• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BBC

They will get mixed up on the route though.

Like the blue E400MMCs will end up on the 49 as well as the 48 etc.

Highly doubt it somehow, it's been plastered in graffiti! :lol:

The blue E 400s were always intended for the 49/48/48a....as they have 48/9/48a written on the side....

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
The blue E 400s were always intended for the 49/48/48a....as they have 48/9/48a written on the side....

I don't understand why the Streetlites have only been designed for the 8 when the 8/9 have always been interlinked? Unless these are now classed as separate services?

swifty

Established Member
I don't understand why the Streetlites have only been designed for the 8 when the 8/9 have always been interlinked? Unless these are now classed as separate services?

I'm happy to be corrected but I'm fairly sure they haven't interworked for about a year now. They certainly haven't whilst I've been using them daily since January.

Last edited:

D2007wsm

Established Member
So far I've not seen the new lettering on any Bristol vehicles, all the ones I've photographed in the last week have had First Somerset and Avon legals, including today. Maybe only the country fleet has been done so far?
There are A1 B7RLEs out with the new legal lettering today

DaveHarries

Established Member
Evening all. Noticed heading up the Bath Road this afternoon at around 1650hrs was an ALX400 on Service 376 to Wells! Not sure which one it was but it was one of the 322xx series.

Dave

THarris123

Established Member
Evening all. Noticed heading up the Bath Road this afternoon at around 1650hrs was an ALX400 on Service 376 to Wells! Not sure which one it was but it was one of the 322xx series.

Dave

32283 - still in Wells. Not too sure what Streetdecks are off the road though at the moment. It was heading out of Coxley towards Bristol yesterday morning. 35160/1/2 were all present on 376. Over the last week all but 35165 were seen in service, so it might be something has gone off the road recently. My other guess is that they're keeping 32283 back in time for Glastonbury and thought they might use it and sort out some of the issues with the Streetdecks.

DaveHarries

Established Member
It'll go to whoever wins whatever tender the council issue.
Indeed. According to a Facebook group, however, the word on the street with regards to Service 18 is that "Stagecoach are interested in it, and have been for a very long time" so a bid from them would probably be forthcoming.

Dave

Marc

the 18 thing stinks. they only did it to get rid of wessex from that and 501 502 then they withdraw from it. none of 18 501 502 was ever commercial just like all the other south glos stuff they did commercial then cut back again - 81 82 to wootton 87 88!! ridiculus!!

Private Baxter

Established Member
I agree I think Stagecoach will be the most likely candidate to operate it alongside their new 77. I don't know a great deal about the 18, I have used sections of it a couple of times, and has never seemed particularly busy, but was obviously considered popular enough for new streetlites to be put on the route a couple of years ago. I understand however that peak services on the route are generally very busy, in each direction though this is just from word of mouth. As it happens I shall shortly start using the service on weekly basis (most Saturdays anyway) fairly soon but fear that will not be enough to save it!

A couple of possible consequences from the loss of the 18:
The 19A gets renumbered 18
All streetlites move to Weston.

carlberry

Established Member
Indeed. According to a Facebook group, however, the word on the street with regards to Service 18 is that "Stagecoach are interested in it, and have been for a very long time" so a bid from them would probably be forthcoming.

Dave

I'd rather hoped that Stagecoach management had better things to worry about than some minor route in Bristol! Perhaps they've pulled out of Megabus Gold to ensure the 18 has sufficient drivers and management time devoted to it! (However it might divert attention from trying to run Thamesdown off the road with a fleet of old darts)

swifty

Established Member
the 18 thing stinks. they only did it to get rid of wessex from that and 501 502 then they withdraw from it. none of 18 501 502 was ever commercial just like all the other south glos stuff they did commercial then cut back again - 81 82 to wootton 87 88!! ridiculus!!

I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has to be honest, they tried to get rid after 6 months at the beggining when the 19 was quickly dumped. Ever since it's always been a bit of a dead duck like the X18 was although I guess Metrobus roadworks can't have helped matters.

swifty

Established Member
I'd rather hoped that Stagecoach management had better things to worry about than some minor route in Bristol! Perhaps they've pulled out of Megabus Gold to ensure the 18 has sufficient drivers and management time devoted to it! (However it might divert attention from trying to run Thamesdown off the road with a fleet of old darts)

Quite! This whole Stagecoach things becoming quite hysterical....

carlberry

Established Member

So First shouldnt try anything new then?
Does the same apply to Wessex (1, 2, 3, 90) ?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I agree I think Stagecoach will be the most likely candidate to operate it alongside their new 77. I don't know a great deal about the 18, I have used sections of it a couple of times, and has never seemed particularly busy, but was obviously considered popular enough for new streetlites to be put on the route a couple of years ago. I understand however that peak services on the route are generally very busy, in each direction though this is just from word of mouth. As it happens I shall shortly start using the service on weekly basis (most Saturdays anyway) fairly soon but fear that will not be enough to save it!

A couple of possible consequences from the loss of the 18:
The 19A gets renumbered 18
All streetlites move to Weston.

The 18 in fairness does do well between Little Stoke and Downend. I saw one journey leaving UWE at 1pm a few weeks back pretty much full and standing.

Can't comment on the Southmead Hospital - Henbury and Downend to Emersons Green section but I think First ought to focus on the middle section. If it all goes tits up it only leaves the 19 as the main service between Downend and Parkway (and we all know what the 19 is like!).

Private Baxter

Established Member
I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has to be honest, they tried to get rid after 6 months at the beggining when the 19 was quickly dumped. Ever since it's always been a bit of a dead duck like the X18 was although I guess Metrobus roadworks can't have helped matters.
How long has the 18 been going? Anyone know?
The 18 in fairness does do well between Little Stoke and Downend. I saw one journey leaving UWE at 1pm a few weeks back pretty much full and standing.
Yes that's pretty much the section I will be using soon. The more popular bits will likely be replaced.

Colly405

Maybe the 18 at UWE was busy as First reduced the frequency to hourly in April.

This route has run in various forms for years (578/579/570, 517/518, 18/19, 501/502). Usually subsidised, it has been commercial at times, but I remember a few years back First did exactly the same thing and threatened to withdraw the commercial operation, and it ended up subsidised.

Private Baxter

Established Member
32283 - still in Wells. Not too sure what Streetdecks are off the road though at the moment. It was heading out of Coxley towards Bristol yesterday morning. 35160/1/2 were all present on 376. Over the last week all but 35165 were seen in service, so it might be something has gone off the road recently. My other guess is that they're keeping 32283 back in time for Glastonbury and thought they might use it and sort out some of the issues with the Streetdecks.
Yes, I saw this at the back of the depot yesterday evening (right side of the shed), and one of the pink dual door B7s on the other side. Think that's the first time I've ever seen one in Wells. I think you're right in that they will be using extras for Glastonbury again.
Maybe the 18 at UWE was busy as First reduced the frequency to hourly in April.

This route has run in various forms for years (578/579/570, 517/518, 18/19, 501/502). Usually subsidised, it has been commercial at times, but I remember a few years back First did exactly the same thing and threatened to withdraw the commercial operation, and it ended up subsidised.
Thank you for explaining!