• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flixbus Discussion

embers25

Established Member
In Berrys , I am 5 ft 11 and I have literally zero legroom and have to sit angled. On Nat Exp or Flix in Europe I have no issue at all.
There are some days it can be busy but it's rare, certainly west of Bristol.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Used the 090 again yesterday between Glasgow and Edinburgh. Again not many takers with 5 persons compared to the busy Citylink 900 which was boarding next to us. No one boarding or alighting at Harthill or Livingston Deer Park. The service went via the A71 and Gorgie and alighted further along on Regents Road after making turning around at the roundabout. Shame this service is not using the bus station as this would make it easier on the return trips.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Flixbus changes for June. All information is compiled by myself comparing old and new timetables. Some information from going through Flixbus booking engine, some of it thanks to help from bustimes.org and their debug features.
DateRouteChange
15th June041E Bristol - LondonService withdrawn
20th June010 Glasgow - LondonMinor timetable amendments
20th June041 Bristol - LondonAdditional trips on Thursdays 07:30/15:45 from Bristol, 12:00/22:30 from London
20th June042 Cardiff - London2 additional trips added each day
20th June090 Glasgow - EdinburghService enhanced to half hourly
20th June091 Glasgow - Aberdeen3 additional trips each way
20th June093 Glasgow - Inverness2 additional trips each way
20th June094 Edinburgh - Inverness1 additional trip each way
20th JuneN601 Leeds - AmsterdamNow operates daily. Different start/end point each day though. Sometimes starts in Leeds, sometimes Sheffield, sometimes Leicester
20th June940 Swansea - Gatwick2 additional full length trips each day, plus 1 extra Newport-Swansea return trip each day
20th JuneN10 Glasgow - LondonSouthbound minor retimings. Northbound retimed 2.5hrs earlier.
20th JuneXN10 Glasgow - LondonNew overnight fast service from Glasgow - London calling only at Edinburgh and Finchley Road

Used the 090 again yesterday between Glasgow and Edinburgh. Again not many takers with 5 persons compared to the busy Citylink 900 which was boarding next to us. No one boarding or alighting at Harthill or Livingston Deer Park. The service went via the A71 and Gorgie and alighted further along on Regents Road after making turning around at the roundabout. Shame this service is not using the bus station as this would make it easier on the return trips.
Someone must see potential in it with it operating half hourly from the 20th June. I think the issue with Edinburgh Bus Station is lack of capacity. In an ideal world, Edinburgh would have a much larger coach station.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
That new fast service from Scotland to London calling only Finchley road could be useful. Although I'm very wary of using flicks as I've heard enough horror stories about cancellations and stranded passengers and can't say as I particularly want to be landed at Finchley road at some strange time at night without a service or indeed stuck in Edinburgh if I've know where to stay as it's not exactly a cheap City

computerSaysNo

Established Member
Someone must see potential in it with it operating half hourly from the 20th June. I think the issue with Edinburgh Bus Station is lack of capacity. In an ideal world, Edinburgh would have a much larger coach station.
What are peoples' thoughts on Flixbus/McGill's as a competitor to Citylink and Ember?
In terms of comfort, timeliness, eco/green credentials, where the money goes (i.e. does it get reinvested or does it all go into the pockets of the big person at the top) etc.?
Personally I can't comment on the first two as I've never taken Flixbus.
Green credentials is an interesting one. Their buses seem to be newer than some of the Citylink buses, for example the Elite i's, so does that make them more efficient?

It's probably best to ignore "staff friendliness and usefulness when things go wrong" here as for the vast majority of people the journey won't go wrong, and the only interaction they'll have with the driver will be getting on and getting off the bus.

route101

Established Member
That new fast service from Scotland to London calling only Finchley road could be useful. Although I'm very wary of using flicks as I've heard enough horror stories about cancellations and stranded passengers and can't say as I particularly want to be landed at Finchley road at some strange time at night without a service or indeed stuck in Edinburgh if I've know where to stay as it's not exactly a cheap City
Yes, the fast service will be useful in the summer when the festival ramps up. One of the downsides of the night services to London is that they stop at Manchester and Birmingham.

Flixbus changes for June. All information is compiled by myself comparing old and new timetables. Some information from going through Flixbus booking engine, some of it thanks to help from bustimes.org and their debug features.
DateRouteChange
15th June041E Bristol - LondonService withdrawn
20th June010 Glasgow - LondonMinor timetable amendments
20th June041 Bristol - LondonAdditional trips on Thursdays 07:30/15:45 from Bristol, 12:00/22:30 from London
20th June042 Cardiff - London2 additional trips added each day
20th June090 Glasgow - EdinburghService enhanced to half hourly
20th June091 Glasgow - Aberdeen3 additional trips each way
20th June093 Glasgow - Inverness2 additional trips each way
20th June094 Edinburgh - Inverness1 additional trip each way
20th JuneN601 Leeds - AmsterdamNow operates daily. Different start/end point each day though. Sometimes starts in Leeds, sometimes Sheffield, sometimes Leicester
20th June940 Swansea - Gatwick2 additional full length trips each day, plus 1 extra Newport-Swansea return trip each day
20th JuneN10 Glasgow - LondonSouthbound minor retimings. Northbound retimed 2.5hrs earlier.
20th JuneXN10 Glasgow - LondonNew overnight fast service from Glasgow - London calling only at Edinburgh and Finchley Road

Yes, I reckon it will pick up during the festival. I think it will be more popular with overseas tourists who have pre booked the service. Its usually cheap when booked at short notice though it was £19.99 one way on Friday night, I went with the 900.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
I was meant to travel Flixbus for the first time from Meadowhall to Newcastle on Friday evening. I got an email earlier in the day saying the bus was delayed 120 minutes and giving a number of options including one for abandoning the journey with a full refund (which I chose).

I thought that was decent and they have subsequently sent me an email for 25% off a future trip.

Things go wrong, but I think they’ve handled it as well as you could expect.

route101

Established Member
I have never had a problem with Flixbus. I have always used them from origin to destination though. They are in Scotland becoming a bigger player.

overthewater

Established Member
What are peoples' thoughts on Flixbus/McGill's as a competitor to Citylink and Ember?
In terms of comfort, timeliness, eco/green credentials, where the money goes (i.e. does it get reinvested or does it all go into the pockets of the big person at the top) etc.?
Personally I can't comment on the first two as I've never taken Flixbus.
Green credentials is an interesting one. Their buses seem to be newer than some of the Citylink buses, for example the Elite i's, so does that make them more efficient?

It's probably best to ignore "staff friendliness and usefulness when things go wrong" here as for the vast majority of people the journey won't go wrong, and the only interaction they'll have with the driver will be getting on and getting off the bus.
Happy or Sad fact is, It's been a god send. I'm sorry to say that even just before Covid Citylink badly needed a kick up the back side. 2 hour gaps in places on certain routes. I can still remember the awful white N reg coaches that used to operate on the M92 and M9, they were really past there prime then. All this competition has really been good for everyone with a better services and coaches all round.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
Happy or Sad fact is, It's been a god send. I'm sorry to say that even just before Covid Citylink badly needed a kick up the back side. 2 hour gaps in places on certain routes.
Is that because the demand wasn't there though?
I can still remember the awful white N reg coaches that used to operate on the M92 and M9, they were really past there prime then.
What type were they?

markymark2000

On Moderation
The things working in favour of Flixbus is it's a worldwide brand. People from overseas will know and be used to the Flixbus brand. They are very much a low cost budget option. Expect the worst and it can only get better. The pros for Flixbus are that some of the operators are really good. Just seem to be let down by Flix management, both at UK level and worldwide
Citylink has the history in Scotland and the extensive network for connections.
Ember, I don't know but they seem to be doing well. They are getting the bookings and are expanding. Seem to have decent passenger satisfaction. Someone else may want to come in on that.

On the whole though. You have your established big operator - Citylink, your budget option - Flixbus and Ember fits somewhere in between but sadly doesn't serve as many big areas yet you are a little bit limited.

Depends how you look at it. Emissions put out per vehicle or per passenger. McGills/Flixbus will likely be greener normally but if you look at it on a per passenger basis, the Elite I/Panoramas/Volvo 9700DDs take 75-81 passengers. That may skew things in favour of Citylink. Ember has the green credentials as they are using electric buses. How green those electric buses are over the life cycle of the buses, I am unsure.

Happy or Sad fact is, It's been a god send. I'm sorry to say that even just before Covid Citylink badly needed a kick up the back side. 2 hour gaps in places on certain routes. I can still remember the awful white N reg coaches that used to operate on the M92 and M9, they were really past there prime then. All this competition has really been good for everyone with a better services and coaches all round.
Looking for booking today from Dundee to Edinburgh, Flixbus is offering the N11 for £3.49 or other trips £5.99. Ember seems to be a flat £8.50. Citylink £22.30 on all trips. The difference is remarkable. If this is what Citylink are charging, it's a surprise that anyone is using them on these core corridors. (Photos below to show evidence. Couldn't get the dates in as the screenshots would be too big. Citylink I could only give 2 results as their website isn't amazing and will only show 2 results on computers before scrolling down)

Attachments

• 1717414060023.png
    1717414060023.png
    53 KB · Views: 29
  • 1717414076143.png
    1717414076143.png
    85.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 1717414130941.png
    1717414130941.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 29

Parebunks

Looking for booking today from Dundee to Edinburgh, Flixbus is offering the N11 for £3.49 or other trips £5.99. Ember seems to be a flat £8.50. Citylink £22.30 on all trips. The difference is remarkable. If this is what Citylink are charging, it's a surprise that anyone is using them on these core corridors. (Photos below to show evidence. Couldn't get the dates in as the screenshots would be too big. Citylink I could only give 2 results as their website isn't amazing and will only show 2 results on computers before scrolling down)
On the other hand, you can get those same Citylink coaches for £7.10 on the megabus website (photo attached) - I assume this must be what passengers are doing? Does seem a ridiculous setup to have such a high price differential between the sites though, Flixbus definitely seem an increasingly attractive option at least within Scotland.

Attachments

• 1717429704400.png
    1717429704400.png
    100.9 KB · Views: 27

computerSaysNo

Established Member
The things working in favour of Flixbus is it's a worldwide brand. People from overseas will know and be used to the Flixbus brand. They are very much a low cost budget option. Expect the worst and it can only get better. The pros for Flixbus are that some of the operators are really good. Just seem to be let down by Flix management, both at UK level and worldwide
Citylink has the history in Scotland and the extensive network for connections.
Ember, I don't know but they seem to be doing well. They are getting the bookings and are expanding. Seem to have decent passenger satisfaction. Someone else may want to come in on that.

On the whole though. You have your established big operator - Citylink, your budget option - Flixbus and Ember fits somewhere in between but sadly doesn't serve as many big areas yet you are a little bit limited.

Depends how you look at it. Emissions put out per vehicle or per passenger. McGills/Flixbus will likely be greener normally but if you look at it on a per passenger basis, the Elite I/Panoramas/Volvo 9700DDs take 75-81 passengers. That may skew things in favour of Citylink. Ember has the green credentials as they are using electric buses. How green those electric buses are over the life cycle of the buses, I am unsure.

On the other hand, you can get those same Citylink coaches for £7.10 on the megabus website (photo attached) - I assume this must be what passengers are doing? Does seem a ridiculous setup to have such a high price differential between the sites though, Flixbus definitely seem an increasingly attractive option at least within Scotland.
Most people I would think would either be using the Megabus website (thus charging themselves the lower price) or will be travelling on Under 22 or pensioner passes (thus charging those the higher price). This presumably suits Citylink very well.

People from overseas will know and be used to the Flixbus brand. They are very much a low cost budget option.
I can see Citylink struggling to compete if Flix are able to subsidize Scottish operations to offer low prices until Citylink "go away". I'm just concerned that after that happens their price will then be raised.

Can anyone say how well the drivers at Flix are treated (mainly the McGill's drivers)? I thought I'd read that with Flix extending Dundee services to Aberdeen that they'd got rid of all their Dundee-based staff without offering so much as a "thanks". I can't remember where I read that though.

route101

Established Member
Yes, thats one downside with Flixbus they can chop and change routes quite regularly . A good example is the times of the N10.

TravelDream

Some good personal news. Ever since Megabus basically abandoned the route (just twice daily both via Bristol now. They had most of the Victoria services go via Cardiff before), National Express has jacked up the fares quite a bit.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Flixbus definitely seem an increasingly attractive option at least within Scotland.
I'd argue not until more places are served. Flix can be great if you are near their stops but Citylink has a lot more stops. While of course not the best if you go down the Citylink route of diverting off at every single motorway junction, Flixbus does need a few more stops in my opinion. 11 destination towns with 13 stops (Edinburgh Ingliston & Perth of course having the bus station & Broxden P&R), Citylink still has a lot of breathing space because for example in Perth they stop in the centre, Flixbus on the majority of trips only serve Broxden P&R. Stirling, Citylink run through there every half hour, Flixbus only serve the Park and Ride. If your start/end point is not adjacent to the Park and Ride, you have to think about onward travel which is a lot less of an issue for Citylink passengers.

Can anyone say how well the drivers at Flix are treated (mainly the McGill's drivers)? I thought I'd read that with Flix extending Dundee services to Aberdeen that they'd got rid of all their Dundee-based staff without offering so much as a "thanks". I can't remember where I read that though.
Yes, that was a thing in Dundee, it was in the news (link). McGills Flixbus drivers seem to be mixed but they certainly seem to be the most enthusiastic on Flixbus related Facebook groups and lots of appetite for more so my guess is on the whole they can't be treated too badly. I think that it is fair to say though that McGills haven't always had the best ways of dealing with things and the move from Dundee was just another one of those things.

Some good personal news. Ever since Megabus basically abandoned the route (just twice daily both via Bristol now. They had most of the Victoria services go via Cardiff before), National Express has jacked up the fares quite a bit.
Swansea to London is still only 2 per day on Flixbus, and still going via Bristol. That is one area that would be good to see improved. The 940 doesn't serve Victoria, it does Heathrow Airport Central Bus Station, Heathrow Terminal 5 then Gatwick North and South terminals.

Mikw

Usual issue for me as Megabus. Most of their Leicester pick ups are Fosse Park, which makes them rather unusable for me, as it's two buses to get there and impossible to get back from if it's late at night.

embers25

Established Member
I didn't realise Cymru Coaches also use the awful spec Van Hools. Row 2 has literally zero legroom. Lucky it's only 2.5 hours to Swansea. We also have paper destinations so has the feel of super high quality..not. Also, yet again, once everyone booked is on we didn't wait for time and left Cardiff over 20 mins early. The app is still letting me book tickets even though we left 5+ mins ago.

Last edited:

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Belle Vue Manchester has ordered an additional 18 Yutong GT12 coaches with 53 seats for Flixbus.

Belle Vue Manchester has ordered 18 more Yutong GT12 coaches for further expansion of its work with FlixBus UK. They will complement five such 53-seat vehicles recently delivered under an overall £6 million investment by the coach operator.

Pelican Bus and Coach will supply all the vehicles, with the latest order recently confirmed at the Yutong plant in China. Belle Vue will use the extra coaches to increase frequencies on routes to Birmingham, Leicester, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and York, and launch a new service between Manchester and Bristol. Other new destinations will be announced later.

Belle Vue Managing Director Phil Hitchen (pictured) says that existing GT12s have proved reliable, and popular with customers. One of those coaches, along with Belle Vue driver Lucy Coulson, forms part of a FlixBus advertising campaign that is currently underway.

“We see this model, backed by the excellent Pelican aftersales and support system, as the ideal partnership to take our fleet expansion programme forward, and we are excited to be expanding our FlixBus offering with additional frequencies and new services,” adds Mr Hitchen.

“Our trip to China for the signing ceremony and to visit the production line at Yutong’s factory was a memorable experience, and we were looked after very well from start to finish.”

The coaches will come with a Bosch entertainment system, USB and 240-volt power sockets, wi-fi, mood lighting, and live coach tracking updates sent to passengers’ devices.

FlixBus UK MD Andreas Schörling says that the partnership with Belle Vue has proved to be “fantastic.” He adds: “The team at Belle Vue share our passion, vision and ambition to build the largest intercity coach network in the UK, so we are delighted that it has announced this investment, which will bring brand new vehicles onto additional FlixBus services.”

Pelican and Yutong have created an interior specification for the GT12 that is specific to FlixBus, including its trademark green livery in the seat trim.

Says Pelican North of England Sales Manager Amelia Crump: “It has been a huge pleasure for us to work with the highly professional team of people at both Belle Vue and FlixBus. I am very proud that Pelican and Yutong continue to play a part of the expansion of the FlixBus network.”

geoffk

Established Member
Has anyone been watching the BBC TV series "Race across the World"?* Four or five pairs of contestants have to make long distance journeys (up to 25,000 km) without flying and with limited budgets. Many of them chose long-distance coaches, often overnight, to save money and Flixbus seemed to crop up everywhere. According to Wikipedia, the company has 400,000 routes to over 5,000 destinations in more than 40 countries in Europe, North and South America and Asia. On a recent rail trip through Germany, I noted several Flixtrains in sidings.

* This programme is referred to in a closed thread "What is the longest bus/coach journey you have been on?"

Last edited:

TravelDream

That's Flixbus' big strength. They have a multinational brand and are often the brand people think of when traveling.
They also, in many cases, have entered markets with rock bottom fares, chased everyone else off, and raised fares when they get a high market share. It has happened in country after country.
Their UK entry is actually pretty cautious in comparison to some other markets. Like when they entered Poland and opened routes quickly with tiny fares. Eventually the Souters gave up selling Polskibus to them giving a practical monopoly as a national operator.