• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Anyone have any idea what the "unforeseen circumstances" were yesterday that caused a lot of disruption according to First's own Twitter feed? (also, it seemed pretty damn poor they just mentioned the service numbers affected, totally ignoring the fact that Bristol and Bath have some service numbers that are duplicated!)

carlberry

Established Member
Anyone have any idea what the "unforeseen circumstances" were yesterday that caused a lot of disruption according to First's own Twitter feed? (also, it seemed pretty damn poor they just mentioned the service numbers affected, totally ignoring the fact that Bristol and Bath have some service numbers that are duplicated!)
Cumberland Road and Coronation Road were closed by the police in the morning rush hour, this then impacted every else in south Bristol (and caused the m2 to revert to the 903's old route).

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Cumberland Road and Coronation Road were closed by the police in the morning rush hour, this then impacted every else in south Bristol (and caused the m2 to revert to the 903's old route).

Would that have been causing issues in the afternoon (tweets were posted at around 4.30pm) in what I assume was Bath (they mentioned the 3/3A, there is no 3A in Bristol) though?

LeylandLynx

As is 33826, I did see another but wasn’t close enough to see if it was 33830.

I saw that one going past when I was waiting at the bus stop. I didn't have that one though, I got lovely 32237.

Funny thing is, there are about ten of those Plaxton Presidents, as well as the ex-Kernow ALX400s, yet they STILL don't seem to have enough vehicles, having to borrow Excel E400s.

Tommy Walters

Interesting to see that first are already using uni branded 33947 on the Bath 10 today. I doubt this will be permanent but does that suggest high demand or lack of vehicles??

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I thought the term didn't start till next week?

There is something sort of pre-cursor event on - saw it signposted from Limpley Stoke.

However, would it not be more likely that there is a massive morning PVR (a bit lower in the evening) and that the board running the 10 is just a U1 decker that works 0700-0900 and then goes onto the 10? Mind you, bit of a waste for a 66 plate e400mmc?

Tommy Walters

There is something sort of pre-cursor event on - saw it signposted from Limpley Stoke.

However, would it not be more likely that there is a massive morning PVR (a bit lower in the evening) and that the board running the 10 is just a U1 decker that works 0700-0900 and then goes onto the 10? Mind you, bit of a waste for a 66 plate e400mmc?

Yeah only about 5 people on it!!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Bit of an open question here...

Not been about too much as have been working away. However, not seeing too many deckers on the Wells to Bath corridor, seeing mainly Eclipses (69437/44/45/57). Also appears that Wells have a few of the 667** Eclipses on loan for the 126. Curious as to the reason why?

DaveHarries

Established Member
From the VOSA Bus Service registrations today, 19th September 2018, come variations for the following routes:

Bristol:
3 Cribbs Causeway - Avonmouth - City Centre
4 Cribbs Causeway - Shirehampton - City Centre
6 Kingswood - Whitehall - City Centre
7 Staple Hill - New Cheltenham - City Centre
8 Temple Meads circular
9 Temple Meads circular
17 Keynsham - Southmead Hospital
70 UWE Frenchay - Bristol Temple Meads
72 UWE Frenchay - Redland - City Centre
349 Keynsham - Bristol
A1 Bristol Airport - Bristol Bus Station
A2 Bristol Airport - Bristol Bus Station

Bath:
3 Bathford - Foxhill
12 Whiteway - Bathampton (includes mention of a Service 11: any ideas?)
179 Bath Bus Station - Midsomer Norton

No idea on most of these although:
- A1 rerouted to operate along the Metrobus route I think.
- A2 is a new route to replace A1 through Bedminster: wonder what will be used for the A2.
- The variation registration for Service 12 in Bath mentions a new Service 11.
- The variation registration for Service 70 makes no mention of the Bower Ashton part of Service 71.

All the above effective 28th October 2018.

Dave

Whiteway215

Established Member
From the VOSA Bus Service registrations today, 19th September 2018, come variations for the following routes:

Bristol:
8 Temple Meads circular
9 Temple Meads circular
349 Keynsham - Bristol

Bath:
3 Bathford - Foxhill

- A2 is a new route to replace A1 through Bedminster: wonder what will be used for the A2.
- The variation registration for Service 70 makes no mention of the Bower Ashton part of Service 71.

Dave
Re the Bath 11. First were only operating the 12 on the existing timetable for a limited period. B&NES Council were re-tendering the service but I understood the Haycombe end was only being served part of the day. Perhaps the 11 is Centre to Haycombe and 12 Centre to Bathampton (or the other way around)

Whiteway215

Established Member
Tommy Walters post on 24 July-looks like your prophesy about the Bath U2 at school times might be coming true.
Ralph Allen School website on 7 September says that pupils travelling from the Southdown/Weston side of Bath are experiencing 'timing and under capacity issues.' The school have asked B&NES Council and First to improve the situation. First responded by stating they would provide an extra bus that afternoon and they were conducting a review of the service.The school is asking parents to raise their concerns with B&NES and First for them to put in a timetable 'fit for purpose.'
This afternoon the school time U2 (15 30 from Bath Uni) was indeed duplicated. 33949 on the service bus and 32286 on the dupe.

This afternoon 53813/19 on 3/3A and another on 179 (surplus of Solos?!) and 32344/32553 on 4.

THarris123

Established Member

Your point about 10 - exactly right. Lower PVR during the day, so decker goes onto 10.

THarris123

Established Member
Re the Bath 11. First were only operating the 12 on the existing timetable for a limited period. B&NES Council were re-tendering the service but I understood the Haycombe end was only being served part of the day. Perhaps the 11 is Centre to Haycombe and 12 Centre to Bathampton (or the other way around)
Most likely the case with 11. I'm rather surprised that First have retained 12, as I thought they didn't want it. I suspect there will be a bit of route change on the Haycombe section to avoid unnecessary duplication.

THarris123

Established Member

Bristol:
8 Temple Meads circular
9 Temple Meads circular
349 Keynsham - Bristol

Bath:
3 Bathford - Foxhill

Dave
179 is most likely a route change of some description - possibly removing Writhlington or maybe reducing timetable to a 1 bus working.

A2 and A1 is exactly what you say above.

70 change is quite possibly something to reduce the pvr or amend the route - Streetdecks are in Bath on long term loan for Park and Ride (whilst E400Hs are off for quite a while being re-engined to diesel power). And since Bristol and Bath are very short of drivers, could make sense to reduce pvr?

349 change might well involve the evening workings

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
This afternoon the school time U2 (15 30 from Bath Uni) was indeed duplicated. 33949 on the service bus and 32286 on the dupe.

This afternoon 53813/19 on 3/3A and another on 179 (surplus of Solos?!) and 32344/32553 on 4.

The 179 has been seeing Solos regularly since that pair of e200s (44905/6) headed to Glasgow in July. Followed 53813 down London Road - looks terrible!

THarris123

Established Member
Bit of an open question here...

Not been about too much as have been working away. However, not seeing too many deckers on the Wells to Bath corridor, seeing mainly Eclipses (69437/44/45/57). Also appears that Wells have a few of the 667** Eclipses on loan for the 126. Curious as to the reason why?
Deckers still can't be used on 173 and Streetdecks are being yet again incredibly unreliable. 3 Streetdecks off each day this week. Been at least 1 B9 and/or B7 on 376 every day for last few weeks.

They've swapped 69439-42 with temporary B7RLEs from Bristol. Since the Streetdecks keep failing as well, they've had to bring in cover, made up of 63078 and B7s (plus 32286 the other day).

66720, 66726, 66728, 66729, 66731, 66942 have all been spotted in Wells recently.

Two B9s were on 376 today - 37772 and 37610.

Also pvr of 172/3/4 has increased by 1, since they have decided to waste more money in using deckers on Bath's - bus and driver goes up to Bath as 173/4 with a B7 single. Then swaps over onto B9 at Bath for 172. Does 172 for 2 hours (whilst B7 is parked on back wall), then comes back and swaps onto a B7 single back to Wells on 173/4. That was supposed to be the theory behind it, but since B9s are more regularly on 376, they don't tend to be found on 172 at the moment. B9s can also be used on 174, so rather than swapping onto a single, they're sometimes just keeping the same B9. Its all rather confusing and complicated.

With 37608 and 37609 being painted into Unibus colours, it might be that something has changed and management have at last cottoned onto the idea that B9s don't work on the corridor* and its a waste of time and money. Although I'm relatively sure that they're determined to carry on with the plan regardless - I suspect 126 will end up with 69437/8, 66720 and 66726 and all other B7RLEs will go to Bristol (some for Yate).

*Before Wazoo gets there to argue my opinion - the only decent B9 down here is 37606 at the moment. 37771 was filmed doing 3mph up from Dunkerton to Peasedown and also doing 7mph another time. 37772 is better, but they just aren't meant for country work. These B9s were designed for town and just can't get up the hills, although they are very welcome on 376.

THarris123

Established Member
Further to Mr Harries post, I've just had a look at VOSA myself.

349 shows route and timetable change.
179 looks like it has pulled out of Writhlington - shows only as Bath-Midsomer Norton - route amendment on it too.
A2 is 30 min frequency, daily service.
11/12 have route variation.
Apart from A1 (which has a route variation), everything else has timetable variation against it.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Further to Mr Harries post, I've just had a look at VOSA myself.

349 shows route and timetable change.
179 looks like it has pulled out of Writhlington - shows only as Bath-Midsomer Norton - route amendment on it too.
A2 is 30 min frequency, daily service.
11/12 have route variation.
Apart from A1 (which has a route variation), everything else has timetable variation against it.
How can you tell what type of amendment is involved?

Dave

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
*Before Wazoo gets there to argue my opinion - the only decent B9 down here is 37606 at the moment. 37771 was filmed doing 3mph up from Dunkerton to Peasedown and also doing 7mph another time. 37772 is better, but they just aren't meant for country work. These B9s were designed for town and just can't get up the hills, although they are very welcome on 376.

Very presumptuous that I'll argue any opinion blindly <( How very dare you? I've not been out on the B9s since they began appearing at Wells and so I've not had chance to ride on them and see what they are like, and so can't argue with what you say in terms of performance.

The B9's in theory should be ok with hill climbing - after all, they've been fine on the X51/X53 in Dorset. Pretty certain that they are standard spec but they've been looked after. Same with others in places like Huddersfield. However, these Wells ones have been flogged to death on Bristol's mean streets for 10 years, working 18 hours a day (or more) for 7 days a week. If they're anything like the ones on the X39, many are knackered.

What's the issue with the 173 not being able to take deckers - tree lopping required round Gurney Slade and Binegar?? I'd assume that once that gets sorted then the extra vehicle can be removed from the cycle?

THarris123

Established Member
Very presumptuous that I'll argue any opinion blindly <( How very dare you? I've not been out on the B9s since they began appearing at Wells and so I've not had chance to ride on them and see what they are like, and so can't argue with what you say in terms of performance.

The B9's in theory should be ok with hill climbing - after all, they've been fine on the X51/X53 in Dorset. Pretty certain that they are standard spec but they've been looked after. Same with others in places like Huddersfield. However, these Wells ones have been flogged to death on Bristol's mean streets for 10 years, working 18 hours a day (or more) for 7 days a week. If they're anything like the ones on the X39, many are knackered.

What's the issue with the 173 not being able to take deckers - tree lopping required round Gurney Slade and Binegar?? I'd assume that once that gets sorted then the extra vehicle can be removed from the cycle?
Sorry about that one. I assume that as you used to be a fan (and probably still are) of the B9, you'd argue the opinion I gave, but that's a perfectly fair comment.

Yes it's tree lopping that's the issue. I believe First are paying for it to be done now. And yes once that's sorted, pvr will drop back to 11.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Sorry about that one. I assume that as you used to be a fan (and probably still are) of the B9, you'd argue the opinion I gave, but that's a perfectly fair comment.

Yes it's tree lopping that's the issue. I believe First are paying for it to be done now. And yes once that's sorted, pvr will drop back to 11.

No worries (and it was faux offence :p). I do still like the B9s - however, appreciate that these are now 9/10 years old and well worked!! If the 172-4 have grown to need greater capacity, then clearly it’s more cost effective to have deckers rather than Eclipses - just gotta have the right deckers!

If the 376 Streetdecks are ailing, wonder if JF will look to move them to another OpCo and perhaps get some of the single door MMCs on there instead. Just a musing