• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West Yorkshire & York discussion

So after all that, the last B7RLEs 69275-9 will be leaving us in York after Saturday 27th.

10s will go to Versas (I remain unconvinced as to long term viability of this)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Seehof

Last First diesel buses in York in public carrying service. Good Luck to the Versas! Thanks for the info.

Whiteway215

Established Member
So after all that, the last B7RLEs 69275-9 will be leaving us in York after Saturday 27th.

Do you reckon they will go to a new home or to PVS for scrap, 69275-9 I mean, not the Versas.

Seehof

Although they have been refitted with new technology what is the life expectancy of the Versas in York?

JD2168

Not sure myself how long the Versa’s will last on the 10 without issues.

If these prove as unreliable as previously thought is there another EV that is low enough to go under Leeman Road bridge available to cover the route?

If these prove as unreliable as previously thought is there another EV that is low enough to go under Leeman Road bridge available to cover the route?
Only newer versions of the (now) Switch Metrocity, or the new ADL E100EV. Maybe the BZL as spec sheet says it's 3.2m tall which in theory would fit, as that's the top limit...

BYD E200EVs, Kites, eCitaros are all too tall

Andyh82

Established Member

If the worst came to the worst, could First York stop serving Leeman Road altogether? The council could then get Reliance to serve it in both directions, by maybe one of their services running round their loop in the opposite direction

Seehof

I have been doing some calculations, which I have probably got wrong, but it seems to me that First York does not have enough buses once the last diesel buses go. I suppose they could always “borrow” some from York Pullman!

I have been doing some calculations, which I have probably got wrong, but it seems to me that First York does not have enough buses once the last diesel buses go. I suppose they could always “borrow” some from York Pullman!
86 buses for 72 boards Monday to Friday
86 buses for 66 boards Saturday

In theory it's enough.
With the availability of Metrodeckers, and the need for minimum 75% Versa availability M-F now, we all have our doubts...

Cesarcollie

86 buses for 72 boards Monday to Friday
86 buses for 66 boards Saturday

In theory it's enough.
With the availability of Metrodeckers, and the need for minimum 75% Versa availability M-F now, we all have our doubts...

its 20% spare on M-F and more on Saturday. In general terms that is above the ‘norm’ and should be ample for a fleet of this size at a single site.

its 20% spare on M-F and more on Saturday. In general terms that is above the ‘norm’ and should be ample for a fleet of this size at a single site.
Problem is metrodeckers don't have the availability. Versas having to be used as subs which can't happen from Sunday

Seehof

Better to “borrow” diesels than cancel services. In my opinion the buses in York have become much more reliable and definitely that applies to First. Be a shame to ruin that now.

Swimbar

Better to “borrow” diesels than cancel services. In my opinion the buses in York have become much more reliable and definitely that applies to First. Be a shame to ruin that now.
Could First York use York Pullman for extra vehicles if necessary as they are now both First Group Companies?
York Pullman already have a vehicle hired to Reliance so presumably have spares?

Yes. Metrodeckers have been failing MOTs due to poor prep, so there’s about 7 off road at the moment. Also had nearly double digit accidents in total Friday - Sunday, so lots of buses VOR atm

Seehof

What is VOR?
My you good folk here in York have strange bus terms. I never heard terms like Boards and VOR when I was with London Transport buses! In London, buses had running numbers!

Anyway, I still don’t think First York has enough available buses to cover all the “boards”.

Andyh82

Established Member
What is VOR?
My you good folk here in York have strange bus terms. I never heard terms like Boards and VOR when I was with London Transport buses! In London, buses had running numbers!

Anyway, I still don’t think First York has enough available buses to cover all the “boards”.
I might be wrong but I’m sure 15% spare coverage is around standard for the industry so 20% is above average

If there is a period of dire straits I’m sure they can loan a bus or two from Leeds, electric or otherwise. The electric buses are just mixed in at random with diesels in Leeds so nobody would miss a bus or two

greyman42

Established Member
Could First York use York Pullman for extra vehicles if necessary as they are now both First Group Companies?
York Pullman already have a vehicle hired to Reliance so presumably have spares?
There was a York Pullman double decker leaving York station yesterday evening. I think it was doing the shuttle for the Queen Street bridge closure.

What is VOR?

VOR = Vehicle off Road
Board = ‘Running’ board - a list of all the trips a certain bus does all day

ash39

Established Member

Did this happen in the end? Sure I saw a B7ELE on the 6 last night.