• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

freetoview33

Established Member
Someone at BoS is going to have a long night sorting everything for the morning.

What is likely to happen long term to the routes? Obviously some routes will be put out to tender again. But will for instance the 26 be replaced by more 126 trips or can the 126 cope on it's own again ...

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Someone at BoS is going to have a long night sorting everything for the morning.

What is likely to happen long term to the routes? Obviously some routes will be put out to tender again. But will for instance the 26 be replaced by more 126 trips or can the 126 cope on it's own again ...

The 126 has been hourly for many years and coped with that 2 years ago.

They'll need to be retenders but what cash have SCC got?

pompeyfan

Established Member
I'm not sure how true it is or the coincidence etc, but there was talk on FHD that 53065, 53140 and 53206 were off sharpish. That would make a big dent considering HI are struggling to meet PVR as it is. On top of that 53140 probably wouldn't make it to Somerset under its own steam anyway!

Good luck to everyone trying to get to work or school this morning during this testing time.

THarris123

Established Member
About 4 years was last time I saw a decker on 178.

Ps amended earlier post to include 63074 on the move

Think I saw one in 2013.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A Barbie B10 in Wells about 20 mins ago

69445 and 69443 on 376

Out of all days to have 2 Streetdecks not on 376, is it a really good idea?

48270 coming in on 55 into Wells

Last edited:

THarris123

Established Member
62242 just gone out on 55
No notices up in bus station about Webberbus.

Don't know what's happening with 67

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
62242 just gone out on 55
No notices up in bus station about Webberbus.

Don't know what's happening with 67

I imagine they have a raft of "things to do" in terms of just obtaining vehicles and drivers. FSW will be working like hell just to ensure that people actually get a bus. The Western Greyhound collapse that had a certain amount of visibility (Cornwall Council had been informed in advance and drew up contingencies though as soon as the dodgy duo of Smith and Bishop were involved, collapse was almost assured).

This appears to have happened more swiftly despite the fact that it was apparent that it was going to happen. The weakening of the finances was a matter of public record. Moreover, the whole business strategy was doomed, and the introducing new services with new vehicles in very sparsely populated areas that cannot sustain it.

I do feel for the staff left high and dry by this. Also, who knows which smaller firms are creditors as well.

I hope this illustrates, and some now appreciate, that there is no secret in running a service in intensely rural areas. Few passengers, little revenue vs. modern fleet and a route network of infinite possibilities/excessive frequencies is a circle that cannot be squared.

Hopefully, FSW and Somerset Council will be able to sort this out in time, and even in a year or two, the financial stability will enable some sensible, sustainable investment into the BoS fleet.
Doesn't look to be many extra buses in Wells depot from what I can see at the moment.

Just trying to think what we'll see tomorrow:-
There should be a few coaches coming in for the school work
Then some solos for Bildgwater town services, solos for the Porlock and Minehead services.
Then I suspect we could see 69448/57/8 head back to Wells for 375
2 of Bath's solos for 67

But there is an E200 in Wells - so maybe 67 could have an E200?

Really? Seems a bit daft when there are 20 Wells drivers out at other depots, which could be drafted back into Wells to run 375, 67 and a couple of other bits and bobs. Then Bildgwater drivers would have to worry about the town services.

What next? Get the ones back from Leicester as well?

matt_splat

the 178 decker is a regular working in the morning it starts in keynsham on arrival in bath it goes onto the 19s for the day

Private Baxter

Established Member
I have only ever used WB once, and it was about six weeks ago when I used the 38 from Tauntom to Wells. (I didn't want to wait for the 29). The driver on that day was genuinely very good, and I am sympathetic to those who have found themselves without a job this morning, though I hope that in the long run this works in their favour. But it just shows that there simply wasn't room in rural Somerset for two operators, especially when competing on long established routes.

Hopefully things will settle down a bit now, and there will be more realistic number of services covering certain coridoors. The 19 is an old route previously operated by Bridgwater depot but will that be maintained alongside all the others? What of the new 73? Surely that will go now that 375 is back?? And I do wonder about the new 55 as well. Yes it's a new service which needs time to establish itself, but the half hourly 54 Tauntom to Somerton didn't last, so will the half hourly Someton to Wells? Time will tell of course but I imagine 375 will be the preferred option. Just wonder if it's any coincidence this has happened just after BoS brought in all the changes this week. I'm nonetheless shocked with this news.

CD

37 just gone out of Wells. Streetlite with a Webberbus driver.

At lunchtime in Hippy City (Glastonbury) I too saw one of the hired Streetlites on 37 complete with (ex) WB driver.
Will be interesting to see if these Streetlites remain on hire, or if First bring in their own vehicles.

Some of today's observations: (from Yeovil)
69013 1108 54 62191 1035 77
62192 1208 54 62242 1135 77
62238 1308 54 40570 1235 77
66339 1408 54 62245 1335 77
40570 1435 77
48273 1119 55 ex Wells.
Traveline says the 19 Street-Bridgwater via the villages is from today operated by Hatch Green and not First as given on SCC information list.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
At lunchtime in Hippy City (Glastonbury) I too saw one of the hired Streetlites on 37 complete with (ex) WB driver.
Will be interesting to see if these Streetlites remain on hire, or if First bring in their own vehicles.

Some of today's observations: (from Yeovil)
69013 1108 54 62191 1035 77
62192 1208 54 62242 1135 77
62238 1308 54 40570 1235 77
66339 1408 54 62245 1335 77
40570 1435 77
48273 1119 55 ex Wells.
Traveline says the 19 Street-Bridgwater via the villages is from today operated by Hatch Green and not First as given on SCC information list.

Isn't the 19 Hatch Green anyway after they won the tender off WB?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Is it?
SCC list of replacement services seem to think it was WB.
Traveline 19 timetable is from today 13/5/16. :p

I saw that on the list and thought it odd. On Hatch Green's website, their timetable states valid from 13 APRIL 2015!

Wondered if it's a mix up with First actually doing the WB16 from Minehead (as only the school run seemed to be covered by the BoS15).

The only area not covered is the 76; wonder if it will have any sort of replacement. Probably not - the previous 102 was withdrawn and it was another example of the WB madness that saw them replace it commercially at three times the frequency!

THarris123

Established Member
I saw that on the list and thought it odd. On Hatch Green's website, their timetable states valid from 13 APRIL 2015!

Wondered if it's a mix up with First actually doing the WB16 from Minehead (as only the school run seemed to be covered by the BoS15).

The only area not covered is the 76; wonder if it will have any sort of replacement. Probably not - the previous 102 was withdrawn and it was another example of the WB madness that saw them replace it commercially at three times the frequency!

I thought the 76 route was 112.

See RIP Webberbus thread for 19 - Webbers ran 1 journey in each direction, Hatch run the rest.

CD

I thought the 76 route was 112.

See RIP Webberbus thread for 19 - Webbers ran 1 journey in each direction, Hatch run the rest.
WoE 20 is what 112 used to be before BoS extended the 21.

Thanks for gen about 19 I didn't know it was a joint operator route.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
WoE 20 is what 112 used to be before BoS extended the 21.

Thanks for gen about 19 I didn't know it was a joint operator route.

Yep, the 112 was Weston to Highbridge via Brean becoming BoS 21 and now First 20. Webber competed with the 75 over that route

The 102 was Weston to Woolavington and sometimes Bridgwater via Bason Bridge, Burnham and East Brent and was SCC tendered every 3 hours. When funding was pulled and BoS withdrew, Webber decided to run the 76 that way.

The Webberbus 19 was only a Bridgwater college working from Shapwick to BC apparently

Last edited:

THarris123

Established Member
BoS actually updated their website for once :) https://www.firstgroup.com/somerset/news-and-service-updates/news/closure-webberbus

Look at the timetable on Traveline for 19. It's on there.

Looks like 37 is being operated by the Webberbus drivers and Streetlites. No idea of 375 or 67.

I got it wrong earlier in saying that First hadn't updated anything in Wells - the timetables on the back of the shelters have been updated with solely First services. No other notices or updates though.

The Streetlites have also had their legals changed.

I've got the lovely 69438 on 376 at the mo.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
From BoS Twitter/FB

There is a limited "16" replacement timetable between Cannington and Minehead. Passengers to/from Bridgwater need to use services x14/14 there is currently no service to Brent Knoll or East Huntspill.

(About 375) It is under contract to the Council. Until the route is assessed etc by SCC we will only run a limited timetable as per the SCC arrangement. It's not going to be on the scale of the "old" 375 service at this stage. (FJ)