• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fleets Introduced And Withdrawn During The Same Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomotron

The Chiltern Class 172s were withdrawn in 2021 and were transferred to WMR. It is one of the few fleets I can think of that were fully introduced by a TOC and then fully withdrawn during the same franchise. I am not aware of all of these instances so it would be nice to see other fleets that had similar fates. The rules are that the entire fleet has to be introduced by the same TOC that withdraws it or transfers it to another operator, but if they come back to the same franchise it doesn't count, so the Class 180s and 458s don't count.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

owidoe

GWR's short HSTs will have not only lived entirely within the First GW franchise, but within its GWR era.

themiller

I wonder if the DRS locos and coaching stock on the Workington North shuttles and those on the full Cumbrian Coast services could be regarded as fulfilling the spirit of the original question.

AlexNL

Established Member
Class 180 with FGW?

Hull Trains acquired Class 170/3s in 2004 and withdrew them a year later. They then got 222s which they kept around for 4 years, before finally settling on 180s. Which they also withdrew when their open access contract got extended, replacing them with 802s.

On Moderation
Class 180 with FGW?

Hull Trains acquired Class 170/3s in 2004 and withdrew them a year later. They then got 222s which they kept around for 4 years, before finally settling on 180s. Which they also withdrew when their open access contract got extended, replacing them with 802s.
Hull Trains is not a franchise, though!
;)

On Moderation
If we include Northern Ireland then their Class 80 and Class 450 units probably count too.
Like Hull Trains, not a franchise. If you’re going down that route, we might as well throw in British Rail…

busestrains

On Moderation
The South Western franchises must be the winner at this:

SWT : Class 170
SWT : Class 458
SWR : Class 442

Bordering both franchises
Class 456
Class 707
Indeed i forgot about the 442 which counts for both SWT and SWR as both of them introduced and withdrew them. The 707 entered service with SWT for just one day only. Otherwise the 707 would count too.

zwk500

Veteran Member
They're still hanging on, but the 313s are scheduled to be withdraw (from what I gather on other threads) and they will satisfy the spirit of the criteria, having worked for Southern only in that time. Technically, it's two franchises as the South Central franchise got rolled into the Thameslink, Southern and Great Northern franchise in 2015 but it was the same parent company of Southern throughout (Govia).

On Moderation
The South Western franchises must be the winner at this:

SWT : Class 170
SWT : Class 458
SWR : Class 442
I don’t think SWT ever quite managed to stop all the 458s before they came back as part of getting rid of 442s (first time round).

fgwrich

Established Member
Class 180 with FGW?

FGW is an unusual one with this, having both been introduced and removed twice by the same operator! :lol:

Speaking of, we’ll soon be adding EMR to that list.

dastocks

They're still hanging on, but the 313s are scheduled to be withdraw (from what I gather on other threads) and they will satisfy the spirit of the criteria, having worked for Southern only in that time. Technically, it's two franchises as the South Central franchise got rolled into the Thameslink, Southern and Great Northern franchise in 2015 but it was the same parent company of Southern throughout (Govia).
If you're allowing that rule then class 442 should apply for Southern/Gatwick Express as well?

Boothby97

Established Member
First TransPennine Express Class 170s, which transferred to the franchise in 2006, and the final members left them just before the end of the franchise in early 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.