• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flybe Collapses

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have no idea what would be involved in starting a ferry service at very short notice, but it doesn't sound straightforward.

It is, though, a route that they run during the summer so I suspect the only significant hurdle to overcome is finding sufficient crew to run it at short notice as I'm not sure how their crewing arrangements work for Manannan (i.e. do they just take on extra staff for the summer?). Though considering the service starts on 27 March anyway I'd expect all of that will be in hand at this point so it probably wouldn't have been impossible to start up a few weeks earlier!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

berneyarms

Established Member
Where are LoganAir finding all these aircraft? Are they taking on all of Flybes aircraft or something?
Some from better utilisation of existing aircraft and there are additional aircraft (ATR72) being delivered.

The frequency on the routes are much less than Flybe offered so they can cover several routes with less aircraft.

The Flybe aircraft are all still grounded.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Where are LoganAir finding all these aircraft? Are they taking on all of Flybes aircraft or something?
Their ERJ fleet is underutilised and so they are freeing up aircraft that way at the moment. They are also taking on ATR-72's and ATR42s which is allowing some fleet expansion although originally these additions were to replace saab2000 and saab340 props I think they may now stay later to allow some additional flights in short term.

Note some flights taken over from flybe don't start yet and are likely waiting for sufficient aircraft, this one will be high priority for Isle of Man government.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Their ERJ fleet is underutilised and so they are freeing up aircraft that way at the moment. They are also taking on ATR-72's and ATR42s which is allowing some fleet expansion although originally these additions were to replace saab2000 and saab340 props I think they may now stay later to allow some additional flights in short term.

Note some flights taken over from flybe don't start yet and are likely waiting for sufficient aircraft, this one will be high priority for Isle of Man government.
As a side point, I noticed on one of the Loganair press releases they used both AT7 and ATR-72 types. Are they different ways of referring to the same planes?

frodshamfella

Established Member
That's pretty much what Flybe were doing, to be fair, as they'd binned off the midday flights to Liverpool and Manchester.

I wonder if they'll do it themselves or subcontract to Stobart?

In other news, Flybe owe £300k to the Manx government. Oops.

ETA They've impounded a Q400 until it is paid. Maybe they can use it for patient transfers? :lol:

Stobart have now collapsed, so only really got Loganair left. I've noticed their flights IOM-LPL flights have often been sold out. With quarantine requirements by IOM govt of 14 days now not sure how this will affect things. I can't see Loganair adding Manchester or Birmingham at present.

berneyarms

Established Member
The Holding Company is in administration.

Stobart Air in the form of EI Regional is still flying.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It might not be a bad thing for the IoM if they were to close their "border", it's hardly there

From tonight non-residents are not allowed to come here, and residents returning home must quarantine themselves for 14 days. Needless to say demand for air travel has dropped.

Stobart have now collapsed, so only really got Loganair left.

Connect Airways, who owned 49% Stobart as well as Flybe, have gone. What that means for Stobart Air remains to be seen, but for now they carry on as Aer Lingus Regional.

frodshamfella

Established Member
From tonight non-residents are not allowed to come here, and residents returning home must quarantine themselves for 14 days. Needless to say demand for air travel has dropped.

Connect Airways, who owned 49% Stobart as well as Flybe, have gone. What that means for Stobart Air remains to be seen, but for now they carry on as Aer Lingus Regional.

Yes indeed, what I meant was Loganair is the only real option, so hopefully they stick at it. We are not going to see Stobart Air flying in their own right, only under Aer Lingus as you say. Eastern Airways seem pretty busy with their own new routes.

Butts

Veteran Member
Have got all my money back through chargebacks with Yorkshire Bank and Capital One - didn't notice the last of it came through a week ago. Took just over two weeks from collapse to cashback - quicker than I was expecting.

devonexpress

Stobart have now collapsed, so only really got Loganair left. I've noticed their flights IOM-LPL flights have often been sold out. With quarantine requirements by IOM govt of 14 days now not sure how this will affect things. I can't see Loganair adding Manchester or Birmingham at present.
Stobart's part in VC went into administration, Stobart have now bought it out. One of thing's I never understood is why Flybe spreaded itself out across London airports, why not have two hubs? London & Southend both with good transport links. Possible Heathrow as a maximum third, instead of having flights to City, Gatwick, Heathrow, Stansted & Southend.

johntea

Established Member
Looks like Eastern Airways have taken on the former Flybe Leeds Bradford to Newquay services which is good news as I always fancied trying it out but never got round to it before!

Butts

Veteran Member
Looks like Eastern Airways have taken on the former Flybe Leeds Bradford to Newquay services which is good news as I always fancied trying it out but never got round to it before!

If you are referring to Eastern Airways rather than the destination I hope you have deep pockets !!

No £25 specials with them.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Looks like Flybe is unexpectedly supporting Loganair… https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-53076806
Loganair said in a statement: "A Loganair Embraer 145 regional jet, parked with no passengers or crew members aboard, was hit by a former Flybe Bombardier Q400 aircraft, which we understand was being prepared for departure after being stored at Aberdeen Airport.

"The nose of the Q400 impacted the rear starboard side of the Embraer, becoming lodged underneath and lifting the right main gear off the ground.

Whisky Papa

It was somewhat ironic to see Exeter City playing their League 2 playoff last night with FlyBe still as their shirt sponsor. Presumably there will be a new one for next season.

I heard a familiar sound that I've not heard for a few months, when in the garden early this afternoon.
I looked up to see a FlyBe Dash-8 climbing out from Southampton, heading east.
This aircraft's first flight since the airline folded at the beginning of March.

Looking at FL24, it was being ferried to Saarbrucken in Germany, using its UK registration, G-ECOE as its callsign.
Presumably released back to the leasing co. and flying off for storage elsewhere, or to be prepared for delivery to a new operator.
Quite a few of the large FlyBe Dash-8 fleet have already flown out of UK airports.

I thought it rather sad to see it heading off into the distance.

Butts

Veteran Member
I heard a familiar sound that I've not heard for a few months, when in the garden early this afternoon.
I looked up to see a FlyBe Dash-8 climbing out from Southampton, heading east.
This aircraft's first flight since the airline folded at the beginning of March.

Looking at FL24, it was being ferried to Saarbrucken in Germany, using its UK registration, G-ECOE as its callsign.
Presumably released back to the leasing co. and flying off for storage elsewhere, or to be prepared for delivery to a new operator.
Quite a few of the large FlyBe Dash-8 fleet have already flown out of UK airports.

I thought it rather sad to see it heading off into the distance.

I miss Flybe as well, but mainly the Embraers and two by two seating - no piggy in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.