• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flight Tracking Services - Interesting Observations

blackfive460

As for the Hawks in general they're the RAF jet training aircraft, based out of Valley on Anglesey and Leeming in Yorkshire.
Sorry for going into pedant mode but since the disbandment of 100 Squadron, the 9 Hawks based at RAF Leeming (Hawk T2A) are part of 11 Squadron and mainly used for training Qatar Emiri Air Force pilots jointly with the RAF.
The majority of RAF pilot fast jet training is concentrated on 4 and 25 Squadrons who have 28 Hawk T2 aircraft at RAF Valley .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bigchris

I hope this is the right thread to put this in (I've never used this part of the forums before!), but I was looking at FlightRadar24, and saw this flight: https://www.flightradar24.com/SARAB11/311e1f1b

I'm by no means an aviation expert, but I've been hearing loud planes going overhead these past couple of days (as well as seeing a couple flying past earlier today) and was able to find the tracking info for this one just now. Does anyone happen to know what sort of thing it might be doing? I've never looked into aviation enough to have even the slightest idea what it is, so I thought it was quite interesting. I'd really appreciate any explanation!

Thanks in advance,

-Peter :)

EDIT: I've also just seen this one, which is apparently a US plane. Never seen one of those round here before! Would anyone happen to know what it's doing?

The Hawk is from the joint Qatari Air Force training Sqn at RAF Leeming. The other one is a Learjet C-21A, US Air Force Europe used as a VIP transport. I've seen it at RAF Northolt a few times as that's a regular spot for military VIP flights.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can anyone offer an explanation for what this aircraft is doing please?
Expect Bing or Google to have updated "satellite" images of that area in the near future would be my suggestion!

PsychoMouse

Can anyone offer an explanation for what this aircraft is doing please?

View attachment 142024
May be helpful for the future.

6aj89hul77t41.png

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I heard this plane fly over me in the north of England yesterday afternoon at 19,000ft and wondered what the hell it was doing.

It did a few loops after leaving Dublin, presumably to burn fuel; thought it would have returned there but in the end it diverted to Cologne (at the time I looked it was still shown as going to Antalya). It flew most of the way there at 19,000 ft. Guessing it had some sort of fault and the airline wanted it to not be stuck in Dublin, what sort of things would cause it to only go at 19,000ft.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 11.04.43.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 11.04.43.png
    834.4 KB · Views: 39

PsychoMouse

I heard this plane fly over me in the north of England yesterday afternoon at 19,000ft and wondered what the hell it was doing.

It did a few loops after leaving Dublin, presumably to burn fuel; thought it would have returned there but in the end it diverted to Cologne (at the time I looked it was still shown as going to Antalya). It flew most of the way there at 19,000 ft. Guessing it had some sort of fault and the airline wanted it to not be stuck in Dublin, what sort of things would cause it to only go at 19,000ft.

Pressurisation failure I'd guess. Cologne is potentially a maintenance base for them so they'd have a spare aircraft and they can fix the tech one.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Pressurisation failure I'd guess. Cologne is potentially a maintenance base for them so they'd have a spare aircraft and they can fix the tech one.
Given it climbed to 19,000ft after the orbiting and remained at that level for the entire transit, wouldn't that indicate something else? Don't they usually stay at no greater than 10,000ft with any kind of pressurisation failure?

PsychoMouse

Given it climbed to 19,000ft after the orbiting and remained at that level for the entire transit, wouldn't that indicate something else? Don't they usually stay at no greater than 10,000ft with any kind of pressurisation failure?

Not entirely sure to be honest, I can't think of much else which would necessitate a lower altitude but then still be able to fly a couple of hours. But yeah, 19k feet would be very high for cabin pressure issues.

Cloud Strife

Established Member

Burning fuel, probably. FL190 (19,000ft) would be out of the way of most flights, while FL190 would allow them to burn off more fuel than if they were flying at cruise. It's likely that they chose to circle over the Irish Sea while they did the calculations so that they wouldn't have to circle over the very busy airspace in that part of Germany.

Iskra

Established Member
I’ve just been watching these two Canadair- CL415 aircraft dipping into the sea to fight some local wildfires on the Ionian Coast, Italy- very impressive stuff!

IMG_3038.jpegIMG_3027.jpeg

Bigchris

Not flying right now but if anybody is interested there are 4x US Army Chinooks operating out of RAF Northolt this week.

Iskra

Established Member
Not flying right now but if anybody is interested there are 4x US Army Chinooks operating out of RAF Northolt this week.
Ah, I saw one fly North over my work in Sheffield last week, but presumed it was RAF. Skycanner said it had come from Northolt but didn’t show where it was going.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Well... this is not a normal calibration pattern is it?

Normally it would be either a large perfect circle or a search grid type pattern... never seen this sort of pattern before.

Looks to me like it's testing the approach system at Heathrow in some way, but what would the north and south deviations be for?

1699058694527.png

AndyPJG

Currently over the Dover Strait, clue is the operator! (Attachment shows Coastguard Beechcraft aircraft patrolling/searching at 2,300 ft over the Dover Straits)

Attachments

• 1700266723468.png
    1700266723468.png
    719.3 KB · Views: 37

AndyPJG

Due to the stormy weather, several planes doing go-arounds at Heathrow tonight. One has had do do 2, but landed OK on third approach.
Screenshot 2024-01-21 210825.png
{picture shows FlightRadar24 plot of plane route, with go-arounds and holding pattern over Orpington area}