• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tommy Walters

It was green with strawberries I seem to recall, more akin to the National Bus Company green than any green used elsewhere on anything else e.g. Badgerline and Citylines 24/73. This would also hark back to the railway origins being a similar shade to GWR Brunswick Green.

I don’t know which buses will be treated. It’s a shame 1 more 69*** cannot be found as it is a PVR of 3. Perhaps 69448 could be a candidate as it is certainly an oddball now at Lawrence Hill. No other 69***s left and everything now deckered, except for the X8 which should be an excel Streetlite.

Wells could then have an Urban B7RLE to act as spare on these or any Mendip Explorer route and Weston could use a Streetlite. Wells could even have have one of the mTicket Streetlites as spare.

The 126 would have been a perfect home for some of the Streetlite Max’s, the X5 would also be good as it’s loadings doesn’t warrant deckers apart from the college trips. They would even be good on the X8, but the usual interworking with the X2 would preclude this.

You're not wrong there. The Streetlite Maxes really were a white elephant in my opinion. Displaced at first from the X39 due it being deckerised, then falling out of favour at Westbury following the Discover relaunch, then lasting only a year on the Bath 4 (which they were too long for, to be honest), before finally seeing their days at WoE out working out of LH. Even then, they were among the first to go in post-Christmas cascades. A route like the 126 is a good home for them, as they are slightly shorter and than a B7RLE, which would really help through Axbridge, for example. Yet at the same time they have a similar capacity. Didn't Bath depot play host to a few more than the native batch of 63068-78 at some stage? I'm sure some ex-Manchester ones spring to mind (something like 63099/100?).

Never knew either that the X2 has a length restriction on it! What is that due to?

Private Baxter

Established Member
You're not wrong there. The Streetlite Maxes really were a white elephant in my opinion. Displaced at first from the X39 due it being deckerised, then falling out of favour at Westbury following the Discover relaunch, then lasting only a year on the Bath 4 (which they were too long for, to be honest), before finally seeing their days at WoE out working out of LH. Even then, they were among the first to go in post-Christmas cascades. A route like the 126 is a good home for them, as they are slightly shorter and than a B7RLE, which would really help through Axbridge, for example. Yet at the same time they have a similar capacity. Didn't Bath depot play host to a few more than the native batch of 63068-78 at some stage? I'm sure some ex-Manchester ones spring to mind (something like 63099/100?).
There were indeed two non natives temporarily based down here, doing short term stints both at Bath and Hengrove. Forget the numbers though it wasnt the numbers you suggest, but yes they had come from Manchester/Bolton. Can't remember where they moved on to.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
There were indeed two non natives temporarily based down here, doing short term stints both at Bath and Hengrove. Forget the numbers though it wasnt the numbers you suggest, but yes they had come from Manchester/Bolton. Can't remember where they moved on to.
Manchester 63109/10 stopped off for a few weeks (63111 was rumoured to join them but didn’t) before heading to Weymouth again for a short spell but then going to Hoeford

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Never knew either that the X2 has a length restriction on it! What is that due to?
There were no real problems with Maxes on the 4. Badly parked cars on Bloomfield Drive are a problem for any bus.

63068-78 also did a spell on the 37/38 retaining their Bath to Bristol branding.

Is the issue with longer vehicles not West Wick on the X2?

Whiteway215

Established Member
Interesting comment by RichW on Tuesday on the Go Cornwall Bus thread suggesting some/many casual drivers currently with that company have accepted new posts in the Bath/Bristol area. Is that suggesting Uni services will be returning and needing drivers?

freetoview33

Established Member
Interesting comment by RichW on Tuesday on the Go Cornwall Bus thread suggesting some/many casual drivers currently with that company have accepted new posts in the Bath/Bristol area. Is that suggesting Uni services will be returning and needing drivers?
Yes a variation for the U1/U2 in Bristol went through for September but as far as I was aware Bristol uni was planning on having all students (other than 1st year) at home. So could be heavily focused on Stoke Bishop/Clifton with City Centre extension less frequent or removed.

D2007wsm

Established Member

There were no real problems with Maxes on the 4. Badly parked cars on Bloomfield Drive are a problem for any bus.

63068-78 also did a spell on the 37/38 retaining their Bath to Bristol branding.

Is the issue with longer vehicles not West Wick on the X2?
Not so much West Wick, this toad is quite wide being a link out to the motorway junction from Wolvershill Road.

The problem is Locking Castle and Weston Village. The roads are not the widest with some tight corners. Add in parked cars and the stupid stone balls the council have put on corners. A B7RLE did venture onto a X2 or X7 and got stuck. So now that’s why the X2/X8 combo is usually a Streetlite apart from a few early morning and late evening journeys which are an E400. Even with these it is preferred the slightly shorter 335**s are used.

Since when where the darts back on the 3 in Weston-super-mare
Originally drivers were told they were not coming back, hence being stored at Lawrence Hill. They have been returned to Weston presumably for the 3s and 5s. I thought this was next week. The 3s I have seen the last few days were still B7TLs or B9s.

The yellow B7RLEs are for the training fleet. It was announced in ‘The Word’ today.

Buses in Bath

Originally drivers were told they were not coming back, hence being stored at Lawrence Hill. They have been returned to Weston presumably for the 3s and 5s. I thought this was next week. The 3s I have seen the last few days were still B7TLs or B9s.
I saw them as I am in Weston-super-mare today and was a bit surprised so checked the tracker which suggests this is the first day they are back.

Westonian

I saw them as I am in Weston-super-mare today and was a bit surprised so checked the tracker which suggests this is the first day they are back.
There are 4 of them on the 3 with three more lined up at the depot so presumably service 3 will go back to all Dart shortly and some of the double deck (noisy and in one case smokey) sheds at Weston can go back to their 'home' depots and not a moment too soon!

Westonian

There are 4 of them on the 3 with three more lined up at the depot so presumably service 3 will go back to all Dart shortly and some of the double deck (noisy and in one case smokey) sheds at Weston can go back to their 'home' depots and not a moment too soon!
Spoke too soon; 42910 broken down, replaced by a decker - then there were three!

Private Baxter

Established Member
I remember when they arrived for X39. All in all they were good buses only taken off that service for capacity reasons. I'm sure the plan was at one point to bring more to our region, including a batch of eleven for the 376, but as we know that never happened and those buses have generally fallen out of favour. Agree they would have been good for 126, if not a bit new!
Manchester 63109/10 stopped off for a few weeks (63111 was rumoured to join them but didn’t) before heading to Weymouth again for a short spell but then going to Hoeford
Ah thank you for that. All coming back to me now!
Just got to work but had just been following 69444 from Trowbridge to Westbury working the D1 route
It had always been speculated that these buses would have been moved on to the then numbered 265 when their time came to be replaced on 376 and perhaps that had once been the plan, but as we know this did not happen. The ex airport ones are just as good, though I do wonder if the ex Wells ones are a bit wasted on the Bath 5. Time will tell.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Not so much West Wick, this toad is quite wide being a link out to the motorway junction from Wolvershill Road.

The problem is Locking Castle and Weston Village. The roads are not the widest with some tight corners. Add in parked cars and the stupid stone balls the council have put on corners. A B7RLE did venture onto a X2 or X7 and got stuck. So now that’s why the X2/X8 combo is usually a Streetlite apart from a few early morning and late evening journeys which are an E400. Even with these it is preferred the slightly shorter 335**s are used.

That was where I was thinking about but obviously, don't know the correct geographic term. Remember being on a Streetlite going through there and I just had so much sympathy with the driver as kerbs were mounted with cars badly parked and yes, those atlas balls!!

Private Baxter

Established Member
Spoke too soon; 42910 broken down, replaced by a decker - then there were three!
Haha oh dear! I might be in a minority but I welcome the return of some single decks. Too many have gone lately and these darts have a few more years in them yet I reckon!
Buses I've got in Bristol this week. Things seem to be getting busier again.
One does sense things have returned to some form of normality in recent weeks, with buses being busier than they have been in months in all but the peaks.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I remember when they arrived for X39. All in all they were good buses only taken off that service for capacity reasons. I'm sure the plan was at one point to bring more to our region, including a batch of eleven for the 376, but as we know that never happened and those buses have generally fallen out of favour.

Indeed, 63317-27 were destined for FWoE. The Eclipses were beginning to overload badly in peak and Wells couldn't take deckers. However, as we know, it was only the door that was the issue at Wells, not the internal height so that was sorted and the Streetdecks duly arrived instead. Norwich did duly get their Streetdecks, receiving some baby pink fronted ones that were first used on Bristol to Bath Rail Replacements.....and eventually 35149/50 from Bristol (via a Cornish holiday)

It had always been speculated that these buses would have been moved on to the then numbered 265 when their time came to be replaced on 376 and perhaps that had once been the plan, but as we know this did not happen. The ex airport ones are just as good, though I do wonder if the ex Wells ones are a bit wasted on the Bath 5. Time will tell.

The 5 is a pretty intensive service and they are now nearly 11 years old so think it is probably a good move.

Too many have gone lately and these darts have a few more years in them yet I reckon!

The Darts have been great servants but those ones have been hammered in Bath. Remember they were doing the 265/267/272 much of the time before the Streetlites appeared on there. I guess they're ok for another year or two of pootling around the high octane world of Weston though.

The lack of singles is an interesting point. I had thought that the 8 would get some new fleet at some point but you get the feeling that it would be another 24 with a relocated stop, widening of headway, and consequent conversion.

Tommy Walters

Just got to work but had just been following 69444 from Trowbridge to Westbury working the D1 route

Members of that batch straying onto Discover services has been fairly common recently, as 69500/1/5 are all off the road.

That's if they're even being used on the Bath 5! Since the old fleet was resurrected, it's mainly been that, Streetlites & 66732 doing 5s. The ex-Wells ones seem to get used more on D-routes, as well as being lent back to Wells every now & then (69445 down there now!). I have a feeling the newer B7RLEs are slightly longer than the older ones, and it could be that they aren't ideal for using round Twerton & Whiteway?

Private Baxter

Established Member
The yellow B7RLEs are for the training fleet. It was announced in ‘The Word’ today.
Finally a repaint for 66934! :D
I will keep an eye out for it once it is out and about. Just thinking then which of the 54/55 reg B7RLEs are still in, or will return to service. I'm thinking 66720/2/6-7/32/4+943/56.... realise it is all a bit up in the air anyway but is that accurate?

Look forward to seeing the new livery for 126 when it eventually emerges. Seems a suitable choice, with hints of heritage for that route!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Members of that batch straying onto Discover services has been fairly common recently, as 69500/1/5 are all off the road.

That's if they're even being used on the Bath 5! Since the old fleet was resurrected, it's mainly been that, Streetlites & 66732 doing 5s. The ex-Wells ones seem to get used more on D-routes, as well as being lent back to Wells every now & then (69445 down there now!). I have a feeling the newer B7RLEs are slightly longer than the older ones, and it could be that they aren't ideal for using round Twerton & Whiteway?

There's no difference in length or wheelbase IIRC. They're all pretty standard.

The fact is that there are some Discover ones off the road. The ex Wells machines are good vehicles so they're put out on the Discovers whilst the short Streetlites or more venerable Eclipses get used on the 5.

ice. I'm thinking 66720/2/6-7/32/4+943/56.... realise it is all a bit up in the air anyway but is that accurate?

66943, 66726 and 66886 still parked in Westbury last week (plus 69253). To be honest, I think they'll look to ship some up to Ensign soon once things calm down. Don't know about 66956 - that was withdrawn some weeks before Covid hit.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Indeed, 63317-27 were destined for FWoE. The Eclipses were beginning to overload badly in peak and Wells couldn't take deckers. However, as we know, it was only the door that was the issue at Wells, not the internal height so that was sorted and the Streetdecks duly arrived instead. Norwich did duly get their Streetdecks, receiving some baby pink fronted ones that were first used on Bristol to Bath Rail Replacements.....and eventually 35149/50 from Bristol (via a Cornish holiday)

The 5 is a pretty intensive service and they are now nearly 11 years old so think it is probably a good move.

The Darts have been great servants but those ones have been hammered in Bath. Remember they were doing the 265/267/272 much of the time before the Streetlites appeared on there. I guess they're ok for another year or two of pootling around the high octane world of Weston though.

The lack of singles is an interesting point. I had thought that the 8 would get some new fleet at some point but you get the feeling that it would be another 24 with a relocated stop, widening of headway, and consequent conversion.
That's right, the Wells streetdecks were intended for Norwich, but ended up with the maxes intended for Wells, but as you say they did eventually get their streetdecks as well. But I had wondered what had happened to 35149/50!

The 8, from my limited experience, does get very busy, and could justify dockers, so I agree, it could potentially be re-route in order to accommodate them.

Oh really, didnt realise that. I suppose the older eclipses are still at Bath and in good order and it has been unclear as to where they will go. Maybe they will take on the 126.
66943, 66726 and 66886 still parked in Westbury last week (plus 69253). To be honest, I think they'll look to ship some up to Ensign soon once things calm down. Don't know about 66956 - that was withdrawn some weeks before Covid hit.
It's pretty uncertain with them isn't it. Most are still in working order, with some having had recent(ish) redurbs so I hope they are able to give a few more years service yet. You're right about 66956 - I had forgotten that one had been taken out of service, and if I'm honest kind of lost track of it all!

D2007wsm

Established Member
That was where I was thinking about but obviously, don't know the correct geographic term. Remember being on a Streetlite going through there and I just had so much sympathy with the driver as kerbs were mounted with cars badly parked and yes, those atlas balls!!
West Wick is the section where you come of the A370 then go round past the old Lidl warehouse then turn right and come out bu what was the Bucket & Spade, then Harvester and now Miller and Carter.

In the days of the Mercedes minibuses and even short Marshall Darts, they had trouble getting round on what was the 3C, 13 and 14.

It was rumoured the 8 was to be deckered when the Streetlites could only carry 10 people, but whilst the A1 isn’t running moved onto its stop on the Temple Meads incline with the 73 etc.
There's no difference in length or wheelbase IIRC. They're all pretty standard.

The fact is that there are some Discover ones off the road. The ex Wells machines are good vehicles so they're put out on the Discovers whilst the short Streetlites or more venerable Eclipses get used on the 5.
I did hear management talking and 66726 is supposedly going into the training fleet. So that’s its 4th colour scheme in how many years? Barbie, Badgerline, Discover and now ‘Ambulance Yellow’ as it was described.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It was rumoured the 8 was to be deckered when the Streetlites could only carry 10 people, but whilst the A1 isn’t running moved onto its stop on the Temple Meads incline with the 73 etc.

That reminds me. Saw the A2 yesterday - one passenger for the Airport when I encountered it at Lime Kiln!

I did hear management talking and 66726 is supposedly going into the training fleet. So that’s its 4th colour scheme in how many years? Barbie, Badgerline, Discover and now ‘Ambulance Yellow’ as it was described.

Not quite as bad as that. It was Badgerlined in 2015 so had a few years in that scheme; it did look a bit scuffed towards the end.

Private Baxter

Established Member
If that one is selected for training, it will in fact be its 5th livery. It originally ran in dark blue rail link livery, before being painted into barbie late 2008, then Badgerline 2015 etc...

freetoview33

Established Member
Still not sure if the new "temporary" stop at Temple Meads is happening as that will be for the A1(A2). So would free up space for the 8 long term.