• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
A little intresting Facebook snipit. Looks like Alan Peters (Abus) plans on retirement soon, so looks like the 349 will revert back to First.
I wonder if Alan will follow the similar path of Tim Jennings and still keep his hand in a very limited manner like the odd school contract? You can't say that he doesn't deserve to kick back, just a little.

Also, cue a new service number and brand..... If the 126 is supposed to be the Strawberry route, will there be some Frys chocolate theme?

martyjon

Did Johnny chips make it to Bristol Wednesday as he stated Tuesday or did the weather put him off ?

I wonder if Alan will follow the similar path of Tim Jennings and still keep his hand in a very limited manner like the odd school contract? You can't say that he doesn't deserve to kick back, just a little.

Also, cue a new service number and brand..... If the 126 is supposed to be the Strawberry route, will there be some Frys chocolate theme?

FRYS TURKISH DELIGHT maybe !!!!

henairs

How very dare you @henairs - there's the Radstock Museum, the preserved S&D railway at MSN South, the.......plethora of other things that don't spring to mind ;) The dormant volcano at Old Mills (ok, it's an old spoil heap)
Radstock/Norton indeed a treasure trove of forgotten history if I could remember what it was
But yes joking apart I have visited the railway site at the old north station a few times and been impressed y what's been achieved on a limited budget. Managed a trip early in the year on a diesel day when things were normal.
As for the Old Mills ski slope ( might have been ) it made national news over a certain bespectacled politician
a few months back.
Cheers, Mike

swifty

Established Member

He’s loaned the Pink Panther (FD02UKR) back from Chepstow Classic as cover for the 349. It’ll be 30 years of Abus next year and I think he said with all the LEZ gubbins he doesn’t want to invest in a new fleet to replace the ageing DAFs.

I think we’ll see him do another Glastonbury next year and then possibly wrap up.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
He’s loaned the Pink Panther (FD02UKR) back from Chepstow Classic as cover for the 349. It’ll be 30 years of Abus next year and I think he said with all the LEZ gubbins he doesn’t want to invest in a new fleet to replace the ageing DAFs.

I think we’ll see him do another Glastonbury next year and then possibly wrap up.
Good points - the anniversary might be a good time to bow out and yes, the Spectras are getting on and won't meet the emissions regs. Can't think that there's too many Spectras still in use around the country

Whiteway215

Established Member
A local press report recently said Abus would be providing a school bus to Ralph Allen School Bath as First were not going to run the R2.

henairs

Radstock/Norton indeed a treasure trove of forgotten history if I could remember what it was
But yes joking apart I have visited the railway site at the old north station a few times and been impressed y what's been achieved on a limited budget. Managed a trip early in the year on a diesel day when things were normal.
As for the Old Mills ski slope ( might have been ) it made national news over a certain bespectacled politician
a few months back.
Cheers, Mike
Apologies, of course it's Mid Norton South top of hill, North was up Welton end on the Frome to Bristol line.
Mike

D2007wsm

Established Member

Or another operator.
I thought it was a first service just contracted out anyway, like they ran the shuttle when all this kicked off ect.
It is now operated by Abus on behalf of First
Correct, First pay Abus to operate the 349 on their behalf, in a similar manner to Bristol Community Transport and the m1. The Ticketers on the 349 are First Ticketers and the Logo it the top shows both Abus and First. The social distancing measures on the 349s are First branded and even fitted by First.

Personally, I can’t see First developing a brand for the 349, it isn’t that much of a high profile route. If it was branded, I could see it being branded Citylines East and dark red with the 17 serving Keynsham. I’m sure 3 B9s could be repainted.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Traveline shows it as being First from 1/9.
Subcontracted??

Personally, I can’t see First developing a brand for the 349, it isn’t that much of a high profile route. If it was branded, I could see it being branded Citylines East and dark red with the 17 serving Keynsham. I’m sure 3 B9s could be repainted.
Was said tongue in cheek :E

swifty

Established Member
I wondered that, but as the 349 is under Abus on Traveline, and the m1 is under HCT, this being under First made me think they'll be operating it themselves?

Didn’t the same happen last year and it gave the decker a full days work alongside U1 runs?

DaveHarries

Established Member
It is now operated by Abus on behalf of First
I wonder if, when First take back the 349, it will retain the 349 number or maybe become the 38.
Dave

[.....]I really can see them dropping Salisbury and letting Faresaver have it. Incidentally, Faresaver still retain their reduced Frome outstation (plus one vehicle at West Ashton).
Could be. They might do every 2hrs Westbury - Warminster - Salisbury I guess.
Dave

Last edited:

Tommy Walters

Didn’t the same happen last year and it gave the decker a full days work alongside U1 runs?

I was about to mention this! It was the case in 1st semester of Bath Uni last year, that the morning R2 would always be worked by an Abus vehicle (initially SN04CPE, later YE52FHF), which would then go on to do peak hour U1s. In 2nd semester the morning R2 was run by First, again from the U1 allocation. The afternoon R2 has always been run by First, coming off the U2 allocation, as it headed back to the uni straight afterwards for the evening peak!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I wonder if, when First take back the 349, it will retain the 349 number or maybe become the 38.
Dave

Could be. They might do every 2hrs Westbury - Warminster - Salisbury I guess.
Dave
They could do Warminster to Salisbury every two hours with a single vehicle, as was the case when Hatts did the 24. However, don't know how you'd do driver breaks.

DaveHarries

Established Member
They could do Warminster to Salisbury every two hours with a single vehicle, as was the case when Hatts did the 24. However, don't know how you'd do driver breaks.
30-minute break on arrival at Salisbury? Or would that not be enough to satisfy hours regulations?
Dave

swifty

Established Member
I was about to mention this! It was the case in 1st semester of Bath Uni last year, that the morning R2 would always be worked by an Abus vehicle (initially SN04CPE, later YE52FHF), which would then go on to do peak hour U1s. In 2nd semester the morning R2 was run by First, again from the U1 allocation. The afternoon R2 has always been run by First, coming off the U2 allocation, as it headed back to the uni straight afterwards for the evening peak!

Thought that was the case, I used to see them heading back to Bristol along the Keynsham by pass at about 6.30pm.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Thanks for part 2. No problem in the extended 29 review. I did it about 2 years ago and the experience wasn't much different to yours; it's not exactly a busy route once you leave Creech St Michael which you are right, was a route in its own right. IIRC, it was Webberbus 27 (tendered) until 2014 when BoS took it on commercially as their 26. Of course, it was never commercial but all part of their strategy. The 29 is quite a blast across the levels and I've tended to see it operated by a longer e200 in the main.

As for missing the 173.... I think heading TO Bath that the 174 is the nicer run. You have Dinder and Dulcote and also the run between Oakhill and Stratton (esp Nettlebridge) is good.

In respect of Westbury, the competition and retrenchment from the 234 was a watershed along with the loss of Frome and Trowbridge locals at the same time.
There was all sorts going on during the mid 2010s as the operators battled for Taunton. I remember the variosu Webberbus routes though kind of lost track of it all.
Think you're right about 173. Maybe it worked in my favour. When I do eventually get round to doing it I will head towards Wells.
Thanks Private for another interesting read. As Wazoo says normally either E200 or Streetlite on the two 29 diagrams. You had either 44932 or 933 as those are the only two in dealer white at Taunton.
When I rode the route about a month ago I had one of Taunton's local route branded baby E200s but often it's one of the longer 44/0 series of this class.
Mind you with the loadings I often think I will turn up one day and be offered a tandem for the journey.
Good job most of the route is flat!
Although the 174 takes longer than the 173 over the southern section to Norton it is a pleasant route to travel although I like both ways to be honest.
As you say the X39 E400 MMC's are lovely vehicles for comfort so you experienced 3 examples of travel,
a scenic Cinderella route quite rural in nature, a cross-country route between tourist hotspots (Ah Peasedown) and a busy inter-city link with modern infrastructure.
All the best,
Mike R
My pleasure. You're right, it was 933. Made sure to check that, though didn't know there are only two.
And yes, hadn't really looked at it that way but you're right. The X39 was a bonus really, for originally it was merely a means to get home, (I have after all done the route countless times) but the new buses had not yet entered service in March, so that became one benefit of doing the trip later than planned, so that I was able to work that in to the trip.

Frys Chocolate - love it!

Actually I can actually see them taking the opportunity and giving it a new number, and possibly reshaping all services on that corridor. In 2012 the 349 was combined with the 337 and became the 338. Perhaps it will become the 38 once more. Now a controversial suggestion coming up, but could they do the 178 at the same time? The 34 perhaps. They might want to bring the Brislington services a bit more in line with the 1, 34, 36, 38, 39. Right or wrong, it doesn't seem totally out of the question.

Yes the D1 and D2 have been run from Bath since about mid April and Westbury only used for storage.
Of course they have! I imagine there is a lot of dead running with that arrangement

Last edited:

johnnychips

Established Member
Did Johnny chips make it to Bristol Wednesday as he stated Tuesday or did the weather put him off ?

FRYS TURKISH DELIGHT maybe !!!!
Yes I did. The change from just three
years ago is incredible. Then it was First with the odd splash of red Wessex and occasional Abus wreck. Now it’s like a rainbow. The buses look great. I had a walk round St Paul’s and Montpelier where I lived as a student many years ago and got thoroughly lost

Then I had a run to Midsomer Norton. What a hive of activity! All those double deckers with a dinky Frome midibus thrown in. Have extra services been put on because of CV?

Today I got the train to Salisbury then Reds 29 to Shaftesbury and back. This must count as one of the most scenic routes I have taken. Having read about the demise of Westbury outstation, I thought I’d get the D1 back. There were ten on the 1655, which I didn’t think was bad these days, and four more got on in the villages. However, it was the worst bus I’ve been in in a long while. Everything just continually rattled and squeaked really loudly. I suppose the driver is immune to it, but I bailed at Bradford and got the train back to Bristol.
Off for a walk tomorrow from Withywood to Cheddar, so we will see what turns up on the 126.

Private Baxter

Established Member
years ago is incredible. Then it was First with the odd splash of red Wessex and occasional Abus wreck. Now it’s like a rainbow. The buses look great. I had a walk round St Paul’s and Montpelier where I lived as a student many years ago and got thoroughly lost

Then I had a run to Midsomer Norton. What a hive of activity! All those double deckers with a dinky Frome midibus thrown in. Have extra services been put on because of CV?

Today I got the train to Salisbury then Reds 29 to Shaftesbury and back. This must count as one of the most scenic routes I have taken. Having read about the demise of Westbury outstation, I thought I’d get the D1 back. There were ten on the 1655, which I didn’t think was bad these days, and four more got on in the villages. However, it was the worst bus I’ve been in in a long while. Everything just continually rattled and squeaked really loudly. I suppose the driver is immune to it, but I bailed at Bradford and got the train back to Bristol.
Off for a walk tomorrow from Withywood to Cheddar, so we will see what turns up on the 126.
Sounds good so far! I don't know whether Midsomer Norton has seen an increase in service; certainly the 173/174 are running at normal frequency, though the 172 might have increased. Perhaps someone can confirm. The 178 (which I assume you used) wouldn't normally be a decker, that is a result of covid.

Glad you enjoyed the D1 (other than the rattles) and the loadings were reasonable. That is one of my favourite routes. Good luck with the walk tomorrow and the 126.

johnnychips

Established Member
^ Thanks. I did wonder if Salisbury Reds might take over the Warminster to Salisbury section of D1 if First give it up. Their Solos would seem ideal (in normal times) if there are no school runs.

Buses in Bath

Sounds good so far! I don't know whether Midsomer Norton has seen an increase in service; certainly the 173/174 are running at normal frequency, though the 172 might have increased. Perhaps someone can confirm. The 178 (which I assume you used) wouldn't normally be a decker, that is a result of covid.

Glad you enjoyed the D1 (other than the rattles) and the loadings were reasonable. That is one of my favourite routes. Good luck with the walk tomorrow and the 126.
The 172 has increased so there is now a bus from Bath to Midsomer Norton every 10 minutes.

Departures from Bath:
00: 171 - Farrington Gurney & Paulton
10: 173 - Wells
20: 172 - Midsomer Norton
30: 172 - Paulton & Farrington Gurney
40: 174 - Wells
50: 172 - Midsomer Norton

DaveHarries

Established Member
I did wonder if Salisbury Reds might take over the Warminster to Salisbury section of D1 if First give it up. Their Solos would seem ideal (in normal times) if there are no school runs.
Interesting point although they already cover the Salisbury - Stapleford section with Service 2 (Salisbury - Devizes). They could run it as Service 2A though but if they did that then Salisbury - Devizes might be better as an hourly service with the 2 and 2A running half an hour apart on alternate hours.

Dave

johnnychips

Established Member
The 172 has increased so there is now a bus from Bath to Midsomer Norton every 10 minutes.

Departures from Bath:
00: 171 - Farrington Gurney & Paulton
10: 173 - Wells
20: 172 - Midsomer Norton
30: 172 - Paulton & Farrington Gurney
40: 174 - Wells
50: 172 - Midsomer Norton

Just something I’d forgotten: the PIS in the bus shelters in Midsomer Norton just said ‘Bus Station’ without specifying Bath or Wells, but interestingly not Bristol, which just said ‘Bristol’. They seemed to have a similar problem in Bristol where the 376 is shown as going to some street in Street, without saying Street, if that makes any sense at all.

Whiteway215

Established Member

Which particular bus was it that rattled on your D1 ?