: no - it's not worth it.

MCR247

Established Member
Sorry, so a rake of coaches couldn't have been trashed and have bad heating? I can't see anything there which makes it a 'DMU only' problem

Eng274

My observations from a First class TPE trip in Feb:

Friday afternoon:
Sheffield - Manchester Piccadilly
Train packed as expected. Standard class came in to First Class because there was literally nowhere else for them to go on board. Upon inspection of our 1st tickets, we were offered a cup of tea and a biscuit by the catering host. All credit to the conductor here, he fought his way through the train (First was in the leading end) and personally apologised to the 3 groups of 1st class passengers and gave us the relevant forms to claim for compensation.

Manchester Piccadilly - Blackpool North
Platform 14 was absolutely rammed, so we knew it was going to be tough just to get in to First Class. Eventually we did, and just as we took our seats and were offered a cup of tea, the conductor announced that First Class was now declassified as far as Bolton only, naturally the compartment filled right out. Bolton came and went, and none of the Standard Class passengers were asked to move by the conductor, nor the catering/first class lady, nor the 2 'G4S' Security guards who just stood in First Class. Our tickets were not checked once and we were not offered an apology of any sort.

Sunday afternoon:
Blackpool North - Preston
Rail replacement bus (shudders). No first class, obviously - but the situation at BPN wasnt great; they'd turned off the bloody departures screen (well, replaced it with a "SPECIAL NOTICE") so it was impossible to keep up with what was going on. We were erroneously shoved on an earlier bus to Preston.

Preston - Manchester Piccadilly
I asked a member of staff at Preston if we'd be alright to get an earlier train to Manchester Piccadilly, and he said there'd be no problem. I neednt have wasted his time, the train arrived with a (nearly) empty First Class compartment which was filled by standard class passengers before we could even get on. An awful, awful family (think Shameless, without any endearing traits) from Bolton occupied 6 seats, the father figure explaining to his children (loudly) that First Class is for mugs, ripping the First Class headrest cover-things off and generally trashing that area of the train. Coach A was freezing cold, the engine beneath sounded as though it was revving every 3 seconds or so. There was absolutely no presence from on board staff; no catering trolley. Not impressed.

Manchester Piccadilly - Sheffield
Lo and behold - that very same 185 showed up to form our return to Sheffield, even more trashed than before. Our reserved seats (not that there was any ticket to show that) were on the table trashed by the Gallagher's, but we found the next table only had discarded (but sealed?) packet sandwiches covering it, - we moved them to the trashed table and took that one. BOTH toilets were locked out of use. Once again Standard Class passengers came in and remained there unchallenged for the duration of our journey. Once again, no on-board staff presence; no catering trolley.

Other general observations:
Class 185s layout is screwed - why the hell have they wedged First Class in the MIDDLE of a coach, which flip down seats and a toilet the other side? Why isn't First Class against the cab with its own door?
Class 185s already look knackered - particularly on the 'trashed' unit; skirting was chipped, seats were clearly fading/lacking padding.
Class 185s have totally ineffective heating.

Overall assessment:
From a passenger point of view: no point paying for a first class ticket. Just go and sit in there, you'll be fine.
From a corporate/governmental point of view: don't offer fist class unless you're going to staff/enforce it. As it stands, I just felt completely ripped off.

Ironically, the only journey which I felt we were offered a First Class service was the first one where the conductor apologised profusely. This was possibly the most packed train; why on earth did the other conductors not bother?

tl;dr: no - it's not worth it.

It seems the corridors between Sheffield and Blackpool are in dire need of more units/coaches!

I'd be particularly hacked off if I'd paid a 'premium' fare only for standard paying passengers to occupy 1st class anyway.

I would speculate that 1st class tickets only in 1st class seating would be better enforced (or at least I hope it is!!), since AFAIK there isnt generally too many people standing from Edinburgh to warrant de-classification of 1st. TPE would upsell ticket upgrades before doing that on a long route - if they have any business savvy.

Since I have paid more for standard advances on both virgin and TPE on the same route before, I wouldn't be too disappointed not to get any kind of refreshment perks or if 1st was declassified however, I'd just be glad of a seat with my name on it :)

Incidentally, my seat is in coach D - for this working does that mean its a 6 car set or is it a case of, as explained before, it joins up with coaches A-C at Carlisle?

I haven't been on a 185 for well over a year now, I'll look out for such wear and tear like you described, though if every day is like the one you experienced, I wouldn't be surprised they're looking tatty!

Pumbaa

Established Member
It's six cars from Man Airport - three split (ABC) at Preston for Blackpool/Barrow.Windermere, DEF continue North.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I would speculate that 1st class tickets only in 1st class seating would be better enforced (or at least I hope it is!!), since AFAIK there isnt generally too many people standing from Edinburgh to warrant de-classification of 1st. TPE would upsell ticket upgrades before doing that on a long route - if they have any business savvy.

It is fine between Preston and Edinburgh, but a free for all between Preston and Manchester at certain times of the day. The 1600 Manchester Airport - Edinburgh will normally be declassified between Picadilly and Preston so be quick or if you do this journey your could be standing on your first section if you travel from Piccadilly. Likewise from Preston you are on the train so it does not really matter!

I have always wonder how loaded the rear 3 coaches are on the 6 coach trains, as passengers to Lancaster are quicker on the front 3 I wonder how many take the slower portion for a seat.

premier01

It is fine between Preston and Edinburgh, but a free for all between Preston and Manchester at certain times of the day. The 1600 Manchester Airport - Edinburgh will normally be declassified between Picadilly and Preston so be quick or if you do this journey your could be standing on your first section if you travel from Piccadilly. Likewise from Preston you are on the train so it does not really matter!

I have always wonder how loaded the rear 3 coaches are on the 6 coach trains, as passengers to Lancaster are quicker on the front 3 I wonder how many take the slower portion for a seat.

In summary the Preston to Manchester, York and Sheffield 1st Class is really about getting a seat and a table-staff generally try to enforce 1st Class and where it is declassified the staff will make efforts to serve the 1st Class customers with refreshments.

The advice if travelling from Manchester at peak times is to stand at the front and back of the platform at Piccadilly if travelling in 1st otherwise boarding at Oxford Road will mean standing.

The service overall is good in comparison to other TOC 1st Class offerings-worth it with some 1st Advance but weekend 1st probably not and FOR's not unless on business.

As for the Scotland service unless it's only a small premium it's not worth it-better to travel with Virgin Trains and get decent refreshments and better seats-even worth changing trains at Preston.

Failed Unit

Established Member
That sums it up. The risk of standing at the ends of the platform at Piccadilly is that you don't know which end first class will be. I guess at least you get a seat in standard if you guess wrong.

The pendos are much better going to Glasgow. To be honest the service on a 185 on my experience is better than a voyager. Things may have changed but the last time I used a voyager there was not at seat service. Just walk to the shop and collect until
Preston.

harz99

It's six cars from Man Airport - three split (ABC) at Preston for Blackpool/Barrow.Windermere, DEF continue North.

Pumbaa and all the later posts; unless I am very wrong 158>185's journey is FROM Edinburgh to Manchester so talk of trains splitting at Preston going north or west, or for that matter Virgin from Preston to Glasgow is a bit wide of the mark!

bengolding

Travelled on TPE twice yesterday in First Class for the first time in a while. Firstly from Sheffield to Manchester. Got offered complimentary drinks and biscuit immediately on departure and loadings were quite good - 7 in First including myself. Second trip was from Manchester to Preston on a Blackpool North service. Platform 14 was packed but got a seat in First, which was empty at the time. Also offered drinks immediately on departure by the host who checked my ticket as well. Overall, pleased with the good service and the seating is great too. Glad I wasn't travelling during the peaks though, as I can see how easily Standard can overfill into First.

WillPS

Established Member
Travelled on TPE twice yesterday in First Class for the first time in a while. Firstly from Sheffield to Manchester. Got offered complimentary drinks and biscuit immediately on departure and loadings were quite good - 7 in First including myself. Second trip was from Manchester to Preston on a Blackpool North service. Platform 14 was packed but got a seat in First, which was empty at the time. Also offered drinks immediately on departure by the host who checked my ticket as well. Overall, pleased with the good service and the seating is great too. Glad I wasn't travelling during the peaks though, as I can see how easily Standard can overfill into First.

Problem is - the only time I'd be tempted by First Class would be when Standard is very busy.

If you're going to sell First Class tickets, I think you really need to staff it for every journey running with at least one First Class Host (who I suppose could double up as a catering host when there's a fair distance between stops). To just decomission First Class whenever Standard fills up totally undermines the point - similarly having no staff check tickets/kick out standard passengers is not acceptable.

premier01

That sums it up. The risk of standing at the ends of the platform at Piccadilly is that you don't know which end first class will be. I guess at least you get a seat in standard if you guess wrong.

The pendos are much better going to Glasgow. To be honest the service on a 185 on my experience is better than a voyager. Things may have changed but the last time I used a voyager there was not at seat service. Just walk to the shop and collect until
Preston.

I agree Voyagers don't offer a brilliant travel experience but service on long distances does seem to be better than on 185 from TPE.

As for trying to stand in the correct place on the platform I thought that the 185's were always configured the same and that First was at the back of coach A-although depends on whether it's a 2 train service that splits at Preston-need to investigate that!

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Problem is - the only time I'd be tempted by First Class would be when Standard is very busy.

If you're going to sell First Class tickets, I think you really need to staff it for every journey running with at least one First Class Host (who I suppose could double up as a catering host when there's a fair distance between stops). To just decomission First Class whenever Standard fills up totally undermines the point - similarly having no staff check tickets/kick out standard passengers is not acceptable.

I would agree but experience shows that efforts are made to check tickets etc and it is very unusual for there not to be a service in 1st during the day on the main routes-if not all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.