• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West Yorkshire & York discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Seehof

New technology! Are we certain that the Kites too will not have to have their batteries changed as frequently as the Versas?

TUC

Established Member
A number of services are moving into Halifax bus station on 18 Feb (Other operators as well as First), with changed timetables along the way. However, the new timetables and route details are still not on the Metro website. Even though it has a link for 'service changes and view the new timetables online' https://www.wymetro.com/bus-timetables all this take you to is a summary leaflet and another weblink that takes you around in a circle. Considering that operators will have had to register these changes several weeks ago, what is the point of having such weblinks but not putting the details up?

Last edited:

Whisky Papa

A number of services are moving into Halifax bus station on 18 Feb (Other operators as well as First), with changed timetables along the way. However, the new timetables and route details are still not on the Metro website. Even though it has a link for 'service changes and view the new timetables online' https://www.wymetro.com/bus-timetables all this take you to is a summary leaflet and another weblink that takes you around in a circle. Considering that operators will have had to register these changes several weeks ago, what is the point of having such weblinks but not putting the details up?
It is very poor, yes. However, @RELL6L suggested an alternative source back at post #1,235, in case you are needing to know details urgently?

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Some of the timetables are on the Metro Website.

(they require Upcoming Timetable to be selected).

Last edited:

TUC

Established Member
Some of the timetables are on the Metro Website.

(they require Upcoming Timetable to be selected).
Some are, but not for all of them.

It is very poor, yes. However, @RELL6L suggested an alternative source back at post #1,235, in case you are needing to know details urgently?
Thanks. It is ridiculous that Metro claimed not to have the details when an external website clearly has them.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
The all new 501 / X1 between Halifax and Huddersfield has been branded as Elland Lines. I very much doubt we'll see any branding appiled to the buses or any publicity printed to promote the relaunch but we do at least get a very North Somerset Excel-ish style route map, as seen below.

I'm begining to wonder if we'll see the same style rolled out to the Upper Calder Valley services 590/591/592, North Halifax services 509-513 (Mixenden's), 521/522/523 (Illingworth's) and maybe the 548/549 (Rastrick's/Huddersfield's).

https://www.firstbus.co.uk/halifax-calder-valley-huddersfield/routes-and-maps/elland-lines-501-x1

501%20X1%20stickmap.png

Route map graphic: https://www.firstbus.co.uk/sites/default/files/public/node_images/501 X1 stickmap.png

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
The all new 501 / X1 between Halifax and Huddersfield has been branded as Elland Lines. I very much doubt we'll see any branding appiled to the buses or any publicity printed to promote the relaunch but we do at least get a very North Somerset Excel-ish style route map, as seen below.

I'm begining to wonder if we'll see the same style rolled out to the Upper Calder Valley services 590/591/592, North Halifax services 509-513 (Mixenden's), 521/522/523 (Illingworth's) and maybe the 548/549 (Rastrick's/Huddersfield's).

https://www.firstbus.co.uk/halifax-calder-valley-huddersfield/routes-and-maps/elland-lines-501-x1

501%20X1%20stickmap.png

Route map graphic: https://www.firstbus.co.uk/sites/default/files/public/node_images/501 X1 stickmap.png
The graphics look like something Transdev would do more than First, in terms of styling. I like it though, the name makes sense but I agree about branding on buses.

Andyh82

Established Member
The graphics look like something Transdev would do more than First, in terms of styling. I like it though, the name makes sense but I agree about branding on buses.
If this was a Transdev service, particularly in the Alex Hornby era, we’d have…

A special livery
Launches in Halifax, Elland and Huddersfield town centres with give aways and some sort of activity to generate a buzz
A press release send out to the local and regional media to get press coverage
A paper timetable
Branding on stands at Halifax and Huddersfield bus stations
Regular social media posts and promotion on the website

Heavy promotion of all the improvements - more buses, faster buses, earlier buses, later buses, still only £2 each way…

It will be interesting to see how much of this First do

It’ll also be interesting to see what buses are allocated. Assuming they can get up Calderdale Way at an acceptable speed, I’d be allocating the Enviros, what with them being the newest deckers at Halifax

noddingdonkey

I understand from a local Facebook group that there are some changes to stand allocations at Huddersfield Bus Station to come on the 18th Feb, some of which feel a bit half baked.

With the withdrawl of the 372, services to Lindley are now the 371 on Stand G and the 501 on Stand N. Surely adjacent stands could have been arranged?

In the other direction to Almondbury the 372 will use Stand E but some journeys from J and O - that feels like they could do better.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
If this was a Transdev service, particularly in the Alex Hornby era, we’d have…

A special livery
Launches in Halifax, Elland and Huddersfield town centres with give aways and some sort of activity to generate a buzz
A press release send out to the local and regional media to get press coverage
A paper timetable
Branding on stands at Halifax and Huddersfield bus stations
Regular social media posts and promotion on the website

Heavy promotion of all the improvements - more buses, faster buses, earlier buses, later buses, still only £2 each way…

It will be interesting to see how much of this First do

It’ll also be interesting to see what buses are allocated. Assuming they can get up Calderdale Way at an acceptable speed, I’d be allocating the Enviros, what with them being the newest deckers at Halifax
True, true. My guess would be no branding on buses so the flexibility of vehicle allocation is there. First York tried it with uni bus liveries, but they often end up on different routes as well.

Andyh82

Established Member
I understand from a local Facebook group that there are some changes to stand allocations at Huddersfield Bus Station to come on the 18th Feb, some of which feel a bit half baked.

With the withdrawl of the 372, services to Lindley are now the 371 on Stand G and the 501 on Stand N. Surely adjacent stands could have been arranged?

In the other direction to Almondbury the 372 will use Stand E but some journeys from J and O - that feels like they could do better.
It’s on the Metro website

Yes they’ve accommodated the changes but avoiding changing too many stands

This is another side effect of the AI timetables, as the 372 departs at loads of different minutes past the hour so some hours there is a clash with other services which do depart at the same time past the hour. The only way around this would be to give every ‘AI service’ their own dedicated stand, and they’d probably quickly run out.

greyman42

Established Member
There was a green (colour) Leeds City double decker in York today operating on the York to Rawcliffe park and ride.

There was a green (colour) Leeds City double decker in York today operating on the York to Rawcliffe park and ride.
On loan cos we had a major power cut Thursday night through Friday morning

We had
3 LeedsCity Streetdecks (2 Bramley, 1 Hunslet)
1 Bradford B7RLE (69359, only just transferred from York to Bradford)
1 Halifax B7RLE (69480)
1 Sheffield B9TL "1524" Heritage Livery - this was supposed to be one of the Donny X78 Mainline B9 Mk2 deckers but they are almost all off-road with a fleet-wide fault

First SY B9TL went back today, so did the Bradford B7 afaik. Other buses going back tomorrow

Mollman

Established Member
True, true. My guess would be no branding on buses so the flexibility of vehicle allocation is there. First York tried it with uni bus liveries, but they often end up on different routes as well.
The new electric buses in Leeds appear to be in standard 'First Electric' livery rather than Leeds City green so there might be another move away from local liveries in West Yorkshire. Odd given the push for the Enhanced Partnership Plus over franchising.

Still a couple of Leeds green Streetdecks in York today (Wednesday)
Kept as we’ve had two bendys go bang for what is likely to be the last time (11101/2)

69001 and 69002 have had a day trip to Bramley today. Unsure what for but left 8am returned 3pm

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I wonder if the new 590/1/2 timetable will be published (other than on Bustimes.org for those in the know) before or after it comes into effect?
There will be some cold and wet people hanging around up to an hour for buses which no longer run come Monday morning!

First Bus has a 'forthcoming timetable' which only shows Saturdays and Sundays - no Mondays to Fridays! On closer inspection there are no buses anyway on Saturdays or Sundays as all times are headed BH (ie Bank holidays).

Metro has its own take by offering: Check for the latest service changes and view the new timetables online. There is at least a summary under latest service changes but new timetables on line. No sir, no can do. I had the misfortune to contact the Metro chatbot, which answered the questions it chose to rather than the ones posed! That is, when will the new timetable be published?

Hey ho.

PS is the bustimes.org version correct?

mattb7tl

I wonder if the new 590/1/2 timetable will be published (other than on Bustimes.org for those in the know) before or after it comes into effect?
There will be some cold and wet people hanging around up to an hour for buses which no longer run come Monday morning!

First Bus has a 'forthcoming timetable' which only shows Saturdays and Sundays - no Mondays to Fridays! On closer inspection there are no buses anyway on Saturdays or Sundays as all times are headed BH (ie Bank holidays).

Metro has its own take by offering: Check for the latest service changes and view the new timetables online. There is at least a summary under latest service changes but new timetables on line. No sir, no can do. I had the misfortune to contact the Metro chatbot, which answered the questions it chose to rather than the ones posed! That is, when will the new timetable be published?

Hey ho.

PS is the bustimes.org version correct?
The bus times timetable is grabbed from official data submitted to the government. It's almost always correct and can't be user edited.
I'm not sure why first takes so long to publish timetables, especially when they have already been registered and uploaded.
I found a way myself to grab that data myself and get it even earlier, even before bustimes (Jan 27th)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
And on the first day of the new X1 (Halifax - Huddersfield), the timetable simply doesn't exist on Metro's website (along with the changes to the 590/1/2)

Metro is blaming First for not providing them with the timetables on social media.

West Yorkshire Metro
Good morning, thank you for your comments, i am afraid we haven't received all the information from the operators, please see link to the operators website. https://www.firstbus.co.uk/hal.../plan-journey/timetables... thanks Shelle

Neither Metro nor First has the timetables for tomorrow's 590/1/2 (Halifax to Rochdale or Burnley) - I'm not sure how they expect people to know when their buses are.

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
And on the first day of the new X1 (Halifax - Huddersfield), the timetable simply doesn't exist on Metro's website (along with the changes to the 590/1/2)

Metro is blaming First for not providing them with the timetables on social media.

Neither Metro nor First has the timetables for tomorrow's 590/1/2 (Halifax to Rochdale or Burnley) - I'm not sure how they expect people to know when their buses are.
Both Metro and First West Yorkshire have been aware of the issue since the middle of last week. Plenty of time to correct the data or at least put up a message along the lines of 'we are aware the new timetables are not showing and are working to correct this'.

Interestingly, they are available (590/1/2 at least) on the journey planner function of the First Bus website. They only offer three departures at a time though, with no 'earlier' or 'later' buses function, you have to go back a step and manually enter different times, multiple times to get the full timetable. Getting a full day, or better still the full seven day timetable is therefore somewhat time-consuming and you have to screenshot each time or write them down! I do like to see the full timetable, you could easily look at the 590 timetable and assume it was still every 30 minutes(ish) unless you specifically asked for the time in the afternoon when there is an hours gap. Thank heavens for bustimes.org!

The 'forthcoming timetables' tab has been removed from the First Bus website so you now have both the old timetable up to 17 February (m-f, sa, su) and the rubbish new BH only timetable from 18 February (for sa, su, no m-f!) in the same place. A steaming pile of fresh bovine by-product, in my humble opinion.

mic

and today because of the changes in Huddersfield only the 184 service was showing on bustimes

noddingdonkey

You would have thought that given the charm offensive of operators to stave off franchising that getting something like this right would have been a priority for them.

Cesarcollie

You would have thought that given the charm offensive of operators to stave off franchising that getting something like this right would have been a priority for them.

True, but we have no evidence that First haven’t supplied the relevant files, so we don’t know which party is being economical with the truth…..

D6130

Established Member
and today because of the changes in Huddersfield only the 184 service was showing on bustimes
None of the 590/591/592 buses have been showing on Bustimes when I've tried looking them up today.

However - on the plus side - there's been a flurry of activity at bus stops in the upper Calder Valley over the last week or so fitting new PIS screens....many of them at stops which haven't had them previously.