• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Huddersfield Town 0 - 1 Burton Albion

Well, we'll need a miracle for automatic now, and recent form even puts a slight question mark over the play-offs... which might not be a bad thing, as if the last two results show us anything, it's that our approach to a Championship promotion race is a bit naive.
We seem to be suffering the same issues as Arsenal- namely trying to walk the ball in rather than fighting fire with fire when sides come and park the bus. A stonewall penalty shout on 25 mins which wasn't given seemed to affect the players more than it should, and then Dean Whitehead, who should know better, rises to provocation and gets a second yellow. It might actually be better if the wheels come off completely and we miss out on the inevitable play-off heartache.

All credit to Burton,who did a job on us and earned a vital 3 points in their relegation fight.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Evo Stik First Division North

Hyde United 5...Ramsbottom United 0

Hyde's biggest win of the season and also the double over mid-table Ramsbottom. Hyde scored in the 1st and 90th minute with the other three goals equidistantly spaced in-between and this result consolidated their 10th league position.

96tommy

York 3-0 Braintree

Survival looking more likely, there was a good buzz before the match and we took the lead early on when Jon Parkin scored a brilliant free kick inside 20 minutes. Just before the stroke of half time, Asa Hall doubled our lead before a late Amari Morgan Smith finish sealed all 3 points. Next up another big match for us at home with Bromley the visitors on Tuesday for our game in hand which if we win, we climb out of the dreaded bottom 4.

Lankyline

Huddersfield Town 0 - 1 Burton Albion

Well, we'll need a miracle for automatic now, and recent form even puts a slight question mark over the play-offs... which might not be a bad thing, as if the last two results show us anything, it's that our approach to a Championship promotion race is a bit naive.

Everyone's wobbling at the moment, we should have beaten Forest on sat but have an opportunity to put that right against Bristol City tomorrow night, drawing against Forest just means we have to take min 4 points from the 2 away games we have against you guys and Leeds,

Our run in looks like this,

Bristol City H
Leeds A
Huddersfield A
Norwich H
Newcastle A
Rotherham H
Wolves A

DarloRich

Veteran Member
York 3-0 Braintree

Survival looking more likely, there was a good buzz before the match and we took the lead early on when Jon Parkin scored a brilliant free kick inside 20 minutes. Just before the stroke of half time, Asa Hall doubled our lead before a late Amari Morgan Smith finish sealed all 3 points. Next up another big match for us at home with Bromley the visitors on Tuesday for our game in hand which if we win, we climb out of the dreaded bottom 4.

York will stay up now - I told you "BIG" John Parkin was the answer!

Drogba11CFC

Paulton Rovers 2...Winchester City 0 (Matheus 39, 81, Gibbons m/pen 36; Davies s/o 35)

Poor finishing and absent players consigned Winchester City to yet another defeat near the former Somerset & Dorset. It didn't help that the referee judged 45 yards to be the range of a clear goalscoring opportunity (despite covering players) and sent City's manager off after 35 minutes, for a foul on a former Winchester City player. Paulton soon took the lead after missing a penalty when their striker ran onto a pinpoint pass. City took the second half to the hosts but ended up two behind after conceding a carbon copy of the first goal.

Other Results:

AFC Totton vs Bideford Abandoned at half time (Waterlogged Pitch)

Barnstaple Town 3...Slimbridge 1

Bridgwater Town 1...Didcot Town 2

Hereford 3...Wantage Town 2

Larkhall Athletic 1...Wimborne Town 0

North Leigh 1...Bishops Cleeve 0

Shortwood United 0...Salisbury 3

Taunton Town 6 (SIX)...Mangotsfield United 1

Tiverton Town 2...Evesham United 1

Yate Town 1...Swindon Supermarine 2

League Table:
C. Hereford 37/96
--------------------------------
2. Taunton Town 38/80
3. Tiverton Town 38/78
4. Salisbury 38/77
5. Evesham United 38/73
---------------------------------------
6. Swindon Supermarine 38/68
10. Wimborne Town 37/54
11. Shortwood United 37/53
12. Winchester City 38/52
13. Larkhall Athletic 38/48
17. Barnstaple Town 37/41
18. Yate Town 37/34
19. Slimbridge 38/34
20. AFC Totton 37/32
------------------------------
R. Wantage Town 37/18
R. Bridgwater Town 38/10

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
York 3-0 Braintree

Well, if we get out of this then I give all credit to Mills. His signings are the ones performing for us right now.

York will stay up now - I told you "BIG" John Parkin was the answer!

Indeed! Feed the Beast and he will score...

96tommy

Well, if we get out of this then I give all credit to Mills. His signings are the ones performing for us right now.

I agree. The likes of Parslow and Newton have added that bit of experience Sackie McNamara bought to the club. Incidentally, I spoke to Jackie Mc, the other week. Comes across a nice bloke but my word, his signings let him down big time. The Conference is a league for experienced players, not young players bought in hoped to be signed off for profit.

Lankyline

Preston 5 - Bristol City 0

Now 5 pts off 6th and 8 pts off 5th which is Leeds, who we play on Sat, win that and the playoffs are a definite reality.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Preston 5 - Bristol City 0

Now 5 pts off 6th and 8 pts off 5th which is Leeds, who we play on Sat, win that and the playoffs are a definite reality.

Thanks for avenging us!

Hope you beat Beeston on Saturday, but then do please have an off-day on Good Friday, which will be the only home game I'll miss this season. I've really enjoyed this season but I'm worried the wheels might've come off now. Certainly don't fancy meeting you guys in the play-offs!

Established Member
Finally back to winning ways tonight, with a comfortable 2-0 win over Rotherham thanks to a brace from Steven Fletcher.

96tommy

Went to Newcastle v Burton last night and cam honestly say never seen like it before. Flanagan fouled Gayle in the box and we got a penalty. Ritchie scored - 1-0. However the ref gives an indirect free kick for a foul apparently committed by Gayle as Ritchie was running to take the pen. Even though Gayle didn't even touch someone the laws say a retake should have been taken.

The level of refereeing in the championship this season has been shocking. The noise of the boos around the ground was deafening. How 50000 knew the rule and the 1 who doesn't was running the match is pure incompetence. Fortunately Ritchie scored a screamer in the 2nd half but if we hadn't have won I don't know what would have happened.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Went to Newcastle v Burton last night and cam honestly say never seen like it before. Flanagan fouled Gayle in the box and we got a penalty. Ritchie scored - 1-0. However the ref gives an indirect free kick for a foul apparently committed by Gayle as Ritchie was running to take the pen. Even though Gayle didn't even touch someone the laws say a retake should have been taken.

The level of refereeing in the championship this season has been shocking. The noise of the boos around the ground was deafening. How 50000 knew the rule and the 1 who doesn't was running the match is pure incompetence. Fortunately Ritchie scored a screamer in the 2nd half but if we hadn't have won I don't know what would have happened.

Refereeing has indeed been pretty poor this season, though it seems to be 50% unconscious bias towards the big/fashionable/Southern teams, and 50% just pure incompetence. Newcastle in particular have had the rub of the green in several games. Stroud has now apologised for "misapplication of the laws of the game".

Huddersfield Town 3 - 0 Norwich City
Kachunga 66, Mooy 70, Wells 73

A game largely dominated by Town, but lacking real quality at the sharp end until an error by Norwich was punished by Elias Kachunga, scoring Town's first in 3 games and his first since making his loan move from Ingolstadt permanent. This opened the floodgates for a 7 minute flurry, which left Norwich looking very much like a ship without a rudder. Alex Tettey should've been sent off after somehow not being booked for a foul identical to the one which earned his first yellow... but it seems churlish to moan too much about that- more annoyed that if we'd turned up for the two previous games we'd now be 3 points behind Brighton with a game in hand, though still with shocking goal-difference!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Newcastle in particular have had the rub of the green in several games.

As an impartial watcher- and I am impartial, I'm a Bantam not a Magpie- I'd disagree with that. Some of the decisions that have gone against Newcastle this year- I'm thinking of Forest away in particular- have been atrocious.

Stroud has now apologised for "misapplication of the laws of the game".

Shame he didn't stop and engage his brain when 52,000 people were telling him that he's an idiot.

Shame it's not the first time from that referee.

Huddersfield Town 3 - 0 Norwich City

How much I want you to go up entirely depends on how much the bonus clause from the sale of Judas Wells is ;)

96tommy

Rub of the green? Clearly haven't watched us much.

Even the first game v Fulham we had 2 clear penalties not given. Then there was Steve Martin who sent 2 of our players off vs Forest and these were later overturned. That could still cause us to miss promotion.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Rub of the green? Clearly haven't watched us much.

Even the first game v Fulham we had 2 clear penalties not given. Then there was Steve Martin who sent 2 of our players off vs Forest and these were later overturned. That could still cause us to miss promotion.

You had the rub of the green at our spot the other week... admittedly that's the only time I've seen you though! It would take a miracle for you to miss out on automatic now, just as it'll take us a miracle to make It!

familyguy99

Oldham 2-0 Fleetwood

Huge win for Oldham as they beat third place Fleetwood to go three points clear of drop zone and now sit 17th in table. I feel Oldham just need one more win in final four matches to stay in third tier of English football for 21 season in row.

Well done to Sheff Utd who beat Northampton 2-1 mean they are promotion back to Championship division after six years stay in League one.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Birmingham's fall under Zola has been quite something, 2 wins in 21 I believe.

Congratulations also due for Doncaster today, climbing back to League 1 at the first attempt.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Evo Stik First Division North

Hyde United 4...Clitheroe 4

A good match with many chances created by both sides between two teams just above the mid-table mark. 1-1 at half-time then the lead changed hands twice and Hyde must have thought they had won it, leading 4-2 with only nine minutes to play, but a good response by Clitheroe saw them equalise before the end.

Clitheroe now in 9th place and Hyde in 10th place. Hyde have now been undefeated in their last six league matches.

Established Member
Seems like nobody wants to be in the Championship play-offs this season, apart from Leeds and Fulham.

Our deserved 2-1 win over Newcastle (completing the double over arguably the best team in the league) shows we haven't given up on promotion, although it's still not as foregone as it could have been owing to the poor run we had in March. Fulham are our biggest threat at the moment, but we do have the advantage of still needing to play them again (at home), although I'd rather if a play off place was confirmed a bit earlier rather than the final day of the season.

I'm pleased to see Steven Fletcher scored again today, clearly Carlos' choice to give him another start after his brace against Rotherham was a good one. Hopefully he can score a few more in the run in to the end of the season.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A good day for darlo yesterday beating Tamworth 3-2 at home to move back into the playoff places - games to go and still very tight between 2nd and 7th.

Results went forum yesterday and it will go to the wire as they say

Drogba11CFC

Winchester City 0...Larkhall Athletic 0 (Lyons m/pen 43)

Winchester City picked up their first point in a month after holding Larkhall. The visitors had a penalty in the first half which they dragged wide, while City threatened much in the second half but managed little.

Other Results:

Barnstaple Town 2...AFC Totton 1

Bishops Cleeve 3...Bridgwater Town 0

Didcot Town 2...Wimborne Town 0

Evesham United 1...Mangotsfield United 0

Paulton Rovers 3...Shortwood United 1

Salisbury 7 (SEVEN)...Wantage Town 0

Slimbridge 2...Bideford 0

Swindon Supermarine 2...Tiverton Town 2

Taunton Town 1...Hereford 1

Yate Town 3...North Leigh 2

League Table:
C. Hereford 38/97
----------------------------------
2. Taunton Town 39/81
3. Salisbury 39/80
4. Tiverton Town 39/79
5. Evesham United 39/76
----------------------------------
6. Swindon Supermarine 39/69
10. Wimborne Town 39/54
11. Winchester City 39/53
12. Shortwood United 39/53
13. Larkhall Athletic 39/49
17. Barnstaple Town 39/44
18. Yate Town 38/37
19. Slimbridge 39/37
20. AFC Totton 38/32
-----------------------------------
R. Wantage Town 39/18
R. Bridgwater Town 39/10

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
A good day for darlo yesterday beating Tamworth 3-2 at home to move back into the playoff places - games to go and still very tight between 2nd and 7th.

Results went forum yesterday and it will go to the wire as they say

Noting as I often do, the Vanarama National League North, I suppose that one result brought a laugh from you when "moneybags" AFC Fylde lost 2-1 at Stalybridge Celtic over the weekend.

A sober note to remember is when clubs are promoted from this league to the big major non-league division above it, there can be a very big difference in the quality of the opposition that you have to face. The last champions of the National League North, Solihull Moors, found this out at the weekend when they were thrashed 9-0 by Tranmere Rovers.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Noting as I often do, the Vanarama National League North, I suppose that one result brought a laugh from you when "moneybags" AFC Fylde lost 2-1 at Stalybridge Celtic over the weekend.

that was a shock and it means Kidderminster (2nd) can still catch Fylde for the title. Salford drew 3-3 at Harrogate to really close up the play off pack. Only 4 points between 7th and second now.

A sober note to remember is when clubs are promoted from this league to the big major non-league division above it, there can be a very big difference in the quality of the opposition that you have to face. The last champions of the National League North, Solihull Moors, found this out at the weekend when they were thrashed 9-0 by Tranmere Rovers.

Fylde and Salford will be ok. We would struggle both on and off the pitch and I doubt we could afford to go full time.

Lankyline

Thanks for avenging us!

Hope you beat Beeston on Saturday, but then do please have an off-day on Good Friday, which will be the only home game I'll miss this season. I've really enjoyed this season but I'm worried the wheels might've come off now. Certainly don't fancy meeting you guys in the play-offs!

Well after our result against Leeds and the Wed result against Newcastle that's pretty much put paid to our playoff ambitions for this season, it'll take a minor miracle now for us to get into the top 6.