• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Whiteway215

Established Member
Both 30871 and 30877 not only are quite reliable, but also perform well. :D
I absolutely agree-both are regularly all day on the 19/19A/37 so must be pretty good.
B7rlethrasher reported he drove 71 some weeks ago and said it went well.
Pity 30875 was withdrawn with a faulty engine.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D2007wsm

Established Member
Both 30871 and 30877 not only are quite reliable, but also perform well. :D
I think that may be yet another error on bus times.org. Probably 37772 not 30871 on 174.
It may be due to the Ticketer, it Ticketers are swapped between buses and the fleet number on the Ticketer is not changed the tracking systems shows the original fleet number, not the fleet number of the bus it is currently on.

Marcus Fryer

It may be due to the Ticketer, it Ticketers are swapped between buses and the fleet number on the Ticketer is not changed the tracking systems shows the original fleet number, not the number of the bus it is currently on.
In this case 30877 is shown on bustimes to have worked both the 17:40 19 to Cribbs Causeway and 18:50 174 to Wells. Its previous journeys were all on the 19. The 18:50 is also shown as being worked by 37772. The 19:30 from Cribbs Causeway (back working of the 17:40) is shown to have been worked by 32343. This suggests that there was either a vehicle swap or Ticketer swap at Bath bus station yesterday evening.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It may be due to the Ticketer, it Ticketers are swapped between buses and the fleet number on the Ticketer is not changed the tracking systems shows the original fleet number, not the fleet number of the bus it is currently on.
There are numerous instances where this is the case - as I mentioned, 69437 disappeared from the bustimes list but I spied it in Radstock, checked bustimes and saw it had gained the Ticketer from 37606.

I see on Facebook that First are claiming that 60 engines have been upgraded to Euro 6 standard over the last three months. Anyone have any idea which vehicles they are referring to?
Thought they were looking at 44520-6 and the X39 deckers at least.

I'm surprised that nobody has reported on the BBC's story about school children meeting Bristol city council to discuss free travel on Arriva's new services in Bristol!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/localnews/2654675-bristol/0
View attachment 64661
Excellent reporting from the Post, as per usual

swifty

Established Member
I see on Facebook that First are claiming that 60 engines have been upgraded to Euro 6 standard over the last three months. Anyone have any idea which vehicles they are referring to?

I believe numerous 373xx B9TLs have been converted in Bristol.

Class 33

Established Member
I see there is a consultation on the Bristol 2 here
https://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-bath-and-west/news-and-service-updates/customer-consultations

In short, they are consulting on changes to take effect from September, the options being:
- Splitting it into two halves, either at Temple Meads and Clifton with each overlapping, or in the Centre.
- Rerouting it away from Greystoke Ave & Doncaster Rd, and serving more of Southmead Rd and all of Pen Park Ave (thus serving Southmead Hospital better)
- Re-routing it via the 76 route through Henbury instead of Wyck Beck Rd
- Re-routing it via the full length of Henleaze Rd, rather than North View (inbound only).

Splitting the service 2 in two may well be a good idea and with adequate enough lay-over time at the terminating points. I have often waited for a 1 or 2 in Union Street on a Saturday afternoon or in the evening peak on a weekday and there being a long wait for EITHER service to turn up due to traffic problems. And then due to the long gap in service towards Westbury/Henleaze/Southmead/Henbury/Cribbs Causeway, when a bus finally turns up they soon can get very packed out! So splitting the service and northbound services starting at either Temple Meads or Broadmead should help this problem.

If the service 2 is split though. Will both the routes still be the service 2? Or will the Clifton/Centre-Stockwood part of the route be renumbered?

I don't really see the point of re-routing it through Henbury instead of Wyck Beck Road though. I know there can be traffic problems heading south along Wyck Beck Road during the peak hours. But it isn't that bad! Re-routing it via Henbury in peak times would take about the same time, if not even a few minutes or so longer due to several more bus stops and more people boarding. And in off-peak times when there is light traffic, it would take about 5 minutes longer being re-routed via Henbury!

Anyway, will be interesting to see what happens with the 2 in the September changes. And hopefully there will be some more nice interesting changes to other services and maybe a brand new service or two?

freetoview33

Established Member
Lets break this down a moment. 77 New buses
10 - Metrobus (I'm guessing for an improvement in the M3 and the Parkway - Emersons Green Service)
67 - 6/7/42/43/44/45/48/49

So 67 displaced buses.

10/12 - Replace the ALX400's on the 3/4 probs B9's
8 - Replace the B9's on the 1 and 2 and the likely increase in PVR for the 2.
1/2 - For the 35.
10 - Replace the rubbish on the 75/76
5 - Weston
7/8 - Wells
10 - Bath

So yeah 15/20 sent on along with some singles and the 18+year old doubles off.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Lets break this down a moment. 77 New buses
10 - Metrobus (I'm guessing for an improvement in the M3 and the Parkway - Emersons Green Service)
67 - 6/7/42/43/44/45/48/49

So 67 displaced buses.

10/12 - Replace the ALX400's on the 3/4 probs B9's
8 - Replace the B9's on the 1 and 2 and the likely increase in PVR for the 2.
1/2 - For the 35.
10 - Replace the rubbish on the 75/76
5 - Weston
7/8 - Wells
10 - Bath

So yeah 15/20 sent on along with some singles and the 18+year old doubles off.

Remember that the bid was for 110 vehicles but there has been some change in that.

Also, it’s a bit simplistic to suggest that early or mid life cascading won’t go on; there could easily be some cascading of Streetdeck or B9s out to other OpCos.

I’d like to see the 48/49 e400mmc head to the X39. Don’t think the 35 will change. Think the B9s might head to Wells sooner though.

Wonder if the m2 might get newer vehicles given the non metrobus interiors and the rumoured extension eventually to Hengrove (if it does happen).

freetoview33

Established Member
Remember that the bid was for 110 vehicles but there has been some change in that.

Also, it’s a bit simplistic to suggest that early or mid life cascading won’t go on; there could easily be some cascading of Streetdeck or B9s out to other OpCos.

I’d like to see the 48/49 e400mmc head to the X39. Don’t think the 35 will change. Think the B9s might head to Wells sooner though.

Wonder if the m2 might get newer vehicles given the non metrobus interiors and the rumoured extension eventually to Hengrove (if it does happen).
They did say the 35 would go to mainly doubles when possible.

Also isn't the m2 based out of Hengrove? And the gas buses will be just at Lawrence Hill.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
They did say the 35 would go to mainly doubles when possible.

Also isn't the m2 based out of Hengrove? And the gas buses will be just at Lawrence Hill.

Fair point about the m2 though could be run by LH rather than HE (as the 5 and 70/1 were).

Think they said certain journeys on the 35. Be a nice view but not certain it’s worth modern deckers.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I think so, I think the 10 will likely be for the M3/M3X and M4* (Parkway to Emersons) Then with the current M3 buses moved to work an extended M2/M5* (Centre - Long Ashton - Hengrove)

* Not confirmed number

Has there been any firm indication that the Emersons route will be expanded? In fact, the Hengrove extension was mooted as being back on but heard nothing else since

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Splitting the service 2 in two may well be a good idea and with adequate enough lay-over time at the terminating points. So splitting the service and northbound services starting at either Temple Meads or Broadmead should help this problem.

If the service 2 is split though. Will both the routes still be the service 2? Or will the Clifton/Centre-Stockwood part of the route be renumbered? Anyway, will be interesting to see what happens with the 2 in the September changes and hopefully there will be some more nice interesting changes to other services and maybe a brand new service or two?

When I filled in the consultation online, I opted for the 2 to be split at Temple Meads with the southern section of the 2 between City Centre and Stockwood being both renumbered to a service 12 and looped so that the service from Stockwood would run past Temple Meads then left up through Redcliffe, over Redcliffe bridge, along Princes Street then as service 8/9 route to Temple Way then straight back to Stockwood - in theory, the Stockwood section would become a "BristolCityBus" with my suggestion that I based on the LeedsCityBus since that runs in a one way loop around the city that may just work for Bristol.

The northern section of the 2, I suggested that it should stay as a service 2 and run as far as Temple Meads stand T1 - before running back to Cribbs via the Bath Bridge roundabout.

freetoview33

Established Member
When I filled in the consultation online, I opted for the 2 to be split at Temple Meads with the southern section of the 2 between City Centre and Stockwood being both renumbered to a service 12 and looped so that the service from Stockwood would run past Temple Meads then left up through Redcliffe, over Redcliffe bridge, along Princes Street then as service 8/9 route to Temple Way then straight back to Stockwood - in theory, the Stockwood section would become a "BristolCityBus" with my suggestion that I based on the LeedsCityBus since that runs in a one way loop around the city that may just work for Bristol.

The northern section of the 2, I suggested that it should stay as a service 2 and run as far as Temple Meads stand T1 - before running back to Cribbs via the Bath Bridge roundabout.
I've always said if split it should be Centre/Broadmead - Stockwood and Temple Meads - Cribbs Causeway

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Plus someone has put in a FoI request so it will be interesting to see if that turns anything up.

Well, indeed it will. The problem is that much of the information that is currently in the public domain is now out of date and what is there to actually find out. There's been nothing on the Parkway to Emersons service for many years. The missing extension to Hengrove was mooted about last September as a possible move by James Freeman but that seems to have gone quiet too. My suspicion is that the m1 will be diverted to serve Parkway and that's it for the foreseeable though they might, just might, put some sort of half hourly extension to the m2 up through Highridge and bin off the 52.

As for new vehicles into Bristol, it's just a hunch but I'd expect that the 42-45 will be converted early as will the 48/49. The 6/7 and 17 may be slightly later (but only by a few months). I'd hope that some of the e400mmc on the 48/49 might head to Bath for the X39 - we can but pray something newer than 10 year old B9s might be put on there!

You do get the feeling that JF and his team aren't exactly sold on the Wright integrals. There are the reports that the long Bath Streetlites will head to Leicester, following various smaller ones out of the fleet already to Glasgow or Wales. In that respect, I'd not be surprised to see some Streetdecks heading elsewhere to update other OpCos as well as some late model B7TLs or some B9s heading elsewhere.

In the meantime, things have been rather quiet. Perhaps the repaints may start again with the reductions in university work now for the summer, finishing off the Badgerline Darts and perhaps getting some South Glos Lynx vehicles painted up.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Meanwhile, a bit of 2+2 dangerous thinking. See that the ex Glasgow Airport e200mmcs appear to have left Glasgow.

Meanwhile, the Cymru staff rag has a new Cymru Clipper livery mocked up on an e200mmc. It had been rumoured that they were expected and for the X11 so wonder if they may be on their way?

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Well, indeed it will. The problem is that much of the information that is currently in the public domain is now out of date and what is there to actually find out. There's been nothing on the Parkway to Emersons service for many years. The missing extension to Hengrove was mooted about last September as a possible move by James Freeman but that seems to have gone quiet too. My suspicion is that the m1 will be diverted to serve Parkway and that's it for the foreseeable though they might, just might, put some sort of half hourly extension to the m2 up through Highridge and bin off the 52.

As for new vehicles into Bristol, it's just a hunch but I'd expect that the 42-45 will be converted early as will the 48/49. The 6/7 and 17 may be slightly later (but only by a few months). I'd hope that some of the e400mmc on the 48/49 might head to Bath for the X39 - we can but pray something newer than 10 year old B9s might be put on there!

You do get the feeling that JF and his team aren't exactly sold on the Wright integrals. There are the reports that the long Bath Streetlites will head to Leicester, following various smaller ones out of the fleet already to Glasgow or Wales. In that respect, I'd not be surprised to see some Streetdecks heading elsewhere to update other OpCos as well as some late model B7TLs or some B9s heading elsewhere.

In the meantime, things have been rather quiet. Perhaps the repaints may start again with the reductions in university work now for the summer, finishing off the Badgerline Darts and perhaps getting some South Glos Lynx vehicles painted up.

Yes, I believe that the long Streetlites at Bath, and the rest of the Mendip B7RLEs are still off to Leicester, so they all need to be replaced with something.
Your thought about James F and Wright integrals may well be correct. He's also not the only one.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Meanwhile, the Cymru staff rag has a new Cymru Clipper livery mocked up on an e200mmc. It had been rumoured that they were expected and for the X11 so wonder if they may be on their way?
Sounds interesting: they would probably look quite good in that livery.

Dave

-Colly405-

My suspicion is that the m1 will be diverted to serve Parkway
I really can't see it - the m1 is already 7 minutes slower (off peak) slower than the T1 between Bradley Stoke / Great Stoke and the central area, and this would make is unattractive as it would add probably 6 minutes to the journey time.
For what it's worth, I envisage a 'Parkway - UWE - Emersons' service, every 20 minutes, giving an even 10 minute headway with the m3 to Emersons.