• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I've given this some thought too, and agree I think this is the best of the various brands across our region, although it was a tough call!

It's a subjective thing. I did like it when applied to 69448 and 37003. For some reason, I don't think it looks as good on an e400mmc though but still nice. I also like the Badgerline livery in Weston (and not for misty eyed nostalgia) and the Coaster is good.

However, I prefer the Aquae branding, especially as its also accompanied by internal branding.

The worst ones...? Well, probably the dark red Citylines East. I know a lot won't like the Citylines 24 but I quite like its unashamed brightness.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tommy Walters

Thanks for that GW. So out of the buses stored at Westbury since April 32008 32287 went to Weston, 32014/15/69/70/75/76/83/96 went to Kernow, 66722/27 back in service for the Bath 5, 66732 back in service and 66886 not accounted for and the others still there as you say.

Where are 32279/80/84/85 being kept? Still at Bath?

The worst ones...? Well, probably the dark red Citylines East. I know a lot won't like the Citylines 24 but I quite like its unashamed brightness.

I don't like the "BathCity" blue much. Probably because it hasn't exactly been rolled out much! I think Bath should follow Weston in reinstating the Badgerline brand for city services!

D2007wsm

Established Member
The 2 A3 E200MMCs 67107 and 67108 have returned from their holiday at Bristol Airport and are back in Weston.

Also, 32222 and 32223 have apparently been taken away from Weston.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

I don't like the "BathCity" blue much. Probably because it hasn't exactly been rolled out much! I think Bath should follow Weston in reinstating the Badgerline brand for city services!

For some reason, First have a bit slow in repainting stuff in Bath ;) .

Actually that's a little unfair as they have just done the Aquae deckers and on a dull like today, they do stand out and look smart. They have also done 18 Discover vehicles in 2018 (with 66726 last year), and the various Unibus vehicles (9 bendis and 14 deckers?), so something like 52 branded vehicles?

Other than that, in 8 years, I think they've repainted the following Bath vehicles in standard Urban or Bath City blue:

53806/20
32281/2
65724/6
66722/7/31/3/881-884/941/3 (the last after an overall ad)

I'm sure I've forgotten some but the Bath City brand has appeared to stall?

D2007wsm

Established Member

Personally, rather than the assortment of different brands used by First WoE, I think it should have been Bath, Marlborough Street, Wells and Weston as Badgerline. Hengrove and Lawrence Hill should be City Line using the same design as the current Badgerline livery, but with the base yellow the correct shade with the two tones of green swapped to red and blue. For Badgerline town and city vehicles, they could have adopted a predominantly green version to mirror the plain green Badgerline livery carried by the minibuses.

Whiteway215

Established Member
The last time I saw 32280 was several months ago parked up with other failures at Bath Depot. The tracker says it last ran on 12 Feb which is probably correct.
I can’t say where 79/84/85 are though. Does anyone else know?

Also, 32222 and 32223 have apparently been taken away from Weston.
Presumably as in taken away by Ensign??? Is 33156 still at WM??

Tommy Walters

For some reason, First have a bit slow in repainting stuff in Bath ;) .

Actually that's a little unfair as they have just done the Aquae deckers and on a dull like today, they do stand out and look smart. They have also done 18 Discover vehicles in 2018 (with 66726 last year), and the various Unibus vehicles (9 bendis and 14 deckers?), so something like 52 branded vehicles?

Other than that, in 8 years, I think they've repainted the following Bath vehicles in standard Urban or Bath City blue:

53806/20
32281/2
65724/6
66722/7/31/3/881-884/941/3 (the last after an overall ad)

I'm sure I've forgotten some but the Bath City brand has appeared to stall?

Don't forget 42897/9/910, and their brief stint in Unibus Purple for the U2!

Also not sure that 66731 was repainted at all. 66935/6/40 all received Urban as well, but whether that was done in Bath or elsewhere, I don't know!

The last time I saw 32280 was several months ago parked up with other failures at Bath Depot. The tracker says it last ran on 12 Feb which is probably correct.

I always thought 285 would be a good one to preserve, given how original most of the parts & paintwork still are on it!

swifty

Established Member
I always thought 285 would be a good one to preserve, given how original most of the parts & paintwork still are on it!

I can’t remember off the top of my head, but at least one of that batch has the Badgerline badger etched onto the original glazing in the bottom corners by the BSI kite.

One of the ex Provincial Renown’s we had had the old Provincial logo on the glazing as well.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Don't forget 42897/9/910, and their brief stint in Unibus Purple for the U2!

Also not sure that 66731 was repainted at all. 66935/6/40 all received Urban as well, but whether that was done in Bath or elsewhere, I don't know!

I did forget those three Darts :D Knew I'd have forgotten something notable. Also, I meant 66734, not 66731 :rolleyes: but had forgotten 66940 as well. 66935/6 were repainted at Weston IIRC, who seemed to get a few vehicles repainted....

I can’t remember off the top of my head, but at least one of that batch has the Badgerline badger etched onto the original glazing in the bottom corners by the BSI kite.

You a fan of the Badger logo? :D

Private Baxter

Established Member
It's a subjective thing. I did like it when applied to 69448 and 37003. For some reason, I don't think it looks as good on an e400mmc though but still nice. I also like the Badgerline livery in Weston (and not for misty eyed nostalgia) and the Coaster is good.

However, I prefer the Aquae branding, especially as its also accompanied by internal branding.

It is very subjective of course. I would honestly say there is no brand I particularly dislike. I actually do like the dark red of citylines east, and the lime green is OK too! Agree about the Badgerline too, enjoyed seeing the darts in Weston the other day. Discover is another favourite. The only one perhaps I find a little dull is Excel, though that could just be because I'm sick of seeing it!

Personally, rather than the assortment of different brands used by First WoE, I think it should have been Bath, Marlborough Street, Wells and Weston as Badgerline. Hengrove and Lawrence Hill should be City Line using the same design as the current Badgerline livery, but with the base yellow the correct shade with the two tones of green swapped to red and blue. For Badgerline town and city vehicles, they could have adopted a predominantly green version to mirror the plain green Badgerline livery carried by the minibuses.
Now wouldn't that be nice?! Who knows maybe after a few years when all the various brands have run their course, or it becomes too difficult to keep up with it.

Private Baxter

Established Member
I did forget those three Darts :D Knew I'd have forgotten something notable. Also, I meant 66734, not 66731 :rolleyes: but had forgotten 66940 as well. 66935/6 were repainted at Weston IIRC, who seemed to get a few vehicles repainted....
You're right, at one point Weston had completely eradicated barbie, whilst it was still rife in Bristol and Bath.

freetoview33

Established Member
It is very subjective of course. I would honestly say there is no brand I particularly dislike. I actually do like the dark red of citylines east, and the lime green is OK too! Agree about the Badgerline too, enjoyed seeing the darts in Weston the other day. Discover is another favourite. The only one perhaps I find a little dull is Excel, though that could just be because I'm sick of seeing it!

Now wouldn't that be nice?! Who knows maybe after a few years when all the various brands have run their course, or it becomes too difficult to keep up with it.
Excel is still an improvement over eXpress yourself!

D2007wsm

Established Member

Presumably as in taken away by Ensign??? Is 33156 still at WM??
I don’t know I’m afraid only 32222 and 32223 were mentioned. In the pic I seen of 67107 and 67108 which were parked in front of where the Trident usually is in the ‘naughty corner’ you couldn’t see if it was there, just a Coaster ALX400 by the side of where it was.
Definitely, would have looked better in a less EasyJet esq colour though. Anything is better than ‘Expose Yourself’ though the large X vinyls on the windows were good at providing shade on a sunny day.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Think I was indifferent to Express Yourself, though you're right, Excel is definitely better

Nice photo of 66934 in its new yellow on Steve's site btw. If I didn't know better, i would think it is being prepared for the latest citylines route!

Last edited:

swifty

Established Member
I don’t know I’m afraid only 32222 and 32223 were mentioned. In the pic I seen of 67107 and 67108 which were parked in front of where the Trident usually is in the ‘naughty corner’ you couldn’t see if it was there, just a Coaster ALX400 by the side of where it was.

In the picture I’ve seen of 67107 the rear of 33156 is visible just over the open top section of the ALX400.

You a fan of the Badger logo? :D

How can you tell! It was almost the same as the avatar.

@Whiteway215 - Westbury now has only B7TLs 32003 and 32291 plus B7RLEs 66726, 66943 and 69253.

They’ll all need to be gone by the end of the month.

Tommy Walters

Nice photo of 66934 in its new yellow on Steve's site btw. If I didn't know better, i would think it is being prepared for the latest citylines route!

What I find odd about that photo is how the bus has the socially distanced seating plan/capacity on the side, even though it hasn't seen use in passenger service since the middle of February!

Whiteway215

Established Member
In the picture I’ve seen of 67107 the rear of 33156 is visible just over the open top section of the ALX400.

How can you tell! It was almost the same as the avatar.

They’ll all need to be gone by the end of the month.
That’s what I understand that Westbury closes completely 31 August.

swifty

Established Member
32277 has had the front purple wedge repainted dark red. I’d heard last week that apparently 6 of the 51 plates are being painted, so there must be some truth to it.

Presumably for extras come September?!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
32277 has had the front purple wedge repainted dark red. I’d heard last week that apparently 6 of the 51 plates are being painted, so there must be some truth to it.

Presumably for extras come September?!
Hmmm.... 32073/84/90/93/94 & 32277 as they just disappared, according to Steve White? Dark red for extras down Church Road?

That’s what I understand that Westbury closes completely 31 August.
End of the rent/lease agreement?

Whiteway215

Established Member
Hmmm.... 32073/84/90/93/94 & 32277 as they just disappared, according to Steve White? Dark red for extras down Church Road?

End of the rent/lease agreement?
With respect think you mean 32073/84/93/94/98 32277. (32090 was accident victim, engine donated to 32015. 32090 recently went to Ensign probably for scrap)

End of lease.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Shame about Westbury going - the last outstation, although they are now down to just two routes. D1 and D2 can both be run from Bath, though it seems unlikely the bi-hourly Salisbury extension will survive.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Shame about Westbury going - the last outstation, although they are now down to just two routes. D1 and D2 can both be run from Bath, though it seems unlikely the bi-hourly Salisbury extension will survive.
Yes the D1 and D2 have been run from Bath since about mid April and Westbury only used for storage.

swifty

Established Member

It looks slightly different to the Citylines red and it’s at HE, so possibly Uni dupes when the U1 starts up again? The colour doesn’t look far off the red/maroon used on the E400s.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It looks slightly different to the Citylines red and it’s at HE, so possibly Uni dupes when the U1 starts up again? The colour doesn’t look far off the red/maroon used on the E400s.

Hmmm....all intriguing. If some of the other ones I speculated upon DO indeed get treated and head to HE, it will repeat history as they were similarly treated for the 8 weeks that Wessex competed on the 90.

Bath has traditionally struggled for drivers so moved the D1/D2 does add a bit of extra workload there so a bit of a surprise. Probably thought with just two routes, it was more hassle than it was worth.

Sad though when you remember that they had the 235/236, 260/263, 234, 237, X4-X6 (part), 49 (part), 77/87 (part) plus the Frome and Melksham outstations. I really can see them dropping Salisbury and letting Faresaver have it.

Incidentally, Faresaver still retain their reduced Frome outstation (plus one vehicle at West Ashton).

Last edited:

Private Baxter

Established Member
Now here is the much anticipated sequel to Friday's trip, which was completed yesterday.

On a glorious summer's day (!) I took the train back to Taunton and picked up where I left off. I have always liked Taunton as a town, one of my favourite in Somerset in fact, and though not a tourist town (probably a good thing) is a good base for seeing more of Somerset.... by bus. One thing I didn't see on Friday was the park & ride buses, but did yesterday, in a rather nice orange and purple livery. Last time I was here, they were all in plain white, so a good improvement. But I'm pleased to tell @henairs that my next bus was indeed the 29. My reason for including the 29 in my trip when originally planned in March was the news that it would shortly be withdrawn, so wanted to give it one last go. Luckily, the 29 was saved, but still wanted to include it anyway. My bus was a plain white e200. Not sure if that is a regular on the 29 or not, as we passed a white streetlite going the other way. In years past I was a semi-regular on the 29 to Taunton. Not regular enough unfortunately to keep it in business, but still made occasional trips to the town. Despite being Somerset's county town, the 29 was never able to match the service levels of the 375/377, although it is very different now. They have tried all sorts with the 29, including increasing it to hourly at one point, but it has just not been able sustain that, so is currently running at every two hours (not too different to what it was in the early 2000s). But you can't say they haven't tried.

On to the route itself, it now takes a very different route out of Taunton, increasing the journey by some considerable time. (Okay I think it has been doing that at least six years) I imagine it was re-routed to make-up for a lost local service. It takes us past the depot, which had an interesting array of vehicles inside, and out of the town through housing estates and villages, it really starts off as more of a town service before becoming a country route. But this has always been one of my favourite routes (far better than the 20!) and we made good time across the Somerset Levels towards Street. Now 2020 is not an accurate representation of bus usage by any means, but it is interesting to note that after leaving the start point, we did not stop to pick up, or drop off anyone until Street. As mentioned the other day, the bus served Windmill Hill in Glastonbury, something it has done since 2007 when it was decided to re-route the 375 along the main road due to the size of the buses in use at the time (66716-26). It also, for a period served the hospital at the bottom though I imagine that has long since ceased. And onward to Wells. As said it is now quite a long journey, but I guess demand between the Wells, Glastonbury, Street and Taunton just doesn't justify a quicker route and those who do want to make the journey will have to not mind going the long way round. Anyway I alighted at Wells, wondering if and when I will ever use the 29 again....

Passing the depot, I noticed the various changes the Wetherspoons have made to be covid compliant. They have made a seating area outside the walled garden, offering unrivalled views of the depot.;) Anyway, I had another bus to catch. Back in March, it was 50/50 whether the 173/174 would produce a single or a double, and I would have been happy with whatever came along, with the then imminent departure of the B7RLEs. Now of course no such option, it would almost certainly be a double, which is fine. I didn't mind which Bath service I used (I will do the other one at a later date), as it happened the 173 was first to depart. Now my mistake of the day was not to check the date on the timetables in the bus shelters. I went to the shop, came back to see the 173 leaving earlier than expected. I am of course aware of the change in timetable, but foolishly believed the information was correct. Should have been a bit more 21st century and just check the app in the first place! No matter, I waited for the 174 instead, which when it came was 12 plate e200. I am actually glad of this, as leaving Wells via Dulcote on the upper deck was pretty spectacular, whilst going through Dinder was just a little surreal. Now who have predicted five years ago that deckers would go through Dinder and be taken seriously?! Anyway I like the 174, and if any route needs to be decker operated (purely for scenic purposes!) then it's this one. I will try the 173 on a decker next.

In Bath I had a little wander to see what is about. Quite colourful place with the various brands. Caught up with a couple of the pink streetdecks as well. These must have been here two years now, I'm sure it was only ever temporary. Who knows how much longer they will stay. Anyway my final bus of the trip was an Aquae e400 on the X39, purely to see what they are like. Overall very nice inside, tidy and smart, although I did hit my head twice on the upper deck! Think someone else has warned about that! The information screen wasn't in use, but otherwise a useful feature. And that was it - arrived in Bristol, the trip complete. Apologies for the slight monologue about the 29, just had a bit to say on it. Think that will be my last bus trip for quite some time. There are other routes I would like to do, and will likely develop another trip in the probably fairly distant future, but for now was glad to finally get that one done.

Bath has traditionally struggled for drivers so moved the D1/D2 does add a bit of extra workload there so a bit of a surprise. Probably thought with just two routes, it was more hassle than it was worth.

Sad though when you remember that they had the 235/236, 260/263, 234, 237, X4-X6 (part), 49 (part), 77/87 (part) plus the Frome and Melksham outstations. I really can see them dropping Salisbury and letting Faresaver have it.

Incidentally, Faresaver still retain their reduced Frome outstation (plus one vehicle at West Ashton).
I think when they lost the 234 and other Trowbridge routes its days were numbered. They were able to hold off a little longer by re-working the then 272 and 267 but really there is no reason why they need to be operated that way.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Now here is the much anticipated sequel to Friday's trip, which was completed yesterday.

On a glorious summer's day (!) I took the train back to Taunton and picked up where I left off. I have always liked Taunton as a town, one of my favourite in Somerset in fact, and though not a tourist town (probably a good thing) is a good base for seeing more of Somerset.... by bus. One thing I didn't see on Friday was the park & ride buses, but did yesterday, in a rather nice orange and purple livery. Last time I was here, they were all in plain white, so a good improvement. But I'm pleased to tell @henairs that my next bus was indeed the 29. My reason for including the 29 in my trip when originally planned in March was the news that it would shortly be withdrawn, so wanted to give it one last go. Luckily, the 29 was saved, but still wanted to include it anyway. My bus was a plain white e200. Not sure if that is a regular on the 29 or not, as we passed a white streetlite going the other way. In years past I was a semi-regular on the 29 to Taunton. Not regular enough unfortunately to keep it in business, but still made occasional trips to the town. Despite being Somerset's county town, the 29 was never able to match the service levels of the 375/377, although it is very different now. They have tried all sorts with the 29, including increasing it to hourly at one point, but it has just not been able sustain that, so is currently running at every two hours (not too different to what it was in the early 2000s). But you can't say they haven't tried.

On to the route itself, it now takes a very different route out of Taunton, increasing the journey by some considerable time. (Okay I think it has been doing that at least six years) I imagine it was re-routed to make-up for a lost local service. It takes us past the depot, which had an interesting array of vehicles inside, and out of the town through housing estates and villages, it really starts off as more of a town service before becoming a country route. But this has always been one of my favourite routes (far better than the 20!) and we made good time across the Somerset Levels towards Street. Now 2020 is not an accurate representation of bus usage by any means, but it is interesting to note that after leaving the start point, we did not stop to pick up, or drop off anyone until Street. As mentioned the other day, the bus served Windmill Hill in Glastonbury, something it has done since 2007 when it was decided to re-route the 375 along the main road due to the size of the buses in use at the time (66716-26). It also, for a period served the hospital at the bottom though I imagine that has long since ceased. And onward to Wells. As said it is now quite a long journey, but I guess demand between the Wells, Glastonbury, Street and Taunton just doesn't justify a quicker route and those who do want to make the journey will have to not mind going the long way round. Anyway I alighted at Wells, wondering if and when I will ever use the 29 again....

Passing the depot, I noticed the various changes the Wetherspoons have made to be covid compliant. They have made a seating area outside the walled garden, offering unrivalled views of the depot.;) Anyway, I had another bus to catch. Back in March, it was 50/50 whether the 173/174 would produce a single or a double, and I would have been happy with whatever came along, with the then imminent departure of the B7RLEs. Now of course no such option, it would almost certainly be a double, which is fine. I didn't mind which Bath service I used (I will do the other one at a later date), as it happened the 173 was first to depart. Now my mistake of the day was not to check the date on the timetables in the bus shelters. I went to the shop, came back to see the 173 leaving earlier than expected. I am of course aware of the change in timetable, but foolishly believed the information was correct. Should have been a bit more 21st century and just check the app in the first place! No matter, I waited for the 174 instead, which when it came was 12 plate e200. I am actually glad of this, as leaving Wells via Dulcote on the upper deck was pretty spectacular, whilst going through Dinder was just a little surreal. Now who have predicted five years ago that deckers would go through Dinder and be taken seriously?! Anyway I like the 174, and if any route needs to be decker operated (purely for scenic purposes!) then it's this one. I will try the 173 on a decker next.

In Bath I had a little wander to see what is about. Quite colourful place with the various brands. Caught up with a couple of the pink streetdecks as well. These must have been here two years now, I'm sure it was only ever temporary. Who knows how much longer they will stay. Anyway my final bus of the trip was an Aquae e400 on the X39, purely to see what they are like. Overall very nice inside, tidy and smart, although I did hit my head twice on the upper deck! Think someone else has warned about that! The information screen wasn't in use, but otherwise a useful feature. And that was it - arrived in Bristol, the trip complete. Apologies for the slight monologue about the 29, just had a bit to say on it. Think that will be my last bus trip for quite some time. There are other routes I would like to do, and will likely develop another trip in the probably fairly distant future, but for now was glad to finally get that one done.

I think when they lost the 234 and other Trowbridge routes its days were numbered. They were able to hold off a little longer by re-working the then 272 and 267 but really there is no reason why they need to be operated that way.

Thanks for part 2. No problem in the extended 29 review. I did it about 2 years ago and the experience wasn't much different to yours; it's not exactly a busy route once you leave Creech St Michael which you are right, was a route in its own right. IIRC, it was Webberbus 27 (tendered) until 2014 when BoS took it on commercially as their 26. Of course, it was never commercial but all part of their strategy. The 29 is quite a blast across the levels and I've tended to see it operated by a longer e200 in the main.

As for missing the 173.... I think heading TO Bath that the 174 is the nicer run. You have Dinder and Dulcote and also the run between Oakhill and Stratton (esp Nettlebridge) is good.

In respect of Westbury, the competition and retrenchment from the 234 was a watershed along with the loss of Frome and Trowbridge locals at the same time.

henairs

Thanks Private for another interesting read. As Wazoo says normally either E200 or Streetlite on the two 29 diagrams. You had either 44932 or 933 as those are the only two in dealer white at Taunton.
When I rode the route about a month ago I had one of Taunton's local route branded baby E200s but often it's one of the longer 44/0 series of this class.
Mind you with the loadings I often think I will turn up one day and be offered a tandem for the journey.
Good job most of the route is flat!
Although the 174 takes longer than the 173 over the southern section to Norton it is a pleasant route to travel although I like both ways to be honest.
As you say the X39 E400 MMC's are lovely vehicles for comfort so you experienced 3 examples of travel,
a scenic Cinderella route quite rural in nature, a cross-country route between tourist hotspots (Ah Peasedown) and a busy inter-city link with modern infrastructure.
All the best,
Mike R