• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flooding at Haddiscoe (Norfolk) - unit trapped (30/01/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleepy

Established Member
This morning 0725 Norwich to Lowestoft (2J66) encountered flood water just before Haddiscoe. The crew detrained small number of passengers and were collected by 2C01 diverted from Reedham. For those not familiar with the area a river runs adjacent to the line. Ballast was reported to be being washed away and unit awaits rescue.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Tidal flood warnings for the Broadland rivers were issued a couple of hours later by the Environment Agency.

TheEdge

Established Member
Well that's the job stopped for a bit...

Lucky it wasn't more serious.

Attachments

• IMG-20220130-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20220130-WA0004.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 990

TheEdge

Established Member
There are (not yet) any public photos or videos of the damage to the trackbed but let's call it "extensive". Could be a few days.

Sleepy

Established Member
There are (not yet) any public photos or videos of the damage to the trackbed but let's call it "extensive". Could be a few days.
o_O Just seen some from the site, and yes both very lucky it wasn't much worse and trackbed damage is pretty bad !! Driver did a superb job stopping in time to avoid a disaster.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Educated guesses on Facebook saying not to expect it to reopen all week. Cudos to the driver I expect that's a very brown trouser moment

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well that's the job stopped for a bit...

Lucky it wasn't more serious.

Seeing how close the water is to the railway that could have been a lot worse if the track had been undermined but wasn’t obvious until you were right on top of it.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
given where it ended up, with just the lead bogie over the hole, the driver must have seen that something wasn't right and has done well to get stopped by the time they did.

londontransit

This morning 0725 Norwich to Lowestoft (2J66) encountered flood water just before Haddiscoe. The crew detrained small number of passengers and were collected by 2C01 diverted from Reedham. For those not familiar with the area a river runs adjacent to the line. Ballast was reported to be being washed away and unit awaits rescue.
For those not familiar with the area it's a canal in fact! Wherry Lines correctly described it as Haddiscoe New Cut.

This was built for the largely failed Norwich and Lowestoft Navigation Company in the 1830s as a short cut for ships from the Suffolk coast to Norwich.

InOban

Established Member
I'm surprised it couldn't be pulled, or pull itself, back. NR confirms that it hasn't derailed.

TheEdge

Established Member
I'm surprised it couldn't be pulled, or pull itself, back. NR confirms that it hasn't derailed.

A lot of the pictures don't show quite how distorted the rails are. Where they've pushed and twisted into the void underneath Newton's Third Law has taken over and pushed and twisted the rails directly underneath the middle of the lead vehicle

ABB125

Established Member
Maybe, but I was told that, contrary to network rail's press release, it did actually derail (but when they tried to pull it back with another unit, not during the incident itself). I can't verify this though.

EDIT: this is incorrect, see below

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
Maybe, but I was told that, contrary to network rail's press release, it did actually derail (but when they tried to pull it back with another unit, not during the incident itself). I can't verify this though.

It didn't derail during the incident. When they tried to pull it back on then the risk of it derailing became too much so they stopped before it did.

Just as further info, much of the voiding wasn't there when the train stopped, but happened as time went on with the train standing over it, that's why the train isn't in a heap somewhere.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
For those not familiar with the area it's a canal in fact! Wherry Lines correctly described it as Haddiscoe New Cut.

This was built for the largely failed Norwich and Lowestoft Navigation Company in the 1830s as a short cut for ships from the Suffolk coast to Norwich.
Fascinating bit of history, thanks, I always wondered (from reading Arthur Ransome!).
It's fully tidal, though, hence the problem.

D6130

Established Member
I notice from the last photo that both lines are still jointed bull-head rail with wooden sleepers and relatively shallow ballast. Had the track been relayed with flat-bottom CWR on concrete sleepers with deeper ballast and built-up ballast 'shoulders', I would think that the track distortion caused by the flooding would have been minimal.

Grumbler

I notice from the last photo that both lines are still jointed bull-head rail with wooden sleepers and relatively shallow ballast. Had the track been relayed with flat-bottom CWR on concrete sleepers with deeper ballast and built-up ballast 'shoulders', I would think that the track distortion caused by the flooding would have been minimal.
Doesn't that mean the track was last replaced in steam days?

dk1

Veteran Member
Unit removed from its precarious position overnight. Work now starting to repair the damaged pway. Expected to be closed until the weekend with RR & a train shuttle to Yarmouth via Reedham standing in.

paul1609

Established Member
Flat Bottom Rail and Concrete sleepers would hold the profile better until the train was on it but would then collapse as the train passed over in my experience. The ballast and shoulders in the video have been washed away.

ashkeba

Established Member
Unit removed from its precarious position overnight. Work now starting to repair the damaged pway. Expected to be closed until the weekend with RR & a train shuttle to Yarmouth via Reedham standing in.
Any damage to the unit?

Trainfan344

Established Member
Norwich to Lowestoft services diverting to Great Yarmouth today with a shuttle bus service running between Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft, not sure how frequent this is.

Hourly Lowestoft to Norwich Via Oulton Broad North also running.

Status
Not open for further replies.