• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First TransPennine Express - First Class - worth doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillPS

Established Member
I agree Voyagers don't offer a brilliant travel experience but service on long distances does seem to be better than on 185 from TPE.

As for trying to stand in the correct place on the platform I thought that the 185's were always configured the same and that First was at the back of coach A-although depends on whether it's a 2 train service that splits at Preston-need to investigate that!

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I would agree but experience shows that efforts are made to check tickets etc and it is very unusual for there not to be a service in 1st during the day on the main routes-if not all of them.

Cleethorpes - Doncaster/Sheffield, Blackpool North - Preston, The Windermere Services (I think!) are normally without catering.

Every service on Sunday (except Scottish services) - no catering, nor any enforcement of First Class in my experience.

As I say, TPE First Class stinks of operators collecting extra revenue without guaranteeing any kind of First Class service. The only places where First Class seems to be worth doing are the core InterCity routes - and even then probably not CrossCountry.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
I agree Voyagers don't offer a brilliant travel experience but service on long distances does seem to be better than on 185 from TPE.

As for trying to stand in the correct place on the platform I thought that the 185's were always configured the same and that First was at the back of coach A-although depends on whether it's a 2 train service that splits at Preston-need to investigate service in 1st during the day on the main routes-if not all of them.

No a 185 can have first at either end depending on it's diagram. It is not always at the north end.

WillPS

Established Member
And there's never any warning (unlike EMT/XC etc. at Sheffield where it is announced "First Class is towards the rear/front of the train"), just wait for the train to show and dart around the platform.

premier01

And there's never any warning (unlike EMT/XC etc. at Sheffield where it is announced "First Class is towards the rear/front of the train"), just wait for the train to show and dart around the platform.

Yes on those routes I don't think there are staff in 1st-think there is a lot to sort out for TPE however in fairness compared to some other TOC's their 1st offering is reasonable-was on 1st Capital Connect-yes I know it's a First company!-recently on a trip from KGX to Ely-it was about 4 pm and standing room only-went to search out 1st and found that upgrade not an option-sit in 1st without a 1st ticket and pay an upgrade fee of up to £1000!

Not many services warrant that but in all seriousness the offering was pathetic-no catering-pointless half tables-dirty seats and not much difference to standard-and they wanted £14 extra for 50 min journey-bought before boarding of course-much better to stand with the crowds holding on to thin air than that : -)

Eng274

There was an episode of Reggie Perrin recently that depicted Mr Perrin's commute in standard being packed like sardines, but one day he moved to 1st and found it totally empty! Nice to see the writers managed to recreate what must be realistic conditions on such mixed-class commuter services.

WillPS

Established Member
Yes on those routes I don't think there are staff in 1st-think there is a lot to sort out for TPE however in fairness compared to some other TOC's their 1st offering is reasonable-was on 1st Capital Connect-yes I know it's a First company!-recently on a trip from KGX to Ely-it was about 4 pm and standing room only-went to search out 1st and found that upgrade not an option-sit in 1st without a 1st ticket and pay an upgrade fee of up to £1000!

Not many services warrant that but in all seriousness the offering was pathetic-no catering-pointless half tables-dirty seats and not much difference to standard-and they wanted £14 extra for 50 min journey-bought before boarding of course-much better to stand with the crowds holding on to thin air than that : -)

It is pointless. First Class should mean comfort and service - not just a better chance of getting a seat.

FCC are probably the worst of the First Class == Revenue merchants.

route101

Established Member
what about heathrow express ? very expensive for very little time.

WillPS

Established Member
I think the cost isnt the main factor here - nobody is forced in to First Class, but those who do pay for it should be able to expect a service of some kind over and above that in Standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.