• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whiteway215

Established Member
They used to be but now the stop has moved so deckers can be used and have been. There's rumours it will go full double deckers if / when the streetdecks return to Bristol
I don't know what the plan is but could it be the Streetdecks will return to Hengrove once the Aberdeen B9s enter service in Bath?

freetoview33

Established Member
I don't know what the plan is but could it be the Streetdecks will return to Hengrove once the Aberdeen B9s enter service in Bath?
I doubt it will happen as there are quite a few frequency increases in Bath in the next few weeks. So I think they might still be needed until the uni year is over.

Whiteway215

Established Member
66181 in Bath depot in white marked NHS COVID 19 Vaccination Service as a mobile vaccination unit.
Edit. Just a thought Weymouth had Bath’s 66938 for use as a trainer which replaced their trainer 66181.
So Bath has 66181 in exchange but is now a vaccination bus!!!

Jj79

For reference the 4 is a one 1 bus working and the 2 + 6

So the new Weston-super-Mare network is as follows

1: Grand Pier - Sand Bay (Every 30 mins)
2: Marine Parade - South Road (Every 60 mins)
3: Worle - Searle Crescent (Every 15 mins)
4: Marine Parade - Bleadon (Every 60 mins)
5: Worle - Hutton (Every 60 mins)
6: Marine Parade - Worlebury (Every 60 mins)
7: Worle - Haywood (Every 15 mins)
20: Weston Station - Burnham (Every 30 mins)
126: Weston Station - Wells (Every 60 mins)

Details are at: (Hope this is linked correctly!)
Just to let you know that the route details / maps are now showing on the travel West website as well.

Last edited:

Buses in Bath

It seems they have not spaced out the buses serving the Weston General Hospital very well as both the 4 and 5 both due to arrive at the hospital at 50 minutes past the hour and the 20 arrives at 43 minutes past the hour. That is a shame. Missed opportunity.
I think you've misread it because the 4 is shown as just outbound and the 20 is going to be every 30 minutes

Towards Hutton, Bleadon and Burnham they stop at the Hospital at
20: 13 past the hour
4: 30 past the hour
20: 43 past the hour
5: 50 past the hour
so it is spaced out very well actually (longest wait is 23 minutes)

Towards Weston they stop at the Hospital at
20: 17 past the hour
5: 20 past the hour
20: 47 past the hour
4: 50 past the hour
so not as well spaced out but could be worse (longest wait is 27 minutes)

Mendip_Bus

I thought I'd attach three photos from Thursday.
32282 made an unusual appearance on an evenings 178.
39460 is back, though missing some vynils.
37587 in Citylines 75 & 76.

Attachments

• DSC09271-1.jpg
    DSC09271-1.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 78
  • DSC09210.jpg
    DSC09210.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_20210403-012817_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210403-012817_Photos.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
Last edited by a moderator:

Whiteway215

Established Member
Rumour alert?
Has anyone on here knowledge of Wessex Water 44902/3 passing to Red Eagle Buses of Dinton, Aylesbury.
Also has 32288 been disposed of from Bristol?
Thanks

Buses in Bath

Rumour alert?
Has anyone on here knowledge of Wessex Water 44902/3 passing to Red Eagle Buses of Dinton, Aylesbury.
Thanks
44902/3 have gone to Red Eagle. Aparently there are new buses replacing them but i havent heard anything about what type they are or when they are coming in (though i assume Monday for obvious reasons)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Rumour alert?
Thanks
I saw 32288 in Bristol last week - it seemed odd to see it amongst the raft of Geminis and Enviro 400s, which says something when ALXs were so commonplace at the start of 2020.

swifty

Established Member
44902/3 have gone to Red Eagle. Aparently there are new buses replacing them but i havent heard anything about what type they are or when they are coming in (though i assume Monday for obvious reasons)

They went at the beginning of the month, I’d heard there will only be two replacements? There was a picture of them in the depot on twitter but linking to it is to much of a faff.

I saw 32288 in Bristol last week - it seemed odd to see it amongst the raft of Geminis and Enviro 400s, which says something when ALXs were so commonplace at the start of 2020.
32288 should be off fleet, 32281/2 & 9 were still around last week though.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
32288 should be off fleet, 32281/2 & 9 were still around last week though
Having had so many native 2003 ones (and the odd W reg) plus ex Leicester and London ones just over a year ago, it’s quite the transformation.

On a completely unrelated subject, I’ve been in Bath today and seen a few Unibus e400mmc - what a state they’re in. Replacement panels, poor colour matching, missing logos - they look terrible for buses only 4.5 years old.

Buses in Bath

Can anyone confirm if 32340 and 32342 are on the 20 today? Maybe they're going to use double deckers but not open tops (seeing how busy it gets) or is it temporary?

Last edited:

Westonian

Can anyone confirm if 32340 and 32342 are on the 20 today? Maybe they're going to use double deckers but not open tops (seeing how busy it gets) or is it temporary?
Haven't seen either on the 20, but I saw 32342 running 'Not in Service' not long ago which would tie in with the return leg of the 1805 Weston to Burnham. Interesting development. Also 69253 arrived at Weston from Hengrove.

Last edited by a moderator:

swifty

Established Member
Having had so many native 2003 ones (and the odd W reg) plus ex Leicester and London ones just over a year ago, it’s quite the transformation.

On a completely unrelated subject, I’ve been in Bath today and seen a few Unibus e400mmc - what a state they’re in. Replacement panels, poor colour matching, missing logos - they look terrible for buses only 4.5 years old.
It certainly is - especially when the ex Leicester ones were repainted again last year! The smarter 2003 batch really didn’t show their age, I’ll certainly miss them.

I’ve seen a few recently and thought the same, presumably more damage is being caused by their extra length on country routes? The P&R and Unibus batches in Bristol still look smart.... the 65 plate 1&2 branded E400s are starting to look a little care worn though.

Private Baxter

Established Member
It certainly is - especially when the ex Leicester ones were repainted again last year! The smarter 2003 batch really didn’t show their age, I’ll certainly miss them.

I’ve seen a few recently and thought the same, presumably more damage is being caused by their extra length on country routes? The P&R and Unibus batches in Bristol still look smart.... the 65 plate 1&2 branded E400s are starting to look a little care worn though.
Those Bath uni bus ones are often taken out on excursions for rail replacement work, so that could partly explain it. Haven't noticed so much on the 1&2 buses, though all being well, they should hopefully get a repaint within the next year or two.

Citistar

BusTimes suggests that the new Weston town service 2 is missing out the section of route via Atlantic Road / Shrubbery Avenue / Tower Walk / Shrubbery Avenue, instead diverting via Madiera Road / Birnbeck Road / Upper Church Road. The section of route via High Street and Bristol Road Lower is also not being operated.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Those Bath uni bus ones are often taken out on excursions for rail replacement work, so that could partly explain it. Haven't noticed so much on the 1&2 buses, though all being well, they should hopefully get a repaint within the next year or two.
I'm more inclined to go with @swifty's view that it might be to do with their use on country work such as various Mendip Explorer or the D1x routes where their extra length may be an issue. Certainly, the similar aged ones on Bristol P&R look in much better nick. I don't know if the colour matching is poor on the Bath ones or if the paint fades quicker than the factory baked examples but they look a right mess.

These are typical (credit to photographers)

On 33947, you can see the obvious panel minus the logo but the n/s corner has also clearly been, and think the o/s and panel beneath the cab window are also replacements. 33948 is even more glaring.

The 65 plate ones don't look too bad but there is the odd scuff etc

Westonian

BusTimes suggests that the new Weston town service 2 is missing out the section of route v goia Atlantic Road / Shrubbery Avenue / Tower Walk / Shrubbery Avenue, instead diverting via Madiera Road / Birnbeck Road / Upper Church Road. The section of route via High Street and Bristol Road Lower is also not being operated.
Yes I can confirm that it is missing out Paragon Road, Trinity Church and Shrubbery as I've seen one journey this morning. Seems like its make it up as you go. It defeats the main object of the service and is no replacement for the C2. I was unaware of the High Street and Lower Bristol Road being left out as well. Travelwest shows the service going via Shrubbery etc but First have now uploaded a map with their timetable showing the route being taken. I have tried to find information on North Somerset website without any luck as I presume this along with the 4 and 6 are tendered services.

Citistar

Yes I can confirm that it is missing out Paragon Road, Trinity Church and Shrubbery as I've seen one journey this morning. Seems like its make it up as you go. It defeats the main object of the service and is no replacement for the C2. I was unaware of the High Street and Lower Bristol Road being left out as well. Travelwest shows the service going via Shrubbery etc but First have now uploaded a map with their timetable showing the route being taken. I have tried to find information on North Somerset website without any luck as I presume this along with the 4 and 6 are tendered services.
Operators who bid on the contracts for 2/4/6 (B1/C1/C2 as were) were told that the services were being operated commercially.

swifty

Established Member
Haven't seen either on the 20, but I saw 32342 running 'Not in Service' not long ago which would tie in with the return leg of the 1805 Weston to Burnham. Interesting development. Also 69253 arrived at Weston from Hengrove.
The trees were reported to have been cut back and deckers were used yesterday to test. I assume 69253 is on loan for some additional capacity on the 20 vs Streetlites and Darts?

It’s more the diesel spills and mismatched Bristol fleet names/panel colours on these now. To be fair they are 6 years old though!

Whiteway215

Established Member
Good to see a decker out and about on Bath's 20a/c Twerton short workings this morning. Having said that there were no passengers on board! It was 33945 doing the honours and I had even forgotten where the fleet number was carried on the back!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I'm more inclined to go with @swifty's view that it might be to do with their use on country work such as various Mendip Explorer or the D1x routes where their extra length may be an issue. Certainly, the similar aged ones on Bristol P&R look in much better nick. I don't know if the colour matching is poor on the Bath ones or if the paint fades quicker than the factory baked examples but they look a right mess.

These are typical (credit to photographers)

On 33947, you can see the obvious panel minus the logo but the n/s corner has also clearly been, and think the o/s and panel beneath the cab window are also replacements. 33948 is even more glaring.

Being 11.5M they have a longer wheelbase and thus pretty poor turning circle, you'll find the same panels frequently getting damaged on 11.5/11.8M E200MMCs too!