• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

THarris123

Established Member
I thought I heard somewhere that Mr Sherrington is fed up with B7s, so it might be that he's trying to replace the B7s in Weston with Streetlites instead?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Private Baxter

Established Member
Spare for the A1?
Possibly I suppose. That's what 69457/8 often did when they were there, if not it was usually 75/76. I often see a streetlite working as spare on the A1, but obviously a B7RLE is bigger and I suppose more suitable. But those 64 reg streetlites have never really had a role at Hengrove, at least not since eight of the batch moved to LH. I suppose at Weston it can be used to support X2/X3.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Possibly I suppose. That's what 69457/8 often did when they were there, if not it was usually 75/76. I often see a streetlite working as spare on the A1, but obviously a B7RLE is bigger and I suppose more suitable. But those 64 reg streetlites have never really had a role at Hengrove, at least not since eight of the batch moved to LH. I suppose at Weston it can be used to support X2/X3.

I would think it has that mutual benefit of use of the X2/3. Those 64 plates have really just been used on the 24 esp since the PVR increased though obviously elsewhere too

ooo

Does anyone know why 66993 has two doors?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

ryson357

Buses of Somerset have announced a price hike on their Facebook page, with no mention on their website :mad: stating that they are bringing back the 2014 fare levels so they can have "can run a viable business that is stable and invests for the future". The fare hikes are introduced for 4th September & 1 January 2017.

This won't please the public at all, not surprising either tbh...

THarris123

Established Member
Buses of Somerset have announced a price hike on their Facebook page, with no mention on their website :mad: stating that they are bringing back the 2014 fare levels so they can have "can run a viable business that is stable and invests for the future". The fare hikes are introduced for 4th September & 1 January 2017.

This won't please the public at all, not surprising either tbh...

Well it depends on what they are.

If they decide to reintroduce the £7.50 day ticket to allow people to actually travel in WoE as well as BoS, then that'll be good, or even introduce something called a First West of England Plus day ticket, which BoS don't currently sell, that'll be good too.

I've previously had a go at First on their fare systems and BoS is actually a much simpler fare system. For example you can go all the way from Wells to Tiverton for £5, compared to WoE where Bristol to Wells is £5.50. So I expect them to increase most single fares by 50p.

Also a Wells-Street return on WoE is £4 now, compared to £3 on BoS, so they're likely to increase that too.

I do hope they keep singles for multiple services (i.e. Wells to Tiverton), even if they increase it by 50p.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Mr White says that 32083 and 32096 have gone to Bath from Hengrove. That now leaves 32099 as the only 51 reg ALX at Hengrove. Anyone else think that their plan is to replace all the 51 reg and W reg vehicles in WoE now? Apart from 32099, 32940 and 32941, Bath, MH and LH all have the oldest deckers (and the two in Weston, but they'll be disposed of after summer season), of which are all due new deckers this year. I think we'll see some of the 53 reg B7TLs go from LH to Hengrove to replace 32099, 32940/1 and the 53 reg ALX400s to go to Bath to replace the remainder of the old fleet.

So I think by the end of this year, WoE should, apart from bendies 10035-7, have the oldest stock of 2002, which is pretty good.

ooo

-
Mr White says that 32083 and 32096 have gone to Bath from Hengrove. That now leaves 32099 as the only 51 reg ALX at Hengrove. Anyone else think that their plan is to replace all the 51 reg and W reg vehicles in WoE now? Apart from 32099, 32940 and 32941, Bath, MH and LH all have the oldest deckers (and the two in Weston, but they'll be disposed of after summer season), of which are all due new deckers this year. I think we'll see some of the 53 reg B7TLs go from LH to Hengrove to replace 32099, 32940/1 and the 53 reg ALX400s to go to Bath to replace the remainder of the old fleet.

So I think by the end of this year, WoE should, apart from bendies 10035-7, have the oldest stock of 2002, which is pretty good.

How old are the bendies?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
How old are the bendies?

10035-7 are W reg but were upgraded to PSVAR compliance. The remainder are 55 plates.

As for what will go, the W reg ones will be withdrawal as I don't think they're compliant. As for what else, things are seldom so straight forward with cascades (e.g. Leeds have just received new Streetdecks but those appear to be allowing 12 plate B9s to head to Norwich and Yarmouth).

extendedpaul

I travelled on the X10 from Swansea to Cardiff yesterday and expected to have to pay £3 but driver said free with my senior citizen Concessionary Travel Pass.

Is that a recent change ? I thought I read about a £3 / £4.50 return concessionary fare earlier this year including seniors or am I mistaken ?

Volvodart

Established Member
I travelled on the X10 from Swansea to Cardiff yesterday and expected to have to pay £3 but driver said free with my senior citizen Concessionary Travel Pass.

Is that a recent change ? I thought I read about a £3 / £4.50 return concessionary fare earlier this year including seniors or am I mistaken ?

I think it was changed with the service change a couple of months ago.

THarris123

Established Member
10035-7 are W reg but were upgraded to PSVAR compliance. The remainder are 55 plates.

As for what will go, the W reg ones will be withdrawal as I don't think they're compliant. As for what else, things are seldom so straight forward with cascades (e.g Leeds have just received new Streetdecks but those appear to be allowing 12 plate B9s to head to Norwich and Yarmouth).

Thing is that Norwich and Yarmouth have a lot of 51/02 reg deckers that will need replacing soon. I'd rather see 12 plate B9s from the same batch as the Norwich ones head to Norwich to start to replace some of the old stock and then send some 51/02 reg deckers to Yorkshire as a swap. Yorkshire is pretty likely that they will have a big batch of deckers next year which will replace 51/02 reg deckers and surely it would be better to cascade newer deckers out of Yorkshire this year to swap with older stuff which can be directly replaced next year?

Of course I might be wrong about Bristol, but do we honestly think that Freeman and Sherrington want 15 year of deckers laying around Bristol and Bath.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thing is that Norwich and Yarmouth have a lot of 51/02 reg deckers that will need replacing soon. I'd rather see 12 plate B9s from the same batch as the Norwich ones head to Norwich to start to replace some of the old stock and then send some 51/02 reg deckers to Yorkshire as a swap. Yorkshire is pretty likely that they will have a big batch of deckers next year which will replace 51/02 reg deckers and surely it would be better to cascade newer deckers out of Yorkshire this year to swap with older stuff which can be directly replaced next year?

Of course I might be wrong about Bristol, but do we honestly think that Freeman and Sherrington want 15 year of deckers laying around Bristol and Bath.

Yes but the point is that Leeds got new deckers AND the plan didn't mean the next oldest deckers went. Cascades are often more complex than that.

Three of the Tridents have now headed back to HE with 32099 now at Bath

Last edited:

THarris123

Established Member
Yes but the point is that Leeds got new deckers AND the plan didn't mean the next oldest deckers went. Cascades are often more complex than that.

Three of the Tridents have now headed back to HE with 32099 now at Bath

Indeed they have, so it could be a bit more complicated.

But looking at what is in Lawrence Hill and MH, there are 34 W and 51 reg ALX400s. Lawrence Hill is getting 45 new buses (do we know if they are gas buses and have the pipes now been installed at LH?), so that's 11 midlife buses that will be thrown out of LH. The total number of 53 reg B7TLs at LH and MH are 11 (32328-30,32350/1,32355-60). Then in Bath we now have the situation where there are 9 non-DDA deckers left, to be replaced by 8 E400s. I personally think its likely that 32350/1 will head back to Bath (especially as they have FirstBath written above the door still), so it could be likely that the 51 reg deckers in Bath actually stay. 32328-30 may well head back to Hengrove, along with maybe a couple of others to replace the Tridents (32355/6?). Then 32357-60 may head elsewhere, or maybe even to Bath to replace the 51 reg deckers.

Its difficult to tell, but we can now certainly see that some cascades will go into Hengrove and that at the end of this year the oldest bit of kit there will very highly likely be 53 reg (which is pretty good).

I was thinking that we may see the E400s come up from Kernow to Weston, then the 5 Urban E400s there might move back to Hengrove and replace the Tridents? It might also move out some B7s from Weston to Wells to help with an increase in PVR there?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I would like to see the ex-Leicester Enviro 400s return to hengrove. Despite being nearly eight years old they're nice buses!

83G/84D

Established Member
Olympian 34258 & Routemaster 510 CLT in use on internal bus shuttles at RAF Fairford airshow this weekend as well as spare buses from Bath.

Private Baxter

Established Member
I would like to see the ex-Leicester Enviro 400s return to hengrove. Despite being nearly eight years old they're nice buses!
Only four of the twelve went to WM. The other eight are still at HE.
37007 is the latest 55 reg Gemini in the new 17 livery.
Still not certain these are for the 17. It would be a reasonable assumption were it not for new deckers supposedly arriving for that service later this year.

ValleyLines142

Established Member

I know, I'd just like to see them all at Hengrove however with the 20 I think Weston needs to keep them.

Private Baxter said:
Still not certain these are for the 17. It would be a reasonable assumption were it not for new deckers supposedly arriving for that service later this year.

I'd laugh so hard if they were for the 82 or something :lol:

THarris123

Established Member

5 out of the 12 went to WM

33506/8/50/54/71

It's difficult to say if they're for 17. I think it's more likely to be for 3/4. It'll be interesting to see if any of the other 55 reg deckers head over to LH for the same route. Is that also all the Bristol2015 advertised deckers now repainted?

Private Baxter

Established Member
5 out of the 12 went to WM

33506/8/50/54/71

It's difficult to say if they're for 17. I think it's more likely to be for 3/4. It'll be interesting to see if any of the other 55 reg deckers head over to LH for the same route. Is that also all the Bristol2015 advertised deckers now repainted?
It was five was it? My mistake. The other seven do seem to be a bit spare at HE though!

I think the general consensus is that if they're not for 17 then they will be for 3/4, but guess we won't really know until the first one has received route branding. There are other deckers with the Bristol 2015 ads but don't know if they're all 55 plate. Agree that HE might send some of theirs over for whatever route they end up on.

THarris123

Established Member
It was five was it? My mistake. The other seven do seem to be a bit spare at HE though!

I think the general consensus is that if they're not for 17 then they will be for 3/4, but guess we won't really know until the first one has received route branding. There are other deckers with the Bristol 2015 ads but don't know if they're all 55 plate. Agree that HE might send some of theirs over for whatever route they end up on.

Looking at the network map, it shows 3/4 with a more similar colour of purple that has been applied to 37007/11/13, rather than 17 which has same colour as U1 in Bath.

Looked up the Bristol2015 adverts - 37007/11-14/32360. Think that leaves 37012/4 left?

Private Baxter

Established Member
Looking at the network map, it shows 3/4 with a more similar colour of purple that has been applied to 37007/11/13, rather than 17 which has same colour as U1 in Bath.

Looked up the Bristol2015 adverts - 37007/11-14/32360. Think that leaves 37012/4 left?
Personally I wouldn't use the network map colour coding as the definitive choice, rather as a guide. That said, to me the shade of purple they have used is exactly the same as the Bath uni ones. You must have sharper eyes than me!