• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
If that vehicle still has Coaster stickers, it would’ve made more sense to send that to Weston rather than 32006.
It has just the one on the rear beneath the top deck window IIRC.
If a couple more E400s could be found they may reintroduce deckers to these cards. Or alternatively the X5 could be home to a couple of the long ex X39 Streetlites rather than B7RLEs.
Possibly but easier just to have an extra couple of e400s - wouldn’t have been surprised if some had moved from the 50 when it changed but didn’t happen.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tommy Walters

If that vehicle still has Coaster stickers, it would’ve made more sense to send that to Weston rather than 32006.
32006 was most likely sent as it is by far in a way the worst of the 5 at getting up Bathwick Hill!! That batch can vary dramatically on hill climbs - whilst 003/7 are mediocre, 014 will shoot up a hill faster than an e400 running empty, and 015 can be pretty quick even with a reasonable load!!

Whiteway215

Established Member
32006 was most likely sent as it is by far in a way the worst of the 5 at getting up Bathwick Hill!! That batch can vary dramatically on hill climbs - whilst 003/7 are mediocre, 014 will shoot up a hill faster than an e400 running empty, and 015 can be pretty quick even with a reasonable load!!
I wonder how well they would do from Twerton High Street up to Southdown? I hope to make a trip soon!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The ex CT Plus B7TLs in Bath 32230-32/36 seem to run mostly on the Uni U1 and U2. I haven't seen them on anything else but knowing Bath I wouldn't be surprised if one turned up on a 19! It also introduces another colour to the scene - plain white!
32236 in overall dark blue working the U2 this morning with 53815!!

Seen mentioned on the First Glasgow thread re: Streetlites heading to Glasgow and the possible IDs of vehicles moving south. Is there any confirmation of what is being swapped, and does this mean the swaps with First Cymru and e200s now been concluded? Make that 13 of 59 standard Streetlites now moved on.

Whiteway215

Established Member
32236 in overall dark blue working the U2 this morning with 53815!!

Seen mentioned on the First Glasgow thread re: Streetlites heading to Glasgow and the possible IDs of vehicles moving south. Is there any confirmation of what is being swapped, and does this mean the swaps with First Cymru and e200s now been concluded? Make that 13 of 59 standard Streetlites now moved on.
47549/50 have gone, deckers have come in their place. Identity of deckers not known (although someone else may have that information by now)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
47549/50 have gone, deckers have come in their place. Identity of deckers not known (although someone else may have that information by now)
That was what I was driving at - we know what's gone but whilst a couple of deckers have been mentioned on the FiG thread, is there any confirmation? Also intrigued to know what they're for! Interesting to cast my mind back five years or so and to see what routes have been converted from single to double deck operation....???

Weston 7
Bath U1 (from bendis though)
Bristol 6/7, 36, 50/51 (part to full), 70, 902/4 (from bendis though)
WoE 17, 19/19A, 37, 173/4 (in part), 376, A1, T1, X9, X39,

Any others?

freetoview33

Established Member
That was what I was driving at - we know what's gone but whilst a couple of deckers have been mentioned on the FiG thread, is there any confirmation? Also intrigued to know what they're for! Interesting to cast my mind back five years or so and to see what routes have been converted from single to double deck operation....???

Weston 7
Bath U1 (from bendis though)
Bristol 6/7, 36, 50/51 (part to full), 70, 902/4 (from bendis though)
WoE 17, 19/19A, 37, 173/4 (in part), 376, A1, T1, X9, X39,

Any others?
For a period the 3 (41) was single.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Was it? I remember 69457/8 were semi-regular on there before they found a home on the X49..... hang on, X49 was also deckered :D
And latterly, the 82 (now Y6) became decker, due partly to the intrerunning of these services. The 46, now Y4 is currenly decker though I think will go back to singles once they have them.

-Colly405-

Was it? I remember 69457/8 were semi-regular on there before they found a home on the X49..... hang on, X49 was also deckered :D
The then-41, now-3, was re-routed from Westbury Lane to Sylvan Way a few years ago when it was converted to saloons. something to do with the vehicle length being an issue in Westbury Lane (although Wessex used to use full-size saloons on the 11!).
When it went back to 'deckers, they kept the route unchanged.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The Glasgow Double Deckers that went to Bath are 32669 32673.
Saw that on the FiG thread - is this confirmed elsewhere then, given that they are FSE rather than Glasgow vehicles?
The then-41, now-3, was re-routed from Westbury Lane to Sylvan Way a few years ago when it was converted to saloons. something to do with the vehicle length being an issue in Westbury Lane (although Wessex used to use full-size saloons on the 11!).
When it went back to 'deckers, they kept the route unchanged.
When was this? Was it c.2013 and was it done after they severed it as a cross city route? As I say, I can remember those two Eclipses appearing on there regularly but don't think I twigged that it had been converted and I remember it being Palatine Olympians in the late noughties but this seems to have escaped me :)
And latterly, the 82 (now Y6) became decker, due partly to the intrerunning of these services. The 46, now Y4 is currenly decker though I think will go back to singles once they have them.
I should've twigged the 82/Y6 once I remembered the X49!

Should those vehicles be confirmed, then it's another source of deckers to go with Glasgow, Kernow, Manchester, Leicester, West Yorkshire and Hampshire?

Last edited:

carlberry

Established Member
Saw that on the FiG thread - is this confirmed elsewhere then, given that they are FSE rather than Glasgow vehicles?

Should those vehicles be confirmed, then it's another source of deckers to go with Glasgow, Kernow, Manchester, Leicester, West Yorkshire and Hampshire?
Now confirmed on Steve White's site that the swap is with FSE and the vehicles are in two tone blue!

ValleyLines142

Established Member
32003 made an appearance in Bath on the 3 today!

Used the m2 today (courtesy of 36809). Very nice!

M1, bit of a let down. 1920 bus was sat at Hengrove Park, but with no driver. Another empty bus pulls up, but driver says he's here to do a swap as the original one is out of gas. He checks where the driver is on the running card. Equally as confused. By this point, a third M1 had arrived. Eventually the 19.20 became the 19.30 and so on. Waiting almost 15 minutes for a bus that's supposed to be every ten minutes wasn't fun in this weather. Earlier in the day an 8 vanished into thin air in Clifton too.

Temple Circus gyratory is also hell on earth, the sooner they sort that the better.

Also, what has happened to 32008?! Very tired and worn inside, nearside panel completely off on the upper deck, really on the absolute bones of its backside! Had it on the 37, first time on it too as I usually get the X39 but fancied a change.

-Colly405-

When was this? Was it c.2013 and was it done after they severed it as a cross city route? As I say, I can remember those two Eclipses appearing on there regularly but don't think I twigged that it had been converted and I remember it being Palatine Olympians in the late noughties but this seems to have escaped me :)
4/9/2011 according to http://www.shire.org.uk/shire.php?edition=476 (re: reroute of 41 via Sylvan Way)

Westonian

Steve has reported Slow Coaster 33156 parked at WM but has it been used in service?
33156 was parked in Weston for a few days but didn't run in service as far as I know; maybe a stop off on its way to Weymouth. 32006 transferred to Weston around 1st December and that month used mainly on Service 1 (Sand Bay). Service 1 operated by Streetlites this month while the terminus at Sand bay is resurfaced, and is terminating at Kewstoke with a run round a housing estate to turn (presumably with low trees). So 32006 mainly on 20 since Christmas. 30872 (one of the regulars on the 20) has been in the depot yard for a while presumably poorly.

Whiteway215

Established Member
33156 was parked in Weston for a few days but didn't run in service as far as I know; maybe a stop off on its way to Weymouth. 32006 transferred to Weston around 1st December and that month used mainly on Service 1 (Sand Bay). Service 1 operated by Streetlites this month while the terminus at Sand bay is resurfaced, and is terminating at Kewstoke with a run round a housing estate to turn (presumably with low trees). So 32006 mainly on 20 since Christmas. 30872 (one of the regulars on the 20) has been in the depot yard for a while presumably poorly.
Thanks for that-and that Sand Bay turnaround certainly needed a new surface!

D2007wsm

Established Member
There was also a 1 or 2 branded E400MMC on a 3 or a 4 at lunchtime.

I think the priority today was to run a service and not worry what vehicle was allocated to it, branded or not.

Most of the Bristol, South Glos and North Somerset services have held up pretty well, with some deviations to route.

It has been the Wells and Bath services which have suffered. Many of the Bath city and country services have suffered from full or partial suspension and no services have operated into or out of Wells all day. Wells Depot has remained closed.

The 178 is now also only running a shuttle to and from Keynsham as it is impassible past Keynsham to Midsomer Norton and Radstock.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
There was also a 1 or 2 branded E400MMC on a 3 or a 4 at lunchtime.

I think the priority today was to run a service and not worry what vehicle was allocated to it, branded or not.

Most of the Bristol, South Glos and North Somerset services have held up pretty well, with some deviations to route.

It has been the Wells and Bath services which have suffered. Many of the Bath city and country services have suffered from full or partial suspension and no services have operated into or out of Wells all day. Wells Depot has remained closed.

The 178 is now also only running a shuttle to and from Keynsham as it is impassible past Keynsham to Midsomer Norton and Radstock.

Around Midsomer Norton and Radstock, there were 172s (operated by Bath depot) and 178s until the weather deteriorated. It was ok about 0800 and then it dumped a load more during the morning.

83G/84D

Established Member
There are reports on the Glasgow thread that Volvo B7TL's 37166/68/70/71 & 37180 have moved from there to Cymru.