• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

goldisgood

I've found the few Streetlites I travelled on in Bristol fine. The seats aren't great, and the emergency exit door was very rattly, but if the emergency exit door could be fixed they would be fine.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Private Baxter

Established Member
Hello all

With a bit of holiday to use up (carried a day or two over and need to use by end of Jan) and a day m-ticket similarly on my phone for months, yesterday seemed a good day to get out and about. It had been a little while since I'd had a trip out on FWoE so here are my observations etc. I didn't go to south/west so I don't know if I'll offend farwest's sensibilities but here we go...

I began by driving to Odd Down P&R and leaving the car there. Got there about 0650 so kept warm and watched one of the two e400Hs still working (39133) arrive but I was waiting for the 42. This was 53852, one of the new Solos and my first chance to experience these. Have to say it was a bit cold though the seats were quite nice. The very light laminates inside though did make me wonder how much they'll show the dirt? However, it's welcome minibus investment and the 42 did carry quite a few workers for the RUH and did pick up quite a number from around Twerton/Southdown. I still suspect it may not last though and that the 4 will eventually take that role of linking Odd Down with the RUH.

I got off at Windsor Bridge and almost immediately caught the X39 for Bristol. This was regular B9 37758 and it was disappointing. I know I keep labouring the point but that a major trunk route is surviving on ten year old B9s is almost beyond belief. Not only that but this one was freezing inside, the NSAs didn't work, had all the charm of a dentists waiting room, and didn't sound particularly healthy (I suspect because of being hammered up and down the A4). It was also almost empty though it did get a few in Saltford and then really did fill up through Brislington. This is the issue with the X39 - people often cite that it's not an express but it does perform two roles being an end to end route but also a local service. My plan was to get off at Temple Meads and get the 91 but the lack of bus priority past Arnos Vale did for that.... I know there's a load of houses converted into flats along there but it really should have an extension of the bus lane! I saw the 91 disappear past at Three Lamps but I exited anyway at TM for a toilet stop.

However, this did mean I accidentally had the opportunity to catch the 22 - the Computershare works bus service open to the general public. This was a much warmer, busier and sprightlier B9 in 37593. Not done this route before so a bit interesting and clearly it is very popular - a bit of a throwback when there were large employers that people would catch the bus to/from. I exited at Parson Street to get my first taste of the m1, with CT Plus 2915. Now I had two trips on the same machine but suffice to say that it suffered from the usual creaking sounds of most e400s. Also, the seats are nice enough but I'd venture that the Stagecoach Gold ones are more luxurious. However, I decided to get off at Novers Hill, the plan being to get another one North but instead, the next bus was the new 96, operated by ex Glasgow B7 32549. These vehicles have been decried as being in poor condition (and may be for a driver) but the condition of this one and the others I've experienced have been pretty tidy inside and it certainly squeaked less that the e400 I'd just vacated. We got to Hengrove Park and I waited for the next m1 which was a reunion with 2915 though clearly timekeeping was a problem. A radio call saw the instruction to miss out most of Hengrove and Inns Court, going straight down Hartcliffe Way to Parson Street. We then carved our way through Bemmie and some early observations on the m1... The main stops in Bemmie had metrobus helpers to assist passengers which is a sensible measure - good move. However, the problem is that through there, there is no bus priority so our m1 was stuck in the same traffic as the 90 ahead as we ground our way out to Redcliffe Hill. Clearly, Bristol can't build its way out of traffic congestion so public transport must be the way forward but I don't know if the city will ever be brave enough to do what it has to do without upsetting the car lobby/Bristol Post.

At the Centre, I got off and hopped onto a waiting m3. This was the recently reliveried 36821, used to provide additional capacity on this service, reflecting the growth in loadings. This doesn't have the metrobus moquette but very impressively, it had a full set of route branding and metrobus vinyls internally. Loadings were modest with most for UWE as we followed my earlier steed 2915 on the m1. We arrived at Emersons and I walked up to grab a Costa before getting the next 48 (it arrived with another 48 and a 49 all within a minute) to Downend. Now, I don't think I've ever got a 48 from Emersons as the area round Leap Valley was very unfamiliar. Standard e400 33794 displayed all the issues of build quality as we went over speed bump after speed bump, and I was happy to exit at Downend. The plan was to catch the 5 - one of my favourite Bristol routes and possibly a rare Dart experience. Instead, it was recently reallocated Streetlite 47571. Now, this is the thing. The driver was a lady (Louise?) who I had chance to talk to at Downend, allowing me to keep warm as she nipped to the ladies, and she then drove that bus expertly. People have a thing about Streetlites but this is the ideal type of route for them, they need to be set up correctly, and they need to be driven and not merely aimed! In terms of her demeanour with passengers and her technical skill, she was excellent. We made our way through Oldbury Court and Fishponds (being passed by a couple of Darts) and then down into the inner city. I got off outside Debenhams in time to miss the m2 but that gave me time to nip to the sandwich shop to have a very disappointing bacon baguette - if you're tempted, don't!

Round into Bond Street and my final metrobus which was the m2 and 36809. At that time of day, loadings were again light and we headed off along Spike Island and then onto the busway. As has been said elsewhere by better people than me, it's a real curate's egg. The bus lane near Spike Island is patchy and also has daytime parking on it. The bits of guided busway seem superfluous with the except of Ashton Avenue bridge and the flyover seems overly engineered. All very strange. We arrived at the P&R and 36810 was already waiting - this seems to be a common experience in that daytime times and workings mean it is very slack at that end. I happened to get another chatty driver and he was very complimentary about the Scanias, especially in respect to the brakes when people pull out in front of him.

However, I couldn't hang around as I walked briskly to Brookgate stop near the SBR (can you think of a more obscure place to get a bus?) to catch the U2. Did cross my mind as to whether it would stop there (despite the times on the stop) but 37609 duly appeared. Now, a couple more observations on this. It doesn't serve the P&R despite it going through it. I know there are covenants but, to my mind, it is similar to the 505 so should it not also call in? Perhaps that's the point - making sure it doesn't take that trade? Also, 37609 has also been retrimmed with the same blue/green moquette as the Portway/Briz deckers and in the new Solos. Just my opinion but it looks like the sort of stuff from a 1980s tube train, and looks especially bad with purple seat backs and lilac laminates. Can only assume they got a job lot and/or whoever specified that is colourblind. However, it was a belting trip out on a very lightly loaded B9 as we bounced along to Lower Langford, with only one other passenger for company. I got off at the Vet College but then had the walk back to the village (I had time to kill) before my only cash fare for the A5. It duly arrived and I got Carmel Solo YJ16DFE to Sandford.

It was at this point that I had a choice to make as to going via Weston or Wells on the 126. In hindsight, wish I'd done Weston but instead went for the 126 to Wells, though sadly the diversion at Draycott has now ended so it was the standard route. It was now mid afternoon and we had a very tidy Eclipse 66942 - quite tidy considering it's still in Barbie and not had any internal work done. Clearly it is on loan from Bath depot to help Wells and it went very well with hardly a rattle on it. Passenger figures thinned out by Cheddar, explaining why it is only an hourly service. At Wells, I spied the pride of the BoS fleet, with a 15 plate e200 on the Bridgwater service. I nipped off for a decent meal, and returned after a jacket spud with veg thai red curry to get my bus back to Bath. It was a decker - my first foray on the 174 with a B9 and it was 37771. Now sadly, it doesn't have the internal branding - it just had two ads for FAST stroke detection which was rather disappointing. However, I'm reckoning that if the other Eclipses on that corridor are replaced by Geminis, then ALL the deckers will be so treated. It also has the green/blue seating - I was feeling bilious with it. That said, 37771 was a real joy to travel on, much nicer than 37758 earlier that day from the same batch. The 174 is a lovely route anyway but even better on a decker though it did seem incongruous as we went through Dinder.

I got off at Odd Down (near the Red Lion) as I had a plan to catch the U2 to UoB but guess what, it never appeared. However, I just decided that I'd had a lovely day, and seen the interior of enough buses and the light was going so I turned and walked back to the P&R. Just got there and Eclipse 69438 went past - absolutely heaving so clearly more deckers are needed on that corridor. I think there's still more growth to be had on there - the promo stuff has gone from Wells bus station (the signage is also out of date) and new bus flags (a la Discover) might also help but to be fair to First, they've done a great job in developing that corridor. I trust that the X39 will also benefit similarly and I'm sure it's on the list - in JF we trust.

Sorry for waffling and hope it was of interest.
Glad you had a good day and made the most of it.
I'm looking forward to trying the solos in Bath at some point. Can't say when as I'm rarely in Bath these days, might wait till I see one up at Bristol Parkway on an evening 19 perhaps, as does happen. I agree with you about the X39 and the need for newer buses. This is one of their absolute flagship routes but it seems as though it could do with a bit of love and affection, as other, less lucrative routes have had recently. I know the buses are supposedly getting new engines but it doesn't make up for the fact that this route is deserving of more up to date vehicles. That said I do like the buses, and run well, but think it might just be time to move them on.

You mention you're experience on the 48 and how you were glad to get off, so I'm assuming that you're not a fan of those e400s. Personally I hate them. It is not often that I am quite so negative about buses (or anything for that matter), but using those buses, as I often do, is arduous. I don't like the stop/start of it all (very off putting), they don't give the best ride imo, and I would sooner be on an older B7/B9 any day.

As I mentioned yesterday, streetlites do seem to have moved on to the 5, and I agree, perfect for the route. According to Steve White, five have transferred from Hengrove, compared to six darts, so perhaps another will move as well. If that is indeed the plan, wonder what will happen with the darts. That brings all single deck routes in Bristol streetlite operated, with the exception of the 72 which is B7RLE. Despite a decker appearing on the 96 yesterday, I believe that is otherwise a streetlite route, unless someone can confirm otherwise.

Moving on to the moquette of some of the refurbished B9s, I must say I quite like it! An unusual choice admittedly, but still quite nice. It's the same on the 172/3/4 deckers. Glad to hear 66942 is doing well. That seems to have been in Wells for ages, so could be a more long term loan. Don't know why they are so short at the moment though. You did quite well to get a decker on the 174. The chances are not in your favour! Especially as they tend to end up on the 376 more often than not! Still haven't tried either of the Bath routes on a decker, though really ought to. I've probably travelled on the 173 more times than any other route, although 376 is likely not far behind. And yes I imagine going through Dinder on one is quite surreal!

Felling quite inspired now to go out and try a few routes, quite a few to choose from!
I hope you're both suitably inspired and will let us know where you go.

Another little observation from yesterday was the age and condition of the First Bristol fleet, and the quite old vehicles used on core services; the 75 was predominantly old B7TLs from 2002 to 2005. There has been investment over the last couple of years but when you look at it, it's been for specific routes that are often part of a package with an age stipulation e.g. the Airport Flyer, the two P&Rs, the U1 Unibus. There have been the 24 Scania deckers but arguably most of those are for the m2 (a repackaged 903 to be honest) and m3 (a beefed up mashup of the UWE express and the X48) though, to be fair, the others are to upgrade the T1 and Y1. However, it's probably the Fishponds Road fleet from late 2016 that were the last new vehicles for the core city routes. Don't know when the First gas buses are due but can hope they're coming for the 42-45 routes and will allow some of the older members to be removed from the fleet.
I think you're right, most of the new buses in the last year or so were for special, or contract services, so other than the solos in Bath, we've not seen anything for normal routes for about two years, though I was delighted to see the spare e400s put to use on the enhanced Thornbury and Yate services. MH depot is all of a sudden a lot more modern than it used to be!
Agree hope we'll see something new for the 42-5 this year. They were expecting new buses in 2015, but the plan changed to put them on the 48&49, before changing again to the 1&2, where they now work. But I think it's their turn!

BBC

I’m happy some of you hate to ride on the e400s, but try driving them..god awful machines.

carlberry

Established Member
I’m happy some of you hate to ride on the e400s, but try driving them..god awful machines.
Is there anything specifically? I've noticed drivers trying to fool the stop-start technology so that they know they've got the engine going before they need it. I imagine it's quite unnerving trying to pull out into fast moving traffic having to hope that the engine restarts when you need it.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Glad you had a good day and made the most of it.
I'm looking forward to trying the solos in Bath at some point. Can't say when as I'm rarely in Bath these days, might wait till I see one up at Bristol Parkway on an evening 19 perhaps, as does happen. I agree with you about the X39 and the need for newer buses. This is one of their absolute flagship routes but it seems as though it could do with a bit of love and affection, as other, less lucrative routes have had recently. I know the buses are supposedly getting new engines but it doesn't make up for the fact that this route is deserving of more up to date vehicles. That said I do like the buses, and run well, but think it might just be time to move them on.

You mention you're experience on the 48 and how you were glad to get off, so I'm assuming that you're not a fan of those e400s. Personally I hate them. It is not often that I am quite so negative about buses (or anything for that matter), but using those buses, as I often do, is arduous. I don't like the stop/start of it all (very off putting), they don't give the best ride imo, and I would sooner be on an older B7/B9 any day.

As I mentioned yesterday, streetlites do seem to have moved on to the 5, and I agree, perfect for the route. According to Steve White, five have transferred from Hengrove, compared to six darts, so perhaps another will move as well. If that is indeed the plan, wonder what will happen with the darts. That brings all single deck routes in Bristol streetlite operated, with the exception of the 72 which is B7RLE. Despite a decker appearing on the 96 yesterday, I believe that is otherwise a streetlite route, unless someone can confirm otherwise.

Moving on to the moquette of some of the refurbished B9s, I must say I quite like it! An unusual choice admittedly, but still quite nice. It's the same on the 172/3/4 deckers. Glad to hear 66942 is doing well. That seems to have been in Wells for ages, so could be a more long term loan. Don't know why they are so short at the moment though. You did quite well to get a decker on the 174. The chances are not in your favour! Especially as they tend to end up on the 376 more often than not! Still haven't tried either of the Bath routes on a decker, though really ought to. I've probably travelled on the 173 more times than any other route, although 376 is likely not far behind. And yes I imagine going through Dinder on one is quite surreal!

Felling quite inspired now to go out and try a few routes, quite a few to choose from!

I think you're right, most of the new buses in the last year or so were for special, or contract services, so other than the solos in Bath, we've not seen anything for normal routes for about two years, though I was delighted to see the spare e400s put to use on the enhanced Thornbury and Yate services. MH depot is all of a sudden a lot more modern than it used to be!
Agree hope we'll see something new for the 42-5 this year. They were expecting new buses in 2015, but the plan changed to put them on the 48&49, before changing again to the 1&2, where they now work. But I think it's their turn!
I don’t go on the E400MMCs that often, but I’m find them fine. It is however unnerving with the Start/Stop as I think they have cut out!

I’m far more used to travelling on the older E400s on the X1 and X2 and depending on the interior spec find them fine. They have a decent amount of headroom upstairs if you are tall and generally have ample legroom, whereas I find on the Gemini’s there isn’t enough. The seats are generally OK apart from the 335**s which are packed in a bit more and the 334**s are a bit grubby but the most comfortable of the lot.

The only downside I find on a lot of them particularly the 335** ex London/Leicester/Hengrove examples is the heating is atrocious often none at all. But some of the other 334** ex Plymouth examples are prone to this as are the newer 336** & 337** wherever they came from and the 338** native Weston examples. 33666 has no heat at all and on a cold day I try to avoid it.

I believe it was proposed for a new fleet of E400MMCs for the X1/X2/X3/X4 as all of these are busy services and suffer from a proper mismatch of vehicles. However this was declined. The X1/X2 has not had a complete brand new fleet to cover the entire service for many years. Probabably being the 4 S reg Volvo Olympians when it was a stand alone 30 minute service. Since then it has a mixture of vehicles with 3 B7 Gemini’s one year, then 3 B9 Gemini’s a couple of years later and suplimented by extras from Bristol. For a while they had a standard fleet when the 335**s arrived, but these were such suplimented by the 338**s in 2013 and then other examples arriving to run the majority of the Excel network and are used interchangeably.

However the X6/X7/X9 is the mainstay of the 335**s as they are slightly shorter and easier to take around West Wick. With the 334**/336**/337**/338** concentrated on the X1/X2/X3/X4. The X5 gets whatever is available to supliment the 2 B7RLEs.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Moving on to the moquette of some of the refurbished B9s, I must say I quite like it! An unusual choice admittedly, but still quite nice. It's the same on the 172/3/4 deckers.
Appreciate it's personal choice but I'm not a fan. They look better in the new Solos where there isn't the clash of blue/green with purple/lilac but accept it is subjective.
streetlites do seem to have moved on to the 5, and I agree, perfect for the route. According to Steve White, five have transferred from Hengrove, compared to six darts, so perhaps another will move as well. If that is indeed the plan, wonder what will happen with the darts. That brings all single deck routes in Bristol streetlite operated, with the exception of the 72 which is B7RLE. Despite a decker appearing on the 96 yesterday, I believe that is otherwise a streetlite route, unless someone can confirm otherwise.
I have to say I was surprised to see a decker on the 96; I'd assumed it would be Streetlites. 5 x Streetlites will be sufficient to cover the 5 and the 35.

I don't know if hate is quite the word but these do creak and squeak like no-ones business, and that's not helped by the speedhumps around Emersons. I prefer moquette to eLeather as well but that's being a bit churlish to complain about the newest deckers on "standard" city routes.

I believe it was proposed for a new fleet of E400MMCs for the X1/X2/X3/X4 as all of these are busy services and suffer from a proper mismatch of vehicles. However this was declined. The X1/X2 has not had a complete brand new fleet to cover the entire service for many years.
Welcome back - you've been a little quiet recently. I know you prefer the ex Plymouth machines (and with good reason - they are the most comfortable) and I fully agree with you on the issue of heating too. Those ex Plymouth machines are now 13 years old and showing it a little, good servants though they've been. The problem is, of course, that the PVR for the X1/X2 is now so much higher with the interworking.

In idle thoughts, I've wondered how they might update those routes without getting new fleet. I wondered if the 50 (now 91/92) fleet might have been moved with the service changes etc but clearly not. Similarly, could the Bath hybrids be repowered and moved across though I think they're more likely to end up back in Bath. Or perhaps something like the Kings Lynn ones getting moved down though I'm sure that FEC would prefer to retain them. As always, I'm sure there's a plan somewhere in Lawrence Hill being worked on. Of course, plans can always change and I wouldn't be surprised if they've changed a few times with the removal of Crosville and Wessex and the need for additional Unibus resource in Bath.

Hopefully, they'll be a slew of new deckers this year (has anyone got any confirmation?) and that can help clear out some of the older fleet, though appreciate that with First cascades, there's equally the chance of newer or mid life fleet moving.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Steve White has reported purple 32006 transferred BH to WM. Just to satisfy my curiosity could I ask D2007wsm if he is aware if it's used for a specific duty at Weston? Thanks.

BBC

Is there anything specifically? I've noticed drivers trying to fool the stop-start technology so that they know they've got the engine going before they need it. I imagine it's quite unnerving trying to pull out into fast moving traffic having to hope that the engine restarts when you need it.

The secondary break on the doors is escpially annoying, we have to wait for the doors to close then tap the break to unlock a break before we can take the hand break off and pull away. It adds 5-10 seconds on to every stop. Plus the drivers seats are like sitting on concrete, lots of drivers are complaining about back pains after driving them. I could go on but I won’t.

Private Baxter

Established Member
I don’t go on the E400MMCs that often, but I’m find them fine. It is however unnerving with the Start/Stop as I think they have cut out!

I’m far more used to travelling on the older E400s on the X1 and X2 and depending on the interior spec find them fine. They have a decent amount of headroom upstairs if you are tall and generally have ample legroom, whereas I find on the Gemini’s there isn’t enough. The seats are generally OK apart from the 335**s which are packed in a bit more and the 334**s are a bit grubby but the most comfortable of the lot.

The only downside I find on a lot of them particularly the 335** ex London/Leicester/Hengrove examples is the heating is atrocious often none at all. But some of the other 334** ex Plymouth examples are prone to this as are the newer 336** & 337** wherever they came from and the 338** native Weston examples. 33666 has no heat at all and on a cold day I try to avoid it.

I believe it was proposed for a new fleet of E400MMCs for the X1/X2/X3/X4 as all of these are busy services and suffer from a proper mismatch of vehicles. However this was declined. The X1/X2 has not had a complete brand new fleet to cover the entire service for many years. Probabably being the 4 S reg Volvo Olympians when it was a stand alone 30 minute service. Since then it has a mixture of vehicles with 3 B7 Gemini’s one year, then 3 B9 Gemini’s a couple of years later and suplimented by extras from Bristol. For a while they had a standard fleet when the 335**s arrived, but these were such suplimented by the 338**s in 2013 and then other examples arriving to run the majority of the Excel network and are used interchangeably.

However the X6/X7/X9 is the mainstay of the 335**s as they are slightly shorter and easier to take around West Wick. With the 334**/336**/337**/338** concentrated on the X1/X2/X3/X4. The X5 gets whatever is available to supliment the 2 B7RLEs.
Good to know there were proposals at one point for new vehicles on the X1-4 network. The 63 reg ones were originally delivered new for the X1, though that was before the the other three routes existed in their current form, and the Portishead routes were still with MH in the hands of streetlites.
Forgot there were two B7RLEs back at Weston, though tbh I have now lost track of what is where. Remind me, is it 66934/6?
Appreciate it's personal choice but I'm not a fan. They look better in the new Solos where there isn't the clash of blue/green with purple/lilac but accept it is subjective.
I have to say I was surprised to see a decker on the 96; I'd assumed it would be Streetlites. 5 x Streetlites will be sufficient to cover the 5 and the 35.
Agree that new moquette doesn't always go well with existing seats backs, but I guess little can be done about that. I generally prefer moquette to e-leather, and seems to be making a comeback on buses too.
Forgot about the 35. I take it this is still being worked by darts, though haven't been out and about lately to really notice.

D2007wsm

Established Member
d2007 will know better but it's been shown on the usual 1/20 workings
I haven’t seen it, but I would’ve thought it would either be used on the 1 or the 20, possibly the 7 if they were that short of Gemini’s.

I have never seen one appear on an Excel service other than the evening X5 Weston College journey to Nailsea. If they’re short of an E400, a Streetlite will be used on certain cards rather than sending one of these to Bristol. The only time I’ve seen an ALX400 appear on an X1 was last Easter when a blue Bath Spa Uni branded example was loaned to Weston for the Temple Meads blockade and it confused the life out of the customers!

D2007wsm

Established Member
Good to know there were proposals at one point for new vehicles on the X1-4 network. The 63 reg ones were originally delivered new for the X1, though that was before the the other three routes existed in their current form, and the Portishead routes were still with MH in the hands of streetlites.
Forgot there were two B7RLEs back at Weston, though tbh I have now lost track of what is where. Remind me, is it 66934/6?

Agree that new moquette doesn't always go well with existing seats backs, but I guess little can be done about that. I generally prefer moquette to e-leather, and seems to be making a comeback on buses too.
Forgoti about the 35. I take it this is still being worked by darts, though haven't been out and about lately to really notice.
That was indeed the last time Weston had new vehicles delivered other than the 2 E200MMCs for the A3. Although it was the old X1 and 353/W1, there was still not enough to cover the route, these being supplemented by the 334**s.

It was last year the proposal for new E400MMCs was made for the X1-X4. I believe the request was for round about 18!

freetoview33

Established Member

Forgot about the 35. I take it this is still being worked by darts, though haven't been out and about lately to really notice.
Last time I saw the 35 last week it was a streetlite of some kind.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
How many buses in the FWE fleet are still in Barbie and will they ever be repainted?
There are...

4 x B7TL - 32283-5/91
5 x Dart - 42902-4/9/25
3 x e200 - 44913-5
10 x Solo - 53809/11-19
13 x Eclipse- 66723-5/28/29/31/32, 66934/37-9/42, 69253

My guess (and it is just that) is that the Darts and most Solos will get painted but the rest will move to other OpCos. I’ve seen comment elsewhere that the Mint Darts might head to Weston and gain Badgerline livery with the Barbie Darts moving on but that’s speculation AFAIK.

Note most of those vehicles are/were Bath machines - such was the reticence to repaint much there! Of course, some vehicles like 66727 and 65724 that received two repaints in quite quick time.

I think many might have moved on during 2018 but for the Crosville and Wessex exits. Had 66942 on Monday and it’s still quite tidy but saw 66728/31 last week and they’re hanging!

Private Baxter

Established Member
How many buses in the FWE fleet are still in Barbie and will they ever be repainted?
Good question, and thanks GW for providing the answer. That would be 35 then.
I do find it a little disappointing that some just seem to remain forever in barbie, especially after Weston was erradicated of it! I can't really speculate on what will leave (if anything) but 66723&4 might be candidates for repaint should Bristol decide to resume their route branding starting with route 72. Who knows.
Agree with GW, I had a short trip on 66728 recently on 173 and it is, as you say, hanging. I always found it a missed opportunity that these buses didn't receive treatment during many of the rebrand programmes, whereas buses like 66720&7 were chosen instead, despite having had recent repaints.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Thanks for the Barbie list GW. Recently I've travelled on 66725/9 and one of 66731 or 732 on the 19A Keyner Vegas to Bath. Although they look a right state they still go like a bat out of hell especially on the dual carriageway from The Globe to Newbridge.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thanks for the Barbie list GW. Recently I've travelled on 66725/9 and one of 66731 or 732 on the 19A Keyner Vegas to Bath. Although they look a right state they still go like a bat out of hell especially on the dual carriageway from The Globe to Newbridge.
66732 was a dog but think it got 66721’s engine after its demise.

Most of the Eclipses are good machines. The only iffy one I can recall was 69253 which is a obviously a bit newer.

Private Baxter

Established Member
I don't deny that they are still brilliant machines, just a shame that some haven't been looked after as well. I reckon you were on 66731 which is a bit of a scruff. 66732 is actually pretty tidy, inside and out.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I don't deny that they are still brilliant machines, just a shame that some haven't been looked after as well. I reckon you were on 66731 which is a bit of a scruff. 66732 is actually pretty tidy, inside and out.

I think that's the point. We all know they have been well built but that they haven't had the benefit of any form of refurbishment. I think it was 66731 that I had early last year and it was pretty tatty inside though went well on the 177. I was on 66942 and recall recent (in the last 18 months) trips on 66937/38/39 as well and they were pretty good too for buses of a certain age, just that the seating was looking a bit threadbare.

The Barbie Solos in Bath have certainly had a hard life and I was expecting them to move on (save 53820 and perhaps another one or two) when the new Solos arrived. The award of the 12/20 after Wessex's exit may have meant their retention when they may have gone.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Good question, and thanks GW for providing the answer. That would be 35 then.
I do find it a little disappointing that some just seem to remain forever in barbie, especially after Weston was erradicated of it! I can't really speculate on what will leave (if anything) but 66723&4 might be candidates for repaint should Bristol decide to resume their route branding starting with route 72. Who knows.
Agree with GW, I had a short trip on 66728 recently on 173 and it is, as you say, hanging. I always found it a missed opportunity that these buses didn't receive treatment during many of the rebrand programmes, whereas buses like 66720&7 were chosen instead, despite having had recent repaints.
It is weird seeing Barbie about Weston on the town services again, for a while Express Yourself was prominent on the town services with the Darts and the Streetlites. Now it’s usual to see Badgerline, Coaster or Excel around Weston a lot more colourful!

Weston was quite good at getting rid of Barbie, all of the E200s which were Weston’s were painted, it is the ones which were mainly Baths but flitted in and out of Weston which remained in Barbie. 32001 was even painted into Urban from Barbie when it was I. Weston before. Of course it is now on its second paint job since then, Bath Unibus and now Coaster.

I wonder if the two B7RLEs in Weston will receive a nice coat of Excel orange as they are predominantly used on the X5? One is currently Barbie and the other Urban.

It would also be nice to see some of the closed top ALX400s to receive the Coaster livery when they’re used to complete the PVR of the 1 and 20 alongside the open tops in the summer and when the open tops are in hibernation. They are still used most days on the 1 and the 20, whereas last winter the 20 was mainly operated by the Bath Unibus purple Darts. Though I did see a Streetlite on a 20 last Thursday evening.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I wonder if the two B7RLEs in Weston will receive a nice coat of Excel orange as they are predominantly used on the X5? One is currently Barbie and the other Urban.

It would also be nice to see some of the closed top ALX400s to receive the Coaster livery when they’re used to complete the PVR of the 1 and 20 alongside the open tops in the summer and when the open tops are in hibernation. They are still used most days on the 1 and the 20, whereas last winter the 20 was mainly operated by the Bath Unibus purple Darts. Though I did see a Streetlite on a 20 last Thursday evening.

I'd be surprised to see the Eclipses painted - I'd have expected more deckers to arrive but you never know :D

I'd mentioned how it is Bath's vehicles that were least likely to see a paintbrush (though to be fair, only one Wells vehicle received Urban) so of those remaining, only one decker and a few Eclipses weren't Bath vehicles! Mind you, they did repaint one short Dart (42555?) about two months before it was sent off to Essex!!

I've had a similar thought as you. Perhaps pension off the W reg ALXs (they are 19 years old now) and instead repaint 32283-5/91 to eradicate the double deck Barbie (I'm ignoring on loan Tridents). Repaint them in the Coaster scheme (or a variant of) for a relaunched U2 though retaining the Unibus logo for publicity. Don't put any vinyls on the paintwork but instead use the advertising spaces to promote that route but, then in summer, move them to Weston where the advert boards can be replaced with Coaster ones? Just a thought?

Last edited:

Whiteway215

Established Member
The ex CT Plus B7TLs in Bath 32230-32/36 seem to run mostly on the Uni U1 and U2. I haven't seen them on anything else but knowing Bath I wouldn't be surprised if one turned up on a 19! It also introduces another colour to the scene - plain white!

D2007wsm

Established Member
I'd be surprised to see the Eclipses painted - I'd have expected more deckers to arrive but you never know :D

I've had a similar thought as you. Perhaps pension off the W reg ALXs (they are 19 years old now) and instead repaint 32283-5/91 to eradicate the double deck Barbie (I'm ignoring on loan Tridents). Repaint them in the Coaster scheme (or a variant of) for a relaunched U2 though retaining the Unibus logo for publicity. Don't put any vinyls on the paintwork but instead use the advertising spaces to promote that route but, then in summer, move them to Weston where the advert boards can be replaced with Coaster ones? Just a thought?
I think the decision to use the two B7RLEs on X5s was due to the cards they operate on not warranting the use of an E400, however a Streetlite was not big enough. The B7RLEs are used on the quieter cards with the E400s on the busier cards, including those which carry the Weston College students and pupils from Clevedon and Portishead schools.

It is a good idea using the advertising spaces on the side of buses for route branding as these can easily be removed, stored and replaced as the vehicle moves around. This was used on the ALX400s a couple of years over the summer alongside some subtle vinyls (some of which are still in situ).

It would work for the Coaster in the summer and U2 during term time. However, with Bath’s allocations the vehicle would probabably find itself of the U1 and it isn’t uncommon to see purple ALX400s on the 37.

That’s one good thing with Weston, you rarely see a branded vehicle off of it’s intended service. The Barbie vehicles, Urban vehicles and the Flying Dildo used to supplement the branded vehicles.

I think I’ve seen a stray Badger in Bristol twice, a Gemini early one morning and a Dart on a Sunday. However, that was due to a road closure and all X1s and X2s having to divert under the low railway bridge at Nailsea and Backwell, necessitating the use of all of the Darts and Streetlites for these. Think Gemini’s appeared on the 3s that day.

Was a sight seeing a Coaster parked on the back wall in the Bus Station one afternoon though.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I think the decision to use the two B7RLEs on X5s was due to the cards they operate on not warranting the use of an E400, however a Streetlite was not big enough. The B7RLEs are used on the quieter cards with the E400s on the busier cards, including those which carry the Weston College students and pupils from Clevedon and Portishead schools.

It is a good idea using the advertising spaces on the side of buses for route branding as these can easily be removed, stored and replaced as the vehicle moves around. This was used on the ALX400s a couple of years over the summer alongside some subtle vinyls (some of which are still in situ).

It would work for the Coaster in the summer and U2 during term time. However, with Bath’s allocations the vehicle would probabably find itself of the U1 and it isn’t uncommon to see purple ALX400s on the 37.

That’s one good thing with Weston, you rarely see a branded vehicle off of it’s intended service. The Barbie vehicles, Urban vehicles and the Flying Dildo used to supplement the branded vehicles.

I think I’ve seen a stray Badger in Bristol twice, a Gemini early one morning and a Dart on a Sunday. However, that was due to a road closure and all X1s and X2s having to divert under the low railway bridge at Nailsea and Backwell, necessitating the use of all of the Darts and Streetlites for these. Think Gemini’s appeared on the 3s that day.

Was a sight seeing a Coaster parked on the back wall in the Bus Station one afternoon though.

Whilst those boards are probably too busy for a StreetLite/not needing a decker, having a couple of extra deckers makes things a bit easier. Certainly, the FWoE is a lot more decker orientated these days - blimey, even the 36 is fully DD when it was 35 seat Darts not that long ago! Or indeed the 19/19A which was operated by those 05 plate Darts now in Weston and, of course, the W7 being deckered.

Bath have always been idiosyncratic as regards allocations, far worse than any other depot. Seen a U1 e400 on the 19A before but a shared Coaster/U2 livery is probably better than the current situation of Coaster/purple vehicles in Weston during the summer.

Last edited:

Whiteway215

Established Member
I had to smile to myself though seeing 32003 heading for Twerton on the U2 just now wearing its Coaster lettering.

D2007wsm

Established Member
I had to smile to myself though seeing 32003 heading for Twerton on the U2 just now wearing its Coaster lettering.
If that vehicle still has Coaster stickers, it would’ve made more sense to send that to Weston rather than 32006.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Whilst those boards are probably too busy for a StreetLite/not needing a decker, having a couple of extra deckers makes things a bit easier. Certainly, the FWoE is a lot more decker orientated these days - blimey, even the 36 is fully DD when it was 35 seat Darts not that long ago! Or indeed the 19/19A which was operated by those 05 plate Darts now in Weston and, of course, the W7 being deckered.

Bath have always been idiosyncratic as regards allocations, far worse than any other depot. Seen a U1 e400 on the 19A before but a shared Coaster/U2 livery is probably better than the current situation of Coaster/purple vehicles in Weston during the summer.
If a couple more E400s could be found they may reintroduce deckers to these cards. Or alternatively the X5 could be home to a couple of the long ex X39 Streetlites rather than B7RLEs.