• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flooding disruption around Sheffield and Doncaster (7 November onwards)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hope valley has now been closed due to flooding. Also in Scotland the Highland Mainline between Inverness and Aviemore is blocked.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Hope Valley back open again according to the report at nationalrail.co.uk
Disruption between Sheffield and Stockport / Romiley expected until 12:30
Last updated 12/11/2019 10:15
... All lines have reopened between Sheffield and Stockport / Romiley following flooding at Edale

Gems

It's only November. The last time I saw flooding on this scale in November was 2015. We all remember Boxing day that year.

Hold onto your hats.

sheff1

Established Member
"No trains at Rotherham Central.
There is no road replacement available to call at Rotherham Central due to local road closures.
Customers are advised NOT TO TRAVEL"

The frequent local bus routes from Sheffield & Meadowhall to Rotherham have returned to normal operation. As the Bus Interchange at Rotherham is no further from Central station than the Interchange in Sheffield (from which RRBs operatate) is from Sheffield station, I fail to see how any residual road closures means road replacement cannot be made available. Whether any vehicles are available is another matter, but that is not the reason given by Northerm.

The advice NOT TO TRAVEL is ludicrous. Whilst the Tram Train remains suspended passengers have been advised to use the local buses between Meadowhall & Rotherham on which tram tickets are being accepted. Rail ticket holders should also be advised of the availabilty of the local buses (journey time 15 mins) even if ticket acceptance cannot be arranged for whatever reason.

chessie

Hope valley has now been closed due to flooding. Also in Scotland the Highland Mainline between Inverness and Aviemore is blocked.

I was on the 0551 from Chesterfield to Liverpool today, obviously too dark to see the full extent of what was happening this morning when we reached Edale but the rain was belting down and if its flooding around Edale get ready for problems further down stream again if the predicted rain later in the week materialises.

Dont get me wrong you expect full rivers in Autumn/Winter but on the return from Liverpool in daylight view I can only say it is getting a bit ridiculous round here, I probably haven't seen the rivers or saturated fields like this since 2007 and echo the only reason Sheffield hasn't suffered this time is probably because of work last time.

Last edited:

option

Peak Rail is largely underwater, looking at drone images of Darley Dale. It is seen in this piece about the unfortunate woman who drowned there. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-50360306

https://www.national-preservation.c...-and-action-group.983259/page-38#post-2534661

Bridge damaged
99f811debba1d4ee581ea5c0123a897f.jpg

eastwestdivide

Established Member
"No trains at Rotherham Central.
There is no road replacement available to call at Rotherham Central due to local road closures.
Customers are advised NOT TO TRAVEL"

The frequent local bus routes from Sheffield & Meadowhall to Rotherham have returned to normal operation. As the Bus Interchange at Rotherham is no further from Central station than the Interchange in Sheffield (from which RRBs operatate) is from Sheffield station, I fail to see how any residual road closures means road replacement cannot be made available. Whether any vehicles are available is another matter, but that is not the reason given by Northerm.

The advice NOT TO TRAVEL is ludicrous. Whilst the Tram Train remains suspended passengers have been advised to use the local buses between Meadowhall & Rotherham on which tram tickets are being accepted. Rail ticket holders should also be advised of the availabilty of the local buses (journey time 15 mins) even if ticket acceptance cannot be arranged for whatever reason.

You're absolutely right, ticket acceptance should be put in place for the X1/X78 between Meadowhall-Rotherham. Current bus info says all buses round there are back to normal.
However, there's been awkward roadworks near Rotherham station, causing fair old tailbacks onto Centenary Way at times recently, so they may be reluctant to commit RRBs there. Poor excuse for the 'do not travel' advice though.
I'm booked to travel to Rotherham tomorrow as it happens, via Doncaster, so will have to see what the advice is on the ground. Ticket booked via LNER on Monday for travel on Wednesday, no advice given, itinerary shows a normal Rotherham arrival.

YorksDMU

I’ve looked at both NRE and RTT, and services are running to time this morning with just one cancellation to Scarborough with, according to RTT the 07.25 from Hull to Scarborough being replaced by a slower train than scheduled - a Pacer presumably. Otherwise, Rotherham Central remains closed until Friday.
The rain tomorrow looks less heavy and continuous and, hopefully, will not exacerbate the flooding too much.

londonmidland

Established Member
Although unlikely to affect the railway, the River Trent just north of East Midlands Parkway looks particularly high today.

Where the two rivers, the Cranfleet Canal and River Trent, separate under the bridge, with a bit of land in between, that is completely flooded. So it is now one big river.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Although unlikely to affect the railway, the River Trent just north of East Midlands Parkway looks particularly high today.

Where the two rivers, the Cranfleet Canal and River Trent, separate under the bridge, with a bit of land in between, that is completely flooded. So it is now one big river.
The Soar joins the Trent just to the west and the Derwent not too far beyond, so this area is essentially left to flood. The few older buildings nearby are raised up, and the owner of the nearby golf driving range complained on local TV when it flooded in 2000.

Building defences to channel the water past this area would probably result in flooding in the Nottingham built-up area downstream. My mother-in-law remembers flooding over a mile from the Trent in 1948 but since then the city itself has avoided flooding. Attenborough also flooded in 2000, resulting in new defences including the concrete wall that follows the south side of the railway between Trent and Attenborough.

YorksDMU

I was on the train to Sheffield in the afternoon, and saw, first hand, the flooding either side of the railway in the Kirk Sandall area as well as Mexborough and Conisbrough. The fields are so full of water, which is just an inch or two from the rails. Tomorrow’s rain will only make the railway submerge under flood waters once again.
And I too thought about building houses on stilts or something like that. We do need to think of something to help stop future flooding.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

johnnychips

Established Member
On Tuesday the 0708 TPE was announced as delayed so I got the 0701 stopper from Sheffield. The guard said the service had been retimed as it couldn’t call at Rotherham Central and would arrive at Doncaster early, which it did. Today the 0708 was on time, but then stopped outside Swinton. The guard explained that our train normally overtook the stopper, but it was waiting in Swinton till its booked time and we would be following it to Doncaster. Pity it couldn’t be retimed again, or we couldn’t overtake it in the Swinton avoiding line via Kilnhurst, or the goods loop at Conisbrough.
Coming home, the stopper got to Meadowhall six minutes early and left immediately, thus only delaying the following TPE by five minutes.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
On Tuesday the 0708 TPE was announced as delayed so I got the 0701 stopper from Sheffield. The guard said the service had been retimed as it couldn’t call at Rotherham Central and would arrive at Doncaster early, which it did. Today the 0708 was on time, but then stopped outside Swinton. The guard explained that our train normally overtook the stopper, but it was waiting in Swinton till its booked time and we would be following it to Doncaster. Pity it couldn’t be retimed again, or we couldn’t overtake it in the Swinton avoiding line via Kilnhurst, or the goods loop at Conisbrough.
Coming home, the stopper got to Meadowhall six minutes early and left immediately, thus only delaying the following TPE by five minutes.
I think the Kilnhurst line is also out of action from the flooding - today the Traksy diagram shows CON TROL FAIL URE SHUT across 5 sections, while the Rotherham Central area shows a lot of C031 and FLUD SHUT.
My trip back to Rotherham yesterday was via Meadowhall and the local buses. No rail ticket acceptance annoyingly, even though they managed to arrange acceptance of rail tickets on the tram-train earlier in the year when there was non-weather related disruption on the railway around Sheffield.

johnnychips

Established Member
0701 was retimed today and ran 12 early from Swinton onwards. Meanwhile it has been raining since 1400 with same intensity as last week.

johnnychips

Established Member
Rotherham Central open. However, flooding at Kirk Sandall between Doncaster and Thorne. 0708 Sheffield to Cleethorpes terminated at Sheffield to turn round and work to Manchester. This seemed to be a surprise to the staff at Sheffield, where communication is typically rubbish: they were advising passengers for London to take it and change at Doncaster. Passengers for Doncaster could have taken the 0701 stopper if they had been advised.
EDIT: Tram trains still cancelled.

Last edited:

YorksDMU

On NRE it also states:

Northern
Rail replacement buses will operate as follows:
  • 3 x Full size Ross Travel coaches to run Doncaster - Goole (calling booked stations) ETA 07.00
  • 3 x Full size Cab Executive coaches to run Goole - Doncaster (calling booked stations) ETA from 07.15
Additional information:
Work is under way to pump the flood water away from the railway and to ensure repairs are made to the infrastructure to enable services to resume as soon as it is safe to do so.

LittleAH

Rotherham Central open. However, flooding at Kirk Sandall between Doncaster and Thorne. 0708 Sheffield to Cleethorpes terminated at Sheffield to turn round and work to Manchester. This seemed to be a surprise to the staff at Sheffield, where communication is typically rubbish: they were advising passengers for London to take it and change at Doncaster. Passengers for Doncaster could have taken the 0701 stopper if they had been advised.
EDIT: Tram trains still cancelled.

Given how quickly things are changing, you can't blame poor communication. It's part and parcel of having to change things minute by minute.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On NRE it also states:

Northern
Rail replacement buses will operate as follows:
  • 3 x Full size Ross Travel coaches to run Doncaster - Goole (calling booked stations) ETA 07.00
  • 3 x Full size Cab Executive coaches to run Goole - Doncaster (calling booked stations) ETA from 07.15
Additional information:
Work is under way to pump the flood water away from the railway and to ensure repairs are made to the infrastructure to enable services to resume as soon as it is safe to do so.

It's a bit disappointing that the current entity of Northern has completely given up on arranging diversions via Selby. Planned diversions through Selby, as well as last minute ones due to issues on the Goole line, used to be pretty commonplace just a few years ago. Are the issues related to pathing, crew knowledge, a combination or something I've not thought of?

To add insult to injury the semi-fast (Bridlington-Sheffield) is being truncated at Hull, leaving only one train/hour between Goole and Hull to meet the rail replacements. Not ideal really!

johnnychips

Established Member
Given how quickly things are changing, you can't blame poor communication. It's part and parcel of having to change things minute by minute.
I’m not into moaning and blaming. Like any incidents, when it’s all over, I hope there will be a debrief to see what things could be done better. Considering the 0708 from Sheffield to Manchester had been terminated at Scunthorpe about an hour earlier, I am just surprised that the TPE guard on the arriving train from Manchester seemed to be the only person who knew it was terminating and reversing. Anyway, there is a lovely refurbished 158 on the Adwick today which I caught to Donny and am currently returning on.

Status
Not open for further replies.