• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

THarris123

Established Member
Why are they cr@p Solos? 53204 is actually pretty decent! Goes well!

I don't get the feeling that First are really into buying Solos. I think Bath's ones will soldier on a bit longer.

Little bit surprised that a couple of B7Ls are now at Weston; back there after a gap of several years :)

I'm sure they're very nice, but they're older than the 05 batch and they're oddities - and you know how I feel about oddities in depots :)

We'll see what happens with the solos. Think if First were operating routes like 672 and 669, solos would be about a bit, but as there isn't much of that sort of work left at First now, solos see the back door :(

When will we see a B7l on X2/3?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I'm sure they're very nice, but they're older than the 05 batch and they're oddities - and you know how I feel about oddities in depots :)

We'll see what happens with the solos. Think if First were operating routes like 672 and 669, solos would be about a bit, but as there isn't much of that sort of work left at First now, solos see the back door :(

When will we see a B7l on X2/3?

53204 is one of the Cummins ones so goes better; think that's why it's been on the 179 fairly often. Would be nice if First did get some tendered stuff but I think they've got challenges on the costs and, to be honest, if they're struggling for drivers, they'll want to cover their core stuff. Think that maybe the reason the 87/88 got binned.

As for a B7L on X2/3, there's every chance though suspect they'll be hidden on the 7.

DS85

I have only seen e400s and the B7tl on the 20 so far so surely this is leaving them 2 deckers short for the X1/5/6 and w1. As for the b7l on the x2/3 wont happen they had to stop the full sized singles going around the marina because off the awful tight roads around there. Glad to see less solos in bath the 10 was desperate for something bigger often saw it full and standing.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I have only seen e400s and the B7tl on the 20 so far so surely this is leaving them 2 deckers short for the X1/5/6 and w1. As for the b7l on the x2/3 wont happen they had to stop the full sized singles going around the marina because off the awful tight roads around there. Glad to see less solos in bath the 10 was desperate for something bigger often saw it full and standing.

The use of B7Ls SHOULDN'T happen ;) Certainly WM are taking no chances with extensive use of e200s:lol:

THarris123

Established Member
Yeah. I wonder if the 70 may return to LH?

I also think the 24 may go over to LH soon enough.

Don't think so. Hengrove would lose so much work. With the P&R coming, they have 10/11 vehicles worth of work. They've lost 5 from 5. If they were to lose 24 or 70, they would see a significant drop in PVR and LH wouldn't that much work back anyway.

baza585

Do we know specifically what deckers have been sent down to Weston for 20? Is it just the Bath Uni ones or is there Bristol stuff too?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Best news is that Bath have got rid of the cr*p solos! 50318, 53102/3, 53204 all withdrawn - I assume heading elsewhere - Kernow?

Why do you assume that any other opco would want Bath's tat?

Why would profitable Kernow be forced to take tat from unprofitable FSA? Surely it should be the other way round? I'm sure Bath could do with some non DDA T reg Tridents............................

And by the way 53204 isn't tat; a decent Cummins engined Solo last time I travelled on it.

We'll have that one in FHD land thank you (now our engineers have fettled the last load of e200 MPD tat we got from Bath), but not the others.........

Whiteway215

Established Member
More observations in Bath today
This morning 50318 was on the 4. (Quick return to service!)

Late afternoon 32015 entering bus station-destination showing 'Racecourse'
42895 on 10, 42897/99 on 14, 42900 on 19 (new allocation to BH?) 53806 on 178 and 53401 on 174.

The 10 was being run with 42895 42925 44524 53807 53811.

THarris123

Established Member
More observations in Bath today
This morning 50318 was on the 4. (Quick return to service!)

Late afternoon 32015 entering bus station-destination showing 'Racecourse'
42895 on 10, 42897/99 on 14, 42900 on 19 (new allocation to BH?) 53806 on 178 and 53401 on 174.

The 10 was being run with 42895 42925 44524 53807 53811.

Interesting that there was a solo on 178.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Don't think so. Hengrove would lose so much work. With the P&R coming, they have 10/11 vehicles worth of work. They've lost 5 from 5. If they were to lose 24 or 70, they would see a significant drop in PVR and LH wouldn't that much work back anyway.

Well I think they could deal with the 24. Perhaps not the 70 however I do feel there is a lot of dead mileage running to/from Southmead.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Well I think they could deal with the 24. Perhaps not the 70 however I do feel there is a lot of dead mileage running to/from Southmead.

Hengrove to Southmead is only 4 miles further than from LH. Also, HE is two miles closer to Ashton Vale than LH so not a massive difference.

However, I think that LH would struggle to accommodate the 18 additional vehicles (think that's vaguely the pvr??).

stait.john

Small point but the 5 is actually a MH route now (slightly lower wage cost)

33571 did move HG-WM in readiness for the 20, but I've not seen any other decker transfers into WM (32003 is surely just a loan?)

PVR for the 24 is 16, 70/71 is 11 (plus an extra peak bus) so 12. Can't see this moving from HG just yet but you never know! The 72 might have made more sense to move to LH but they've installed all the kit for the electric buses at Hengrove!

John

THarris123

Established Member
Small point but the 5 is actually a MH route now (slightly lower wage cost)

33571 did move HG-WM in readiness for the 20, but I've not seen any other decker transfers into WM (32003 is surely just a loan?)

PVR for the 24 is 16, 70/71 is 11 (plus an extra peak bus) so 12. Can't see this moving from HG just yet but you never know! The 72 might have made more sense to move to LH but they've installed all the kit for the electric buses at Hengrove!

John

I suspect 32003 is a loan for the summer timetable and will be withdrawn in September. Is Hengrove going to receive anything this year (cascades?), which might then push out the last few E400s to Weston?

Didn't think of 72 - that wouldn't have done much damage to Hengroves vehicle requirement; but as you say the equipment has been installed there.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I suspect 32003 is a loan for the summer timetable and will be withdrawn in September. Is Hengrove going to receive anything this year (cascades?), which might then push out the last few E400s to Weston?

Didn't think of 72 - that wouldn't have done much damage to Hengroves vehicle requirement; but as you say the equipment has been installed there.

I don't think WM will need all of HE's e400s especially when the 20 drops back down to a two vehicle working. Also, if reports are true, there will be another 9 heading up from Kernow when their new fleet arrives.

I'd agree - 32003 is probably a loan for the summer and student numbers in Bath are dropping off so hence it's spare.

CD

Both ex Worcester Solos 53045/46 now on Taunton Town services.
DDA conversion MPDs 42821/22/23 all on Taunton Town services.

Streetlite 55105 MX62 AXN has replaced the one that has accident damage.

There is an unadvertised duplicate running to 0735 77 from Yeovil and 1644 77 from Wells to cater for Stode College. They run dead to and from Taunton. These run via Charlton Mackerell as the college 377 used to.

matt_splat

just received this

BREAKING: Somerset Council confirms that Webber Bus - the county's second largest bus operator - will cease operating from tomorrow morning due to financial difficulties.
The Council says it will step in to cover dozens of important bus routes tomorrow morning 'at very short notice'.
The company has yet to comment - but one councillor in the area has already called it 'devastating news'.

THarris123

Established Member
just received this

BREAKING: Somerset Council confirms that Webber Bus - the county's second largest bus operator - will cease operating from tomorrow morning due to financial difficulties.
The Council says it will step in to cover dozens of important bus routes tomorrow morning 'at very short notice'.
The company has yet to comment - but one councillor in the area has already called it 'devastating news'.

Is that serious? Wonder what First will do.

That's not devastating news. First run all of their services anyway.

CD

Is that serious? Wonder what First will do.

That's not devastating news. First run all of their services anyway.
As long as BoS do not reduce their services in frequency now there is no competition. Maybe reinstate the 375 and 102 with council support?

The morning 54s to Taunton are busy enough now even as they run alongside a 38. They will be F&S without the 38.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Yippee that there's now lots of men and women without a job and unable to put food on the table. Yippee indeed. Thoughts to those driving colleagues, no matter what uniform we wear, we're all the same.

THarris123

Established Member
It's devastating if you work for them. Whatever you may think about an operator, there are people involved with bills to pay and no income.

Oh considerably, can't agree more.

If they go to First though they'll be better paid and treated better in theory.

It is ashame to see them go to a certain degree and i'm a bit unsure of why they're going bust as of tomorrow morning, but i truly hope we'll see some differences with First.

Who will operate 67? Could be very interesting.

matt_splat

from what i gather a lot of staff had been jumping ship of late and im sure first will take people on if work loads increase,

if anything i think some routes may need to change something will need to be done about the 375 section maybe wells doing it for a bit we shall see.

first south west have experience of picking up when other companies go and i'm sure they will do the same in somerset

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Not a surprise - was obvious enough with the financials weakening despite all these shiny new vehicles. Details on who will do what on this link (sorry it's the mobile one http://m.yeovilexpress.co.uk/news/14489750.BREAKING__One_of_Somerset_s_main_bus_companies_folds/

Be under no illusion; this is a lot to sort out for SCC so whilst there's already workings on some First services, there's a lot of other and schools services!

Nice to see the 375 disappeared for all of 4 days!!

One word though - hope the drivers and maintenance staff a) get their outstanding wages and b) get new jobs sharpish. I imagine FSW Official is a busy man (or woman) at the mo