• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mendip_Bus

DSC08655.JPG
Out the front of Bath Depot on Saturday 27/03/2021. Visable on the left is 37633 SV08 FXP, in Bath City livery.

Westonian

New timetables for X6 and X7 on First website, with services transferred from Weston to Marlborough Street from 11 April together with some Excel E400's transferred.

freetoview33

Established Member
New timetables for X6 and X7 on First website, with services transferred from Weston to Marlborough Street from 11 April together with some Excel E400's transferred.
Must be to make some room for the new Weston services, If we haven't have had covid, I wouldn't be surprised if we hadn't have had a new depot by now. The site that was formerly earmarked did open a few weeks ago as a Travelodge.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Must be to make some room for the new Weston services, If we haven't have had covid, I wouldn't be surprised if we hadn't have had a new depot by now. The site that was formerly earmarked did open a few weeks ago as a Travelodge.
A new depot where?

TBH, even if it weren't for Covid, I still wouldn't have expected any new depot to be opened. James Freeman floated the idea but squashed it about two years ago.

I don't know how many vehicles are required for the new Weston services but it'll only be 1 or 2 surely? They could simply move the 126 board back to Wells in that case.

It's probably something like trying to minimise the interworking in the excel network to improve resilience, or having spare drivers in Bristol or some other Covid related issue e.g. extra schools work or whatever, rather than the new services having a major impact.

freetoview33

Established Member
A new depot where?

TBH, even if it weren't for Covid, I still wouldn't have expected any new depot to be opened. James Freeman floated the idea but squashed it about two years ago.

I don't know how many vehicles are required for the new Weston services but it'll only be 1 or 2 surely? They could simply move the 126 board back to Wells in that case.

It's probably something like trying to minimise the interworking in the excel network to improve resilience, or having spare drivers in Bristol, rather than the new services having a major impact.
Wasn't at least a parking area planned for just off the ring road opposite side of the ring road to the Shell garage at Willy Wicket? I know the idea went mainly when developers got the land first to build the travelodge.

swifty

Established Member
It's probably something like trying to minimise the interworking in the excel network to improve resilience, or having spare drivers in Bristol or some other Covid related issue e.g. extra schools work or whatever, rather than the new services having a major impact.

Apparently it’s because there’s a surplus of drivers at MH which could give more interworking between routes? I’ve also seen it suggested the 56 plate E400s would move across with the X6/7.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Apparently it’s because there’s a surplus of drivers at MH which could give more interworking between routes? I’ve also seen it suggested the 56 plate E400s would move across with the X6/7.
Seeing the picture which included trainer 66940 parked outside Weston Island Bath depot prompts me to ask if new drivers are still being recruited and trained in these unusual times?

Private Baxter

Established Member
Those routes have moved back and forth between the two depots for years. Several of those buses worked were based in Bristol the last time they had the X6.
As for 126, I've lost track of who does what. I'd forgotten one board is worked by WM. Another one to have switched back and forth.

Citistar

WM are reportedly struggling for staff with the additional town service(s?) and presumably a Summer increased for 1 and 20. 20 may need a greater increase than normal as i believe it is still closed to deckers on account of tree overhangs through Lympsham. NSC are still hunting for an operator to provide service 51 (WsM to Lower Langford) from this Thursday too, so perhaps First will end up with that as well.

126 is currently (and remains from April) a Wells working.

Westonian

d Those routes have moved back and forth between the two depots for years. Several of those buses worked were based in Bristol the last time they had the X6.
As for 126, I've lost track of who does what. I'd forgotten one board is worked by WM. Another one to have switched back and forth.
126 timetable from 11 April has been published (Sunday service added) which shows all 3 boards will still be worked by Wells. Although the X6/X7 are lost from Weston, there should be an increased frequency on the 1 and 20 for the summer - 2 open tops and 39005 in the depot yard ready (39005 waiting for Badgerline vinyls). Weston is short of drivers and I believe the only depot recruiting.

swifty

Established Member
Seeing the picture which included trainer 66940 parked outside Weston Island Bath depot prompts me to ask if new drivers are still being recruited and trained in these unusual times?
Someone like @THarris123 may be better placed to answer but I don’t believe Bath are yet? They’ll probably need more drivers once the Uni services ramp up though.

At least one of the WoE B7 trainers is also on loan in Weymouth at the moment.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
WM are reportedly struggling for staff with the additional town service(s?) and presumably a Summer increased for 1 and 20. 20 may need a greater increase than normal as i believe it is still closed to deckers on account of tree overhangs through Lympsham. NSC are still hunting for an operator to provide service 51 (WsM to Lower Langford) from this Thursday too, so perhaps First will end up with that as well.

126 is currently (and remains from April) a Wells working.
I thought the plan was that Weston were going to get a board full time; it's difficult to keep up. Wonder if it will ever become the Strawberry (which I confess never grabbed me as a great idea).

I guess the 20 may need to have an enhanced frequency if there's single deckers on there; again, I mention the example a few years ago when BoS had it as the 21 and the B7Ls would appear as they had insufficient deckers and I was on one absolutely rammed before we got into Uphill.

Those routes have moved back and forth between the two depots for years. Several of those buses worked were based in Bristol the last time they had the X6.
Quite - the changes with both those sets of routes seem to have been frequent over the last few years, almost rivalling the 318/319/332 as was

D2007wsm

Established Member
I believe it was 33412/413/419 which were transferred to Marlborough Street before, these were the 3 which were painted in Urban not Expose yourself.

D2007wsm

Established Member
I thought the plan was that Weston were going to get a board full time; it's difficult to keep up. Wonder if it will ever become the Strawberry (which I confess never grabbed me as a great idea).

I guess the 20 may need to have an enhanced frequency if there's single deckers on there; again, I mention the example a few years ago when BoS had it as the 21 and the B7Ls would appear as they had insufficient deckers and I was on one absolutely rammed before we got into Uphill.

Quite - the changes with both those sets of routes seem to have been frequent over the last few years, almost rivalling the 318/319/332 as was
I agree on the 20, when BoS operated it with singles they used full size B7Ls. If they cannot use deckers on the 20s this year Streetlites and Darts will definitely not cope with social distancing in place with 16 seats. They struggled last year, even with a dupe put in place.

Correct - it was those ones. Tbf, they seldom strayed onto other routes
I did see one coming down Park Street one day on a 2.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I agree on the 20, when BoS operated it with singles they used full size B7Ls. If they cannot use deckers on the 20s this year Streetlites and Darts will definitely not cope with social distancing in place with 16 seats. They struggled last year, even with a dupe put in place.

I did see one coming down Park Street one day on a 2.
I'm sure you did see one. They did very occasionally get onto other routes but otherwise, they tended to stay on the X6.

I'm not sure what First will do if they have social distancing and singles on the 20.... It'll almost need a 10 min headway given the focus on domestic holidays (if not more)

Private Baxter

Established Member
The Strawberry Route.... another scheme i had completely forgotten about. I wonder what the original plan had been, and like you, wonder whether it is still some distant plan....
However, I was quite keen to see the scheme go ahead.

Jj79

Weston Excels using the coach park as their terminus. Apparently if you want to travel to sea front you can transfer onto a 3 or a 7 which were/ are stopping in the coach park as well.

(Image below shows three Excel-liveried ADL E400s)

Attachments

• IMG_20210331_135259.jpg
    IMG_20210331_135259.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:

freetoview33

Established Member
So the new Weston-super-Mare network is as follows

1: Grand Pier - Sand Bay (Every 30 mins)
2: Marine Parade - South Road (Every 60 mins)
3: Worle - Searle Crescent (Every 15 mins)
4: Marine Parade - Bleadon (Every 60 mins)
5: Worle - Hutton (Every 60 mins)
6: Marine Parade - Worlebury (Every 60 mins)
7: Worle - Haywood (Every 15 mins)
20: Weston Station - Burnham (Every 30 mins)
126: Weston Station - Wells (Every 60 mins)

Details are at: (Hope this is linked correctly!)

Oscar M

I wonder if a new network map for Weston-super-Mare will be included with these changes.

Westonian

Weston Excels using the coach park as their terminus. Apparently if you want to travel to sea front you can transfer onto a 3 or a 7 which were/ are stopping in the coach park as well.
Only the 3 is calling at Locking Road car park, not the 7. Excel X1 and X5 are diverted into Worle Sainsburys to connect with town services.

Oscar M

Only the 3 is calling at Locking Road car park, not the 7. Excel X1 and X5 are diverted into Worle Sainsburys to connect with town services.
Is this because of the construction of the new bus hub on Regent Street?.

Whiteway215

Established Member
A question for my Bristol forum friends. Are the B7RLEs required on 72/a because of clearance at Temple Meads or anywhere else on the route?

Buses in Bath

A question for my Bristol forum friends. Are the B7RLEs required on 72/a because of clearance at Temple Meads or anywhere else on the route?
They used to be but now the stop has moved so deckers can be used and have been. There's rumours it will go full double deckers if / when the streetdecks return to Bristol

freetoview33

Established Member

For reference the 4 is a one 1 bus working and the 2 + 6 interwork with one bus