• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Five days...an accurate portrayal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kernowfem

Having read many a thread on here regarding the effect that suicides have on rail workers, I wondered if anyone saw the programme five days last night on bbc1. A programme that centres around a railway suicide.
For once, albeit fiction, a programme that actually focused for a while on the effect that this event has on the driver and the train crew.
I have to admit, if this portrayal is and was accurate, i have been extremely ignorant as to just how harrowing this must be for those who have had the sheer misfortune to experience it. It has taken a depiction on tv for me to begin to comprehend the profound trauma (quite sad on my part i know) that at least two or three of train and rail crews must go through every day. You have my respect.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GodAtum

On Moderation
Just started watching and noticed a few mistakes I think. The boys at the beginning say the line is electrified but I can only see 2 rails. And the guard says no-one can go out because of the danger of other trains but there's only 1 line.

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
I watched the first 20 minutes and worked out where it was going, everything to extremes!

That BTP bloke came over as a complete A-hole for a start, and as for the "why do we always class it as non suspicious" line, oh please :roll:. it will be concentrating on the woman copper on the train, who actually came across well at the beginning, more than the traincrew.
I wont be watching it again although the other half really enjoyed it after begrudgingly putting it on for me but hey ho there you go.

Wyvern

Established Member
Would they have let the driver take it on considering the state he was in?

And the blood had mysteriously vanished.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I always thought that a driver would be relieved on the spot in those circumstances!

Old Timer

Established Member
Relief as a matter of course is a relatively modern course of action.

Previously we only relieved the Driver on site if he was really badly affected. In most other cases he was either relieved at a later point, or in the case of some Drivers, they happily carried on with the rest of their turn.

I remember once having to ride with the Driver of a mail train to destination although he was absolutely not affected in any way....he had experienced five or six previously and was quite happy to go on. Control insisted otherwise thus then leaving me with the problem of getting back to the scene, many, many miles away.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The driver in the programme looked very badly affected - he couldn't light a fag never mind drive a train!

..and that 143s/142s and 158s worked at the same time as 101s, and that 101s were painted in 'Northern' livery!! :lol:

Wyvern

Established Member
All the trackside scenes, the station and the unit were Ecclesbourne Valley Railway, with an EVR driver in a wig doing the driving.

The pedestrian underpass I believe was Wakefield Kirkgate.

I dont know where the "binliner" and the 66 was.

Status
Not open for further replies.