• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
They may run them from Lawrence Hill or Hengrove, as has been done in previous years. Last year the X3/X3A/X4 ran from Lawrence Hill using Weston Drivers, as I believe the 39 did with Bath Drivers. With Lawrence Hill providing maintenance support for everything.

The only buses which came out of Weston Depot was the 2 Streetlites for the A3, with supervisory and maintenance support provided by Bristol. The drivers had their meal breaks and driver change overs at the Airport rather than Weston.

This is the first year I've ever known the X1 to run on Boxing Day, though up until a few years ago New Years Day was generally a Sunday service with the 353/W1 taking the reins.

Looks like the 376 is 4 x Wells vehicles with the drivers taking their breaks in Bristol.

Are the X1s being done by Weston?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D2007wsm

Established Member
Looks like the 376 is 4 x Wells vehicles with the drivers taking their breaks in Bristol.

Are the X1s being done by Weston?

The A3/X1/X4/X7 will be Weston Drivers, it's not clear whether the buses will come from Weston or Lawrence Hill.

The 2 A3 E200s MMCs (Or a Streetlite if required) will come out of Weston due to the airport contract and the early start/late finish of the vehicles. The first bus going out around 02:45 and the last bus returning around 01:00. Drivers will be given access to the depot to do this.

Wells vehicles are easier to access, due to the depot layout which is unlike the others. 4 or how many needed vehicles can just be taken from the forecourt as they should be fulled ready on return to the depot Christmas Eve.

Shame the Boxing Day timetables isn't a single book as it was last year, unless they are still being produced but split for online.
A complete booklet of the Christmas and New Year leaflets should be being produced in due course in PDF and printed form.

-Colly405-

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Unusual vehicle on the 173 then 172 this evening. 30875 left Bath well loaded at around 17-30. Should have been an interesting trip over the Mendips seeing it was in the scrap compound at Penzance in the summer!
You missed my #21135? :'( I had the same thoughts especially in terms of comfort!

It was on all day. I passed on a 174 in the morning at the Red Lion at Odd Down and again on the inbound 173 working to Bath (on Bath Road in Radstock) about 1645 that you say leaving Bath

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The A3/X1/X4/X7 will be Weston Drivers, it's not clear whether the buses will come from Weston or Lawrence Hill.

The 2 A3 E200s MMCs (Or a Streetlite if required) will come out of Weston due to the airport contract and the early start/late finish of the vehicles. The first bus going out around 02:45 and the last bus returning around 01:00. Drivers will be given access to the depot to do this.

Wells vehicles are easier to access, due to the depot layout which is unlike the others. 4 or how many needed vehicles can just be taken from the forecourt as they should be fulled ready on return to the depot Christmas Eve.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I see the Southampton bus blog http://sotonbus.blogspot.com/ has finally jumped the shark. It's always been implicitly pro-Go South Coast, and sometimes with very good reason to, such as the Brock College debacle.

However, the most recent "editorial" had this about First increasing certain fares...

"From 28th November, fares are going up, but curiously only on routes 6 and 8 and only on journeys starting or ending outside of the city boundary. This means that passengers in Netley, Hamble, West End and Hedge End (who have no other choice) are being disproportionately punished for the mess that First have made for themselves locally. For now, day and period tickets are staying the same, but it's occasional travellers who buy single or return tickets who will be clobbered.

This eagerness to put up fares in those areas and not in Southampton suggests that First are struggling to make ends meet locally and know that they can't increase fares in the city because almost all of their passengers now have a viable alternative offered by Bluestar."

This is less than TWO weeks since Bluestar began competing on the Weston corridor!!

DaveHarries

Established Member
This means that passengers in Netley, Hamble, West End and Hedge End (who have no other choice) are being disproportionately punished for the mess that First have made for themselves locally.
Not quite so. Those areas all have train stations within reach, albeit only hourly, and I think those get a reasonable amount of use.

Dave

Whiteway215

Established Member
You missed my #21135? :'( I had the same thoughts especially in terms of comfort!

It was on all day. I passed on a 174 in the morning at the Red Lion at Odd Down and again on the inbound 173 working to Bath (on Bath Road in Radstock) about 1645 that you say leaving Bath
Sorry GW I had missed your 21135 about 30875. It was on again today. Then saw 32286 very closely followed through Oldfield Park by growling 32287 on the 1. Must have been expecting large crowds from Southdown heading for the Bath Christmas market!!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Sorry GW I had missed your 21135 about 30875. It was on again today. Then saw 32286 very closely followed through Oldfield Park by growling 32287 on the 1. Must have been expecting large crowds from Southdown heading for the Bath Christmas market!!

No worries ;) I too saw 30875 on the 173 today. 32338 was also on the 174 - crikey, it's noisy. o_O

henairs

Unusual vehicle on the 173 then 172 this evening. 30875 left Bath well loaded at around 17-30. Should have been an interesting trip over the Mendips seeing it was in the scrap compound at Penzance in the summer!
Hi All,
30875 was on 1345 173 Wells to Bath this afternoon and I had a nice cozy run on it to Midsomer Norton. Back seat downstairs well padded with nice warmth from engine.
Presume those trees that were to be lopped have been done now as no problems along line of route.
Other Bath ones enjoying the western Mendips were 44526 on 126 and 53811 on the Axbridge to Cheddar shuttle service.
Cheers, Mike R

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Hi All,
30875 was on 1345 173 Wells to Bath this afternoon and I had a nice cozy run on it to Midsomer Norton. Back seat downstairs well padded with nice warmth from engine.
Presume those trees that were to be lopped have been done now as no problems along line of route.
Other Bath ones enjoying the western Mendips were 44526 on 126 and 53811 on the Axbridge to Cheddar shuttle service.
Cheers, Mike R

Probably walked past you Mike - was in Norton, got to car and saw 30875 in Radstock!

henairs

Probably walked past you Mike - was in Norton, got to car and saw 30875 in Radstock!
Hi Wazoo,
I would have been there at 1420 ish when I went for a coffee in Jackarandas or similar name along by the Somer river. Then I caught the 1445 173 back to Wells so a brief visit.
Cheers, Mike

baza585

Not quite so. Those areas all have train stations within reach, albeit only hourly, and I think those get a reasonable amount of use.

Dave

Not so. West End has no station, and both Hedge End and Hamble stations are right on the edge of the settlements and nowhere near their centre. Netley gets well used, but not Hamble. Hedge End has no direct trains to Southampton anyway.................

TGW is spot on with his criticism of the SotonBusBlog. I generally don't bother to read it now because of its laughable pro-GSC bias, but did so on this occasion. I would merely point out that the new adult return fare from Southampton to Hedge End superstores is £4.00 on First, compared to the equivalent fare for the same journey (albeit by a slightly quicker route) on GSC of £6.20. I'm glad someone has pointed this out, but I don't expect anything to change, and the blog is only worth reading if you need a good laugh.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Not so. West End has no station, and both Hedge End and Hamble stations are right on the edge of the settlements and nowhere near their centre. Netley gets well used, but not Hamble. Hedge End has no direct trains to Southampton anyway.................

TGW is spot on with his criticism of the SotonBusBlog. I generally don't bother to read it now because of its laughable pro-GSC bias, but did so on this occasion. I would merely point out that the new adult return fare from Southampton to Hedge End superstores is £4.00 on First, compared to the equivalent fare for the same journey (albeit by a slightly quicker route) on GSC of £6.20. I'm glad someone has pointed this out, but I don't expect anything to change, and the blog is only worth reading if you need a good laugh.

Looks like I've driven some traffic to it judging by the comments on there

carlberry

Established Member
30877 pressed into use on the Bath park and rides this afternoon. Eventually made it up to Lansdown (not helped by having to stop at nearly every stop) however it was clearly expecting an easier retirement!

swifty

Established Member
36216 is on the 42A this evening and another from that batch was on the 75 earlier.

Luk3y

36216 is on the 42A this evening and another from that batch was on the 75 earlier.
Would be interesting to know if They still have pulse branding and Leeds all over them. Could imagine a few puzzled faces seeing that coming up the road.

BBC

Would be interesting to know if They still have pulse branding and Leeds all over them. Could imagine a few puzzled faces seeing that coming up the road.
Yes they do, Iv just seen one at LH. Does anyone know why they are still here ?

carlberry

Established Member
Yes they do, Iv just seen one at LH. Does anyone know why they are still here ?
It's possible that First Bristol are keeping them. The Filton Bank rail replacements are still operating for a couple of weekends so, I assume, this means they can return more some of the hired in buses (as the Unibuses etc are available at weekends as well).

carlberry

Established Member
Details of the Christmas and New Year Services are available online at https://www.firstgroup.com/bristol-...es/christmas-and-new-year-bus-services-201819.

Interestingly, the 376, X1 and X7 are running on Boxing Day but not on New Years Day.
The 376 will be covered by vintage buses again this year. http://www.classicbuses.co.uk/events.html now refers to it however the linked website hasn't been updated yet. I believe it'll be 7 journeys in each direction with duplicates on most, however please check the final details!

BBC

It's possible that First Bristol are keeping them. The Filton Bank rail replacements are still operating for a couple of weekends so, I assume, this means they can return more some of the hired in buses (as the Unibuses etc are available at weekends as well).

Maybe they are I don’t know I’ll try and see if I can talk to someone about them at some point !

swifty

Established Member

Some of the Dawson rentals are still here as a few gold Tridents were on the UoB open day shuttles today.

D2007wsm

Established Member
There was one parked on the back wall in the Bus Station this afternoon complete with 'Pulse' branding.

There was red London branded double deckers operating on Rail Replacement services parked near Temple Meads this morning.

There was also the blue double deckers operating on various regular services.