• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flooding Disruption 31 July/1 August

Status
Not open for further replies.

High Dyke

Established Member
For alll the people complaining about EMT not introducing a service on the Hope Valley; they will be running a service calling at Dore & Totley, Grindleford, Hathersage, Bamford and Hope from Tuesday only.
So why didn't someone think of this service before. Oh, I forgot...the railway doesn't do joined up thinking!

Yes there was previously an hour layover at Sheffield, so only one extra diagram to extend to Hope.

I suspect the long layover is the reason for not serving Edale. They would have had to run ECS to Peak Forest to get out of the way of the freights. EMT drivers do not sign that line, so a route conductor would be needed.
Why 4-car sets. Is there that much of a passenger flow from the Hope Valley stations for such a short trip?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
So why didn't someone think of this service before. Oh, I forgot...the railway doesn't do joined up thinking!

Why 4-car sets. Is there that much of a passenger flow from the Hope Valley stations for such a short trip?

EMT have always run 4-car from Liverpool to Nottingham, then 2-car to Norwich. I suspect it's to support the usual flow and usual passengers from Sheffield to Nottingham who are expecting 4 carriages.

Veteran Member

They no doubt thought of it, but these days it takes sorting out.
Attaching and detaching in Sheffield would just complicate matters.

2L70

On Moderation
Noticed Yesterday TPE are terminating South Route trains at Doncaster, for those travelling to Sheffield they have to get on either an overcrowded XC Voyager/Northern Service that stops everywhere...

But that’s TPE I suppose in their head they think everyone wants to go to Manchester.

_toommm_

Established Member
Noticed Yesterday TPE are terminating South Route trains at Doncaster, for those travelling to Sheffield they have to get on either an overcrowded XC Voyager/Northern Service that stops everywhere...

But that’s TPE I suppose in their head they think everyone wants to go to Manchester.

Bearing in mind, without an amended departure time, a TPE from Cleethorpes arrives into Sheffield at xx:08, and would have to turn around and depart again at xx:11. Three minute turnaround on a two hour route, which has to cross the ECML at Doncaster, would not be feasible.

AndyW33

EMT and Northern say their services via the Hope Valley will return to normal tomorrow Wednesday 7th. I assume TPE will do the same. Northern haven't given a date for restarting the Buxton service yet.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Just heard down freight heading from Chinley towards New Mills South Junction!
RTT has this VSTP light engine movement, starting at 1600, that ran from Peak Forest to Hazel Grove, back to Chinley North Jn, then reversed back to Hazel Grove High Level Jn and along the freight line to Northenden Jn, before returning to Peak Forest at 1910. Presumably checking the lines were clear before reopening.

Then this train from Tunstead to Lostock Works (Northwich) would be the one you heard. It passed Chinley North at 1922 and got safely through to the Mid Cheshire line.

unlevel42

Open for traffic between Sheffield Manchester tomorrow.
TPE:
The line between Hazel Grove and Sheffield is expected to fully reopen for start of service on Wednesday 7 August. As such, we anticipate that a normal service will resume between Manchester and Sheffield from tomorrow morning.
EMT:
We will be running a normal timetable on our Liverpool / Nottingham / Norwich route on Wednesday 7th August.
Northern:
"From first thing on the morning of Wednesday 7 August, services will once again operate on the Hope Valley line between Sheffield and Manchester."

Last edited:

Greybeard33

Established Member
Good work by Network Rail. The road closures in New Mills are still in force and could make it difficult for some passengers to get to the station in the morning, unless they are lifted overnight.

oddiesjack

Light engine has gone from Earles to Buxton, and is now running on vstp schedule down to Hazel Grove and back, to check out the "Wessie" line through Whaley Bridge

High Dyke

Established Member
EMT have always run 4-car from Liverpool to Nottingham, then 2-car to Norwich. I suspect it's to support the usual flow and usual passengers from Sheffield to Nottingham who are expecting 4 carriages.
As a frequent user of the service I appreciate that. It was more thinking they could utilise the extra unit throughout to/from Norwich. It would save having to faff about at Nottingham - then perhaps the service may run better to time.

_toommm_

Established Member
As a frequent user of the service I appreciate that. It was more thinking they could utilise the extra unit throughout to/from Norwich. It would save having to faff about at Nottingham - then perhaps the service may run better to time.

There is a real shortage of 158s this morning. The first service out of Nottingham and the first service out of Liverpool were both a 156/158 combo today.

High Dyke

Established Member
There is a real shortage of 158s this morning. The first service out of Nottingham and the first service out of Liverpool were both a 156/158 combo today.
Just another day then... Praise be for proactive reactive maintenance. My good lady hates it when allocated a 158.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Is there a reason why it's not reopened when everything else has?
At a guess, the water level in the Goyt needs to drop further before bridges can be inspected for scour damage caused by the prolonged spell of higher water levels.

EDIT: Though I note from the post above that clearly the inspections have now been carried out satisfactorily.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
At a guess, the water level in the Goyt needs to drop further before bridges can be inspected for scour damage caused by the prolonged spell of higher water levels.

EDIT: Though I note from the post above that clearly the inspections have now been carried out satisfactorily.
Perhaps it's the same set of inspectors and they prioritised the line carrying the main Manchester-Sheffield service?

muz379

Established Member
Is there a reason why it's not reopened when everything else has?
Its easier to just plan for a full reintroduction from the start of a day rather than mid way through one , especially after a prolonged closure like that . At a guess there are probably units that have been stranded or unable to reach places that they need to for a full service to be provided . With the line being open for traffic again those positioning moves can take place ready for morning .

Tracked

Established Member
Bearing in mind, without an amended departure time, a TPE from Cleethorpes arrives into Sheffield at xx:08, and would have to turn around and depart again at xx:11. Three minute turnaround on a two hour route, which has to cross the ECML at Doncaster, would not be feasible.

As a fairly regular user of the TPE service from SHF to DON in the late afternoon I find the chances of it actually departing at xx:11 in normal service seem very slight, it's usually closer to :15 anyway (one day last week, Tue/Wed, they terminated the Cleethorpes-Man Airport train at SHF, it arrived about 15:10 and was heading back to Cleethorpes by 15:16).

Status
Not open for further replies.