• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Kite159

Veteran Member
Harry Kane certainly ended his goal tally well with four goals in the penultimate game and three goals in the final game of this season.

And how long before Real Madrid/Barcelona come calling with a silly amount of money, so that Mr Kane decides to follow Mr Bail & heads abroad?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Chelsea, a club with no class or pedigree, subbed John Terry in the 26th minute so he could get a guard of honour - DURING THE GAME.

It's not a testimonial, and I don't like seeing those stunts, particularly not for John Terry, the crown prince of footballing arseholery.

Darandio

Established Member
Chelsea, a club with no class or pedigree, subbed John Terry in the 26th minute so he could get a guard of honour - DURING THE GAME.

It's not a testimonial, and I don't like seeing those stunts, particularly not for John Terry, the crown prince of footballing arseholery.

And Sunderland agreed to it pre-match, stating that they would put the ball out of play to facilitate it.

Doesn't sit well with me at all.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Had a cheeky trip to Wembley today for Non League Finals Day - it was a great advert for semi-pro football. 9 goals in 2 games and an attendance across the two of over 38,000.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
York City won the FA Trophy today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39994737
York City bounced back from the disappointment of their relegation from National League to beat Macclesfield Town and win the FA Trophy at Wembley.
Aiden Connolly stabbed home with four minutes left to secure victory.
The Minstermen had led twice already, with goals from Jon Parkin and Vadaine Oliver cancelled out by Macclesfield pair Rhys Browne and Danny Whitaker.
Earlier on Non-League Finals Day, South Shields beat fellow ninth-tier side Cleethorpes 4-0 to win the FA Vase.
The Northern League Division One club beat Cleethorpes, of the Northern Counties East Premier Division, thanks to David Foley's brace and further goals from Carl Finnigan and Dillon Morse.
A crowd of 38,224 was in attendance to witness the two finals at Wembley
I was fortunate to get a free ticket, thanks to another forum member. I understand several forum members were at the game, so hopefully you all enjoyed it.

Thanks to VTEC doing a set swap on my outward train, I actually ended up sat opposite a friend who had booked completely separately to me!

Hopefully those of you who I left at the Fares Workshop had a good day too; it was a bit strange going from running a fares workshop to entering a football stadium within a short space of time!

It was pleasing to see Arsenal's petulant supporters (I am sure they're not all like that, but many of them do appear to be) miss out on a Champions League spot. They certainly have no automatic right to it, and others I spoke to today agree. The attitude of some of their more vocal supporters is absolutely appalling. And just to stick the boot in a bit more, I will add that I think Harry Kane certainly deserves the Golden Boot!

Drogba11CFC

Bore off Mary Whitehouse.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
It is absolutely tragic though. Fair enough subbing him in the 26th minute but the guard of honour and Sunderland willing to break play if necessary? Christ help us, I'd want to die if my team did that. I remember a time when you just went mental, had all the flags / chants etc, then they got an elongated lap of honour afterwards. For the good of the sport, we cannot have such sycophancy.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It is absolutely tragic though. Fair enough subbing him in the 26th minute but the guard of honour and Sunderland willing to break play if necessary? Christ help us, I'd want to die if my team did that. I remember a time when you just went mental, had all the flags / chants etc, then they got an elongated lap of honour afterwards. For the good of the sport, we cannot have such sycophancy.

Only Chelsea would have pulled such a stunt. Same club that has to put clappers on the seats to "generate atmosphere".

If Liverpool had done that with Stevie G I'd have hid in embarrassment. And for Sunderland to "agree to put the ball out"? What unprofessionalism to agree that in advance. Yeah, just put the ball out, because the game doesn't matter. How offensive to people who came to watch the football game. Play the whole game and try your hardest the whole game.

If I'd have been playing I'd have made damn sure I didn't put the ball out on purpose.

96tommy

After promising myself I wouldn't go if we got relegated I ended up going. Annoyingly I had just come back to Yorkshire from my home in London on the Friday night but I couldn't not see City at Wembley.

3-2 win in the end. Not our best performance but when you have great players such as Parkin and Oliver who are clinical with their chances I would say we deserved it in the end.

3rd goal given to Connolly but I will always see it as Parkin's goal.

Antman

Established Member

Clearly you have some grudge against Chelsea and JT?:oops:

It was a fairly meaningless end of season fixture and Sunderland sportingly went along with it, what harm was done?

In the game at Sunderland earlier this season Chelsea players were photographed with cancer victim Bradley Lowery, do you object to that 'stunt' as well? Chelsea invited Bradley to yesterdays game but unfortunately he wasn't well enough to attend, a nice gesture though for a club with "no class or pedigree"!

Last edited by a moderator:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Clearly you have some grudge against Chelsea and JT?:oops:

It was a fairly meaningless end of season fixture and Sunderland sportingly went along with it, what harm was done?

No grudge at all against Chelsea. Just wished to pass comment on a tasteless and pointlessly embarrassing stunt, which was thoroughly befitting Terry - the guy who sleeps with his mate's girlfriend, the guy who abused American tourists about 9/11, the guy who was suspended from the 2002 World Cup after he got into bother with a doorman, the guy who ****ed into a glass and emptied it onto the floor of a nightclub, the guy who racially abused Ledley King, the guy who's father is a coke dealer, the guy who parks in disabled spaces, the guy who took £10k in a brown paper bag to show a reporter round the Chelsea training ground without permission, the guy who was stripped of the England captaincy, the guy who called Anton Ferdinand a "f****** black c***" (and was NOT punished by Chelsea for this), etc etc etc.

That Chelsea did this for such an unpleasant man speaks volumes. Frank Lampard is ten times the man Terry could ever hope to be.

I can't imagine how embarrassing it must be to have had Terry as your No.1 player, the figurehead of the club. Most of the people who defend Terry are kids or Johnny-Come-Latelys.

Antman

Established Member
Had a cheeky trip to Wembley today for Non League Finals Day - it was a great advert for semi-pro football. 9 goals in 2 games and an attendance across the two of over 38,000.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

South Shields victory left a bad taste in my mouth after the floodlight fiasco against Morpeth Town but well done York City, slightly softens the blow of relegation.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
In the game at Sunderland earlier this season Chelsea players were photographed with cancer victim Bradley Lowery, do you object to that 'stunt' as well? Chelsea invited Bradley to yesterdays game but unfortunately he wasn't well enough to attend, a nice gesture though for a club with "no class or pedigree"!

That you would bring up a publicity event involving a child with terminal cancer to defend Chelsea's (and their fans', and Terry's) tremendously bad PR record is sad and desperate.

Give over!

Antman

Established Member
No grudge at all against Chelsea. Just wished to pass comment on a tasteless and pointlessly embarrassing stunt, which was thoroughly befitting Terry - the guy who sleeps with his mate's girlfriend, the guy who abused American tourists about 9/11, the guy who was suspended from the 2002 World Cup after he got into bother with a doorman, the guy who ****ed into a glass and emptied it onto the floor of a nightclub, the guy who racially abused Ledley King, the guy who's father is a coke dealer, the guy who parks in disabled spaces, the guy who took £10k in a brown paper bag to show a reporter round the Chelsea training ground without permission, the guy who was stripped of the England captaincy, the guy who called Anton Ferdinand a "f****** black c***" (and was NOT punished by Chelsea for this), etc etc etc.

That Chelsea did this for such an unpleasant man speaks volumes. Frank Lampard is ten times the man Terry could ever hope to be.

I can't imagine how embarrassing it must be to have had Terry as your No.1 player, the figurehead of the club. Most of the people who defend Terry are kids or Johnny-Come-Latelys.

A bit of an exaggeration perhaps, yes JT has let himself down on occasions but all the good things he's done conveniently get overlooked. Probably the best English central defender since the late Bobby Moore?

Antman

Established Member
That you would bring up a publicity event involving a child with terminal cancer to defend Chelsea's (and their fans', and Terry's) tremendously bad PR record is sad and desperate.

Give over!

It's called redressing the balance!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

Oh right, I see, that's what it was about (!)

(I suspect it wasn't, Chelsea aren't that cynical, and I think maybe you need to let it rest and realise that only time will heal Chelsea's very bad reputation).

SteveP29

In the game at Sunderland earlier this season Chelsea players were photographed with cancer victim Bradley Lowery, do you object to that 'stunt' as well?

That 'stunt' didn't happen DURING a game.

In some ways, this could be looked at as match fixing. Imagine the outcry if the Asian betting markets had got wind of it and had laid millions of pounds in bets?

Personally I think both clubs should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute

Darandio

Established Member

There is absolutely no comparison between the two and it's a disgrace to state otherwise.

Now, Chelsea fans understandably adore Terry for his footballing achievements and conveniently overlook the fact that he is a terrible role model. However, by all means give him a guard of honour before or after the game, not in the 26th minute of a scheduled fixture, dead rubber or not.

Antman

Established Member
That 'stunt' didn't happen DURING a game.

In some ways, this could be looked at as match fixing. Imagine the outcry if the Asian betting markets had got wind of it and had laid millions of pounds in bets?

Personally I think both clubs should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute

If it was a vital game the result of which could effect another club then I could perhaps understand the objections but it was just an end of season dead rubber.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

This wasn't in a testimonial match but in a premier league game.The whole display was sickening and the level of sycophancy was disgusting. Both clubs should be fined for bringing the game into disrepute and Terry should have been booked for time wasting. Chelsea are a terrible club into which John Terry fitted perfectly. A terrible club for an odious man.

Antman

Established Member
This wasn't in a testimonial match but in a premier league game.The whole display was sickening and the level of sycophancy was disgusting. Both clubs should be fined for bringing the game into disrepute and Terry should have been booked for time wasting. Chelsea are a terrible club into which John Terry fitted perfectly. A terrible club for an odious man.

So if the same gesture had been done by another club and for another player it would have been ok?