• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swifty

Established Member
Services 6, 7, 35, 42, 42A, 43, 44 and 45 will no longer stop at Quay Street (Cs) and (Ct), instead stopping at Nelson Street (Hd) outside the New Bridewell development.

will ease Broad Quay but move the problem to Nelson street

No it won't they'll still terminate at Broad Quay, Nelson Street isn't accessible from the centre once the works are finished with buses turning right into Christmas Street.

BBC

No it won't they'll still terminate at Broad Quay, Nelson Street isn't accessible from the centre once the works are finished with buses turning right into Christmas Street.

Im pretty sure it is accessible, the map makes it look that way !

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Bath Chronicle website features an article on changes to local bus fares from April 2nd.
There is a fine shot of 42968 on the 4 and a rather strange backside view of 30870!

I really don't like this charging less from the mobile app thing (I believe the same is the case in Bristol now too). I get why they are trying to get people to use the app rather than use cash, but I can't help think the real answer is something more like Oyster / how contactless cards are accepted in London. Using the app there are the issues of battery, actually being able to use a smartphone, actually having a smartphone that is supported etc. And you still (despite it being the first thing I complained about when they first launched the app) cannot buy individual single tickets using it.

freetoview33

Established Member
I really don't like this charging less from the mobile app thing (I believe the same is the case in Bristol now too). I get why they are trying to get people to use the app rather than use cash, but I can't help think the real answer is something more like Oyster / how contactless cards are accepted in London. Using the app there are the issues of battery, actually being able to use a smartphone, actually having a smartphone that is supported etc. And you still (despite it being the first thing I complained about when they first launched the app) cannot buy individual single tickets using it.

Contactless payment is on the way in Bristol, they are trialling in on the Park & Rides ahead of bigger roll out later in the year! Just a bit odd raising cash fares before that point . . .

Bristol_Buses

If the 6, 7, 42 - 45 are going via Christmas Street, Whats the point in Colston Avenue (Section between Quay Street and Broad Quay??) Unless they will use it to get to Broad Quay via Christmas Street and Quay Street?

swifty

Established Member
If the 6, 7, 42 - 45 are going via Christmas Street, Whats the point in Colston Avenue (Section between Quay Street and Broad Quay??) Unless they will use it to get to Broad Quay via Christmas Street and Quay Street?

For bikes and taxis only from what other drawings show, it's looks to be mainly a one way exit route for the Old Town streets.

ooo

Are First providing any buses for the rail replacement to Weston this weekend?

diffywood

A1 is on Traveline from 30/4/17 now. It shows it running the same route as currently and it shows it running every 9 minutes.

according to the map I Downloaded it will operate inbound bridgewater road - south bristol link rd - highridge green - kings head lane then back on to bridgewater road from april 2nd outbound no change to route dont know if this is correct

Whiteway215

Established Member
Steve White says Tridents 32937/9/42/46/50 have been sold. Does anyone know where any of these might have gone?

THarris123

Established Member
Anyone know if SPS has had an impact on the number of drivers in Taunton/Bridgwater? Do we know how short (if at all) they are in each depot?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Anyone know if SPS has had an impact on the number of drivers in Taunton/Bridgwater? Do we know how short (if at all) they are in each depot?

FSW Official will doubtless be able to confirm but may choose not to.

However, this time last year, Webberbus were still competing fervently. There's a lot fewer buses on the road generally than then so that will have helped so no need to transfer the 75 or 29 to Wells depot ;)

Marcus Fryer

Are there any further details of the route through Cheswick and Lockleaze, e.g. Whether via Long Mead and the western end of Long Down Avenue or Stoke Lane and the eastern end of Long Down Avenue?

Bus stops are being built at Cheswick Square (just west of Danby Street), so it appears the route will be via Long Mead.

The Long Down Avenue/Danby Street junction is currently closed for the roadworks (and has been for several weeks).

Attachments

• IMG_9149.jpg
    IMG_9149.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 33

THarris123

Established Member
FSW Official will doubtless be able to confirm but may choose not to.

However, this time last year, Webberbus were still competing fervently. There's a lot fewer buses on the road generally than then so that will have helped so no need to transfer the 75 or 29 to Wells depot ;)

Very unlikely FSW will confirm - he tends to ignore my posts nowadays.

I wasn't generally thinking about if 75 or 29 could move to Wells depot. It's more a case of wondering if Taunton and Bridgwater are struggling since SPS has taken off and what the impact has been on staff numbers. I know in Wells, for example, one driver started late last year and has now moved down to SPS not long after being at Wells. I'm wondering how many other drivers have done that, mainly in BoS. If staff numbers have been hit significantly, I'm concerned we might see cuts or reductions to services in BoS (very unlikely to be 75, 29 or 77 move to Wells, as Wells are short).

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Very unlikely FSW will confirm - he tends to ignore my posts nowadays.

I wasn't generally thinking about if 75 or 29 could move to Wells depot. It's more a case of wondering if Taunton and Bridgwater are struggling since SPS has taken off and what the impact has been on staff numbers. I know in Wells, for example, one driver started late last year and has now moved down to SPS not long after being at Wells. I'm wondering how many other drivers have done that, mainly in BoS. If staff numbers have been hit significantly, I'm concerned we might see cuts or reductions to services in BoS (very unlikely to be 75, 29 or 77 move to Wells, as Wells are short).

Lots of ifs and maybes there. As I said, there were many more buses on the roads of Somerset this time last year. What was the BoS PVR this time last year? What was Webberbus' requirement?

Also, if things were tough, they could move the 77 to Yeovil and/or the 54.

THarris123

Established Member
Lots of ifs and maybes there. As I said, there were many more buses on the roads of Somerset this time last year. What was the BoS PVR this time last year? What was Webberbus' requirement?

Also, if things were tough, they could move the 77 to Yeovil and/or the 54.

I hate to say but there's still rumours that 77 will move to Yeovil and some of 54. But it depends on how big the impact has been on staff movement to SPS - if they've lost more than something like 20 drivers, then moving 77 and 54 is going to have little impact and the other thing being is there enough demand in Yeovil to gain another 10 or so drivers? Would most of the drivers moving from BoS to SPS also be from Bridgwater too?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I hate to say but there's still rumours that 77 will move to Yeovil and some of 54. But it depends on how big the impact has been on staff movement to SPS - if they've lost more than something like 20 drivers, then moving 77 and 54 is going to have little impact and the other thing being is there enough demand in Yeovil to gain another 10 or so drivers? Would most of the drivers moving from BoS to SPS also be from Bridgwater too?

I don't know what you mean about enough demand in Yeovil? However, IF things were chronic then moving 54/77 work for 7 vehicles out of Taunton would probably allow about 10 drivers duties (I'm guesstimating) to relieve things. As for rumours, well they've been circulating for long enough; we'll see what(if anything) occurs.

As I said before, Webberbus had about 100 drivers. Only a few went to BoS and they have since rationalised their services as well. Also, as you have said yourself, the reduction of Crosville's services will also reduce the overall driver requirement and that may be part of JJPs thoughts, leaving aside issues of trading and TC appointments!