• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buses in Bath

Essex have 44908-10 at Basildon depot and 44913-5 at Chelmsford depot
Oh I didnt read that properly. I thought he wrote 'no, some had gone to Leeds'. Nevermind. If you look at my original post i wrote I dont think any had gone to Leeds as the person before had said some had. I also wrote about them going to Essex but thanks for the extra info.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Oh I didnt read that properly. I thought he wrote 'no, some had gone to Leeds'. Nevermind. If you look at my original post i wrote I dont think any had gone to Leeds as the person before had said some had. I also wrote about them going to Essex but thanks for the extra info.

44916-21 went to Hampshire though 44918-21 are now in Cornwall.

44905/06 and 44911/12 went to Scotland though don’t think they ever graced Bath but Hengrove and Weston.

D2007wsm

Established Member

44905/06 and 44911/12 went to Scotland though don’t think they ever graced Bath but Hengrove and Weston.
The short E200s when they were here spent their time flicking between Weston and Bath as either of the two depots needed more or less. By the end, it was easy to tell if one had been mainly in Weston and vice versa as Weston’s were repainted into Urban or North Somerset Connect for the A2, whereas Bath’s mainly remained in Barbie.

Thinking not so long ago, these were on the 24s and now it’s deckers! How times change.

Tommy Walters

44905/6 were in Bath very briefly around May-June 2018. Neither did much, mainly covering on Wessex Water and 1s! They were the two with the leather seats I believe?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The short E200s when they were here spent their time flicking between Weston and Bath as either of the two depots needed more or less. By the end, it was easy to tell if one had been mainly in Weston and vice versa as Weston’s were repainted into Urban or North Somerset Connect for the A2, whereas Bath’s mainly remained in Barbie.

Thinking not so long ago, these were on the 24s and now it’s deckers! How times change.

TBF, the e200s on the 24/25 were usually overloaded anyway, grossly so in peak.

As was the way (and not certain why it was the case) but Weston vehicles (not just e200s but Eclipses and ALXs) often were repainted in Urban and gained eLeather whilst Bath depot remained a bastion of Barbie.

44905/6 were in Bath very briefly around May-June 2018. Neither did much, mainly covering on Wessex Water and 1s! They were the two with the leather seats I believe?

I'll take your word on that - hard to remember with all these changes

RELL6L

The 29 has fluctuated over the years. Twenty years ago it was a sporadic service, I think five journeys a day, to no particular pattern, but was later upped to hourly. It has, as you say been an hourly service several times, two hourly, 90 mins, and at its lowest I think it was briefly a three hourly service. Sadly Taunton will be another destination cut off from Wells now.

I think this is very sad about the 29. I rode this only last month and reported in this thread many pages ago. My 29 was full and standing - but only between Glastonbury and Street, due to a dearth of 376s. But it had a few passengers across the Somerset levels and several more between Creech Heathfield and Taunton. This section will surely justify some retention and I expect both ends will need some college service.

Wells, Glastonbury, Street, all in Somerset, and going to be cut off from their county town. Great shame, how backward.

swifty

Established Member
Looks like there were a few fleet movements over the weekend. 39401 seems to be at LH with the rest of the gas buses now.

Private Baxter

Established Member
I think this is very sad about the 29. I rode this only last month and reported in this thread many pages ago. My 29 was full and standing - but only between Glastonbury and Street, due to a dearth of 376s. But it had a few passengers across the Somerset levels and several more between Creech Heathfield and Taunton. This section will surely justify some retention and I expect both ends will need some college service.

Wells, Glastonbury, Street, all in Somerset, and going to be cut off from their county town. Great shame, how backward.
I agree. I've not lived that way for a few years now, but unfortunately I can believe that large sections of the route are under used. For those wishing to travel to Taunton, there really is no viable alternative. The 75 to Bridgwater is slow and only every two hours, so changing there is no good. It would probably be quicker to take the train from Temple Meads!

martyjon

39401 on the 48A this morning when I saw it in Rupert Street having travelled into the City Centre from my home in Yate on 39492 another CBG powered member of Mr Freemans fleet.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Looks like there were a few fleet movements over the weekend. 39401 seems to be at LH with the rest of the gas buses now.
It makes sense as it can be refilled onsite rather than having to be sent to CT Plus.

Now there are lots of gas busses in Bristol rather than just 39401, I’m surprised it hasn’t been sent to be repainted out of it’s unique livery into Urban to act as a spare for everything else.

lx12ddo

Damage caused to 33948 on the Bath Campus this morning, just before midday. I think it pulled up behind an artic already on the stand way too early (and sharply), and came into contact with the central island's kerb. 33840 has since replaced it on that board. Picture here.

It joins 944 in the VOR category, leaving only 6 MMCs in action for the Uni of Bath! Hopefully it's a quick fix at the depot.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It makes sense as it can be refilled onsite rather than having to be sent to CT Plus.

Now there are lots of gas busses in Bristol rather than just 39401, I’m surprised it hasn’t been sent to be repainted out of it’s unique livery into Urban to act as a spare for everything else.

To be fair, 39401 is in livery that isn't particular to any one group of routes (Citylines East, SG Lynx, or even whatever the new 73 will be) so it is sort of spare like the pink m-tickets act.

D2007wsm

Established Member
To be fair, 39401 is in livery that isn't particular to any one group of routes (Citylines East, SG Lynx, or even whatever the new 73 will be) so it is sort of spare like the pink m-tickets act.
I was thinking more along the lines advertising it’s ‘Bristol’s Gas Bus’ and now there are loads of them, so it is no longer the only one and has nothing special to promote about it.

CD

I agree. I've not lived that way for a few years now, but unfortunately I can believe that large sections of the route are under used. For those wishing to travel to Taunton, there really is no viable alternative. The 75 to Bridgwater is slow and only every two hours, so changing there is no good. It would probably be quicker to take the train from Temple Meads!
77 to Somerton Square, 26 minute wait for 54 to Taunton. Similar on the return.
I`ve noticed some people already doing this.

martyjon

39492 route learning again today, after yesterday spent solely on the Y1, this member of Mr Freeman's fleet is currently learning the Y6 following its learning of the Y5 to position it at Chipping Sodbury for its run on the Y6 to Southmead Hospital and back to CS. Will catch it on its return to Bristol BS to go to Staple Hill from my home in Yate.

swifty

Established Member
True but it's not doing any harm and there's many more vehicles needing a repaint before it!!

That was my thinking as well that the exact wording on it isn’t relevant anymore. No need to paint though - just some new vynil.

On the subject of 39401, looks like it’s swapped with 36823. It’s on the 96 this morning.

Interestingly there was a Portway P&R E400 on the 76 yesterday morning and evening. Not sure if it stayed out all day though.

spw24

39446 is tracking as 66728 on the 44 today saw it earlier in St George. 32084 also out today on the 3 & 4.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
39446 is tracking as 66728 on the 44 today saw it earlier in St George. 32084 also out today on the 3 & 4.

My wallet is safe today ;)

I know that @Whiteway215 was drawing attention to the rogue reporting of bus times.

Mind you, there's plenty of people out there who seem to believe bustimes as gospel "OMG.... A B7TL worked the Airport service!!!!!"....whilst simultaneously working a 76

Certainly as regards First West of England, it's only right about 80% of the time

carlberry

Established Member
My wallet is safe today ;)

I know that @Whiteway215 was drawing attention to the rogue reporting of bus times.

Mind you, there's plenty of people out there who seem to believe it as gospel "OMG.... A B7TL worked the Airport service!!!!!"....whilst simultaneously working a 76
In it's defense I'd point out that bus times reporting is 100% accurate, however it's reporting communications from ticket machines and people should understand that before using it, and especially when quoting it.

BBC

32073 3/4 branded bus looks like it may be back. Seen heading into LH not long ago.