• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Is there any reason why they haven’t proceeded with the brand as yet?
Think it's more to do with the vehicle shortage with vehicles on loan from Dawson Rentals as well as Hampshire and the deferment of disposing of some elderly Kernow B7TLs.
Infequently used destination displays; there is one journey a week on the 19 which terminates at Warmley (16:00 Sat from Cribbs Causeway) and shows 'Warmley Tennis Court'.
There is one journey a day (15:30 Mon to Fri from the Centre) on the 36 which extends to Brislington (Stockwood Road) and shows 'Brislington St Brendan's'.
And there are the two T3 journeys to Aztec West (Mon to Fri).
Are there any other destinations of FWE buses that are displayed infrequently?

What about this one which was - Warminster for Codford - a short working of an evening https://www.flickr.com/photos/77751...NKY-RYPvLY-KTVNgM-CLhUH4-xh9qRn-MZDZ4X-xh3g1U

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tommy Walters

Infequently used destination displays; there is one journey a week on the 19 which terminates at Warmley (16:00 Sat from Cribbs Causeway) and shows 'Warmley Tennis Court'.
There is one journey a day (15:30 Mon to Fri from the Centre) on the 36 which extends to Brislington (Stockwood Road) and shows 'Brislington St Brendan's'.
And there are the two T3 journeys to Aztec West (Mon to Fri).
Are there any other destinations of FWE buses that are displayed infrequently?

Bath 5 to Twerton Bridge (Journeys at the end of service).
Bath 1/U1 to Brougham Hayes (Shown by buses returning to depot after serving Oldfield Park).

D2007wsm

Established Member
Is there any reason why they haven’t proceeded with the brand as yet?
I believe they are concentrating on finishing repainting the Weston Badgerline fleet before moving onto the South Glos Lynx fleet. They may also be looking for something to replace the older B7RLEs used by Marlborough Street as out of the ex Mendip Explorer B7RLES received, all are used on the 177 & 178 except the sole vehicle painted into South Glos Lynx livery. Last summer, the older B7RLES did prove quite troublesome.

The shortage of deckers is also pretty evident at Lawrence Hill due to the majority of the 70/71 Streetdecks being used on the P&R services in Bath. The 70/71s having to use Gemini’s or whatever else is available. In fact one of the 5 branded Darts was on a 71 this evening.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Infrequently used destination displays.
Padleigh Turn (Bath U2 from Un of Bath short working before returning to depot)

freetoview33

Established Member
I believe they are concentrating on finishing repainting the Weston Badgerline fleet before moving onto the South Glos Lynx fleet. They may also be looking for something to replace the older B7RLEs used by Marlborough Street as out of the ex Mendip Explorer B7RLES received, all are used on the 177 & 178 except the sole vehicle painted into South Glos Lynx livery. Last summer, the older B7RLES did prove quite troublesome.

The shortage of deckers is also pretty evident at Lawrence Hill due to the majority of the 70/71 Streetdecks being used on the P&R services in Bath. The 70/71s having to use Gemini’s or whatever else is available. In fact one of the 5 branded Darts was on a 71 this evening.
Yes, I think the most important task for FWoE is to sort out the Bath P&R.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I'd assumed that the older Eclipses (mainly in barbie) would move on last year together with the oldest deckers but clearly that's been hampered by the Wessex exit, the Bath uni uplift, and 6 Bath deckers being laid up - is there any information on their repowering?

Has the shortage of deckers has delayed the full conversion of the Wells to Bath corridor to B9TLs (assuming that was the plan) and that has delayed the reallocation of those remaining Eclipses to Lawrence Hill?

66939 was working the 2 tonight when seen in Whiteladies Road and 47571 was working the 177.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Last summer I sent FWE a genuine query email about service changes. That was automatically acknowledged and they quoted a reply should come back within 14 days. I'm still waiting for a reply.
Is this the usual standard or was I just unlucky?

D2007wsm

Established Member
I'd assumed that the older Eclipses (mainly in barbie) would move on last year together with the oldest deckers but clearly that's been hampered by the Wessex exit, the Bath uni uplift, and 6 Bath deckers being laid up - is there any information on their repowering?

Has the shortage of deckers has delayed the full conversion of the Wells to Bath corridor to B9TLs (assuming that was the plan) and that has delayed the reallocation of those remaining Eclipses to Lawrence Hill?

66939 was working the 2 tonight when seen in Whiteladies Road and 47571 was working the 177.
No new news on the Bath Hybrids, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was until after the new financial year.

I would imagine as more Gemini’s are released they will be Mendip Explorered and moved onto Wells. A couple of the batch sent to Wells were used for the U2 instead.

The 177 is a curiosity, it is supposed to be a Mendip Explorer liveried B7RLE, however between it’s morning trip in and its afternoon trip out, it sits on the back wall. If a bus is required this will be used, then another found for the 177. That is probabaly why there was a Streetlite on the 177 this afternoon.

More Gemini’s should become available when the supposed gas buses arrive.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
No new news on the Bath Hybrids, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was until after the new financial year.

I would imagine as more Gemini’s are released they will be Mendip Explorered and moved onto Wells. A couple of the batch sent to Wells were used for the U2 instead.

The 177 is a curiosity, it is supposed to be a Mendip Explorer liveried B7RLE, however between it’s morning trip in and its afternoon trip out, it sits on the back wall. If a bus is required this will be used, then another found for the 177. That is probabaly why there was a Streetlite on the 177 this afternoon.

More Gemini’s should become available when the supposed gas buses arrive.

Indeed, the late 177 is supposed to be but seldom is one of 69439-42.

You’re probably right on the e400Hs - mind you, wondering what the plan is for them given the contract was initially awarded until Sep 2020.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Last summer I sent FWE a genuine query email about service changes. That was automatically acknowledged and they quoted a reply should come back within 14 days. I'm still waiting for a reply.
Is this the usual standard or was I just unlucky?

I'm guessing its the usual standard as I sent a genuine enquiry to both First York and to First West Yorkshire, got the auto message back on both occations and heard nowt since. I do wonder if First's messaging system has been centralised to Leeds instead of being direct to the OpCo themselves?

D2007wsm

Established Member
Indeed, the late 177 is supposed to be but seldom is one of 69439-42.

You’re probably right on the e400Hs - mind you, wondering what the plan is for them given the contract was initially awarded until Sep 2020.
If they are rengined, if they are no longer required for the P&R services they could be used to supliment the Excel fleet or be used as an inroad to get rid of some of the older, unrefurbished ALX400s.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Another infrequent destination is the 1715 M-F Severn Express which goes to Magor instead of Newport.

Class 33

Established Member
What's with all these bloody single deckers on the 70 & 71 now?! Seems about half of them are single deckers! Shortage of double deckers again? Despite yet more double deckers from other parts of the country being brought in recently! I just don't get it!

Should be very soon now we get a preview of the April or May changes coming up. Though I'm not expecting any major changes this time. Some interesting changes for September maybe.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
What's with all these bloody single deckers on the 70 & 71 now?! Seems about half of them are single deckers! Shortage of double deckers again? Despite yet more double deckers from other parts of the country being brought in recently! I just don't get it!

Should be very soon now we get a preview of the April or May changes coming up. Though I'm not expecting any major changes this time. Some interesting changes for September maybe.

Because there are six Bath P&R e400s laid up awaiting repowering and remaining hybrids aren’t exactly reliable so 8 x Streetdecks are there at the moment and have been since Sep/Oct.

Then you have the additional deckers required for the U2/R2. Also, the 36 and 96 appear to be all deckers now. This is despite extra deckers coming in.

Mind you, don’t know if the 50/50a/2a being combined into 91/92 has also meant deckers are needed on those now whereas the 2a was often Eclipses.

freetoview33

Established Member
Because there are six Bath P&R e400s laid up awaiting repowering and remaining hybrids aren’t exactly reliable so 8 x Streetdecks are there at the moment and have been since Sep/Oct.

Then you have the additional deckers required for the U2/R2. Also, the 36 and 96 appear to be all deckers now. This is despite extra deckers coming in.

Mind you, don’t know if the 50/50a/2a being combined into 91/92 has also meant deckers are needed on those now whereas the 2a was often Eclipses.
I believe the 91/92 are all double deckers now too.

As I said the most important thing is to sort out what is going to be on the Bath P&R's long term, as we seem to be heading back to a situation where we have a substandard 70 and 71 again!

D2007wsm

Established Member

The 96 was 2 Streetlites today.

The X5 also had a Streetlite on it, with a B7RLE on the Weston 7.

Luk3y

Saw earlier what appears to be the slow coaster trident in mendip explorer livery parked in the paint shop in Avonmouth .........

Whiteway215

Established Member
Saw earlier what appears to be the slow coaster trident in mendip explorer livery parked in the paint shop in Avonmouth .........
I see Steve White is also reporting 33156 at the paint shop. Is it because FWE are very short of deckers (which has been discussed lately)which has resulted in the need to repaint a non-standard fleet member like this Trident?

Private Baxter

Established Member
Random question, whatever happened to the 49A? It seemed to just disappear, or I did I miss something? Is it a summer only service?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I see Steve White is also reporting 33156 at the paint shop. Is it because FWE are very short of deckers (which has been discussed lately)which has resulted in the need to repaint a non-standard fleet member like this Trident?

I guess it depends what livery it's being painted into? Wouldn't be a bad shout to repaint a few of these as U2 extras?

Marcus Fryer

Random question, whatever happened to the 49A? It seemed to just disappear, or I did I miss something? Is it a summer only service?
I seem to remember it ran during the summer vacation at UWE, when a reduced service operates on the 48A, to provide the same service level between the city and Fishponds.

Luk3y

My bad, 33156 is now in coaster livery, looked very similar to mendip explorer in the dark!

Whiteway215

Established Member
My bad, 33156 is now in coaster livery, looked very similar to mendip explorer in the dark!
I thought these Tridents were only on loan from FHD but they seem destined to have a slightly longer career with FWE. I believe FHD have withdrawn all their Tridents of a similar age so presumably won't want them back?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I thought these Tridents were only on loan from FHD but they seem destined to have a slightly longer career with FWE. I believe FHD have withdrawn all their Tridents of a similar age so presumably won't want them back?
With the B9s from Green Line all painted and displacing Omnidekkas, and the reduced amount of schools work in Hampshire, I guess they're surplus to requirements.

Bit of a surprise but needs must, I guess.

D2007wsm

Established Member
With the B9s from Green Line all painted and displacing Omnidekkas, and the reduced amount of schools work in Hampshire, I guess they're surplus to requirements.

Bit of a surprise but needs must, I guess.
If a normal bus was to be painted for the Coaster, I think it would have made more sense to paint a W reg 320** ALX400 to have a common Coaster fleet, this would also have stopped another model of bus being introduced into Weston depot. This would have made it easier for spares and maintenance. The older ALX400s seem to cope on the 1 and 20 as they are both relatively flat routes and where there is an incline, they are short and the gradient isn’t that great. The only problem is the drivers do not like them in wet weather as they leak.

The Trident in an unbranded form, could easily have been used in Bath on the Uni services until another ALX400 or Gemini could be found.

A delivery of new buses is in order, particularly deckers as over recent years all the new buses introduced have been for special and contract services e.g Bath/Bristol Unibus, Bristol P&R, Bristol/Weston Flyer, Bris/Portway P&R and Metrobus. The last new buses introduced for scheduled services was the 48/48A/49 Fishponds Road corridor services. If a few singles could be sourced either Streetlites or longer E200s, these could replace the last few Darts and could also replace the longer Streetlites on Bath City services which could make an inroad into replacing the older B7RLEs.

With the changes in April, hopefully buses will be freed up to allow some cascades.

SarahDFIG

Yous are suppose to be getting our airport e200 mmc's from Glasgow once their replacements arrive (e400 city). Rumoured darts are coming our way

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
If a normal bus was to be painted for the Coaster, I think it would have made more sense to paint a W reg 320** ALX400 to have a common Coaster fleet, this would also have stopped another model of bus being introduced into Weston depot. This would have made it easier for spares and maintenance. The older ALX400s seem to cope on the 1 and 20 as they are both relatively flat routes and where there is an incline, they are short and the gradient isn’t that great. The only problem is the drivers do not like them in wet weather as they leak.

The Trident in an unbranded form, could easily have been used in Bath on the Uni services until another ALX400 or Gemini could be found.

A delivery of new buses is in order, particularly deckers as over recent years all the new buses introduced have been for special and contract services e.g Bath/Bristol Unibus, Bristol P&R, Bristol/Weston Flyer, Bris/Portway P&R and Metrobus. The last new buses introduced for scheduled services was the 48/48A/49 Fishponds Road corridor services. If a few singles could be sourced either Streetlites or longer E200s, these could replace the last few Darts and could also replace the longer Streetlites on Bath City services which could make an inroad into replacing the older B7RLEs.

With the changes in April, hopefully buses will be freed up to allow some cascades.

Don't know about repainting the W regs. Good vehicles that they've been, they're 19 years old and are really showing their age. It's ok for the open toppers as they're only used for 4 months a year but not for the year round service. I might have been better to repaint and refurbish the last of the Barbie liveried examples 32283-5/91 rather than a Trident.

In terms of new fleet, I'm assuming that it's more CNG powered Scania/E400s as per 39401 and the CT Plus examples. As you say, the last new deckers for regular city services (i.e. not metrobus or specific contracts) were the late 2016 e400s for the Fishponds Road routes. The 42-45 are increasingly being worked by the ex London Geminis as the B9s seem to working the Y routes more frequently so new fleet would certainly be welcome.

I don't know if we'll see any new single deckers given the challenges on capacity and the age of the DD fleet anyway. Certainly, it doesn't look at they'll be Streetlites if they did - First have bought very few in recent times with FWoE offloading 13 of them. Granted, some have been swapped for more deckers thoughthey've swapped some for Welsh e200s, suggesting they might not be the preferred choice. In terms of replacing the older Eclipses, I'd expect that the some or all of the 9 x 59 plates at Wells may well be used to replace the 18 non refurbished Eclipses (viz 66934-43, 66723-5/8-31, 69253) when new deckers in Bristol allow sufficient B9s to be released, repainted and refurbished and sent to Wells.

In other news, got my first sighting of 32673 today, heading towards Pennyquick from the Globe. Judging by the time, assume it was running empty in readiness for a U2 working - a bit late for the R2.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Yous are suppose to be getting our airport e200 mmc's from Glasgow once their replacements arrive (e400 city). Rumoured darts are coming our way
Interesting. Wonder what routes they would go onto. I would think that Enviro200 MMCs would be good on the 24 in Bristol in place of those Streets****s.

Dave