• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

vicbury

To add to the Wazoo, I also believe that B9s are fine for interurban work however many of them are now pretty knackered. The good ones on the X39 go up Brislington Hill as well as anything else. The poor ones max out at between 30-40mph on the Keynsham Bypass and are generally gutless. I seem to remember reading that engine upgrades were coming to the Bath-Wells corridor, as well as to the X39. That may be wishful thinking however? I'll see if I can find the original press release!

To add to experience of Streetdecks on the 376. I took a trip to Wells last week and the Streetdeck that I was on (didn't record the number sorry) faield at North Lodge, seemingly because the clutch would not engage properly to pull away from standstill. The driver switched the engine off to let it cool down and after a few minutes we were able to continue, albeit with a pleasant burning smell!

I have to say that the way in which the gearboxes are programmed on the Streetdecks is all wrong, seemingly with the aim of maximum fuel economy at the expense of all else. Going up hills, in which one would expect the gearbox to hold second, they more often than not attempt to change up from second to third, then struggle in third, then change back down to second, by which point the bus has lost momentum such that it struggles in the lower end of second without enough revs for the turbo to kick in, leading to a tediously slow climb. Has anyone had any experience of a Streetdeck going up to the Lansdown Park & Ride? They seem to be on it most days so must be coping on that.

Coming back from Wells, I had a (59-plate) B7 single decker, which was rather knackered. The gearchange was very jerky and the retarder was making a right racket and seemingly hindering progress when accelerating. Still better on the hills than the Streetdeck though!

Edit:

The full list of routes to have environmental upgrades is:

• 73: Bristol Temple Meads – Cribbs Causeway via Filton
• 78/79: Bristol – Thornbury via Filton & Cribbs Causeway
• 2: Cribbs Causeway – Stockwood via City Centre
• 505: Long Ashton – Southmead Hospital (Park & Ride)
• 506: Bristol – Southmead Hospital
• X46: Bristol – Yate via Winterbourne
• 47: Bristol – Chipping Sodbury via Downend
• 17: Keynsham – Southmead Hospital via Kingswood
• X39: Bath – Bristol
• 3: Foxhill – Bathford via Bath City Centre

Many of these are B9-operated so I would imagine First is doing minimal maintenance to the B9s in the meantime because they are having new engines anyway so it would be wasted expenditure to keep them in peak condition.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I have to say that the way in which the gearboxes are programmed on the Streetdecks is all wrong, seemingly with the aim of maximum fuel economy at the expense of all else. Going up hills, in which one would expect the gearbox to hold second, they more often than not attempt to change up from second to third, then struggle in third, then change back down to second, by which point the bus has lost momentum such that it struggles in the lower end of second without enough revs for the turbo to kick in, leading to a tediously slow climb. Has anyone had any experience of a Streetdeck going up to the Lansdown Park & Ride? They seem to be on it most days so must be coping on that.

Coming back from Wells, I had a (59-plate) B7 single decker, which was rather knackered. The gearchange was very jerky and the retarder was making a right racket and seemingly hindering progress when accelerating. Still better on the hills than the Streetdeck though!

Edit:

The full list of routes to have environmental upgrades is:

• 73: Bristol Temple Meads – Cribbs Causeway via Filton
• 78/79: Bristol – Thornbury via Filton & Cribbs Causeway
• 2: Cribbs Causeway – Stockwood via City Centre
• 505: Long Ashton – Southmead Hospital (Park & Ride)
• 506: Bristol – Southmead Hospital
• X46: Bristol – Yate via Winterbourne
• 47: Bristol – Chipping Sodbury via Downend
• 17: Keynsham – Southmead Hospital via Kingswood
• X39: Bath – Bristol
• 3: Foxhill – Bathford via Bath City Centre

Many of these are B9-operated so I would imagine First is doing minimal maintenance to the B9s in the meantime because they are having new engines anyway so it would be wasted expenditure to keep them in peak condition.

Don't know if they are "making do" with the B9s - just think it's a reflection of a hard life. There are plenty of howling B7s as well though clearly, there are good and bad examples of both. 32637 is clearly a good motor - seemingly forever on the X39 but some of the other examples seem more languid in terms of performance. Likewise, some of the Eclipses are also guilty of being rather tired - they were dropping like flies in the summer and ones like 69253 and 66942 seem to have been more temperamental. Saw three failed in a couple of weeks with one at Hicks Gate, one at Burnett, and another dead on the A37.

Thanks for providing the list of the routes being upgraded though with the T1 now featuring with Euro 6 engines anyway, will these funds be used elsewhere? Also, with the 3/3A getting funding, is that the reason behind swapping Streetlites for Welsh e200s (though that particular exchange seems to have paused for the moment)?

D2007wsm

Established Member
32014 making an unusual excursion this evening. Currently on the college X5 service to Nailsea!

Luk3y

Followed what I think was 33488 going over the second Severn crossing earlier, severely leaning to the left in the wind! It was so strong it made the engine cover fly open half way across the bridge

Tommy Walters

Further to the conversation about the Bath 10 yesterday, 47550 was on it this morning, being swapped to 33950 in the afternoon. I managed to have a quick glance at the running board and I can confirm during uni term time it is indeed formed of a U1 morning peak extra. However under the vehicle type section it says articulated so presumably the intention is to regularly use a bendy on this service???

LeylandLynx

There don't appear to be enough E400s to fully work the 50 anymore. Everyday there always is a Gemini or something else on there. And quite a few B7Ls appearing on the 2A, the only decker sometimes being 32237.

swifty

Established Member
I had a ride on 30877 on the X39 earlier. For an old girl she’s in good nick inside and although a tad sluggish performed quite well, they really don’t feel their age!

henairs

Very presumptuous that I'll argue any opinion blindly <( How very dare you? I've not been out on the B9s since they began appearing at Wells and so I've not had chance to ride on them and see what they are like, and so can't argue with what you say in terms of performance.

The B9's in theory should be ok with hill climbing - after all, they've been fine on the X51/X53 in Dorset. Pretty certain that they are standard spec but they've been looked after. Same with others in places like Huddersfield. However, these Wells ones have been flogged to death on Bristol's mean streets for 10 years, working 18 hours a day (or more) for 7 days a week. If they're anything like the ones on the X39, many are knackered.

What's the issue with the 173 not being able to take deckers - tree lopping required round Gurney Slade and Binegar?? I'd assume that once that gets sorted then the extra vehicle can be removed from the cycle?

Hi Wazoo,
On Sat 1st September I was at Wells at 1630 roughly when 37606 arrived on a 173 working from Bath so at least that ones worked along the route.
Cheers, Mike R

spw24

so thats why I saw 30877 heading across the Centre earlier looked like it was going back empty.

Whiteway215

Established Member
I had a ride on 30877 on the X39 earlier. For an old girl she’s in good nick inside and although a tad sluggish performed quite well, they really don’t feel their age!
That's the first report I've heard of any of the ex Kernows in service. We were discussing how long before one would get on the X39 and now it's a reality!

Whiteway215

Established Member
The way the U2's been performing this week, they may need them. Several trips either cancelled or severely delayed today due to roadworks in Combe Down!!
Of the several U2 workings I've seen over the past few days the minimum lateness has been about 35 minutes. This evening I asked one of the men on the roadworks how long it was going on. He told me the they should be completed by 5AM Friday morning tomorrow. We (and the U2) live in hope!

Tommy Walters

Of the several U2 workings I've seen over the past few days the minimum lateness has been about 35 minutes. This evening I asked one of the men on the roadworks how long it was going on. He told me the they should be completed by 5AM Friday morning tomorrow. We (and the U2) live in hope!
Even without the roadworks the holiday/Saturday timetable doesn't allow much leeway. Only a 56 minute round trip, 4 minute break and onto the next one!!

Whiteway215

Established Member
Another bendi delivered by Thorntons to Weston Island in the last day or so. Fleet no Unknown.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

To be fair, I remember when the W-CWR's arrived and they weren't bad old Hectors and managed to get on the P&Rs and the X39. Showing their age most certainly, and very bleak inside with faded seats. However, they belied their age and I do think the ALX400 are excellent machines.

freetoview33

Established Member
Further to the conversation about the Bath 10 yesterday, 47550 was on it this morning, being swapped to 33950 in the afternoon. I managed to have a quick glance at the running board and I can confirm during uni term time it is indeed formed of a U1 morning peak extra. However under the vehicle type section it says articulated so presumably the intention is to regularly use a bendy on this service???
That would make sense!

swifty

Established Member
Former(?) Solent Trident 33182 is working the Computershare 22 this evening.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Hmm.... that updated route map riddled by errors you say?
the

Bit odd terminating it short instead of the front yard of Bower Ashton campus whilst looking like the X3/X4 now enter?

Former(?) Solent Trident 33182 is working the Computershare 22 this evening.

Hmmm.....more variety. Short term loan? Fleet looking very stretched - wonder how many are away for repaint?

D2007wsm

Established Member
the

Bit odd terminating it short instead of the front yard of Bower Ashton campus whilst looking like the X3/X4 now enter?

Hmmm.....more variety. Short term loan? Fleet looking very stretched - wonder how many are away for repaint?
The X3 & X4 don't go into Bower Ashton, they haven't done so for quite a while. The new map is incorrect, like it does not show the Brislington P&R separate on the key, it is the same as that for the Portway.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Bath Chronicle website (Somerset Live) has an article having a right go at the inadequacy of the Bath U2 to provide satisfactory transport for children at Ralph Allen School following withdrawal of 20A/C.
Although using emotive language (children left behind in tears etc) in my opinion the article gives a very factual account of events. It's even got a shot of repaired 32007 outside the school!

LeylandLynx

33182 (LR02 LZB) has been spotted at Hengrove, making it the eleventh Plaxton President to arrive. However, this one is a Trident.