• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Food prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebor79

Established Member
Getting the right flour is not easy down my way, although pretty much everything not produced locally has been awkward for a couple of years now. Fortunately there *are* things produced locally must be qutie awkward some other places.
You can buy Heygates flour online. Makes very good bread and is the flour used by the Quay Bakery in Fowey which makes the best loaf I've ever eaten (granary tin loaf). I've not been quite able to emulate it at home - can't get the same rise and open texture they do, but I'm there on the flavour!
That Quay Bakery bread is almost worth the annual all day drive down to Cornwall by itself.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamiescott1

(Discussion about prices scanning higher than the shelf labels)

I think in most cases you're correct that this will often be a case of people mistakenly not replacing labels.

However there's a related issue which do wonder whether it is deliberate: Multi-buy deals that only apply to one variant of a product, but you only see the restriction if you read the very small print on the price labels. I would say, Morrisons is by far the main culprit here: Typical example I encountered today :4-pack Bliss corner yoghurts advertised on the shelf as £2.25 each or two for £3.00 (As I recall, that offer has been ongoing for some months, and I've taken advantage of it on several occasions). But today when I scanned my purchase, the yoghurts came up without the discount. I questioned it, so the staff went and checked - to inform me that the offer now only applies to the raspberry flavoured ones - which is not clear on a quick glance at the shelf labels.

It's impossible to be certain, but I've encountered this kind of thing on several occasions at Morrisons - and it looks very suspiciously as if they are relying on lots of people not looking at the yellow offer labels too closely and not checking their receipts before they leave the store.

Its funny you should say that as I noticed that when I used to shop in morrisons.
For example they'd have an end of aisle display of colegate whitening with a price tag of special for £1. When you'd look closer at the price tag you'd notice its for colegate whitening plus. Deliberately intended to confuse people

Gloster

Established Member
Another one from Morrison’s. A basket with a notice on it showing a certain flavour of a well-known brand of crisps as on offer. However, the packets in the basket were of another flavour from the same brand that was not on offer. Easy to pick up a packet out of the basket believing it is on offer.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Interestingly it's the opposite way round in my store: wholemeal is 80p and white is 90p.
It’s 90p on their website too.

You can buy Heygates flour online. Makes very good bread and is the flour used by the Quay Bakery in Fowey which makes the best loaf I've ever eaten (granary tin loaf). I've not been quite able to emulate it at home - can't get the same rise and open texture they do, but I'm there on the flavour!
That Quay Bakery bread is almost worth the annual all day drive down to Cornwall by itself.
Is there a difference between branded flour, cheap supermarket brands, and standard supermarket brands? I’ve always bought whatever is the cheapest for my needs and personally always had the expected result.

Last edited:

Halwynd

What I have also noticed is that it doesn't matter when you shop a lot of the shelving is empty, where faced with high and often weekly increments of on main brand items, people opt for the cheaper brands or store own brands. I know there was a disagreement between Heinz and ASDA a while back, but ASDA stated if they bowed to Heinz's pricing sales would fall. Well looking at the rows and rows of Heinz tomato ketchup next to the empty shelves where every other brand once existed I would have to agree with them. No one wants to pay £2.80 for a 460g bottle when a 550g bottle of ASDA's own sauce is just 75p. Heck even a 430g bottle of Helman's was priced up at £1.00, so its a no brainer as to why Heinz sauce wasn't moving. People could be overheard saying that they would just see what's in Tesco, Sainsbury's or Lidl as we have all three in walking distance of each other. This could be found all over the store. Shelves full of Pepsi priced at £2.20 for a 2ltr bottle next to empty shelves of their own which was priced at 80p for a 2lt bottle....

I used to purchase tins of Heinz Scotch broth until a few months ago when their prices became silly - £1.60 I saw one time. It is quite thin and usually had fat instead of lamb, so I decided to try Asda's own brand at 55p. I wasn't expecting much but what a revelation - a far superior soup with a better quantity and selection of vegetables than Heinz. Add three slices of Asda's thick wholemeal bread and I have a tasty and very filling meal for 70p. It's so tasty I've just bought a dozen more tins. PS, I don't work for Asda!

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
From the previous few posts I would suggest that Morrisons is going down the pan. A desperate need for the new owners to recover the price they paid perhaps?

Empty shelves, higher prices (often massively so) than competitors, misleading sales tactics, no shelf edge pricing.

I have a 'My Morrisons' card. They give me offers, I activate them online, I go to the shop and scan the items at the till, I scan my card, the till recognises the card, I do not receive my offers! As it happens the offer is for things I would buy anyway.

Today there were shelf edge labels, but with no price information on them, for Market Street Quiches. Interestingly they have gone up from £1.50 to £1.80, as I now know having bought some. The labels do however have a scan code thingy, perhaps I am expected to use that to learn the price.

So long as they do decent pies I shall continue shopping there however as Tesco does not understand the concept of pies!

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Another one from Morrison’s. A basket with a notice on it showing a certain flavour of a well-known brand of crisps as on offer. However, the packets in the basket were of another flavour from the same brand that was not on offer. Easy to pick up a packet out of the basket believing it is on offer.

Sounds like someone needs to do an online investigation of Morrisons pricing.

Thinking about it, I can't recall ever having a problem with misleading offer labels at any other supermarket (except on one occasion at Lidl) - as far as I can remember, if there's a problem it's always Morrisons.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Just seen in Iceland - frozen chips at £2, but 25% off with their Bonus Card…. At £1.75 (Marked price on the shelf!)

Irascible

Established Member
Is there a difference between branded flour, cheap supermarket brands, and standard supermarket brands? I’ve always bought whatever is the cheapest for my needs and personally always had the expected result.

For making bread, definitely. I don't bake very much, I'll poll some opinions.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For making bread, definitely. I don't bake very much, I'll poll some opinions.
I just use Strong white (or wholemeal) bread flour, but always buy the supermarket own brand and it’s fine for me. I’d say in bread it’s the yeast that tended to make the bigger difference.

Acey

I just use Strong white (or wholemeal) bread flour, but always buy the supermarket own brand and it’s fine for me. I’d say in bread it’s the yeast that tended to make the bigger difference.
Been making my own bread for a few years using Sainsburys strong bread flour,a few weeks ago I ran out of it so used ordinary plain flour instead,the result? practically no difference ( except the price £1.30 as opposed to 58p for plain flour )

trebor79

Established Member
Flour does make a big difference, it's all about the protien, gluten and starch levels. It's not really a case of branded vs unbranded, but the flour that best suits whatever it is you are making.
Biscuit manufacturers pay very close attention tot he flour they use too because if the specification is wrong the biscuits end up the wrong size after baking and won't fit in the packaging or don't have the right texture etc.
You might get a more consistent specification from something marketed as bread flour, whereas a bog standard bag of "flour" is likely whatever they happened to buy.

spyinthesky

Price matches are also misleading
Tesco price match Aldi with 4 x Heinz baked beans at £3.49 (0.8725ea)but in Aldi I only see x6 for £4.29(0.715) yet Lidl 3.49 for 6 (0.5817)

It’s time to live off Love Hearts, no price increase in 10 years

malc-c

Not sure what's going on at ASDA, but a lot of their deals advertised on the shelves are not showing up at the tills. Following on from the issue with the rice the other week, ASDA have for a long time offered a saving when you buy two 2ltr bottles of Dr Pepper. £2.00 a bottle or two bottles for £3.00. Well as this week was a small shop, and it had been a while since we had any, so I picked up two bottles - the shelf stated any two products just £3, with other 2ltr bottles of fanta etc. On scanning no saver discount was applied.... needless to say one was placed back on the shelf and deducted from the scan and go handset.

I've also found myself reading weights and working out if whats on offer is a true saving. Today I needed Bisto Gravy granules. The 350g tub was priced up for £3.49. Next to it was 190g tubs priced up at £1.50. So I could get 380g for £3.00, so 30g more for 49p less.....

Silver Cobra

Not sure what's going on at ASDA, but a lot of their deals advertised on the shelves are not showing up at the tills. Following on from the issue with the rice the other week, ASDA have for a long time offered a saving when you buy two 2ltr bottles of Dr Pepper. £2.00 a bottle or two bottles for £3.00. Well as this week was a small shop, and it had been a while since we had any, so I picked up two bottles - the shelf stated any two products just £3, with other 2ltr bottles of fanta etc. On scanning no saver discount was applied.... needless to say one was placed back on the shelf and deducted from the scan and go handset.

Most likely in that particular store the colleague responsible for price changes accidentally overlooked needing to change that label. It can happen, especially if printing a large number of labels at once and the printer fails to print a few of those labels (I had to do label changes myself on Wednesday and encountered my printer failing to print 3 labels in a batch of 30; I luckily spotted it but some other colleagues may not).

malc-c

Most likely in that particular store the colleague responsible for price changes accidentally overlooked needing to change that label. It can happen, especially if printing a large number of labels at once and the printer fails to print a few of those labels (I had to do label changes myself on Wednesday and encountered my printer failing to print 3 labels in a batch of 30; I luckily spotted it but some other colleagues may not).
Possibly. As mentioned in a post above the store now has these electronic price tags, but I have no idea if they are "programmed" by a member of staff entering the deal into a device and bluetoothing the data to the price tag, or if the tags are wifi enabled and receive the data from the stores servers or the national servers via the network ?

takno

Established Member
Possibly. As mentioned in a post above the store now has these electronic price tags, but I have no idea if they are "programmed" by a member of staff entering the deal into a device and bluetoothing the data to the price tag, or if the tags are wifi enabled and receive the data from the stores servers or the national servers via the network ?
Should be bluetooth, but then you have a different challenge, of whether the system is correctly detecting when an update to a label fails (due to dead battery, or just transient bluetooth issues), and if the system is correctly detecting this whether there is actually somebody being assigned to go out onto the shopfloor and sort it

Acey

This is odd pricing Sainsburys plain flour 500gm=40p
1.5kg =58p so 18p for an additional kg ,no wonder so much food gets thrown away !

trebor79

Established Member
This is odd pricing Sainsburys plain flour 500gm=40p
1.5kg =58p so 18p for an additional kg ,no wonder so much food gets thrown away !
Makes perfect sense actually. For a low value item like that, packaging, transport, warehousing and paying someone to put it on the shelf is a significant portion of the cost. All of those costs are essentially fixed, so if you can sell 3 times as much product the unit cost per kg is going to be much lower.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Makes perfect sense actually. For a low value item like that, packaging, transport, warehousing and paying someone to put it on the shelf is a significant portion of the cost. All of those costs are essentially fixed, so if you can sell 3 times as much product the unit cost per kg is going to be much lower.

I can see that packaging is going to cost a lot more for smaller packs, and to some extent putting them on the shelf. But wouldn't transport and warehousing costs be almost entirely determined by weight and volume? I'd expect 3 x 500g packs to cost about the same to transport and warehouse as 1 x 1.5kg pack.

malc-c

I sometimes wonder if the supermarkets are cashing in on our current "cost of living" situation. We used to buy 2ltr Pepsi, mainly when it was on a multisave at ASDA. But then the price crept up and up until its now £2.20 per bottle. My kids then inform me that 8 bottles of 2ltr Pepsi are £12 in Costco, and similar in The Food Warehouse (part of Iceland). Now if Iceland and Costco have the buying power to negotiate lower prices for such items, you would have thought the likes of Asda, Sainsbury's and Tesco would be getting things a lot cheaper. Or maybe they are, but just not choosing to pass it on. It could rise to speculate that there is a cartel between the top three / four supermarkets as the price for a 2ltr pepsi is £2.20 - £2.25 in all of them. I wouldn't have thought that Costco / Iceland would be running this line as a loos leader....

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I wouldn't have thought that Costco / Iceland would be running this line as a loos leader....

I eland certainly have form for loss leading on coke / Pepsi / 7up etc so it doesn’t surprise me at all.

takno

Established Member
I sometimes wonder if the supermarkets are cashing in on our current "cost of living" situation. We used to buy 2ltr Pepsi, mainly when it was on a multisave at ASDA. But then the price crept up and up until its now £2.20 per bottle. My kids then inform me that 8 bottles of 2ltr Pepsi are £12 in Costco, and similar in The Food Warehouse (part of Iceland). Now if Iceland and Costco have the buying power to negotiate lower prices for such items, you would have thought the likes of Asda, Sainsbury's and Tesco would be getting things a lot cheaper. Or maybe they are, but just not choosing to pass it on. It could rise to speculate that there is a cartel between the top three / four supermarkets as the price for a 2ltr pepsi is £2.20 - £2.25 in all of them. I wouldn't have thought that Costco / Iceland would be running this line as a loos leader....
You'd expect a pretty reasonable bulk discount for buying 8x the quantity, particularly if it means you're buying a whole case rather than making the store mess around with individual 2ltr bottles. The individual bottles used to fall off shelves and break all the time when I worked in Iceland, and they're an absolute pain to clear up.

Overall I'd say 30% off is more than reasonable

Sm5

This year is the first year Ive gone 3 months without needing to buy much veg at all.

Last year we kept the seeds as well as eating the food, after 3 years trying this year paid off.

Weve had nearly 50 peppers off one plant alone, we had 7 plants and 4 different types of pepper. 50 Garlic, 60+ Carrots, 200+ Tomatos, 15kg of Potatos, 100+ Cucumbers, 30 Sweetcorn, 200+ Onions, Lettuce, Raddish… plus 10kg Grapes, 100+ Gooseberries, 100+ Blackberries, 7kg Raspberries, Strawberries, Blackcurrant all on a 5m x 8m plot…

Its taken 3 years from lockdown to get there, but weve not half cut the shopping bill since June… Cant tell you how much any of the above costs in our supermarket.. ive not needed to buy it… Meat, Fish, Milk, Bread, Butter pretty much all we needed.

Whilst its undeniably a time consumer of my weekends between March and May, there after with automatic watering via an App (Tuya) that measures moisture and weather temperatures, the job was largely left to itself, it was entirely to its self all August..we left the country all month, and it was a green oasis waiting for us when we came back.

its not that hard, and its amazing what will grow in a small amount of soil.. we got 20 cucumbers off 1 plant over the summer, and it was only in around 5 litres of soil (about £1.50’s worth out of a B&Q grow bag) . Its more of a pleasure spending 2-3 hours a week picking something youve grown and a bit of trimming.

Will plant Garlic shortly for next year (40 cloves (segments) in 10 £1 black plastic b&q buckets re-using the tomato soil. We rotate the soil each year).

Next up is something new, weve got an NPK tester to make sure the balance is right for next year….

my other passion is cooking.. and nothing tastes better than using fresh veg.

And finally that fruit, well weve added some alcohol to some of that fruit we froze to juice…

Whats the cost, this year i’d say average 5p per veg by year 3, probably less, over 2000 items of veg this year, the fruit costs nowt at this point its taking care of itself.. Freezer is holding the excess, pickled salad, salsa, brushetta, bolognaise sauce, soups etc etc… the hardies are in bags in the garage.. never thought i’d get that out of a south london garden.

before covid, I was Mr City boy, takeouts, frozen food aisle etc.. its worth a shot if youve a bit of space, all the above was from less than 200 seeds planted, most of which were taken from something previously eaten (plus garlic, onion, leek which are their own)… each potato planted yielded about 8-10 potatos grown… the Chili and Wax peppers simply went nuts.. weve still pulling around 6 a week now from each plant, all I did was get a little generous with Tomatorite.

Last edited:

Irascible

Established Member
Flour does make a big difference, it's all about the protien, gluten and starch levels. It's not really a case of branded vs unbranded, but the flour that best suits whatever it is you are making.
Biscuit manufacturers pay very close attention tot he flour they use too because if the specification is wrong the biscuits end up the wrong size after baking and won't fit in the packaging or don't have the right texture etc.
You might get a more consistent specification from something marketed as bread flour, whereas a bog standard bag of "flour" is likely whatever they happened to buy.
Yes, I should have brought that point out - it's not about "premium" vs standard product, it's just being selective. My mum generally tries to pick economical solutions, but she's found a particular flour for bread that she'll just get whatever the price ( I think it's also not terribly expensive, I'll have to ask her more when I see her again ).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Weve had nearly 50 peppers off one plant alone, we had 7 plants and 4 different types of pepper. 50 Garlic, 60+ Carrots, 200+ Tomatos, 15kg of Potatos, 100+ Cucumbers, 30 Sweetcorn, 200+ Onions, Lettuce, Raddish… plus 10kg Grapes, 100+ Gooseberries, 100+ Blackberries, 7kg Raspberries, Strawberries, Blackcurrant all on a 5m x 8m plot…

It has been a spectacular year for growing food. I’ve had nearly half a ton of cooking apples off one tree. Couldn’t give them away, so most have gone in the green bin. (And at £2/kg in the supermarket, it has really hurt to throw away £1000).

philjo

Established Member
I am looking to get a larger freezer to store more boxes of faller Bramley apples which won’t store otherwise. Last Spring after we had used our stored ones it was costing about £10 each week to buy about 5 decent sized apples.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It has been a spectacular year for growing food. I’ve had nearly half a ton of cooking apples off one tree. Couldn’t give them away, so most have gone in the green bin. (And at £2/kg in the supermarket, it has really hurt to throw away £1000).
I have two choices with Bramleys at the moment - either go to a greengrocer or supermarket and pay that £2/kg they've all independently of one another agreed they should charge, or drive about five miles to somewhere in the countryside that is not on the way to anywhere else and pick up a bag containing at least four giant apples for £1, should they have any left. I'm very tempted to do the latter, but I'll chide myself if it's a wasted journey. The petrol cost is not an issue, just don't want to pay those graspers.

Status
Not open for further replies.