• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flixbus Discussion

Martin2012

I have booked to go between Aberdeen and Glasgow tomorrow on the 091 service. I’ve been allocated seat 5D, do they rigidly stick to seat allocations on board? as it looks like there is someone allocated the seat next to me with most of the coach empty.
Have had numerous instances where drivers have totally disregarded the seat allocations including several occasions when I've booked a front seat. On one trip earlier in the year when I booked those seats I was told by the driver that "the front seats are unavailable as they are too wet" and I ended up sitting right at the back instead. The driver's bags were perfectly happy on the front seats of course.

On another occasion, I boarded to find the front seats blocked off with the driver's bags and when I pointed out to the driver I had booked that seat I was told " There's no seat reservations" and "Just because you were first to board, you've got no more right than anyone else to sit in the front seat".

Had a similar thing when I've booked a seat on the back row too. Boarded to find the seats already occupied and when I've queried it I've been told by the drivers "there's no allocated seat numbers".

From my experience I'd say its more likely than not that the seat allocations will go in the bin and you'll end up sitting wherever there is a free seat.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
On another occasion, I boarded to find the front seats blocked off with the driver's bags and when I pointed out to the driver I had booked that seat I was told " There's no seat reservations" and "Just because you were first to board, you've got no more right than anyone else to sit in the front seat".
It’s the attitude of some of the McGill’s drivers that gets me. Management clearly don’t care about it as I’ve reported it on quite a few occasions now and disappointingly it carries on. It’s not what they’re saying, but rather how they’re going about speaking to their customers. It’s terrible customer service. I can’t speak for what it’s like on other companies Flixbus services, but McGill’s in particular are shocking at it. Never thought highly of the company before they went into this venture, has only reconfirmed my position with more strength. My experiences I elude to in some of the previous pages.

I think some forget that customer service is a part of their role and it’s not just driving a coach. I know long hours are expected in these roles and the patterns aren’t the best, but that’s a driver-management problem that has absolutely nothing to do with the customer and therefore is no excuse for the poor attitude. I do understand that the driver-management relationship is somewhat hit or miss, which probably explains why these issues have never been fixed. However, it would be nice to actually be read about good journeys provided by McGill’s.

The one thing I struggle to understand is, McGill’s supposed main reasoning for buying Xplore Dundee, was for Flixbus. Now, Xplore don’t provide any Flixbus resources whatsoever due to the new Aberdeen depot opening. Just seems a strange way it’s played out.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They need to do away with the seat allocation nonsense. The bus could be empty and you're allocated a seat and someone else is the seat next to you and they'll sit there as well. There's no talking to some people either explaining the coach is empty and you can have a seat of your choice. It should be like Citylink; when you book it guarantees a seat and if it's busy then you just have to accept it.

I think seat selection is a very good idea, but if they aren't going to respect and enforce it 100% of the time, get rid. (See also the railway at times)

Drivers blocking front seats is as bad as the old Virgin "Coach K problem" (of stewards trying to keep it as their messroom).

Temple Meads

Established Member
I've done quite a few trips on Flix with reserved seats, and I've never been unable to occupy my booked seat. I've had a couple of occasions where I've had to ask passengers to move who were already occupying it, but they didn't argue. Most of these journeys have been on the Berry's routes, 045 and 078.

Only once have I had a driver actually read my seat number on the ticket and tell me the location of it, and that was on a McGill's operated service!

markymark2000

On Moderation
The one thing I struggle to understand is, McGill’s supposed main reasoning for buying Xplore Dundee, was for Flixbus. Now, Xplore don’t provide any Flixbus resources whatsoever due to the new Aberdeen depot opening. Just seems a strange way it’s played out.
Are you sure on this? McGills bought Dundee in December 2020, started Flixbus around July 2021 but never started the Scottish Domestic network until 8th August 2022. Did McGills even know they were going to start Flixbus in December 2020? It's the first that I have heard about them buying Dundee because they wanted it for Flixbus. Livingston on the other hand....

embers25

Established Member
I've done quite a few trips on Flix with reserved seats, and I've never been unable to occupy my booked seat. I've had a couple of occasions where I've had to ask passengers to move who were already occupying it, but they didn't argue. Most of these journeys have been on the Berry's routes, 045 and 078.

Only once have I had a driver actually read my seat number on the ticket and tell me the location of it, and that was on a McGill's operated service!
Berrys are a law unto themselves and their drivers never enforce seats. Most other companies do and it works well. It's just a shame Berrys are involved at all as their coaches, whilst newish, are awful with zero leg room, constant rattling and broken seats (they are regularly used on school work)

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Are you sure on this? McGills bought Dundee in December 2020, started Flixbus around July 2021 but never started the Scottish Domestic network until 8th August 2022. Did McGills even know they were going to start Flixbus in December 2020? It's the first that I have heard about them buying Dundee because they wanted it for Flixbus. Livingston on the other hand....
I think the launch was delayed in part due to COVID, Xplore having already been agreed to be purchased.

Stan Drews

Established Member
It’s complete nonsense from someone who openly acknowledges they don’t like McGill’s. On the other hand… the same applies re the acquisition of First Scotland East!

It’s the attitude of some of the McGill’s drivers that gets me. Management clearly don’t care about it as I’ve reported it on quite a few occasions now and disappointingly it carries on. It’s not what they’re saying, but rather how they’re going about speaking to their customers. It’s terrible customer service. I can’t speak for what it’s like on other companies Flixbus services, but McGill’s in particular are shocking at it. Never thought highly of the company before they went into this venture, has only reconfirmed my position with more strength. My experiences I elude to in some of the previous pages.

I think some forget that customer service is a part of their role and it’s not just driving a coach. I know long hours are expected in these roles and the patterns aren’t the best, but that’s a driver-management problem that has absolutely nothing to do with the customer and therefore is no excuse for the poor attitude. I do understand that the driver-management relationship is somewhat hit or miss, which probably explains why these issues have never been fixed. However, it would be nice to actually be read about good journeys provided by McGill’s.

It would appear you are very unlucky, as McGill’s regularly score very highly in the feedback that FlixBus receives from their passengers.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
It’s complete nonsense from someone who openly acknowledges they don’t like McGill’s. On the other hand… the same applies re the acquisition of First Scotland East!
It’s not nonsense! I was told that by an extremely reliable source at the time. I use the Xplore Dundee network (and previously Eastern Scottish/Midland Bluebird) several times a month, so my views are honest and truthful. I get the impression you think I’m making this all up, which I’m not. McGill’s don’t just make acquisitions out of thin air. There’s always a logical reason into it. To give them credit they run their business very methodically, unlike a large chunk of the industry.
It would appear you are very unlucky, as McGill’s regularly score very highly in the feedback that FlixBus receives from their passengers.
Considering I’m not even the sole person within this thread that has some of the same viewpoints, I would treat the survey with some degree of caution. It’s like election opinion polls, they’re only as accurate if the people you ask are honest, truthful and from a mix of opinions. That’s not to say it’s wrong. It just doesn’t mean that it’s the guaranteed opinion, but a range within that area should be close on most occasions.

On the routes I use Ember is probably top of my choice, but that’s like picking the least worst option for me. In truth, none of the options on offer are very appealing. When rail is available thats usually my go to now, despite the industry problems.

Stan Drews

Established Member
It’s not nonsense! I was told that by an extremely reliable source at the time. I use the Xplore Dundee network (and previously Eastern Scottish/Midland Bluebird) several times a month, so my views are honest and truthful. I get the impression you think I’m making this all up, which I’m not. McGill’s don’t just make acquisitions out of thin air. There’s always a logical reason into it. To give them credit they run their business very methodically, unlike a large chunk of the industry.
I’m afraid the reliability of your sources is not as good as you think, as I can assure you that it is complete and utter nonsense, and that is directly from the people running the business that were involved in the actual discussions re their various acquisitions. It might seem like a nice story that would suit some peoples agenda, but like many such stories it’s just a fabrication.

Did you complete and return the satisfaction survey they send you after your ride?
If you did then your views will have impacted the results. If you didn’t then you can‘t really expect your views to be considered.
FlixBus share the results with their partners every month and McGill’s are amongst the highest rated in Europe, so you are definitely missing out somehow!

Last edited:

henryb

Berrys are a law unto themselves and their drivers never enforce seats. Most other companies do and it works well. It's just a shame Berrys are involved at all as their coaches, whilst newish, are awful with zero leg room, constant rattling and broken seats (they are regularly used on school work)
I am yet to get a Flixbus branded vehicle on the 045, the double deckers aren’t too bad though!

embers25

Established Member
The N45 uses awful Flix branded ones. The 045 usually uses the slightly better Berrys ones

embers25

Established Member
I generally use the one to Victoria that leaves Plymouth at 2359 (the overnight 045 is an N45). It's always used a green coach when I've used it and it's easily the worst coach I've ever been on for leg room and also for seat build quality with numerous rattles and missing seat recline levers, despite it being reasonable new.

WF4HA5HE

I think seat selection is a very good idea, but if they aren't going to respect and enforce it 100% of the time, get rid. (See also the railway at times)

Drivers blocking front seats is as bad as the old Virgin "Coach K problem" (of stewards trying to keep it as their messroom).
Honestly I don't see how seat allocation on a coach is a good idea especially on overnight coaches. I've had numerous times where I've boarded flixbus coaches and someone else is sat in my seat generally because they're traveling with someone else and didn't get seats together. When you ask them to move they just don't or they're asleep, especially on the overnight coaches. I don't really want to be waking someone up because getting to sleep on a coach is already hard enough. I've also had it before where I've paid for front seats and paid the supplement for the one next to me for more room and someone else is sat there with the same seat number from a previous cancelled coach. When I go sit in a different seat inevitably you'll get asked to move by another passenger who boards at a later stop. I'll now only use National Express and Megabus which is a shame because if booked in advance Flixbus fares can be such a good deal but its not worth the hassle.

henryb

I generally use the one to Victoria that leaves Plymouth at 2359 (the overnight 045 is an N45). It's always used a green coach when I've used it and it's easily the worst coach I've ever been on for leg room and also for seat build quality with numerous rattles and missing seat recline levers, despite it being reasonable new.
Ah ok. Haven’t done that. Why choose the Flixbus over the national express for that one? I’ve only done the 7:30 with the 2 seats booked

embers25

Established Member
Flix is usually half the price or less when booking last minute. I'd always pick NEx first on quality but sadly they are much more expensive usually.

Temple Meads

Established Member
The N45 uses awful Flix branded ones. The 045 usually uses the slightly better Berrys ones

The 045 and N45 are interworked, and all services should normally be operated by Flix branded coaches, but they don't have any spares for the full service level, which is why you will often see coaches in Berrys livery on Flix work.

There was also a period last summer when the 045 was extended into Cornwall as a trial, and this meant they had to use a Van Hool Altano from the Superfast fleet on a daily basis.

I would agree that legroom on the EX16s is noticeably worse than the norm for modern express coaches, although there are a couple of seats which are better, I think it's the second or third row on driver's side.

route101

Established Member
Flix is usually half the price or less when booking last minute. I'd always pick NEx first on quality but sadly they are much more expensive usually.
The prices on the overnight Scotland to London on Flixbus can be very high I have found.

WestCoast

Established Member

Completely agree, especially since they charge to select a specific seat. Either enforce it like an airline or scrap it.

it’s a complete hassle for customers to have to constantly ask people to move or have drivers blocking the seat they selected.

route101

Established Member
There is only one Flix service I have travelled where there were no seat reservations, that was the 078 from Leeds to Bristol.

McGill's will usually confirm the seat when the driver scans your ticket.

I used the 090 service from Glasgow to Edinburgh and as there was only 4 of us on that service the driver said feel free to sit anywhere. The passengers who had booked seats weren't sure of this and still sat in their allocated seats.

henryb

The 045 and N45 are interworked, and all services should normally be operated by Flix branded coaches, but they don't have any spares for the full service level, which is why you will often see coaches in Berrys livery on Flix work.

There was also a period last summer when the 045 was extended into Cornwall as a trial, and this meant they had to use a Van Hool Altano from the Superfast fleet on a daily basis.

I would agree that legroom on the EX16s is noticeably worse than the norm for modern express coaches, although there are a couple of seats which are better, I think it's the second or third row on driver's side.
The N45 to London typically doesn’t get the Flix branded one though. So the 045 back doesn’t have it either. Whereas the 045 to London that becomes the N45 back generally becomes it. I think Flixbus is generally worth it when you can get 2 seats at the same time for £14. Which essentially puts it on par with national express for same price but more space

There is only one Flix service I have travelled where there were no seat reservations, that was the 078 from Leeds to Bristol.

McGill's will usually confirm the seat when the driver scans your ticket.

I used the 090 service from Glasgow to Edinburgh and as there was only 4 of us on that service the driver said feel free to sit anywhere. The passengers who had booked seats weren't sure of this and still sat in their allocated seats.
That’s also the Berry’s ran service (078) along with Turners

route101

Established Member
The N45 to London typically doesn’t get the Flix branded one though. So the 045 back doesn’t have it either. Whereas the 045 to London that becomes the N45 back generally becomes it. I think Flixbus is generally worth it when you can get 2 seats at the same time for £14. Which essentially puts it on par with national express for same price but more space

That’s also the Berry’s ran service (078) along with Turners
Yes, if you can get two seats for a decent price on an overnight service then its worth it. In reality on the long services I use, its over £50 one way. For me its the seat width and not legroom which makes coach travel uncomfortable.

londonteacher

Yes, if you can get two seats for a decent price on an overnight service then its worth it. In reality on the long services I use, its over £50 one way. For me its the seat width and not legroom which makes coach travel uncomfortable.
I often pay £29.99 each way every month from London to Disneyland Paris with an additional £14.99 to have the seat next to me also.

embers25

Established Member
The N45 to London typically doesn’t get the Flix branded one though. So the 045 back doesn’t have it either. Whereas the 045 to London that becomes the N45 back generally becomes it.
I have always had a flix branded one on the one to London without exception. So maybe the 30+ times I've used it I've been unlucky!