• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Out of the 2 Cup semi finals the Scottish Cup one was far more entertaining for the neutral, the English one showed Arsenal aren't the team everyone thought they were going to be this season (My Daughter is a Gooner btw) Even if they win the FA Cup, Premier League wise they're falling further behind each season

For the last two seasons some people have been saying Arsenal scraped into the top four, at the start of this season many people were saying there was no way Arsenal would finish in the top four, no chance of a trophy, wouldn't even get out of the group stage of the Champions League (even more so when the groups were drawn). When they were eight points clear at the top earlier in the season, many people were still saying Arsenal would not win a trophy. Now they are in the FA Cup Final and just outside the top four in the league and people are saying Arsenal aren't the team they thought they were, that they have blown their chance.......

fowler9

Established Member
For the last two seasons some people have been saying Arsenal scraped into the top four, at the start of this season many people were saying there was no way Arsenal would finish in the top four, no chance of a trophy, wouldn't even get out of the group stage of the Champions League (even more so when the groups were drawn). When they were eight points clear at the top earlier in the season, many people were still saying Arsenal would not win a trophy. Now they are in the FA Cup Final and just outside the top four in the league and people are saying Arsenal aren't the team they thought they were, that they have blown their chance.......

So Arsenal are out of the top four and might win a cup. Its a bit like what people have been taking the **** out of Liverpool for for years. Just take it on the chin and don't worry too much.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Didn't they win the League Cup in the eighties if I remember correctly :p

They were in the FA Cup Final in 1959, playing against Nottingham Forest. Lost by the odd goal in three.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Dorchester town relegated forum the conference south 13-14 :(

As the sole Hyde supporter on this forum, can I offer my commiserations to you, having also experienced a relegation this season.

Oswyntail

Established Member
....As the sole Hyde supporter on this forum, can I offer my commiserations to you, having also experienced a relegation this season.
I suspect there will be quite a large attendance to bid your team farewell on the last day. Including Mrs O, who was impressed with the ground on her previous visit.

Johnuk123

Established Member
I am pleased to see Wolves doing well to be fair. Proper club in my opinion. 2nd biggest in the Midlands for sure.

The team are doing ok but the management of the club itself is still a shambles.

On attendance we're 3rd best behind Villa and Tescos, I will be quite happy with mid-table nest season as the Championship has some decent teams in it.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Tonight's match of Everton v Crystal Palace has implications for both sides for somewhat differing reasons.

Everton 2...Crystal Palace 3.....:shock:

Any guesses what Victor Meldrew might have said...:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
************************************************************************************************

Copa del Rey Final

Barcelona 1...Real Madrid 2

Gareth Bale scored what seemed to be a very good goal

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Tony Pulis is adding more ammunition to calls for him to be manager of the season. To think he took over when they had 4 points at the end of November, and now they've hit 40 with 4 games to go shows an incredible turn around. Perhaps we need to praise holloway for recognising early he wasn't up for the task, and jumping early rather than wait to be sacked. Probably the only management change to have delivered a big improvement.
I've attached a screen print from the BBC of how the league would look if taken after Pulis took over. Apparently only Chelsea have conceded less goals since he took over as well

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Skrill Conference North

Stalybridge Celtic 2....North Ferriby United 3

In what looks to becoming a very poor season for all the three Tameside teams, with Hyde and Droylsden already relegated from their respective leagues, this home defeat sees Stalybridge Celtic still in the bottom two places.

Good news though for North Ferriby United, who are now top of the league with a better differential than the second side.

Butts

Veteran Member
Tony Pulis is adding more ammunition to calls for him to be manager of the season. To think he took over when they had 4 points at the end of November, and now they've hit 40 with 4 games to go shows an incredible turn around. Perhaps we need to praise holloway for recognising early he wasn't up for the task, and jumping early rather than wait to be sacked. Probably the only management change to have delivered a big improvement.
I've attached a screen print from the BBC of how the league would look if taken after Pulis took over. Apparently only Chelsea have conceded less goals since he took over as well

Are you forgetting how boring Stoke were under his stewardship :idea:

He's good at keeping teams up but that's about it - have to concede he has worked miracles at Palace.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The team are doing ok but the management of the club itself is still a shambles.

On attendance we're 3rd best behind Villa and Tescos, I will be quite happy with mid-table nest season as the Championship has some decent teams in it.

On the footballing side, the management are anything but a shambles. I've been privileged to have had several chats with KJ over the past decade, mostly before he became our coach, and he is discretely, exceptionally, competent.

On the ownership side, I'm led to believe that the management have learnt a few lessons, albeit the hard way. Shambolic 2 years ago, but not now.

Re attendance, we may well be behind Sandwell, but then we're two leagues lower. There will be comfortably more at Molineux on Friday v Rotherham than were at the 'other place' v Spurs last Saturday.

Next season will be fun. I am a football pessimist (following Wolves for 40 years you have to be) but watch out for us....

Johnuk123

Established Member
On the footballing side, the management are anything but a shambles. I've been privileged to have had several chats with KJ over the past decade, mostly before he became our coach, and he is discretely, exceptionally, competent.

On the ownership side, I'm led to believe that the management have learnt a few lessons, albeit the hard way. Shambolic 2 years ago, but not now.

Re attendance, we may well be behind Sandwell, but then we're two leagues lower. There will be comfortably more at Molineux on Friday v Rotherham than were at the 'other place' v Spurs last Saturday.

Next season will be fun. I am a football pessimist (following Wolves for 40 years you have to be) but watch out for us....

You have been a fan as long as me and I agree with most of what you say.
I still think though the club has a fair way to go to convince me they have learnt enough lessons from the past.

steamybrian

Established Member

That is 4 wins in row for Palace including beating Chelsea.:D:D:D:D:D:D
It means we have almost avoided relegation...:D:D:D:D:D:D

Because we recently thrashed Cardiff at their ground they are having "sour grapes" and want the game replayed because their team was leaked out in advance. The pure fact is the match is decided in 90 mins on the pitch regardless of when the team was announced.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member

Because we recently thrashed Cardiff at their ground they are having "sour grapes" and want the game replayed because their team was leaked out in advance. The pure fact is the match is decided in 90 mins on the pitch regardless of when the team was announced.

I hope we beat you, and also Chelsea. No hard feelings or anything. :D

richw

Veteran Member

I'm under the impression your line up against Cardiff was identical to your line up the previous 2 matches as well, which says to me that it made no difference to pulis's line up.
My initial thought as a neutral was bad losers. Isn't it a job of a scout to try and scout the oppositions line up anyway?

ExRes

Established Member
Can't understand all this doodah over the Palace - Cardiff teamsheet, surely every team, especially at Premier level, know everything there is to know about every opposition player and any manager worth his salt will know the likely side that the oppo will put out and any alternatives that are possible

Seems to me that Cardiff are so desperate they're just looking for any way of getting some points even though they were outplayed and justly beaten on the pitch

I don't care whether Palace have ignored the 'spirit of the game', whatever that means these days, nobody else in football takes any notice of it