• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Apologies for the quietness from me; as I live in Cheltenham now I don't venture to First territory anymore (have Stagecoach now instead!), however its a lovely surprise to see 39408, 39413, 39447, 44520, 47568, 67107, 69503 and 69505 at Gloucester on rail replacement duties today!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Callum15632

Apologies for the quietness from me; as I live in Cheltenham now I don't venture to First territory anymore (have Stagecoach now instead!), however its a lovely surprise to see 39408, 39413, 39447, 44520, 47568, 67107, 69503 and 69505 at Gloucester on rail replacement duties today!
Do you know why first were running rail replacement from Bristol Parkway/Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester/Patchway/Filton Abbey Wood? There were pictures on Facebook that there was 36814, 39413/407/447,44520/47568,67107,69503/5 on Rail replacements to Gloucester Non Stop and Stopping at All Stations. 39430 was also on Rail Replacement between Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway. 47440 was on Rail Replacement between Bristol Parkway and Patchway.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Do you know why first were running rail replacement from Bristol Parkway/Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester/Patchway/Filton Abbey Wood? There were pictures on Facebook that there was 36814, 39413/407/447,44520/47568,67107,69503/5 on Rail replacements to Gloucester Non Stop and Stopping at All Stations. 39430 was also on Rail Replacement between Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway. 47440 was on Rail Replacement between Bristol Parkway and Patchway.
Bristol to Cheltenham closed for engineering works. CrossCountry services from Scotland/the North to Bristol and the south diverted via Gloucester and Newport.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
This isn't actually in excel orange, or awaiting branding I believe. 37335 used to be in the citylines 2 branding in Bristol, but has been debranded now it is in Weston.
Correct - it wore an overall wrap and was then requiring repaint after its removal. It then was the first and only recipient of the all over Citylines 2 livery and yes, it has debranded. It looks similar but it's not Excel base colours

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Will any of the B9TLs remain at Weston once all the Streetdecks have been delivered?
It's difficult to surmise what's going on.

You have a number of e400s rendered surplus obviously, a number of new Streetdecks coming (with differing reports on numbers) and then the potential for PVR reductions depending on changes to services. There's a lot of moving parts.

Whether it's e400s or B9s, they are of the appropriate age profile for the Badgerline routes. I really can't see new Streetdecks pootling around on the 7 or 20.

Callum15632

It's difficult to surmise what's going on.

You have a number of e400s rendered surplus obviously, a number of new Streetdecks coming (with differing reports on numbers) and then the potential for PVR reductions depending on changes to services. There's a lot of moving parts.

Whether it's e400s or B9s, they are of the appropriate age profile for the Badgerline routes. I really can't see new Streetdecks pootling around on the 7 or 20.
Do you know when Weston's new Streetdecks will arrive? Sorry for putting you on the spot but just asking if you knew. And are they for Excel not Badgerline?

Just heard on a Facebook group that 33940 is now in first urban spare like 33935, 33941, 36809, 36814, 36815, 36822, 36823, 36824 and 39449, 39491 and 39492.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam Bryant 1

I did the full Bath to Salisbury run on the D1 on Wednesday and there were 11 passengers onboard (including myself) on arrival in Salisbury on the 9.45 from Bath and 9 on departure from the New Canal stop dropping to 3 or 4 by Boreham Fields in Warminster.

It’s rumoured that Salisbury Reds will run a D1 to/from Salisbury and Warminster to connect into the D1 to Bath.
Apparently, Warminster - Salisbury will be numbered 24 and the contract went out for tender last week. So no operator as of yet.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I did the full Bath to Salisbury run on the D1 on Wednesday and there were 11 passengers onboard (including myself) on arrival in Salisbury on the 9.45 from Bath and 9 on departure from the New Canal stop dropping to 3 or 4 by Boreham Fields in Warminster.

Apparently, Warminster - Salisbury will be numbered 24 and the contract went out for tender last week. So no operator as of yet.
So a restoration of the situation from 2008-2013? when Hatts ran the 24 (as did Go Ahead on a short term basis)

Some Weston town service changes from 30/01/2022: https://www.firstbus.co.uk/bristol-...ed-changes/weston-super-mare-surrounding-area
First West of England’s Managing Director Doug Claringbold said:

“These changes are designed to improve the performance of several key routes whilst ensuring that, with the ongoing impact of the Omicron variant on staffing levels, services are at a level of frequency that we can deliver more reliably.

“We continue to do our utmost to deliver a high level of service and to work with North Somerset Council to manage the network through these challenging times. All services are, of course, subject to constant review and if the situation with staffing levels, customer demand and government restrictions changes, we will take that into account.

“As always, we’d like to thank all our customers for their patronage, and for their compliance with the current rules around face coverings as we seek to keep everyone moving safely.”

For full details of all timetable changes, please visit new timetables (available soon) before your journey.

Service 2: Town Centre – South Road Timetable & route map coming soon
Due to extremely low customer demand, Service 2 will reduce to every 120 minutes, Monday to Saturday.

Service 3: Worle – Searle Crescent Timetable & route map coming soon

The timetable has been amended to improve punctuality and reliability. In light of ongoing, nationwide driver shortages also impacting Weston-super-Mare services, the frequency will temporarily reduce to every 20 minutes, Monday to Friday, and every 30 minutes on Saturdays.

Service 4: Town Centre – Bleadon Timetable & route map coming soon

Due to extremely low customer demand, Service 4 will reduce to every 120 minutes, Monday to Saturday.

Service 6: Town Centre – Worlebury Timetable & route map coming soon

Due to extremely low customer demand Service 6 will reduce to every 120 minutes, Monday to Saturday.

Service 7: Worle – Haywood Village Timetable & route map coming soon

The timetable has been amended to improve punctuality and reliability. In light of ongoing, nationwide driver shortages also impacting Weston-super-Mare services, the frequency will temporarily reduce to every 20 minutes, Monday to Friday, and every 30 minutes on Saturdays.

Service X1: Weston-super-Mare – Bristol Timetable & route map coming soon

The timetable has been amended to improve punctuality and reliability.

Services X3, X3a and X4: Bristol – Portishead Timetable & route map coming soon

Following a review of services to Portishead, working closely with North Somerset Council, Services X3, X3a and X4 will be replaced with a new Service X4 which will operate every 30 minutes during the main part of the day Monday to Saturday, with a reduced frequency on evenings, Sundays and Public Holidays.

Service X4 will operate from Bristol via Hotwells, Abbots Leigh, Ham Green, Pill, Easton-in-Gordano, Sheepway, Sainsbury’s, Harbour Road, High Street, Combe Road, Avon Way, Weatherley Drive loop (Police HQ), Nore Road, West Hill, Avon Way then onward to Bristol.

The new Service X4 will not operate via Portishead Marina. This follows continued issues over a number of years with parked vehicles disrupting buses and delaying the service. Customers can use Portishead local bus services provided by another operator which will continue to run via the Marina, or the stops on Harbour Road and Quays Avenue for the new Service X4.

Service X5: Bristol – Portishead – Weston-super-Mare Timetable & route map coming soon

As part of the review of services working closely with North Somerset Council, Service X5 will also be altered to provide a more direct route between the North Somerset Towns and improve its punctuality and reliability. A stop on the Portway will be added to allow customers to interchange onto services to Avonmouth & Cribbs Causeway.

The new route will operate from Bristol via Hotwells, Portway (stopping at the Akeman Way bus stop on Portway only), Sheepway, Sainsbury’s, Harbour Road, High Street, Gordano School, Clevedon Road, Weston-in-Gordano, Walton-in-Gordano, Clevedon Hospital, Old Street, Great Western Road, Old Church Road, Salthouse Fields, Southern Way, Central Way, M5 then the current route into Weston-super-Mare with the same route on journeys towards Bristol.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Temporary contract awarded until April for the service 24 so I'm told, not sure at the moment I can say who it actually is as information was via someone else, but apparently it isn't GSC Salisbury Reds...

There’s a minor curiosity in the Sunday timetable for outbound workings of the 44 and 45; up to and including the 1030 departure from the city centre both services are shown terminating at the Butchers Arms, but do not appear to be turning around there.

matt_splat

I would say the 24 will be operated by beeline..... I wonder if the second bus required at peak times could run off the back of the town busses

Buses in Bath

There’s a minor curiosity in the Sunday timetable for outbound workings of the 44 and 45; up to and including the 1030 departure from the city centre both services are shown terminating at the Butchers Arms, but do not appear to be turning around there.
Yeah its a mistake. Theres a couple on the 4/4a/4b timetable showing them going to Falconer Road when they terminate at Haviland Park. Probably others too but those are the only ones ive looked at in detail.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I would say the 24 will be operated by beeline..... I wonder if the second bus required at peak times could run off the back of the town busses
Have you heard something?

Would be quite a step up for Beeline who only have one vehicle generally running on the local routes, and that looks fairly well utilised; a full day with, I might suggest, a school contract integrated with it and a late morning break for the driver. The town buses are run by Frome Bus but that's integrated with the 53 IIRC

FWIW, the flows support an operator at the Warminster end of the route, hence why historically Wilts and Dorset outbased two vehicles in Warminster. I'd think that Faresaver might be a better bet (from their Frome outstation). FromeBus only Solos so don't know if that would suffice for the tender. Interesting days.

Citistar

FWIW, the flows support an operator at the Warminster end of the route, hence why historically Wilts and Dorset outbased two vehicles in Warminster. I'd think that Faresaver might be a better bet (from their Frome outstation). FromeBus only Solos so don't know if that would suffice for the tender. Interesting days.

The only thing which would concern me about Faresaver is that Salisbury becomes a long way away from any support. I think Frome are rather overstretched at the moment as they have temporarily reduced their commitments on some of their existing contracts (notably the Melksham town services 14/15 and the Maiden Bradley shoppers services 80-83).

I don't know how essential Wiltshire consider the 0700 ex Salisbury journey. If there is more than one vehicle working to be utilised, then there is always the possibility of an operator from either end. Wiltshire have always been adept at juggling resources to find efficiency.

M803UYA

Would be quite a step up for Beeline who only have one vehicle generally running on the local routes, and that looks fairly well utilised; a full day with, I might suggest, a school contract integrated with it and a late morning break for the driver. The town buses are run by Frome Bus but that's integrated with the 53 IIRC

Beeline have been part of South West Coaches for over a year now, so them taking on a two bus tender isn't completely beyond the realms of possibility. They do have spare vehicles available too which could work the route and a prior relationship with Wiltshire Council so I'd be surprised if they'd not submitted a tender.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The only thing which would concern me about Faresaver is that Salisbury becomes a long way away from any support. I think Frome are rather overstretched at the moment as they have temporarily reduced their commitments on some of their existing contracts (notably the Melksham town services 14/15 and the Maiden Bradley shoppers services 80-83).

I don't know how essential Wiltshire consider the 0700 ex Salisbury journey. If there is more than one vehicle working to be utilised, then there is always the possibility of an operator from either end. Wiltshire have always been adept at juggling resources to find efficiency.
Wiltshire has always had a very pragmatic approach to their operators.

As for Faresaver, I take your point. They did operate the X67 from Frome to Bath for years despite it being some distance from Bumpers Farm but it's a fair point. As for FromeBus, I wasn't seriously suggesting them even though they have a random set of routes across Somerset and Wiltshire, and you'd wonder about how operators will cover many routes in the near future.
Beeline have been part of South West Coaches for over a year now, so them taking on a two bus tender isn't completely beyond the realms of possibility. They do have spare vehicles available too which could work the route and a prior relationship with Wiltshire Council so I'd be surprised if they'd not submitted a tender.
I keep forgetting that the Hayball's sold up. In that case, perhaps they might fancy it. Don't know if they have spare vehicles but the depot certainly has space.

volvob12

I keep forgetting that the Hayball's sold up. In that case, perhaps they might fancy it. Don't know if they have spare vehicles but the depot certainly has space.
It is Beeline that will be operating the 24, there’s a Wiltshire CC timetable floating around social media.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It is Beeline that will be operating the 24, there’s a Wiltshire CC timetable floating around social media.
In that case, it goes back to the "have you heard something" on #29754 :D

It is still a step up for Beeline but good luck to them. They've always been a good coach firm and guess that SWC purchased them with a view to expansion.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member

Well I heard it last week I've seen it been posted on Facebook so yes, I had it confirmed they are doing the 24, I believe utilising their Enviro 200, with a bus or two coming from South West Coaches to cover the other diagram and the Warminster - Sutton / Town stuff